DICE: FPS Genre Lacks Innovation

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Richard A. Kiernan said:
I was speaking mostly on a mainstream perspective. There are plenty of games that have done things before many games. Arma and Flashpoint aren't exactly well known to anyone beyond players like us. Innovation is about implementing new ideas, part of that is bringing those new ideas to the main stream, which I believe Battlefield 3 has.

skorpion352

Apr 6, 2008
LordReaver said:
universaltraveller said:
LordReaver said:
PlanetSide 2

That is all you need to know...
Nah, not planetside, but DUST 514!

Also, why do I never see that game really mentioned on this site?
Dust has nothing on PlanetSide 2. It's just a normal shooter with tie-ins to EVE. Only 64 people per map. PlanetSide is an MMOFPS (the only REAL MMOFPS!). Which supported 133 vs. 133 vs. 133 (400 players!) on a single 8km x 8km map. PlanetSide 2 will up that to 666 vs. 666 vs. 666 (2000 players!!!). This is no joke, there are no instances, or any form of division. You can literally have all 2000 people into one spot all shooting at each other. As I said before... Dust has nothing on PlanetSide 2

You don't hear about PlanetSide, because it's so beyond what people think a video game is capable of doing. Unlike games like COD or even Dust, there is no real way to explain what it's like to play PlanetSide. It's one of those things where it doesn't always dawn on you how awesome it truly is until you have actually experienced it.

PlanetSide 2 will be free to play. So even if you don't want to believe me now, you should at least check it out when it releases (no release date as of this post).
Dust514 will also be free to play and free to download. Additionally while the size of battles at launch will be smaller than those in Planetside 2, CCP aims to increase that to thousands of players.

Dust is also far more than a normal shooter. There is a LOT of depth to it, will a fully fledged skill tree, and fully customizable loadouts. There are also plans for adding in some RTS elements to it, so calling it a "normal shooter" doesn't do it justice

IMO Dust and Planetside 2 are very similar games and while Planetside 2 might launch with larger battles, Dust won't be far behind.

LordReaver

Jul 13, 2010
skorpion352 said:
LordReaver said:
universaltraveller said:
LordReaver said:
PlanetSide 2

That is all you need to know...
Nah, not planetside, but DUST 514!

Also, why do I never see that game really mentioned on this site?
Dust has nothing on PlanetSide 2. It's just a normal shooter with tie-ins to EVE. Only 64 people per map. PlanetSide is an MMOFPS (the only REAL MMOFPS!). Which supported 133 vs. 133 vs. 133 (400 players!) on a single 8km x 8km map. PlanetSide 2 will up that to 666 vs. 666 vs. 666 (2000 players!!!). This is no joke, there are no instances, or any form of division. You can literally have all 2000 people into one spot all shooting at each other. As I said before... Dust has nothing on PlanetSide 2

You don't hear about PlanetSide, because it's so beyond what people think a video game is capable of doing. Unlike games like COD or even Dust, there is no real way to explain what it's like to play PlanetSide. It's one of those things where it doesn't always dawn on you how awesome it truly is until you have actually experienced it.

PlanetSide 2 will be free to play. So even if you don't want to believe me now, you should at least check it out when it releases (no release date as of this post).
Dust514 will also be free to play and free to download. Additionally while the size of battles at launch will be smaller than those in Planetside 2, CCP aims to increase that to thousands of players.

Dust is also far more than a normal shooter. There is a LOT of depth to it, will a fully fledged skill tree, and fully customizable loadouts. There are also plans for adding in some RTS elements to it, so calling it a "normal shooter" doesn't do it justice

IMO Dust and Planetside 2 are very similar games and while Planetside 2 might launch with larger battles, Dust won't be far behind.
PlanetSide has always had skill trees and customizable loadouts. No RTS elements, but there's nothing stopping you from leading a massive army to victory in as real time as real time gets. PlanetSide 2 will also be updated as time goes on, so really, Dust is just 9+ years behind. Don't take it as me saying Dust will suck, I'm sure it will be just fine. I do plan on shooting some peeps in it too.