Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Huzzah! Another chance at more originality in gaming. This time, without the fake difficulty of adding more guys with guns at the end. hopefully.

Basically, do a sequel like Assassin's Creed 2 did. Look at your critics, and fix it.
AC2 didn't fix the problem with having to hold down the R1 button all the time.

That really bothers me, because I can't play normal games now without automatically holding in the R1 button... I've been brainwashed.
It's called HIGH PROFILE, if it was the other way around, you'd be complaining about how you had to hold R1 when ever you wanted to be stealthy or offensive. And if it was a toggle, you'd complain that it didn't switch to the other profile fast enough. This works. Then again, I have a 360, and holding the RT isn't terribly uncomfortable.
Or they could, you know, take it away? Push the analog stick forward gently to walk, all the way to jog, and hold in x to run. Use R1 for wall-running and make yourself having to press x to jump from gap to gap between roof-tops, like Prince of Persia gameplay. Change the button-layout a bit and you don't need high profile.

I don't complain about Prince of Persia gameplay, so if done properly, I shouldn't have any reason to complain about a similar control-scheme in AC. It's not "bad" controls, it's just annoying to have to hold in R1 and X all the time. I don't agree with Yahtzee disliking having a run-button, it doesn't bother me, but when you have 4 different modes to walk/run you're being overly complicated.

Push forward to walk.
Push forward and hold X to walk a little faster.
Push forward and R1 to run
Push forward and R1 and X to run faster.

And then we have
Push forward and R1 and X to run freely over buildings without any skill from your part required whatsoever.
But then you'd lose the precision of the multiple walk modes. Holding RT+X/A in AC2 actually serves the purpose of pickpocketing, btw. And just holding RT is a basic run, with slight freerun aspects, such as climbing over small objects. RT+X/A is the full on freerun mode. And default walk speed lets you walk through crowds without pickpocketing, which attracts attention a few seconds after the theft. Each has their place.
Yeah, I know you pickpocket with R1+X, but that could've been done with just holding X and tilting the analog-stick forward a bit.

But yeah, I'm just nitpicky. It's nowhere near a game-breaker, it just bothered me sometimes. And if others like the simplicity of it, then that's OK. I just wanted more of what Mirrors Edge had: More complex parkour. It all boils down to personal taste in the end though.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
ReepNeep said:
If they'd just made the controls 'flow' better, it'd have been a damned good game.
They do flow very well once you get the hang of them. It took several hours for me to finally grok the game, but once I did it ended up being one of my favorite games from last year.
I, by all means, loved the game (although it frustrated the hell out of me several times), but the controls need some serious tweaking. Jump, wallrun and vault (three things I see as very different from one another) were assigned to the same button, that, in my opinion, does not lead to the smooth gameplay of other 'parkour' games (AC being something of a good example, but that doesn't give you enough choice in how you go about the whole climbing business)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yay!
Only played the demo to Mirror's edge, but it seemed good, so yay!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
HUBILUB said:
I want Assassin's Creed to have a first person option, the areas are just breathtaking, and I'd like to view them from close up. Although still have third person available for combat, so that you can see the guy attacking you from behind and counter him.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
dududf said:
HUBILUB said:
dududf said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Huzzah! Another chance at more originality in gaming. This time, without the fake difficulty of adding more guys with guns at the end. hopefully.

Basically, do a sequel like Assassin's Creed 2 did. Look at your critics, and fix it.

That really bothers me, because I can't play normal games now without automatically holding in the R1 button... I've been brainwashed.
I played that on PC so I just binded it to shift...

Was it REALLY that bad? Like game breaking on consoles?
I didn't say it was game-breaking. Although it's not very immersive.
Huh, oh I assumed.

If it wasn't game breaking, then it takes low priority, Story, combat, gameplay, and fixing the buggy parkour takes high priority, high profile, and low profile takes low priority.

:D
About the story:

*rants incoherently for hours*

so you can see, I didn't like it.

I just wanted more challenging parkour, that's all. Like, for example... Mirrors Edge? Although it shouldn't copy Mirrors Edge controls, that sounds bad, but maybe a bit more off a challenge other than directing Ezio in the right way.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
HUBILUB said:
I want Assassin's Creed to have a first person option, the areas are just breathtaking, and I'd like to view them from close up. Although still have third person available for combat, so that you can see the guy attacking you from behind and counter him.
You can view in first person, but you can't walk around while doing it. Although you probably already knew that.

I prefer the setting from the first game, mostly because I love Israel. But Italy was nice.

Also, something I KNOW Yahtzee will rant about: Random Quick-time events. Although some of them I skipped and they didn't do anything, so maybe they aren't mandatory. I didn't miss the quick-time events at the end of the game, so maybe you die from those.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
HUBILUB said:
You can view in first person, but you can't walk around while doing it. Although you probably already knew that.

I prefer the setting from the first game, mostly because I love Israel. But Italy was nice.

Also, something I KNOW Yahtzee will rant about: Random Quick-time events. Although some of them I skipped and they didn't do anything, so maybe they aren't mandatory. I didn't miss the quick-time events at the end of the game, so maybe you die from those.
THERE'S FIRST PERSON IN AC2? I know it was in the first game, but how do you use it in the sequel?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
HUBILUB said:
dududf said:
HUBILUB said:
dududf said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Huh, oh I assumed.

If it wasn't game breaking, then it takes low priority, Story, combat, gameplay, and fixing the buggy parkour takes high priority, high profile, and low profile takes low priority.

About the story:

I just wanted more challenging parkour, that's all. Like, for example... Mirrors Edge? Although it shouldn't copy Mirrors Edge controls, that sounds bad, but maybe a bit more off a challenge other than directing Ezio in the right way.
My gripe is different about the parkour in AC1, my gripe was that there was too much of a "magnet grab", say I'm running from 20 guards like a madman, and I nearly NUDGE a post I'll stop, run up it, slowly fall down only to have 20 guards surround me, and forcing me to widow 20 wives.

It shouldn't be a HUGE part of the game, like it should be there and noticeable, but I'd prefer if they just left the parkour button on, makes it simple, and lets me focus on escape routes and avoiding problems. =]

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
HUBILUB said:

THERE'S FIRST PERSON IN AC2? I know it was in the first game, but how do you use it in the sequel?
You press one of the analog sticks. Can't remember which one, but you press it down anyway.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
dududf said:
HUBILUB said:
dududf said:
HUBILUB said:
dududf said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Huh, oh I assumed.

About the story:

My gripe is different about the parkour in AC1, my gripe was that there was too much of a "magnet grab", say I'm running from 20 guards like a madman, and I nearly NUDGE a post I'll stop, run up it, slowly fall down only to have 20 guards surround me, and forcing me to widow 20 wives.

It shouldn't be a HUGE part of the game, like it should be there and noticeable, but I'd prefer if they just left the parkour button on, makes it simple, and lets me focus on escape routes and avoiding problems. =]
What if two of the soldiers where in a gay-relation ship? Then there would only be 18 widows. Or one of the soldiers was a woman dressed as a man.

You need a lot of imagination in Assassins Creed because of all the repetitive gameplay.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
YAY! I loved the first one: it was an adventure into a brave new genre of gaming, but it had all the problems you would expect to see from such a game. I can't wait to see how they refine it.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
My only complaint with the first Mirror's Edge was that it was very brief. Five hours, that's two afternoons, of game time and it was finished. I squeezed a bit out of it with the time trials and such, but it was still a very short game.

The rest was pretty awesome. Only those parkour ninjas were...difficult.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Interestingly it was only removed because Edge Gaming were threating to sue..

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Irridium said:
Mirror's Edge was a pretty good game, just released at the wrong time.

Sure, it had its flaws, but DICE has been known to be a competent developer and listen to its fans (The brought back the conquest game mode for Bad Company because the fans demanded it, and they allowed fans to pick some story maps to be in a free map pack)

I'm sure they won't make the same mistakes, but you never know...
Yeah except Conquest in Bad Company sucked ass, they did something to it that fucked it up, i dont know what it was but it was just frustrating and not fun in Bad Comapny.

micky

Apr 27, 2009
i didnt make it through mirrors edge becasue i couldnt get past this part, so i just sold it a gamestop...cant wait for the second!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Gotta love those accidents.

Wonder if ME2 will be more build up than the first one. I really do hope so...despite it been pretty and all...its substance was somewhat, lacking.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Mirrors Edge 1 was perfect, I didn't find a single flaw in it, and I hope they make more of the same.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Man I was actually really worried this project had been canned. Loved the first game can't wait for the second.