Diablo III Is Broken

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Diablo III Is Broken

How the Auction House sapped the fun from Diablo III?s end-game.

Read Full Article

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
So true!!!
The problem is of course they don't care, as they only made this game to take a nice percentage of that cold hard real money AH cash flowing through.

I too have about as much hours into the game as you, and I ocassionaly play a bit to level up a new character, as that's the only thing fun.
NOT the end game, but learning to play a new class up towards Inferno.
But not IN Inferno because of the problems you mentioned.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Well put, I can really see the problems.

I never got into d3. Oh sure, I played d1 and d2 heavily, but too much put me off and then with the problems after launch, discouraged even further. Leave it behind, better games out there.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
200 hours is pretty good though, right? I mean even Blizzard has said that Diablo 3 doesn't really have an end game.

Personally you are more forgiving than I am. I played through it once, and I had fun, but I never could see the appeal in playing the same game over and over so you can get better items to keep playing the same game. For me the items are what allow me to explore new things, not an end unto themselves.

his1nightmare

Nov 8, 2010
In the end Diablo 3 is simply one thing, a terrible failure from all angles. The world just needed to understand that, which took time. When Diablo 3 appeared everyone was like... nice.
Now, some months later, it's not much less a failure than Bioshock 2 or Crysis 2.

I personally couldn't stand literally anything from this game anymore already during the levelling of my second character.
Don't feel like going into detail anymore, I'm just waiting for the game I waited for from the start, Torchlight 2.

dsawyers9

Aug 20, 2009
I used to play. Key phrase: Used to.
I did inferno with 2 classes: Wizard and Barbarian.

Which did I like more?
Barbarian, this comes from a D2 player that had 3 Sorcerers.

I disliked D3 because it wasn't a Dungeon Crawl. It was a MMORPG ability base game that looked like a Dungeon Crawl.

The entire point of the dungeon crawl is to travel around the world, killing monsters and bosses; Yes the god damn farming of bosses, and getting loot.

Abilities that have CDs don't belong in this game as this game is about fast pace explosive abilities, super natural talents, OP characters going against OP demons and monsters. Why is it that I play a half angel half demon child spawn that is capable of killing the lord of destruction: Diablo yet a small imp runs up to me and 1 shots me?

Sorry, but D3 was and is a continuation of the crap Acti-Blizzard gaming industry.
I believe this to be the year: 2012 that marks the down fall of these companies, not even another CoD will save them.

Burn you horrible companies so new companies can rise from you ashes and return us to our former glory of games for the purpose of gaming, not the purpose of business.

(to clear up any confusion, I'm not saying a gaming company cant have a business and only focus on games, but right now, most game industries only care about making a crap load of money which I blame WoW for as now everyone does it, TY SWtoR for failing and dropping the subscription fee, maybe more games will realize that you cant do that anymore. WoW is finding this out as they pop out crap content and lost 1.1 million subs in 1 qt.)

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
I put about 50 hours into Diablo 3 and that was definitely pushing it. I only played that long for some friends who wanted a monk to balance out their group. I tried really hard to see the appeal in the game that keeps people playing for so long, but I couldn't find it. Its like reading the same book over and over. Maybe I'll reinstall it when they release an expansion for it. I'd like to find out what happened to Leah after we threw her diablo form off of the crystal arch platform and she crashed back down to earth.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Strip the game of the auction house and have a more intelligent way that random loot rolls and they may be able to save it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
People were complaining that the problem with Diablo 3 was that it was supposedly balanced around the Auction House.

They were wrong.

The problem is that it wasn't.

And what almost certainly only started life as a small side feature in development meetings "hey wouldn't it be convenient if..." came to dominate a game that was never tuned for it.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
200 hours, I'm impressed. I got bored when it became easier to farm one of the basements at the beginning of Act 1 for gold instead of getting items.

I would say that not the whole game was balanced around the auction house. At least the loot system wasn't.

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
Very good analysis. I personally didn't enjoy D3 as much as it's predecessor but mostly because I felt like it improved little upon the formula and took away some components that made it challenging. Trying to build into an MMO was a bad idea in my opinion, especially since I found the whole "public game" to be lacking in sociability. People would just rush through the dungeon with or without me, as an obsessive explorer I was better of going single-player all the time or playing with friends who were just as obsessed with exploration.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Yep, OP. You nailed it on the head. At the core, Diablo 3 is a loot game. It's just that the loot is so unsatisfying. There is no mystique and excitement from finding items. The AH cheapens the experience. Like yourself, I went 2 months of playing without finding anything I could equip, so I stopped playing too (and my gear wasn't great.)

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
John Funk said:
People were complaining that the problem with Diablo 3 was that it was supposedly balanced around the Auction House.

They were wrong.

The problem is that it wasn't.

And what almost certainly only started life as a small side feature in development meetings "hey wouldn't it be convenient if..." came to dominate a game that was never tuned for it.
That seems like a chicken and egg paradox to me. Whether the problems of the game stem from the game being balanced around the Auction House or the Auction House unbalancing the game, the central problem is still the damn Auction House.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm glad I suck to my guns of of no offline single player, no sale.

None of my friends who bought the game still play. I don't think any of them made it past inferno 1.

But actiblizz made a pile of money so in the executive conference room and at the shareholder meeting it was a success.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:
The problem is of course they don't care, as they only made this game to take a nice percentage of that cold hard real money AH cash flowing through.
This. At some point Blizzard thought they'd devised the Next Big Thing to boost their ongoing profits, and the RMAH went from being a feature of the game to the sole point of the game.

Between this and WoW's latest sub fall they'd better hope that Mists of Pandaria goes over big, or it'll seem that the once mighty Blizzard have lost their golden touch. Honestly, I'd not be sorry to see it happen, they've grown lazy and decadent, and taken the loyalty of their fanbase for granted.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Why are people complaining about this?. D2 had an real money auction house, it just wasn't legal (stone of Jordan anyone?). Many, many people paid real money to buy those hard to get items through ebay and other means. Blizzard has just made that whole process more accessible to everyone in an attempt to get rid of the constant gold-seller spam (which hasn't worked, why are people still trying to sell gold?). But yeah, this poster is in complete denial about how D2 actually worked.

For my part, I never bought items for D2 and i've never used the auction house in D3. That's my choice and it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the game in any way. People in complete denial about item sellers in D2, now whining about how it's no longer "underground" in D3... well that's just whiners for you I guess.

Seriously of all the things to complain about in D3, the auction house is the most stupid, baseless, asinine thing to complain about. It has absolutely zero effect on peoples enjoyment of the game unless they want it to. It's simply Blizzards means of getting rid of this:

http://d2items.com/?gclid=CObk4NGj2LECFYao4AodbnEAMA

http://www.d2craft.com/index.php?cPath=2_383

http://lewt.com/?gclid=CLatmNOj2LECFcJo4AodMVcAFw

Did anyone know that you can turn off general chat? Or that you don't have to open the auction house?

stranamente

Jun 13, 2009
I never played it and don't intend to because I'm against that kind of drm and don't want to support it with my money (it's the least I can do), but I see your point.
From what I heard the absence of mod support may too be a major cause.