Diablo III Character classes: What do you think?

Decroux

Apr 23, 2008
I'm glad that 40% of your marks come in the graphics catagory. If this game didn't have good graphics I'd never play it either. Thank god I've never played a game like Deus Ex or something... man those graphics would just kill the experience.

In case you didn't note, SARCASM you shallow prick.

Ryuuken

Jul 24, 2008
Given Blizzard's history of games. I've compiled a short list of things that will come before Diablo 3.

Chinese Democracy
Gran Turismo 4: Mobile
A U.S. date for X-Japan's World Tour (J-Rock fans should appreciate that one :p ).

haha, just kidding. I'm actually optomistic about this one. It seems that Blizzard is actually gonna try and get this one out in this lifetime.

Emperor Inferno

Jun 5, 2008
Decroux post=9.72912.777814 said:
Agreed gib. I'm really sad about that.

On the matter of the game, it sounds like you all want to just have the same game! Go back to LoD if you don't like III because they're DIFFERENT GAMES.
that's a good point. They are not supposed to be just alike. Change can be good. For example, I like the skill hotbar. It was a drag sometimes trying to switch skills during combat. I stopped doing it. I would just use the same skills for a while and then change to a different set, but now that they're doing the hotbar, I'll be able to use several diff. skills in the heat of a fight, more like a real battle. It'll be a lot more fun that way, a big deal in these games is using a variety of skills, and it'll be easier and flow better as well.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Fact of the matter is D2's gameplay is a DECADE old. If Blizzard didn't update it they'de be mocked into oblivion. People are exxagerating the art style, it looks plenty damn dark to me in the video's. It's just alarmist fanboys.

Really, the gameplay video looks very impressive to me. The voice over guy is too damn cheesy though.

oh, and Subscription gameplay blows balls.

Emperor Inferno

Jun 5, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=9.72912.778001 said:
Fact of the matter is D2's gameplay is a DECADE old. If Blizzard didn't update it they'de be mocked into oblivion. People are exxagerating the art style, it looks plenty damn dark to me in the video's. It's just alarmist fanboys.

Really, the gameplay video looks very impressive to me. The voice over guy is too damn cheesy though.

oh, and Subscription gameplay blows balls.
You know, all through that video, I couldn't help thinking, God, get a guy that sounds less gay if you're gonna have a narrator. He was indeed very cheesy. And to the other point, @ Pyronox, that video was seriously long and I watched it very closely. No rainbows. None. No smileys either.

You know what I've thought for a long time would be cool in Diablo III (yes, I really do sit around and think up cool ideas for game sequels. All the time.) It would be awesome to have horse riding, or some kind of mount that you can ride. If done right, that would have a big effect on gameply. Maybe even have a character who has skills that specialize in horse riding.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I actually kind of liked the juxtaposistion of the lush countryside with the army of F***ing zombies outside. But at the start, when he was in the ruins? That was plenty spooky. It looks exactly like D2, if anything. I do think they need to crank up the moody atmosphere, but that can be done with placebles like bloody skulls laying about, and moody music. Diablo 2 had almost no soundtrack to speak of, I expect D3 to have very fitting, gothic tunes. Music can go a long way to sweeten a game.

I don't think mounted gameplay would fit in well, at best you'd just wind up having a character appear to sit on a horse and move around faster. You couldn't implement it properly from the isometric viewpoint.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
In my opinion...they should just let the Diablo series go...forget about 3, cancel it. I've heard 1 was good and I loved playing 2 (particularly with the expansion pack, it's no-where near as good without it) but I get the feeling that if they keep making these games they'll just become graphically pleasing shells of their former selves.

A shiney, but otherwise unplayable husk.

Emperor Inferno

Jun 5, 2008
To your point about soundtracks, Tsunami, I really loved the sound effects in D2 and the music in the expansion was pretty good, but for the most part, the soundtrack was pretty empty. The graphics and sounds should work together to create the mood. The original had the wailing and themoaning and the gothic tunes, but it also had a dark, gritty look to it. It made me feel like, Shit, this is not a place I wanna be. The dungeon part especially of the D3 video had both, like the original. I love that the ghouls crawled up the walls to get to the character. And when he got a real vicious kill, that one went flying and skidding to a halt in the dirt. Awesome.

Stalkingtiger

Sep 28, 2008
I feel the game looks like it is getting an arcadey makeover like gauntlet.
If it stays the same general gameplay then itll be worth it

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
If you don't want it, don't buy it. Even if you do buy it, you can still play Diablo 1 and 2 and they'd be eaxctly the same. It's not ruining it. If you eat a cake, and then a few years later eat another cake that has pubic hair, it doesn't change the fact that there was one unspoilt cake.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
From what I've seen, they seem to be taking cues from WoW a lot in interface and a little bit in looks and customization. All good things, but I can't help but fear that this will still be more of the same mindless slayfest.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The Witchers,Space siege,DS2,ect,ect gameplay is a decade old as well, I would really love to see a action RPG rethink the action bit you can run a automated point and click yawn if you want but you can get into the game itself using wasd to move dodge and preform moves, the witcher only has half this and with no real sue for it in combat theres lil point using it.

I mean how hard is it to use hit/miss/damage roll when you move or double tap to dodge.......

Emperor Inferno

Jun 5, 2008
TaboriHK post=9.72912.778430 said:
From what I've seen, they seem to be taking cues from WoW a lot in interface and a little bit in looks and customization. All good things, but I can't help but fear that this will still be more of the same mindless slayfest.
But I like the mindless slayfest. In both 1 & 2 there was nothing so great as going out, meeting a bunch of monsters that wanted to kill me and having a grueling battle that only ended when I was standing in a pile of my enemies' broken bodies.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Emperor Inferno post=9.72912.778476 said:
But I like the mindless slayfest. In both 1 & 2 there was nothing so great as going out, meeting a bunch of monsters that wanted to kill me and having a grueling battle that only ended when I was standing in a pile of my enemies' broken bodies.
Yeah no joke. And I'm honestly not getting what everyone is bitching about. The video looked awesome! I was really impressed they used the 'same old' isomeric view and made it look that slick. It also seems the gameplay hasn't changed much at all, except for some things I could have loved in D1 and D2. What's wrong with change?

D1 was awesome, no doubt. Sweet gameplay, dark atmosphere, bloody, challenging (Especially when you got into Hell with a TON of those harpy things shooting those balls of light that sucked your health like a vacuum powered by Chuck Norris), and a cool enough storyline.

D2 was the same, except NOW you had a wider range of skills for each character (At the cost of not every character being able to learn every skill...Ahh, I loved it when my warrior shot fireballs in D1!), enhanced graphics (of course), more classes to choose from, a wider selection of environments, free identifying after rescuing Cain (!!That was CRAZY to me!!), and you could run (FINALLY, although with that stupid stamina). That's all not mentioning (Though I'm mentioning it now) the whole gem thing, imbuing power deals, runes, the 'Cube of Create Some Crap', thrown weapons, thrown POTIONS, a stash, and your money does NOT take up inventory space.

Those are some pretty freaking big changes!

So why wouldn't they do some revamping here? I mean come on. Suck it up. D1 and D2 are essentially the same game in premise, and D3 will be the same way.

Emperor Inferno

Jun 5, 2008
Baby Tea post=9.72912.778538 said:
Emperor Inferno post=9.72912.778476 said:
Yeah no joke. And I'm honestly not getting what everyone is bitching about. The video looked awesome! I was really impressed they used the 'same old' isomeric view and made it look that slick. It also seems the gameplay hasn't changed much at all, except for some things I could have loved in D1 and D2. What's wrong with change?

D1 was awesome, no doubt. Sweet gameplay, dark atmosphere, bloody, challenging (Especially when you got into Hell with a TON of those harpy things shooting those balls of light that sucked your health like a vacuum powered by Chuck Norris), and a cool enough storyline.

D2 was the same, except NOW you had a wider range of skills for each character (At the cost of not every character being able to learn every skill...Ahh, I loved it when my warrior shot fireballs in D1!), enhanced graphics (of course), more classes to choose from, a wider selection of environments, free identifying after rescuing Cain (!!That was CRAZY to me!!), and you could run (FINALLY, although with that stupid stamina). That's all not mentioning (Though I'm mentioning it now) the whole gem thing, imbuing power deals, runes, the 'Cube of Create Some Crap', thrown weapons, thrown POTIONS, a stash, and your money does NOT take up inventory space.

Those are some pretty freaking big changes!

So why wouldn't they do some revamping here? I mean come on. Suck it up. D1 and D2 are essentially the same game in premise, and D3 will be the same way.
*Applauds* Hear, hear.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
All I hope for is a fair looting system.
Having played WOW then returned to D2, I couldnt get over the idea that the first person to click wins all the shinies.

'Oh look the mage gets all the epic plate armour and 2 handed axes, great.'

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
PxDn Ninja post=9.72912.778658 said:
I think it will be a bland, boring, bleh game, just like its predecessors.
What?? Ok, well you must be in your mid to early teens.

That, or action-rpgs aren't your thing. I remember the release-date for Diablo 1 and 2 (Though I was much younger for number 1) and those games were priceless to virtually anyone who was into PC gaming. Critically acclaimed, countless copies sold, and D2 is still being played online today.

C'mon. At LEAST add 'IMO' or whatever the acronym is.

JayDig

Jun 28, 2008
I concur with Baby Tea.

And I really hope it's not some subscription thing.
Back when Diablo and Starcraft came out, the best thing about them were good demos and an awesome free multiplayer. I haven't bought a blizzard game in, like, ten years, but given those two things, I'd buy a Diablo 3 for a flat $60.

What would a subscription even pay for? Battle.net?