Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls Official Announcement Trailer

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Remus said:
CrossLOPER said:
Still not free to play, huh?
Wow, here too? When are people going to get over this F2P fixation? No, a Blizzard production that likely took years of man hours to complete will NOT be F2P. What it will be is B2P. Diablo 3 is not an MMO (although it very much wants to be). It is at its core an old fashioned dungeon crawler, albeit with flashy graphics. It is not cheap to make and is definitely not free.
So... Let me get this straight. You actually believe F2P games make no money or actually make any less revenue?
That last statement of yours was kind of pointing that way.

Also, have you seen some of the latest F2P games out there? you think they were cheap to make (or free)? Hawken, Blacklight: Retribution, Dota 2, amongst others.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Ed130 said:
Looks up from playing Torchlight 2

Any word on removing the Always Online component? No? Meh, the only good points are the re-roll and 'smart loot' systems. Hopefully this will reduce the need to use the Auction Houses.

Goes back to playing Torchlight 2

Yeah..I'd stick with that even if they do drop the Always Online...Synergies Mod is all thats needed.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
Why would this be free to play? Even though it's always online, it still is(and the reason why most people got up in arms about the always on DRM) a heavily single player game. Very few single player games are free to play, and the ones that are are simply mobile games that make you pay out for the rest of the game anyway, having you pay more than what you would for an initial down payment on a whole game. An MMO going free to play is one thing, but a single player/co-op game going free to play? No. Not unless that's how it started, like a game like Path of Exile, but this is a AAA dungeon crawler. They have a starter edition that people can play, but you still need to pay the whole price to get the whole game. The moment this goes free to play is the moment Microsoft gives out free copies of Halo.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I was bored to tears playing D3 even before finishing it on normal with all the characters. I literally found myself falling asleep while playing it, and finally gave up after 2 weeks.

I went back a few months later.....tried to play it again, and had the same result.

Never had that problem with Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile and played both hundreds of hours.

I am not sure what it was about D3 that made me sleepy/bored....but for some reason it really did put me to sleep..and I usually love those types of games.

I enjoyed D2 a ton before the expansion btw. The expansion was AWESOME and BRILLIANT mind you, but...even the core game was a blast.

I don't see the large # of additional character progressions/adaptations that we got with LOD in this expansion though. There are no charms for instance....only 1 extra class, no real additional ways to play the classes that are already there (although extra levels will add a bit more to each class at the top end I guess).

LOD added a ton. The 2 new classes Druid and Assassin were freaking AWESOME and a blast to play. The charms added a whole new way to build your characters and allowed you to drastically change how 1 already built character played based on the charms you used. The loot system improved drastically because of that, and trading became....well probably the best trading experience I have ever seen in a game including tons of MMO's.

We need more specific info on what is being added in the expansion, but so far it doesn't sound like it'll be enough. I think one of my biggest problems with D3 was that each character followed a set path of progression, with very little a player could do to differentiate their character from others. The eq you used could to some degree make a difference...but even that wasn't really much different (just how good the rolls were...but most of the boosts were the same). The expansion needs....NEEDS...to add some way for characters to customize characters, how they play, how they progress etc.

No stats was a big mistake....even if everyone used the same stat progression (and trust me...everyone didn't)...because even the illusion of control is important.

No skill points was also a mistake. I made many characters of the same class over and over again and had a blast doing it. I never had even the slightest incentive or reason to replay any once class in D3...and I didn't feel like I had any real control over the characters progression even on my first character.

You want to make the game fun again for me? Let me actually feel like I am progressing as my character levels up. Give me some form of control on how my character turns out. Give me choices that make a difference...and equipment, charms, items, bonuses etc to want to work towards (and not just buy on the AH for gold (never spent real money but you could find way better EQ on the AH then you could randomly get...for very little gold comparatively...which basically made looting pretty pointless.

D3 was...to me....a snoozefest. I had no joy/incentive to level up, I had no incentive at all to loot or loot run since I could buy better stuff on the AH. I just could not find my happy nervana place like I did in D2..which I could still go back and play again (if I didn't have like 20 other games I'm already playing right now).

D2 was > D3....D2 LOD was >>>>>>>>>>> D3 and will almost certainly be better then D3 with the expansion. Heck, unless they add more changes Vanilla D2 (which btw still had plenty of fans even years later that played the game sans expansion) will still be better then D3 with the expansion.

I am not the first to say these things by a long shot. Why/How can Blizzard not have heard so many people complain about this stuff...yet not change it in the expansion? It's crazy.

They should have added stat increases per level back.
They should have added an additional skill boost setup that is outside of the rune setup...allowing you to boost various player stats/abilities etc with skill points you get.
They should have added something like charms that let you alter a character based on items in your inventory...giving you even more customization for each character.

Doing those 3 things...even if it was in an expansion, could have SAVED d3.

I don't understand why they couldn't see that.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
wulfy42 said:
..snip..
LOD added a ton. The 2 new classes Druid and Assassin were freaking AWESOME and a blast to play. The charms added a whole new way to build your characters and allowed you to drastically change how 1 already built character played based on the charms you used. The loot system improved drastically because of that, and trading became....well probably the best trading experience I have ever seen in a game including tons of MMO's.
There are tons of things I could say on the other stuff, but this one just raises the hair on the back of my neck. Charms were the WORST thing about that expansion. The fact that you pretty much had to sacrifice your whole inventory to add modifiers to your character. I don't see how that was a good thing..

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Did he say "The Nephilim will stop you!" If so, can we expect to see the Darksiders Horsemen make an appearance? That'd certainly making things interesting. :3

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
VZLANemesis said:
Remus said:
CrossLOPER said:
Wow, here too? When are people going to get over this F2P fixation? No, a Blizzard production that likely took years of man hours to complete will NOT be F2P. What it will be is B2P. Diablo 3 is not an MMO (although it very much wants to be). It is at its core an old fashioned dungeon crawler, albeit with flashy graphics. It is not cheap to make and is definitely not free.
So... Let me get this straight. You actually believe F2P games make no money or actually make any less revenue?
That last statement of yours was kind of pointing that way.

Also, have you seen some of the latest F2P games out there? you think they were cheap to make (or free)? Hawken, Blacklight: Retribution, Dota 2, amongst others.
I never said F2P makes no money. LOTRO has made its $60 from me already. But this is not Turbine. This is Activision/Blizzard. Asking Bobby Kotick to give anything away for free is just madness. Expansions from full-fledged $60 store-bought, retail-release games are only made to make money. Get over it. Buy it or don't buy it. But don't expect such large amounts of content from these developers to be free. Just be surprised if it might eventually be.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Haters gonna hate. Just because a certain spectrum of the gaming community hated Diablo 3, that does not mean you deserve to be compensated for the torture that was a videogame. You weren't forced to buy it, you certainly weren't waterboarded, denied sustenance, had bamboo shoots under your fingernails, or otherwise "persuaded" to buy the game. You bought the game, that's on you. Blizzard owes us nothing.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I'll throw my hat into the excited pile. D3 was the only ARPG that I have enjoyed in a log time. TL2 was draged down by a million little things that bugged me and overall felt like Diablo 1.5 and I hated almost every single aspect of PoE, so I am certainly OK with more D3.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
wow, the new hero looks boring, the monk already covered the skill set for the paladin or did i miss something. i had honestly hoped for a shapeshifter.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Well, I didn't expect the Archangel of Wisdom is actually the Angel Death as well......

But I am VERY interesting to the words of Malthael:

"No one Has stopped Death"

Now, this could mean two things:

1) Refer to himself, as Angel of Death.

2) [The one I want to believe] is referring literally that no one tried to stop the constant death of the Prime Evil over and over again!!!!
We establish already it is impossible to "kill" the Prime Evil, because very simple when someone of them dies, he/she will simple reborn back to Hell. For that reason the Angels wanted to seal them and let them be forgotten in one ancient dungeon.....with no a big success of course.
But at last Malthael after many of years of absent, he discovered a way to stop this circle....That why he wanted to take the Black Stone with him.....
Now, the only question is, why he didn't simple ask it nicely to take it away, it is another mystery.....

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Between the releases of so many better games in the ARPG genre why would anyone even give D3 the time of day after how badly they already screwed their own fans over. I'm just glad I quit seeing Blizzard as a company worth throwing money at along time ago.

Too busy throwing money at Path of Exiles, Grim Dawn, and Marvel Heroes. I've even been enjoying the hell out of Titan Quest lately, and its about 6 years old. The fact that Blizzard released D3 in the face of all these better games, without even attempting to make something competitive just shows how little they care about game quality.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
The Forces of Chaos said:
Wow I remember enjoying Diablo 2, a sold game even without LOD. It was one of the Main reasons I bought LOD and D3. D3 Was a complete disappointment in the story, Female diablo, leia, Killing off Decard with a second rate villain. It had the online AH (what a disaster that was). It looked a bit too cartoony, needed to be a bit more gothic. However I did like the idea behind some of the classes.

As for Reaper of Souls, I'm not sure if they are going to make an offline mode for the pc, or get rid of the ridiculous human look for tyrael, So I'm very hesitant.
I'm a huge fan of the Diablo series (I actually wouldn't be working here if it wasn't for Diablo 2), and a lot of that was from the lore/atmosphere of the games. I even finally built a gaming PC in anticipation of the D3 release.

Diablo 3 as you said, killed a lot of that. The story was campy and full of plot blindness and WoW style pop culture references, and outside of the NPC dialogue, didn't strike a single chord with me. Tyrael was just some dude who occasionally had wings, not nearly as impressive as the lore surrounding him in Act 4 of D2. Adria as a main character had less personality then she did in the first game as a vendor...

The action and mechanics of D3 were/are solid, and the loot/itemization issues are already well on the way to being made tolerable. Solid enough where I put quite a few hours in [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kross-1743/], but the draw wasn't quite to the level I hoped. The heavily scripted linear nature of the game made it a real slog to replay some areas (even with spacebar spamming to skip scenes), and the constant reminder of just how banal the plot was wore away at me.

I do like the flavor of this trailer, very much reminds me of the bleak tone of Diablo 1, and hope the expansion lives up to it. I guess I should hop back in and get my loot up to par for the expansion - maybe kill stuff tonight for a couple hours. :D

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Man I guess there really is a small population that seems to like D3. Granted I got the game after paragon system was added but I had a lot of fun with it. Yea the story was kinda bad and I still went and finished all 4 difficulties and I had a lot of fun playing through them. I also got the impression that D3 had a very friendly community. Whenever I needed help with a particular dungeon or w/e I'd get help and heck one player also looked at my gear and gave me better gear so I could at least solo by myself. Anyways I'm excited for this expansion. I'm just not going to be thrilled about the 40 dollar price tag which will take me a bit to get over before I buy it.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Ponyholder said:
WWmelb said:
I really really want to want this expansion.. i want D3 to be amazing.. i want the expansion to be good... but i just can't bring myself to be excited about it :(

Edit: Don't get me wrong, i got a lot of hours of fun out of D3, but it just didn't have the staying power for me, and ended up pouring a lot more time into Path of Exile.

D3 wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't brilliant, and wasn't good enough for me to be excited about an expansion.
Neither was the original base game of Diablo II. It wasn't until, like above mentioned, that it got really good with its expansion.

I myself am incredibly excited for this and really want to get that soundtrack. It sounds brilliant!
I don't know what kind of rose tinted glasses people are wearing, but Diablo II even without the Lord of Destruction expansion was still better than Diablo III. I remember logging hundreds of hours into that game across all the times I reinstalled it. Lord of Destruction was just more icing on the cake.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
synobal said:
So they are fixing the loot system, but I have to buy an expansion for it? Ya how about I just continue not playing Diablo 3, and instead enjoy Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile for my dungeon crawling needs.
Yes, because the new loot system is the ONLY thing being added in the expansion. No new content at all, just a loot fix.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
I enjoy Diablo 3.
I really liked this cinematic.
I am looking forward to this expansion.

Is there........s-something wrong with me?!

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Diablo's biggest enemy is not a sword or your skill, but the power of the all mighty credit card! What, you actually buy video games to PLAY them? I thought gaming was about interactive story books. Why can't we just walk up to the end boss and give him 50$ so he gives us his gear and walks away?! It's SUCH a bother to actually PLAY a video game!