Diablo III Beta Now Live

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Seen the game play and this game looks very new and up to date, if it was released 4 years ago, because of their own greed(removing lan, online only mode, player made cash shop, removing cheats, ) it delayed their game by a year or two now it looks just as good as any other generic D2 clone, the only thing really holding this game up is the fact that blizzard made it but at this point it means nothing.

The people that cant wait for it, or are dying to play are just waiting for the brand name not the actual game kinda like people that buy COD every year

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Nope, didn't get an email. Whatever. I learned a long time ago to not actively wait on Blizzard for anything. No point. If I get a Beta invite, cool. If not, cool. They'll get done when they get done.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
ionveau said:
Seen the game play and this game looks very new and up to date, if it was released 4 years ago, because of their own greed(removing lan, online only mode, player made cash shop, removing cheats, ) it delayed their game by a year or two now it looks just as good as any other generic D2 clone, the only thing really holding this game up is the fact that blizzard made it but at this point it means nothing.

The people that cant wait for it, or are dying to play are just waiting for the brand name not the actual game kinda like people that buy COD every year
Removing features (scratch that: Not putting features in), last I checked, does not delay games. This seems like baseless ranting rather than an actual criticism of the game.

Stick Antolini

Jun 3, 2010
Wuvlycuddles said:
The real money auction house is a big fecking problem for me, I think it is a sick, money grubbing idea that legitimises gold selling and is more than likely the REAL reason for online only. I mean, ANYONE who thinks they could actually make ANY money from it is sorely mistaken and totally deluded.

Man, I get REALLY enraged by this. More than I should probably, but this crosses a line for me, more so than any intrusive DRM measures or online passes or any of the crap publishers pull to get a little more money and I wish, just this one time, please, that people wouldn't buy into this crap, but they will and I will be sad. ANYONE WHO READS THIS! Please do not buy D3, but if you do and I know you probably will, do not use the real money auction house, ever, that crap has to die.
clearly you never played Diablo 2 online, Blizzard did this because of all of the black market selling outside of the game, people were getting swindled out of ridiculous amounts of money due to false sites and so Blizzard is trying to keep an eye on it by putting it in game, this is in fact a very good idea.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Ferisar said:
ionveau said:

Removing features (scratch that: Not putting features in), last I checked, does not delay games. This seems like baseless ranting rather than an actual criticism of the game.
What are you talking about? making a system where your game actions are always checked and removing any freedom of editing items and cheats, that takes time to do.

Please can you kindly tell me why this game can even hold up to anything else being released, yes i know it will break sales records but you cant really say the game is good because of this not after COD breaks records every time its released

OMGIllithan

Mar 28, 2009
ionveau said:
Ferisar said:
ionveau said:

What are you talking about? making a system where your game actions are always checked and removing any freedom of editing items and cheats, that takes time to do.

Please can you kindly tell me why this game can even hold up to anything else being released, yes i know it will break sales records but you cant really say the game is good because of this not after COD breaks records every time its released
Have you played Diablo 2 at all and realize that many people have sunk more time into it than most (if not all) other non-Blizzard games because of how fun it was? Have you checked out the D3 skill trees the the incredible amount of customizability? Are you aware of Blizzard's reputation for making amazing fucking games have long lasting appeal? Are you aware of Blizzard's reputation for constantly supporting, balancing, and listening to community feedback for their games long, LONG after they're released?

Thats just a few reasons why people are excited for this game. If you're going to compare this to COD (which is difficult regardless since Blizzard games aren't even in the same genre), tell me what balances and changes Activision has made to their game to help maintain and improve the experience for it's players, aside from $15 DLC 5 map packs.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
No beta invite in my mailbox yet, however, I did find out that I can enlarge my penis. So, it was not a total loss.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Love the auction-house idea, love the emphasis on co-operative online play (D2 on 'open Battle.net' was hacked to death) - can't wait!

ForceSC2strategy is uploading nice-quality LP's for each character class to YouTube.

S4mDoomFish

Mar 28, 2009
No new mail displayed, but I went checking anyways.
Suddenly, a new junk mail!!
Could it possibly be?!
OMGOMGOMGOMG
"Best-Penis" "Max-Gentleman*Enlargement*Pills"

f*ck you, internet

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
Low Key said:
I lost interest in Diablo 3 after I heard it required an internet connection at all times. If cheating is such an issue, then having two separate characters, one for local and one for online, would be a better solution. Because if I feel like cheating in a game, then I'll cheat in the game. Fuck you Blizzard.
Seriously?

The online only part is what you take issue with?

The real money auction house is a big fecking problem for me, I think it is a sick, money grubbing idea that legitimises gold selling and is more than likely the REAL reason for online only. I mean, ANYONE who thinks they could actually make ANY money from it is sorely mistaken and totally deluded.

Man, I get REALLY enraged by this. More than I should probably, but this crosses a line for me, more so than any intrusive DRM measures or online passes or any of the crap publishers pull to get a little more money and I wish, just this one time, please, that people wouldn't buy into this crap, but they will and I will be sad. ANYONE WHO READS THIS! Please do not buy D3, but if you do and I know you probably will, do not use the real money auction house, ever, that crap has to die.
Well, I'm sure you're not alone in this belief, but I think the Real Money Auction House is a good idea. I'm 100% I won't make any money with this, but it will indeed legitimize gold selling... because that was the entire point. Gold selling will always exist, whether legitimate or not, so why not sanction it officially to eliminate part of the scammers, hackers, assholes etc?

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
OMGIllithan said:
ionveau said:
Ferisar said:
ionveau said:

Have you played Diablo 2 at all and realize that many people have sunk more time into it than most (if not all) other non-Blizzard games because of how fun it was? Have you checked out the D3 skill trees the the incredible amount of customizability? Are you aware of Blizzard's reputation for making amazing fucking games have long lasting appeal? Are you aware of Blizzard's reputation for constantly supporting, balancing, and listening to community feedback for their games long, LONG after they're released?

Thats just a few reasons why people are excited for this game. If you're going to compare this to COD (which is difficult regardless since Blizzard games aren't even in the same genre), tell me what balances and changes Activision has made to their game to help maintain and improve the experience for it's players, aside from $15 DLC 5 map packs.
Your opinion would be 100% correct if this was 2004, sadly blizzard is too addicted to money and their games boil down too

Remake of old game with no creativity --> expansion --> expansion --> expansion
e.g diablo, fall out 2 and 1 where both top down 3 was first person, blizzard sits down and thinks.....nop that takes too much work just update the graphics and we're done

Trust me the last game blizzard ever made for the players was WC3, D3 is made to create profit the best example is the auction house, clearly 30-50% from every transaction is going too blizzard, And for what? moving bits of data on their servers.

As for lasting appeal...that's easy to explain,

Lets try sharing
I have WC3
I give it to my friend
He plays it and likes it

Lets try SC2
I have SC2
I give it to my friend
He cant play because he needs an account like its an MMO or something

lets try public locations

Im on a plane
Can i play WC3? Yes
Can i play D3 No

Lets try Being bored with the game

Im bored what else can i do?
D2-Make max level characters/Create Custom items/Max health mana/max damage/etc
WC3 Maps/cheats
SC2 Maps/cheats(But more controlled >_>)
D3 Sorry the Auction House is more important than your fun.

Overall everything that made blizzard games stand out is long gone

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Tzekelkan said:
Well, I'm sure you're not alone in this belief, but I think the Real Money Auction House is a good idea. I'm 100% I won't make any money with this, but it will indeed legitimize gold selling... because that was the entire point. Gold selling will always exist, whether legitimate or not, so why not sanction it officially to eliminate part of the scammers, hackers, assholes etc?
I'm not sure you realise that legitimising gold selling is akin to a clothing company cashing in on sweat shops, remember this story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam ?

You think account scamming/hacking is bad in WoW now? You just wait, if this has any success in D3 Blizzard will not give a second thought to transferring this model to WoW and if it has any success there how long before other companies will take notice?

Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself and being a little paranoid, but if you care about gaming you should hate this idea too.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
Tzekelkan said:
I'm not sure you realise that legitimising gold selling is akin to a clothing company cashing in on sweat shops, remember this story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam ?

You think account scamming/hacking is bad in WoW now? You just wait, if this has any success in D3 Blizzard will not give a second thought to transferring this model to WoW and if it has any success there how long before other companies will take notice?

Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself and being a little paranoid, but if you care about gaming you should hate this idea too.
So no Real Money Auction House means there will be no more chinese prisoners farming money? Don't get me wrong, if I could help these people without incomodating myself at all, I totally would. But these kinds of horrible things will go on whatever Blizzard does, and I have no idea how to prevent them, but to also buy Diablo 3 because it looks like a fun game. So what now?

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Tzekelkan said:
So no Real Money Auction House means there will be no more chinese prisoners farming money? Don't get me wrong, if I could help these people without incomodating myself at all, I totally would. But these kinds of horrible things will go on whatever Blizzard does, and I have no idea how to prevent them, but to also buy Diablo 3 because it looks like a fun game. So what now?
Of course not, but where you or I may do nothing to help that situation, Blizzard are actively trying to profit from it, doesn't that seem wrong to you?

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:

So those unofficial Diablo item sellers don't go hungry? Blizzard knows that people are going to start websites that sell items in this game so they preempted it by starting the auction house that way Jeff doesn't buy a perfect HoTO for $20 and have it poof the next day.

OMGIllithan

Mar 28, 2009
ionveau said:
OMGIllithan said:
ionveau said:
Ferisar said:
ionveau said:

Your opinion would be 100% correct if this was 2004, sadly blizzard is too addicted to money and their games boil down too

e.g diablo, fall out 2 and 1 where both top down 3 was first person, blizzard sits down and thinks.....nop that takes too much work just update the graphics and we're done
Every expansion for every game Blizzard has made vast improvements to the game and added exciting new content which increased the game's lifespan at least twofold. Diablo 2:Lord of Destruction added a new act, sockets, new items, two new classes, and runes. Frozen Throne added new heroes, new units, a full new campaign, and improved custom map making functionality. Each wow expansion (and to a lesser extent patch) has added vast amounts of new content that any other game in the same genre can hardly compete with. And Starcraft 2 (I 'll just guess from how negative your outlook is that it can be considered an expansion) added a vastly improved matchmaking system, featured an interface that was cleaner and much easier to use and learn, and became an e-sport that is arguably the most popular e-sport today (Though thanks to Dota 2 not quite the highest paying).

ionveau said:
Trust me the last game blizzard ever made for the players was WC3, D3 is made to create profit the best example is the auction house, clearly 30-50% from every transaction is going too blizzard, And for what? moving bits of data on their servers.
If you did any research and thought for a few seconds you would see that the RMAH was not only a good business decision for Blizzard, but it also benefited everyone else as well. Diablo 2 was full of scams with people trying to buy, sell, and dupe items. Because of how D3 is structured compared to wow (no soulbound items), theres nothing at all stopping the item selling business from starting in D3. Instead of trying to prevent it (which is difficult enough in wow as it is), Blizzard made the decision to sanction it in a safe environment. This not only benefits Blizzard by being able to make some off of the deal, but it also protects the players from being scammed. It is not Blizzard's fault that people are willing to shell out money for real items and it is stupid and immature to be pissed at them for making a smart business decision. Seeming weird or greedy isn't enough justification to hate it.

ionveau said:
Lets try SC2
I have SC2
I give it to my friend
Your argument has NOTHING to do with the quality of the game. This has to do with Blizzard changing from a CD key based model to a license based model for distributing their games. This does not prevent your friend from playing on your account, only from posting your copy of the game on the internet for others to use.

ionveau said:

Im on a plane
Can i play WC3? Yes
Can i play D3 No
I'm so sick of this argument. Unless you travel a LOT, you're likely going to be on a plane less than 24 hours a year. 24 hours without Diablo 3... Oh. my. god. I think the world is ending, someone prepare the bomb shelter.

ionveau said:

WC3 Maps/cheats
Then play a new game if you're bored? Games aren't meant to be played forever. The magic of Blizzard games is that despite the negative weight you've attached to each one of these games, they've still managed to be great games that entertain us long after most other games stopped. In my opinion, that makes them have much more of a value overall.

ionveau said:
Stating opinions like this without basing them on anything pollutes the community. I don't mind debating points but you have to base them off of something other than "Well look Blizzard is lazy because they only have 3 ips" or "But I can't play this game in a submarine!"

OMGIllithan

Mar 28, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
Tzekelkan said:

That is NOT an legitimate comparison at all, Blizzard is NOT forcing people to use the auction house while paying them bottom of the line wages to do so. You're also NOT FORCED TO USE IT. If you don't like it, don't use it! Simple.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
OMGIllithan said:
ionveau said:
OMGIllithan said:
ionveau said:
Ferisar said:
ionveau said:

Every expansion for every game Blizzard has made vast improvements to the game and added exciting new content which increased the game's lifespan at least twofold. Diablo 2:Lord of Destruction added a new act, sockets, new items, two new classes, and runes. Frozen Throne added new heroes, new units, a full new campaign, and improved custom map making functionality. Each wow expansion (and to a lesser extent patch) has added vast amounts of new content that any other game in the same genre can hardly compete with. And Starcraft 2 (I 'll just guess from how negative your outlook is that it can be considered an expansion) added a vastly improved matchmaking system, featured an interface that was cleaner and much easier to use and learn, and became an e-sport that is arguably the most popular e-sport today (Though thanks to Dota 2 not quite the highest paying).

ionveau said:
If you did any research and thought for a few seconds you would see that the RMAH was not only a good business decision for Blizzard, but it also benefited everyone else as well. Diablo 2 was full of scams with people trying to buy, sell, and dupe items. Because of how D3 is structured compared to wow (no soulbound items), theres nothing at all stopping the item selling business from starting in D3. Instead of trying to prevent it (which is difficult enough in wow as it is), Blizzard made the decision to sanction it in a safe environment. This not only benefits Blizzard by being able to make some off of the deal, but it also protects the players from being scammed. It is not Blizzard's fault that people are willing to shell out money for real items and it is stupid and immature to be pissed at them for making a smart business decision. Seeming weird or greedy isn't enough justification to hate it.

ionveau said:
Lets try SC2
I have SC2
I give it to my friend
Your argument has NOTHING to do with the quality of the game. This has to do with Blizzard changing from a CD key based model to a license based model for distributing their games. This does not prevent your friend from playing on your account, only from posting your copy of the game on the internet for others to use.

ionveau said:

Im on a plane
Can i play WC3? Yes
Can i play D3 No
I'm so sick of this argument. Unless you travel a LOT, you're likely going to be on a plane less than 24 hours a year. 24 hours without Diablo 3... Oh. my. god. I think the world is ending, someone prepare the bomb shelter.

ionveau said:

WC3 Maps/cheats
Then play a new game if you're bored? Games aren't meant to be played forever. The magic of Blizzard games is that despite the negative weight you've attached to each one of these games, they've still managed to be great games that entertain us long after most other games stopped. In my opinion, that makes them have much more of a value overall.

ionveau said:
Stating opinions like this without basing them on anything pollutes the community. I don't mind debating points but you have to base them off of something other than "Well look Blizzard is lazy because they only have 3 ips" or "But I can't play this game in a submarine!"
I would say agree with half of your opinions on the bases that they are at least half your own opinions.

*Sorry i dont have time to do the whole quotes thingy*

"Every expansion for every game Blizzard has made vast improvements to the game and added exciting new content which increased the game's lifespan at least twofold. Diablo 2:Lord of Destruction added a new act, sockets, new items, two new classes, and runes. Frozen Throne added new heroes, new units, a full new campaign, and improved custom map making functionality."

I said after 2004 all these games where made before 2004

"Each wow expansion (and to a lesser extent patch) has added vast amounts of new content that any other game in the same genre can hardly compete with."

Blizzards formula for expansions,
One major raid.
Two small raids.
Bump all stats and levels so that players are forced to buy it rather than it being an option.
5 zones
A few New monster models or just reskins
New spells
Actual Bug fixes
Three patches over the life span of the expansion.

Blizzards formula for Patches(patches tend to be one/3months so around $45 for hardcore players
One Major Raid
Small number changes, E.G paladins now do 300 damage with crusader strike up from 295
Icon changes?
?????????????

Sure they are content but nothing is really new...the last major thing blizzard added would be flying mounts. everything else feels like its automated all item stat combinations are just copy+paste+30% stats patch to patch

"And Starcraft 2 (I 'll just guess from how negative your outlook is that it can be considered an expansion) added a vastly improved matchmaking system, featured an interface that was cleaner and much easier to use and learn, and became an e-sport that is arguably the most popular e-sport today (Though thanks to Dota 2 not quite the highest paying)."

From what i understand blizzard just took how WC3 worked and made it very strict and controlled, it takes me over 3min to load my map list because blizzards servers are that slow nothing new with SC2 they could have released a less detailed expansion for WC3 about space and it would have been the same thing.
the interface is just WC3 with a sci-fi theme, If anything they got lazy with the icons.

"If you did any research and thought for a few seconds you would see that the RMAH was not only a good business decision for Blizzard, but it also benefited everyone else as well. Diablo 2 was full of scams with people trying to buy, sell, and dupe items. Because of how D3 is structured compared to wow (no soulbound items), theres nothing at all stopping the item selling business from starting in D3. Instead of trying to prevent it (which is difficult enough in wow as it is), Blizzard made the decision to sanction it in a safe environment. This not only benefits Blizzard by being able to make some off of the deal, but it also protects the players from being scammed. It is not Blizzard's fault that people are willing to shell out money for real items and it is stupid and immature to be pissed at them for making a smart business decision. Seeming weird or greedy isn't enough justification to hate it."

Yes that is what blizzard told you, In the real world these actions are true in 0.0001% of users, normal people just used Bots(and bots will be used in D3), or used editing to get those items, your forgetting that D2 was an RPG not a MMO, every single online game has these problems but i dont see mine craft opening "Block auction house" to combat mine craft block selling.

Again Blizzard loves to lie to kids and they fall for it every time.

And explain how dose it benefit me when i know in the back of my head that this guy in front of me may have dropped 50$ to get his gear and that 25$out of those 50$ went to blizzard as a transaction fee, sorry i dont like pay to win, even if it's players selling to players, at least with shady sites people that wanted to cheat got burned while now they are rewarded. and again in D2 i would say 1 out of 10,000 people you would see would have payed for items now thanks to blizzard its going to be 1 out of 20.

"Your argument has NOTHING to do with the quality of the game. This has to do with Blizzard changing from a CD key based model to a license based model for distributing their games. This does not prevent your friend from playing on your account, only from posting your copy of the game on the internet for others to use."

SC1-CD-KEY based protection
SC2-MMO style account system that can easily be lost by the user

I lost my copy of WC3 years ago, now when my hard drives dies my WC3 will go down with it. The MMO style account system makes sure that only WoW players will always be able to login and play since an avrage person like me plays SC2 maybe once or twice in a span of 3 to 4 months, do you honestly expect me to keep track of my battle net account without writing it down? blizzard thinks too highly of them selves are have just isolated themselves to hardcore WoW/SC2 players since any average person will forget their account within a year if not played.

posting my game online for other to use? you mean like this? http://n4g.com/news/580631/starcraft-2-the-most-pirated-game-of-2010-so-far And i honestly dont see how that's a bad thing unless your a very selfish person.

Also about quality of the game.
SC1 time to load my Maps 5sec
SC2 time to load my Maps 5min.....still didnt load...need to restart my client again....still not loading....
Bob can you host this map and invite me? it wont load my map list for some reason......
bob did you invited me? i didnt get an invite....i didnt even see you online...jim it says you declined...
i didnt......it says your declining....wait let me restart.........
ok invite.......
thanks......
total time 20min

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
Tzekelkan said:
Of course not, but where you or I may do nothing to help that situation, Blizzard are actively trying to profit from it, doesn't that seem wrong to you?
I don't know, does it? It does benefit some players as well, as many seem to like the idea and want to use it. So... wouldn't it be also wrong to deprive such players of this wanted feature? I don't know!

Obviously, the matter is a bit grey. Blizzard isn't going to say, "We're doing it for the money!", even though they are, they all need their salaries to feed their families. But I really, really doubt they said, "OK, little children are working in China to farm gold, how can we profit from this?" The things you linked are unfortunate side-effects that will always exist regardless of what Blizzard does, unless they decide to stop making games. Even then, another company will just atke on their role of "profiting from harmful situations".

Why get so mad? You solve nothing about it that way. If you're really concerned about the health of your fellow human beings, don't just get mad and rant about it on some forum. Get an education related to your grief, travel over there and educate more people, or whatever.

It's easy to get riled up about such injustices, I know. I used to do it as well, but I realized argueing on some forum about whether it's wrong or not won't help anyone.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
ionveau said:
Wow. That's a lot of post.

So... you probably also think Left 4 Dead 2 should have been an expansion and given to all Left 4 Dead players for free, right? So you're saying Starcraft 2 only has enough content to be an expansion to Starcraft 1, right? And it should probably be priced as such, even though it came 12 years after the original? Well, I can't find anything to say to that.

Also, you seem to praise a lot the WC3 CD-key system. But then, you say you lost the key a long time ago. So, why was it that good if you were prone to losing it? And sure, you can just as easily "lose" a Battle.net account if you play only once every 3-4 months (unlike the hardcore playres!), but there are ways of getting it back. You do use an e-mail, right? If you can remember that, you can just go through the account retrieval procedure, which isn't available for lost CD-keys. Then, re-download the game. Easy.

You mentioned once that Blizzard likes to fool "kids", so I'll assume you're a middle-aged gamer. I don't want to sound condescending, but you need to get used to the online thing. You're going to need a lot of online accounts for a lot of things in the near future, as you may already need them now. So complaining about things going the online route is kinda "get off my lawn"-ish.