Diablo III Might Show Up on Consoles

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
SharedProphet said:
Amnestic said:
You know what? This is the perfect opportunity for consoles to have more games with mouse+keyboard support. That way Blizz don't have to change anything between the PC and the console version and it paves the way for more developers to take note. Maybe then the RTS scene on consoles won't be so goddamn dire and can stop relying on gimmicks like voice control which don't seem to work for some people and make the game unplayable.

Yes, I'm looking at you Tom Clancy's Endwar. If you're going to centre your game around a gimmick and it doesn't work for everyone then you've dropped the ball.

I'd be fine with a D3 port to consoles with M+K support. It's the idea that they'll port it with only gamepad compatability that I worry about, because that will end up with a dumbed down version and that'll either cause a backlash from console players for giving the PC preferential treatment or they'll have to dumb down the PC version as well which'll give an equal backlash from the (likely far larger) PC playerbase for having depreciated the game's quality to make it work on consoles.
Hate to break it to you, but a mouse+keyboard interface doesn't work for everyone, and on a console it would be a gimmick. Mouse + keyboard is not an interface designed for games. Most people wouldn't buy them just for one game, and if the game only supports that it would mean they wouldn't buy the game. Might as well just not put the game on the console in the first place if that's the option.

How do you use a mouse on your couch anyway? Any answer which doesn't work for everyone is dropping the ball.
It might not be designed for gaming in particular but it still is the damned best for gaming when precise and pixal perfect aiming is required. Something that consoles don't do at all well unless you have auto aim turned on and most FPS games that I've endured on consoles have subtitle if not overt aim assist or auto aim mechanics in play.

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
I don't care that much about Diablo 3. I have played Diablo 2 a bit, and will probably play 3 also. I hope the PC variant is coming out first, but i am in no hurry. Overall i don't care enough about the game to care if they make a console version or not. As long as i can get a PC version it's fine by me.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
For one, Diablo III is heavily based around point-and-click (and click, and click, and click...) gameplay, where being able to send a ball of explode-y light at one particular spot on the map in a split second is absolutely crucial to survival on the harder difficulties. The mouse-and-keyboard interface seems very difficult to replicate with a standard 360 or PS3 controller, so unless they'd aim to rebuild the entire D3 mechanics from the ground up, that seems unfeasible.
I have a much simpler solution.
Enable support for USB keyboards and mice. Let me play games using a keyboard and mouse.
HEY SONY AND MICROSOFT ARE YOU LISTENING? I'M STUCK IN A DEEP, DARK RUT WHERE CONTROLLERS DON'T EXIST <color=white>because they suck AND THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF FPS/RTS ADDICTS DOWN HERE WITH ME - THROW US A DAMN BONE!!!

pompom8volt

May 21, 2009
Sounds fine to me. I'll still play it on my PC, but trying to make it work on a console wont hurt my experience, and even if it doesn't work as well as M+K it should still be fun for console owners.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I never played the other Diablo games, but I'm guessing you'd need to macro a lot of spells and abilities and so on. How would that work on a console?

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Okay, PC gamers. Lets get ready to....................................................SIGN PETITIONS.
You don't happend to be related to

jk

OT: I dno't see why this is a big buzz for the PC Gamers. If it comes to consoles and you think it will be dumped down. Then don't buy the console version.

See, problem solved!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Shycte said:
Casual Shinji said:
Okay, PC gamers. Lets get ready to....................................................SIGN PETITIONS.

jk

OT: I dno't see why this is a big buzz for the PC Gamers. If it comes to consoles and you think it will be dumped down. Then don't buy the console version.

See, problem solved!
...please tell me that's some sort of parody video. A satirical mockery of overzealous fans. If he's serious, I might just have to kill myself so I can go haunt him from beyond the grave.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Amnestic said:
Shycte said:
Casual Shinji said:

jk

See, problem solved!
...please tell me that's some sort of parody video. A satirical mockery of overzealous fans. If he's serious, I might just have to kill myself so I can go haunt him from beyond the grave.
.......i got to the part where he put his fingers togeather and called himself an expert on japan.
you get the gun, ill grab Soul Stay charm's.

Hikikomori Ookami

Jun 26, 2009
rated pg said:
Mr LS said:
No thank you.
I want my perfect PC Diablo 3. The console owners can have their dumbed down versions afterwards.
So much wrong with that quote, since a) it probably won't be perfect, b) who's to say the console version will be late, especially since Blizz has no release date for the PC version, and c) it wouldn't necessarily be dumbed down. I think the controls could actually work BETTER on a console for this style of game, as seen in such classics as the Baldur's Gate console games.
I'm not much of a PC gamer, but it seems to me like RPG's are done better on them than on consoles. I loved Morrowind on my xbox, but before I played it I watched my friend play on his PC and it just seemed a lot smoother. I think I like the mouse control better too, even if I'm not very used to using it.

So if Diablo III comes out on PC and console, if I end up buying it it will be on PC.

Jun 11, 2008
As long as making the game for console doesn't affect the PC version at all then everythings fine.

I mean I thought Oblivion and Fallout 3 worked well on consoles and every button was used grant they are 2 different kinds of rpgs but I think it will probably end up something like Champions of Norrath or Baldurs Gate:Dark Alliance for the consoles if it does it go.

Besides in all honesty games like this are more at home on the pc sure you can make them for consoles but they always do feel a bit foreign especially until you get into the groove of it.

Although something needs to be done about Console RTSs preferably kb+m as controller just does not cut the mustard.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
i dont see why all the pc gamers seem mad at this. (im a pc gamer btw) the pc version of the game wont be changed if it does come for consoles, it just means blizzard can expand thier community. pc gamers will most likely get the only patches, which sucks for the console people, and pc gamers will get all the mods.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
Shycte said:
Casual Shinji said:

jk

See, problem solved!
oh god! that was the funniest thing i have ever watched. i wonder if he realizes he is a classic nerd?

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Amnestic said:
rated pg said:
Mr LS said:
No thank you.
I want my perfect PC Diablo 3. The console owners can have their dumbed down versions afterwards.
So much wrong with that quote, since a) it probably won't be perfect, b) who's to say the console version will be late, especially since Blizz has no release date for the PC version, and c) it wouldn't necessarily be dumbed down. I think the controls could actually work BETTER on a console for this style of game, as seen in such classics as the Baldur's Gate console games.
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? Those games were freaking terrible.
I loved the second one. So much fun to play with a friend. Admittedly it was pretty repetetive and dragged towards the end, but i don't think D3 will have those problems. I'd love it if this happened.

Cryfear101

Aug 16, 2009
Diablo , Diablo , Diablo ......... Never played it , not interested lol.

But hey for those who do , why not , least people that doesnt have a pc capable of rnning it they can boot up thier xbox, playstation or whatever and play it :)

WJeff

Aug 14, 2009
Haha, all the console owners I know wouldn't WANT Diablo 3. They're afraid of anything that isn't an FPS (Preferably ones about space marines).

And besides, knowing Blizzard and how the only developer lazier than them is 3D Realms, they'll probably never get around to a console port. In fact, I'm starting to doubt they'll even get around to finishing the PC version :p

adledog

Dec 28, 2008
Depending on the control scheme, it could be amazing. I personally loved Sacred 2, except for the stupid level design, annoying camera, lame story, and complete pointlessness of half of the quests, and Blizzard is a great developer who knows the genre. If anyone could put it on a console. Plus the gory, actiony, mass-murdery gameplay is perfect for console gamers=P

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
And why is that? The Wii is the best choice bext to PC in term of Point and Click games.
I think that if they were to put it on the Wii they'd need to do what Capcom did for MH: Tri. They might need dedicated servers to get around Nintendo's rather strict requirements for online.

P.S Then we need to remember that patching would be quite difficult to do. The tech is there if they were to do patching via SD Card.