DICE LA Open For Star Wars Business

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
DICE LA Open For Star Wars Business

DICE's Karl-Magnus Troedsson may want to go poaching.

Last week EA signed an exclusive Star Wars game deal with Disney [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123783-Electronic-Arts-Signs-Exclusive-Star-Wars-Game-Deal-With-Disney], and now it has opened a new DICE studio in Los Angeles, with the sole purpose of making Star Wars universe titles. DICE's Karl-Magnus Troedsson, in a Wall Street Journal article, confirmed that the studio intends to have 60 staff by the end of the year. This new DICE is a satellite of the Swedish operation, and is looking for vital staff - audio artists, world artists, level designers and the like - ASAP.

Troedsson might already have his eye on one or two talents. DICE is, after all, the maker of the a series of jobs open in California [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119260-DICE-Still-Supporting-Battlefield-3], for those who think their futures lie in a galaxy far, far away.

For those of you wondering whether a specific Star Wars title is on the cards, Troedsson isn't about to confirm or deny any rumors [https://twitter.com/L_Twin/status/334606167307345921]. We'll just have to wait and see.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192250/New_DICE_studio_opened_in_LA_with_a_focus_on_Star_Wars.php]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
EA talent with MoH credits?

Is that talent in the same way a Twinky is food then?
DVS BSTrD said:
I really hope it isn't first person.
Battlefront 1 and 2 had the option of first person, I much prefer it to over the shoulder viewpoints, much better field of view (gun in one corner excepted).

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Karloff said:
DICE LA already has some staff on board, mainly EA talent with Medal of Honor credits
No no. Nononononononononononono.

Oh nooooooooooooo

And we thought George Lucas was the the worst thing to happen to Star Wars.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
So basically it's going to be first person and have ultra realistic graphics and crammed with lots of micro trans and uneeded DLC along with it not being allowed on Wii I because of pointless hate, yeah I think i'll pass.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
You know what was great about Battlefront 2?
It didn't have quick time events. Your squadmates didn't kill everyone for you. You didn't have to kick doors. It barely had cutscenes.
We already knew the story, we didn't needed it retelling. We didn't wanted to follow ONE soldier, we were following ONE unit, from Republic Clone trooper to Galatic Stormtrooper.
It was build as an 3rd person shooter (with option to 1st person).
It had a great campaign, without needing an actual plot other than "fight those battles and win".
On the consoles, the coop was on the couch, with split screen.
It was just PERFECT and you could play it today and still find it more fun than a lot of things available on the market.

I can't imagine good things about about Battlefront 3.
I wish I could, but I just CAN'T. It skipped on generation and things changed too much.
If it had been released in the beggining of PS3's life cicle, it could have naturally evolved it's own way.

Now I expect "generic FPS with Star Wars skin"...

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I'm in college now for concept art and animation.

If I was graduating this year, then BAM I'd have a job

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
TheComfyChair said:
Battlefront 3 then?
My First thought - seems like all they'd have to do is take their BF4...interesting how easy that was...and reskin it...interesting how easy that was.

The funny bit, is as disinterested as I am in BF4 I'd actually buy BF3 even if it's just a reskinned version. Although, it does make me a little worried about the amount of pay-2-play DLC there'll be...*shudders* and having to use origin :(

Also, it seems like an incredibly easy way to make more Sci-Fi shooters and have an automatic fan base for them. The hard part, at least for us, will be whether the stories are any good as the FPS-mechanics will probably be pretty generic.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
Soooo..... why is it called DICE LA if it's mainly going to be made up of new people and people from Medal of honour doorfighter and just make star wars games and is generally not going to be connect to the real DICE studios except by maybe using their frostbite engine?

Is this like when EA renamed everything Bioware because people liked them?

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'm looking forward to a first person star wars games with ultra realistic graphics and tight shooting controls from a Dice studio. Haters gonna hate

Seriously, if a type of game would do well with realistic graphics it's a star wars game. Realistic graphics for things that already exist = boring. Realistic graphics for a scifi fantasy setting = fun

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Karloff said:
DICE LA already has some staff on board, mainly EA talent with Medal of Honor credits
I...I wanted Battlefront 3, but not like this. Not like this!

No only will it be painfully generic but it gets to be published by EA as well. Horrible unlock system and DLC abound.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I was really looking forward to Battlefront 3 and now with this piece of news I'm hoping without hope that it won't happen

Sneezeguard said:
Soooo..... why is it called DICE LA if it's mainly going to be made up of new people and people from Medal of honour doorfighter and just make star wars games and is generally not going to be connect to the real DICE studios except by maybe using their frostbite engine?

Is this like when EA renamed everything Bioware because people liked them?
Yeah, this is why you can't trust development names when it comes to EA. As the people on checkpoint said, it's true that Ea has the Star Wars license but at least they studios they named working on the titles had a history of quality...

...and it turns out they'd just named all their cruddy studios after the good ones and are giving them the job -_-

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
choochoo here comes the EA hate train choochoo. Gotta love how people are so quick to just write something off like this. People need to chillax and let things happen. Dice is part of EA now, so why wouldnt EA have some people in one of THEIR new offices?