Diablo III Has Single Player Online

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
World of Warcraft "pirate" servers? They are called emulation servers and they do not break any international copy write laws

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
XinfiniteX said:
Waah Waah. People just need something to QQ about. I have to go on this internet thing to play my game? But I'm scared and overwhelmed! Get with the times grandpa! If you don't like it go make a better game.
There is online-only play, and then there is an obvious lack of basic features which limit playability, which only a truly untalented developer would make the mistake of omitting.

Accidentally sell the wrong item, or spend a skill point the wrong way? Instead of loading a save you've backed up, too bad, your precious items and skill points are gone forever! That is, unless you want to pay Blizzard $19.95 for a respec. Cha-ching!

Fire? Family emergency? Too bad, Blizzard say that it's not important enough to allow you the goddamn luxury of pausing your game. As if being told when you can and can't save wasn't bad enough, now your only choice is to straight-up log off and lose your progress. Thanks, Blizzard, for making my decisions for me! I don't know how I get through the day without shitting my pants.

Not allowing you to auto-login isn't a huge sin, but at the same time it's a basic oversight in usability, and one which even the most amateurish of interface designers wouldn't make (which means that Blizzard are officially worse at their game than, say, Bethesda, which is so sad it makes me want to jam rusty nails into my eyeballs). More damningly, this was a feature in Diablo II and even the original Diablo if I recall correctly. Blizzard are either not very good developers, or they just don't give a shit. Take your pick.

No mods is a huge concern. Diablo was never exactly driven by mods, but Blizzard are significantly reducing playability, features and so on by forcing you to play by their rules. PC games are about openness, customization and getting the experience you want out of a game - and Blizzard are showing that don't give a fuck how you want to play. Then again, Blizzard are probably one of the most arrogant developers out there; they make damn good games, but they have a superiority complex that can be seen just in the basic way they interact with their fans, the press and so on (try getting an interview or coverage of any sort if your web site isn't in the top 50). Not only does this decision hurt overall gameplay, it also demonstrates that Blizzard really do have very little respect for their users.

In any case, just because these problems don't affect you doesn't affect you doesn't mean that the problems don't exist - of course, if you really do think that, then you're an idiot, and interacting with you is a waste of time, energy and oxygen, so I suppose joke's on me.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
No pause? Wow. I was utterly apathetic about this game before. Congratulations Blizzard, you've managed to make me hate a game I was neutral about without me ever playing it. There's a lot of things about the 8 bit days I'm glad are gone, but at least my C64 games acknowledged I have a life and sometimes have to get up from the keyboard on short notice.

Jeez, are they TRYING to only sell this to the guys who consistently log more than 80 hours a week in WoW?

ionveau said:
World of Warcraft "pirate" servers? They are called emulation servers and they do not break any international copy write laws
(Pssst... "copyright".)

As for calling them pirate servers.... Might as well. After all, copyright infringement has as much to do with theft on a boat as running your own WoW server does.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
It's a shame, really. I was taken in from all the hype surrounding Diablo III, until this bombshell, of course. Oh, well, gotta find another developer to throw my money at.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Blizzard pointed out that some players didn't like it when they started a single player character and then had to start over if they decided they wanted to play online, so this online only idea is being offered as a way to avoid that fate.
It would seem to me that a far better way to deal with this would be two "tiers" of multiplayer- one that allowed outside modifications to the software (more or less "anything goes", don't come crying to Blizzard if you let someone you don't know play with you and they killed you and stole your loot because they are a dirty HaXX0r), one that's server-synced and strictly original-content only.

XinfiniteX said:
Waah Waah. People just need something to QQ about. I have to go on this internet thing to play my game? But I'm scared and overwhelmed! Get with the times grandpa! If you don't like it go make a better game.
Kindly take the straw men, the baiting, and the nonsensical arguments elsewhere.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
searanox said:
XinfiniteX said:
so I suppose joke's on me.
I guess I won then. Wait isn't there going to be a buyback feature in case you accidentally sell some thing? Also they aren't charging for respecs... It's just something that you pay for in game, with in game currency, kinda like how you do it in WoW (obviously not how you would do it, because I'm guessing you wouldn't play it as you seem to just have it out for Blizz. It's like they stole you lunch money every day when you were a kid... or was it because they declined your request for an interview?)

CM156 said:
XinfiniteX said:
Just to be clear, that means you give up the right to ever complain about anything unless you ever do anything better.

Sure you wanna say that, mi amigo?
Sure and not just because I usually do.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
So let me understand this.

You put a system in where if you exit the game, you lose all your progress.
You make it unable to pause, where the only option is to exit if you want to pause.
You make it so that way if you lose connection for a few seconds, you lose all your progress.

And you want me to play this game? No thanks.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
XinfiniteX said:
I can't make a better game personally, but I'll go play a better game. Like torchlight or torchlight 2.

Sylvine

Jun 7, 2011
I've suffered through a single-player hacknslash before with the console version of Sacred 2. I don't think I want to go through it again.

I'm sorry, though. I feel I need to start voting with my wallet here, and not buy the game. I want to play it. Badly. But I don't want to reinforce them in their (rightly held) belief that people will put up with anything just because it's Blizzard's Hyped Title. I already have that with Valve, and them guys actually build up a lot of customer trust before they started exploiting it.

~Sylv

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
I liked the previous Diablo games. Never played online and still had a great time. Since I travel a lot, having to be connected to the internet all the time is a big no to me. Since I receive a lot of phone calls, not being able to pause the game is even worse.

Since I'm interested in Diablo lore, I don't see any other way to enjoy the game than to pirate it and crack it so it would play offline, and mod it, so I could pause.

Blizzard not get my money.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Am I the only person in the gaming dimension that is uninterested in Diablo 3?

This just further cements my non-interest. Not even worth a pirate, imo.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Ha ha! No pausing? Need to be on the net all the time?

I'll be sitting this one right out. Who do they think they are?
Wonder if they will start treating the customer with some respect?
And we waited so long for this?

LegionDre

Sep 2, 2010
XinfiniteX - lol troll!

Isn't blizzard trying to sell as many copies as possible? I mean why exclude people when they are clearly just going to take as much damn time as they want to make it anyway. Why make it difficult to play your game. Right now it feels like

Blizzard
-"If you do not have stable internet connection you sir are wrong! If you want to play by yourself you are wrong. If you like to get up to piss you are wrong."

Me
-"I like you less now that you are telling me how to be... fascist"

Blizzard you made good games once, but WOW has gotten to your head. COME BACK TO US!!

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
I feel like Blizzard hates me because my parents chose to live out in the middle of a forest where the only way to connect to the Internet was through slow 3G (700-1500ms ping). Pandora just barely works, and there hasn't been a single online game I've been able to play without terrible lag. Not even Runescape.

Funny how companies don't seem to acknowledge ethics anymore. Either what I'm learning in economics class is crap or the companies themselves are turning into crap.

It's like the visual novel Saya no Uta, almost. To one or two people, Blizzard is fair and sexy and stuff, but to those of us without perfect circumstances, it looks like a globby gore monster.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I wasn't going to buy this already considering I move every couple of months and so I don't have Internet for months at a time but seriously no pausing? that's like game design 101, are they stupid or is it just my imagination?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Agayek said:
Well, I already wasn't thrilled about this, but these put the final nail in the coffin.

I'll grab Torchlight 2 if I really want a dungeon crawl.
My thoughts as well, though I actually was interested in D3. Interested enough to possibly upgrade my PC so I could play it (along with some of the other big stuff coming out in the near future). Now, however, nope. Torchlight 2 all the way.

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
Andronicus said:
I already have enough crap to up with trying to get games to work on Steam. Any more lame attempts to introduce drag SP games kicking and screaming onto the interblag for arbitrary reasons will be met by me with scorn and contempt.

Diablo III can suck big sweaty ones.
Can't agree enough with this. I was kinda looking forward to D3's release (expected date halfway past NEVER) but strangely the more I hear about it, and most AAA publishers for that matter, the less excited I am for the "game" aspect of the game, due to all the crap that comes with it.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Agayek said:
Well, I already wasn't thrilled about this, but these put the final nail in the coffin.

I'll grab Torchlight 2 if I really want a dungeon crawl.
I agree. I've heard enough about Diablo 3's online features that I don't feel a need to buy into nostalgia and give Blizzard any money. Not because I'm pissed off with them (or even love for Diablo 2--I preferred the first one anyways), but I just see a better deal with Torchlight 2 anyways.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Rofl no freaking PAUSING! Hah as if there wasn't enough reason not to buy this crapfest.

What kind of a half ass effort does it take to include a PAUSE button? I can understand with multiplayer they don't want it but so what? I'm still waiting for the convoluted reasoning their reps give for not having pause.

From a future Blizzard press event:
[image src="http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg"]

"We do not allow pausing because our market research has found that full bladders increase game enjoyment by 7.894%. Also we have a cross-marketing agreement with Depends to show ads for their products during loading screens."

D3 no Torchlight 2 Yes!

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I actually don't mind because i'm an exclusively online player, ever since i've ventured into the world of MP years ago playing an offline game has always been a meh experience. Diablo imo is a one time purchase multi player online rpg, and the thing is there are millions of us out there who will play it like that and welcome it. Gaming is a social mainstream endeavor now and focusing on that crowd with the best experience possible is just the way things go; even if it means the exclusion of others.