Diablo III Beta Rises from Hell This Summer

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Mr.Amakir said:
On question though, will the game have LAN and proper mod-support?
Probably no LAN. It is never confirmed, but it is safe to say it doesn't have LAN since Starcraft 2 didn't include it.
No map editor or UI mod support. (Confirmed in Blizzcon Q&A)
They said the tool to randomize the map is too hard to use, that said there is always going to be mods.
They also doesn't like the fact UI mod in WoW made the game more and more complicated. One of the goal since the first Diablo is anyone that can use a mouse can play it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
John Funk said:
DoctorPhil said:
And thus, Blizzards final franchise was raped. Rest in peace Blizzard, for you are dead. Except you are now an undying zombie that will regurtitate the same few games over and over.

Supp said:
Excuse me, what? This is post-WoW Blizzard we're talking about.
Blizzard has *never* had a good story in its games. Period. Nostalgia filter aside.

And as someone who's actually played D3, it's pretty damn awesome. Very much in line with D2 and D1.
Mr.Amakir said:
LAN, no. Proper mod-support, depends on what you mean.
That is very depressing. I preferred LAN over online in D2 :(

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
I WANT IT NOW DAMNIT! I will tear the skulls off children to get access to that beta.

Just getting some sort of release date schedule makes me feel better, even if its for a beta, and the full is still just "probably fall". Maybe be delayed some still, but its better than "it'll be done when its done".

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fappy said:
John Funk said:
DoctorPhil said:
And thus, Blizzards final franchise was raped. Rest in peace Blizzard, for you are dead. Except you are now an undying zombie that will regurtitate the same few games over and over.

Supp said:
Excuse me, what? This is post-WoW Blizzard we're talking about.
Blizzard has *never* had a good story in its games. Period. Nostalgia filter aside.

And as someone who's actually played D3, it's pretty damn awesome. Very much in line with D2 and D1.
Mr.Amakir said:
LAN, no. Proper mod-support, depends on what you mean.
That is very depressing. I preferred LAN over online in D2 :(
And I preferred LAN over online in D2, but if you just want to pick up and play I actually have grown to enjoy the new Battle.net. Yes, it has some serious issues but it's great for just playing quick matches with people. I don't miss LAN nearly as much with SC2 as I worried I might.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Just so I can balance out the overwhelming addiction I mean loyalty in this thread.
It can just go rot in obscurity, eleven years is too long to wait for what will inevitably be the same hack-n'-slash from eleven years ago.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Where the hell is the sign up button!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!igweio;gvbQIRHGC OIjht opi3!!

How much money blizzard, how much?!? Name a number and it's yours, just gimme that goddam beta!

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Grey_Focks said:
Where the hell is the sign up button!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!igweio;gvbQIRHGC OIjht opi3!!

How much money blizzard, how much?!? Name a number and it's yours, just gimme that goddam beta!
For the love of humanity I hope you're joking.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Still wondering how they'll sort out the online rooms. That and prevent gold sellers, D2 is plagued by them.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Inkidu said:
Grey_Focks said:

For the love of humanity I hope you're joking.
....You don't really get exaggerating do you? But no, I would gladly sacrifice all of your beloved humanity for the chance to play this game. Anything for Lord Diablo.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
You don't get sardonic wit, do you?

I'm going to spoil it:

Kill shit, sell loot, rinse and repeat until credits roll.

zero14777

May 29, 2010
I would sell my soul, my family, country, friends and my shiny new computer if it meant i would get to play this beta even if it was on my shitty laptop.

PS: Within the next 3 months you will hear of a teenager who died of lack of water in his room playing this beta, assuming it comes on time, and then you will know my name.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Inkidu said:

I'm going to spoil it:

WoW: Kill lizard. Then, kill lizard. Then find a friend to kill bigger lizard.
CoD: Shoot dudes.
Madden: Grab ball. Run forward.
Starcraft 2: Make units. Attack.

You can do that for any game. If you're douchebaggy enough.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
John Funk said:
Ok, I admit Warcraft 3 has a pretty mediocre plot/story (I liked the characters a lot though, wich I consider part of the story). I didn't like Starcraft: Broodwar's story at all, due to the characters periodicly having the idiot ball slipped into their pockets just so Kerrigan can win. (The intro is just seriously amazing, though).

The original starcraft however, simply had an awesome story. I ordered and played it for the first time 3½ years ago, so there's no nostalgia filter regarding this one (and Brood War). the plot itself was extremely simple, but there's more to the story than just the plot. The dialogue was good, as were the characters. But most of all the way the story was told was great; It really felt like I was the main character, more so than with games with just a silent protagnist. That an ugly pixelated world could immerse me in it so was a real feat. I felt like a part of it and I felt a connection wih the characters (wich were nothing more than disembodied pixelated heads) because of how they talk to you. I could make a huge post explaining, but I won't, I'll just say I really felt a connection with these characters. The way Blizzard put the player in the story was just a great way of storytelling. Being a cerebrate in the zerg campaign, while the overmind gives awesome speeches, is one of my favorite gaming moments. Mind you, the gameplay of the campaign was absolutely boring, but the way the story was told and the characters were so engaging I gladly kept playing.

I can compare it to dragon age: very simple plot, but great story(telling). Starcraft2's story was just a complete joke, there barely was a story, characters were flat, downright moronic and their motivations unbelievable. There's no sence of urgency or sence of giving a crap about the game worlds. The lore was raped (retcon galore: a prophecy and the overmind was apparently a good guy all along) and the voice acting of Zeratul was just a joke. It was like an uninspired blockbuster movie. Story was thrown out the window to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's not just story that was ruined. The multiplayer was ruined too, no LAN, the game was dumbed down, simplified and balanced poorly as to not be difficult for new players to play (for example, they balanced it around low-level play and 2v2 as much as high-level play), wich made pro games boring snoozefests to watch, ruining it as an e-sport for me too.
So it's not just story Blizzard is doing wrong now. (but it needs to be said, the stories are turning into corny uninspired hollywood action movies, rather than corny stories with at least some heart.) This is why I don't like Blizzard anymore and won't pick up this game. I'm far from alone in this manner, by the way. (another thing, have you seen the Demon hunter trailer for diablo 3? It has no diablo feel to it, it's a goddamn hollywood blockbuster action movie.)

Anyway, may you all like the game at least.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DoctorPhil said:
John Funk said:
Ok, I admit Warcraft 3 has a pretty mediocre plot/story (I liked the characters a lot though, wich I consider part of the story). I didn't like Starcraft: Broodwar's story at all, due to the characters periodicly having the idiot ball slipped into their pockets just so Kerrigan can win. (The intro is just seriously amazing, though).

The original starcraft however, simply had an awesome story. I ordered and played it for the first time 3½ years ago, so there's no nostalgia filter regarding this one (and Brood War). the plot itself was extremely simple, but there's more to the story than just the plot. The dialogue was good, as were the characters. But most of all the way the story was told was great; It really felt like I was the main character, more so than with games with just a silent protagnist. That an ugly pixelated world could immerse me in it so was a real feat. I felt like a part of it and I felt a connection wih the characters (wich were nothing more than disembodied pixelated heads) because of how they talk to you. I could make a huge post explaining, but I won't, I'll just say I really felt a connection with these characters. The way Blizzard put the player in the story was just a great way of storytelling. Being a cerebrate in the zerg campaign, while the overmind gives awesome speeches, is one of my favorite gaming moments. Mind you, the gameplay of the campaign was absolutely boring, but the way the story was told and the characters were so engaging I gladly kept playing.

I can compare it to dragon age: very simple plot, but great story(telling). Starcraft2's story was just a complete joke, there barely was a story, characters were flat, downright moronic and their motivations unbelievable. There's no sence of urgency or sence of giving a crap about the game worlds. The lore was raped (retcon galore: a prophecy and the overmind was apparently a good guy all along) and the voice acting of Zeratul was just a joke. It was like an uninspired blockbuster movie. Story was thrown out the window to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's not just story that was ruined. The multiplayer was ruined too, no LAN, the game was dumbed down, simplified and balanced poorly as to not be difficult for new players to play (for example, they balanced it around low-level play and 2v2 as much as high-level play), wich made pro games boring snoozefests to watch, ruining it as an e-sport for me too.
So it's not just story Blizzard is doing wrong now. (but it needs to be said, the stories are turning into corny uninspired hollywood action movies, rather than corny stories with at least some heart.) This is why I don't like Blizzard anymore and won't pick up this game. I'm far from alone in this manner, by the way. (another thing, have you seen the Demon hunter trailer for diablo 3? It has no diablo feel to it, it's a goddamn hollywood blockbuster action movie.)

Anyway, may you all like the game at least.
Blizzard's stories have always been cheese. Fantasy cheese or sci-fi cheese, this has always been the case. And SC2 was well-told sci-fi cheese; I enjoyed it immensely.

Also, wtf? The multiplayer is superb. I picked it up a month or so ago after not playing it for a while and I'm astounded by how much fun it is. If you really think pro games are snoozefests to watch, you're watching the wrong games. I can totally understand how some people didn't like the SC2 campaign, but the multiplayer was hands down the year's best.

And honestly, the lack of LAN doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it might.

Does the feel of a trailer really matter to you more than the feel of a game? Playing Diablo feels like playing a new Diablo game.

Xanar

Mar 27, 2011
Yay, now one of my favorite childhood games made by Blizzard NORTH can be beaten to a pulp with easy mode gameplay and mediocre dialogue. Blizzard has lost completely lost my respect, with WoW's only real spotlight being vanilla - BC and SC2 turning into a macro snorefest.

I wonder how they will "Make Diablo 3 appeal to a broader audience". Maybe make Deckard Cain spout out some nonsense right before giving us a link to Facebook? No, maybe the enemies will just look at your character, say "Oooh, you got me! You're a gamer!", fall down, and then you'll be promoted to "Super-Ultra-Mega-Deluxe-Emerald-League!".

Blegh, you have fun with that. I'm not making the same mistake and picking this up, as I did with SC2 even after hearing about their "hurp-split-into-three-games" cash grab.

/Rant

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010
I wonder If Blizzard's release schedule isn't just a calculated way to ensure that people will buy the game for an extra amount of money and that they get more people interested in the game by getting people obsessively talking and speculating about the release date. Maybe, just maybe all of Blizzard's games are ready months before the final release date is announced and the have worked out that they can make more money off of the game by holding it back for a while.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Inkidu said:

I'm going to spoil it:

Next time you want to say something to someone, quote them, that way they get the message.

Also, your little synopsis of Diablo can be applied to just about any game, but someone else has already said that. You have failed to dampen my interest in Diablo 3, and I honestly can't think of any other reason why you would waste both our time with that post, so I will bid you good day.