Diablo III Launch May Get Messy

Mick Myers

Nov 16, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
These games often have a rocky start.
Rooster Cogburn said:
I have no idea if WoW expansions have smooth releases or not.
Somewhat ruined your point there, I feel.
Ah, people taking what is said out of context to attempt to "win" an argument. Never get tired of seeing this.

Maybe if you had actually read all of his response, and actually put some thought into your 'comeback' you would have a valid argument.

He did state he wasn't specifically speaking about other Blizzard games, although, if I remember correctly, they have had some rough starts as well. That argument aside, he does have a good point. MMO's with big launches DO tend to have a rough start. 'Old Republic' got shitted on, even with it's staggered launch, Starcraft II had a pretty rough go if I remeber correctly (which I believe is a Blizzard game, so kinda re-enforces why your argument was pointless).

Point here, these games tend to have a rough start, Blizzard announcing this ahead of time, and telling people how it will be handled is in-fact a GOOD thing. That should be the point here. They COULD just give a big 'Fuck You' to their consumers, and let us all spam the servers until they explode, they COULD not give a flying fuck about how the community reacts because they have your money already if you are attempting to log on, but do they? No. They are actually going to attempt to keep launch functional.

Seperate topic: I personally believe the "always on" DRM is bullshit, because it is their way of keeping control of the consumer, because you don't "buy" your game anymore, you don't actually "own" it, you are just borrowing it, the $60 cost being the collateral. But here's the thing, even if they decide you're done with the game, even if they decide it isn't worth running the servers anymore, they keep the money, even if you can't play the game simply because you do not have internet, they don't give a fuck, they have your money. If they can't get more money out of you (connection to the internet allows for a chance for you to use the RMAH) then they don't care about you any more. The only REAL reason that this "always on DRM" is being enforced, is because of the RMAH. Because, if you can't get online, and you can't even have the option of giving them more money, why the fuck should you be able to play the game that they created? (again, that is NOT my belief, I do NOT support the DRM, it is just my best explanation of why it actually exists.)

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
Mick Myers said:
Loop Stricken said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
These games often have a rocky start.
Rooster Cogburn said:
I have no idea if WoW expansions have smooth releases or not.
Somewhat ruined your point there, I feel.
Ah, people taking what is said out of context to attempt to "win" an argument. Never get tired of seeing this.

Maybe if you had actually read all of his response, and actually put some thought into your 'comeback' you would have a valid argument.

He did state he wasn't specifically speaking about other Blizzard games, although, if I remember correctly, they have had some rough starts as well. That argument aside, he does have a good point. MMO's with big launches DO tend to have a rough start. 'Old Republic' got shitted on, even with it's staggered launch, Starcraft II had a pretty rough go if I remeber correctly (which I believe is a Blizzard game, so kinda re-enforces why your argument was pointless).

Point here, these games tend to have a rough start, Blizzard announcing this ahead of time, and telling people how it will be handled is in-fact a GOOD thing. That should be the point here. They COULD just give a big 'Fuck You' to their consumers, and let us all spam the servers until they explode, they COULD not give a flying fuck about how the community reacts because they have your money already if you are attempting to log on, but do they? No. They are actually going to attempt to keep launch functional.

Seperate topic: I personally believe the "always on" DRM is bullshit, because it is their way of keeping control of the consumer, because you don't "buy" your game anymore, you don't actually "own" it, you are just borrowing it, the $60 cost being the collateral. But here's the thing, even if they decide you're done with the game, even if they decide it isn't worth running the servers anymore, they keep the money, even if you can't play the game simply because you do not have internet, they don't give a fuck, they have your money. If they can't get more money out of you (connection to the internet allows for a chance for you to use the RMAH) then they don't care about you any more. The only REAL reason that this "always on DRM" is being enforced, is because of the RMAH. Because, if you can't get online, and you can't even have the option of giving them more money, why the fuck should you be able to play the game that they created? (again, that is NOT my belief, I do NOT support the DRM, it is just my best explanation of why it actually exists.)
Or, given how Blizzard has a history of providing support for their games far longer than most companies, they'll allow offline access should they ever feel the need to decommision the servers. You're also assuming the RMAH will even turn out to be profitable and the major source of income for Blizzard from this game. I'm pretty sure it won't be. The average gamer is far more likely to spend in-game currency rather than actual money they can spend on essentials like food, a stable internet connection, rent, and booze. (Yes, in that order :p)

It's not like every person who is going to be playing the game has huge wads of cash lying around in anticipation of buying online items. Blizzard is going to make most of their money on this the same way they do for every non MMO. $60 a pop and keeping the game in high demand so the price doesn't drop. And then expansions, also for around $50 a pop. Sure the RMAH may get them some gravy, but the way you put it they're all standing around a giant pipe just waiting for money to flow in from the RMAH, and into a swimming pool so they can dive in Scrooge McDuck style. It ain't gonna happen. They'll get a continual trickle for sure, maybe even a spike or two once people get to high levels and get some crazy gear, but the RMAH is not the real money maker, and is certainly not the only explanation for the DRM.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I really was planning to buy this tomorrow just so I could try to keep up with those who are going to be all over it, but hearing they seem to be unready for launch just makes me say