DICE: Star Wars: Battlefront Development is "Scary"

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Oskuro said:
Will they be able to top the Galactic Battlegrounds mod for Battlefield 1942?

Somehow I doubt it.

This being a profitable project, I expect to see it turn out as a CoD:MW-style infantry-focused achievment-laden quick-reflex-shooter, instead of the "being part of an actual Star Wars battle"-simulator it should be.
ehhh what.. DICE has made The battlefield series.. you know.. the game with airplanes, tanks, huge insane 64 player chaos multuplayer experience maps..The guys that actually made Battlefield 1942... soo.. DICE is not under activision ? :p so i got no clue where you got the "CoD:MW-style infantry-focused achievment-laden quick-reflex-shooter" from.

In DICE i trust.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
bjj hero said:
fix-the-spade said:
I was very briefly excited about this, then I looked into who was actually making it.

It's a couple of DICE guys.... and Danger Close, as in Danger Close of Medal of Honor 2010/Doorfighter fame. Yes they've been rebranded (again, fourth name now) as DICE Los Angeles, but lets see what their last three games were.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter
Medal of Honor 2010
Command and Conquer 4

Doesn't that just fill you with anticipation?
I'd be happy with BF2142 with Star Wars skins, or BF4 with Star Wars skins, if we get Doorfighter with Star Wars skins I think the internet will explode, EA needs to learn that renaming studios after more successful ones won't suddenly make them good, you'd have thought after trying that with Bioware (all seven studios) it would have occurred to them.
Im quietly optimistic. Yes MOH was not great but it was battlefield without vehicles... BF is about destructable environments and mahem with vehicles. Perfect for Starwars. If I wanted just infantry there are lots of other shooters I would pick first.
Well every new EA game is using Frostbite 3, so BIG BIG chance that the star wars game will run on it aswell :p

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
It's actually very easy. Don't kill it with DLC.
Or don't kill the developer. If EA hadn't murdered Pandemic we might have gotten a Battlefront 3 already.

Nam Yensa

May 13, 2009
I want to be dizzy with anticipation for this game, but I must take a "wait and see" attitude.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Kalezian said:
Even then, I liked Battlefront 1 more than 2 since it actually allowed for better tactics.

I just want the ability to play in games that dont end up being 4 Jedi/Sith players face raping people.
Yeah, that was my only gripe with BF2, the jedi/ sith characters. On the one hand it was a cool idea but on the other it was badly implemented and effectively did the same thing as the scorestreaks in CoD - made the top players even mroe overpowered. If they do bring it back I hope they make them easier to defeat/ give them a shorter timer, only allow each player to use them once per match, and/ or give them as a boost for the lowest ranking players on the scoreboard.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
EA already murdered KOTOR, they'll murder Battlefront as well, which will be even more impressive because they had to actually dig up a corpse to do it.

Then they'll probably put out Jedi Outcast 2 and it'll be awful.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Fasckira said:
Really rather excited for this, I agree that DICE will be able to pull this off; end of the day, all I essentially want is an enjoyable Star Wars themed multiplayer experience. Last time I had that was playing Jedi Knight 2 Outcast.
+1 on your entire post :)

OT: I just have one wish and am praying for just one thing...
Please no Premium, please no Premium, oh please merciful gods of gaming, let there be no Premium bullshit soiling what I hope and feel rightfully so will be one of the most amazing shooters in a long while

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
EvilMaggot said:
Oskuro said:

Somehow I doubt it.

This being a profitable project, I expect to see it turn out as a CoD:MW-style infantry-focused achievment-laden quick-reflex-shooter, instead of the "being part of an actual Star Wars battle"-simulator it should be.
ehhh what.. DICE has made The battlefield series.. you know.. the game with airplanes, tanks, huge insane 64 player chaos multuplayer experience maps..The guys that actually made Battlefield 1942... soo.. DICE is not under activision ? :p so i got no clue where you got the "CoD:MW-style infantry-focused achievment-laden quick-reflex-shooter" from.

In DICE i trust.
The game with airplanes, tanks, huge insane 64 player chaos, that they then created an infantry only mode for in BF2. Then release the "Strike at Karkand 2" map called "Road to Jaba The Hut," or whatever it was. Wasn't there a close quarters combat DLC for Battlefield 3? And the squad deathmatch mode in bad company 2 that was pretty much infantry only save for the lone apc at the center of the map. DICE used to be sprawling maps, rolling hills, and vehicle combat. Then they were acquired by EA after releasing BF2, and it became more and more infantry, close-quarters, twitch-gameplay, one man army oriented with each iteration.

Apr 28, 2008
Hopefully this means they're keeping it third-person.

Yes I know it's a rather petty request/complaint. I don't care. I want it to be third person.

KR4U55

Mar 12, 2012
There will probably be premium, that's almost sure. I mean, you get one of the biggest franchises on Earth and turn it into a videogame by a studio that have been consistently releasing shooters of more-than-average-to-amazing quality andyou get sales.

I just hope the premium is worth it, like being able to play on 64 players maps.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
EvilMaggot said:
Oskuro said:

Somehow I doubt it.

In DICE i trust.
The game with airplanes, tanks, huge insane 64 player chaos, that they then created an infantry only mode for in BF2. Then release the "Strike at Karkand 2" map called "Road to Jaba The Hut," or whatever it was. Wasn't there a close quarters combat DLC for Battlefield 3? And the squad deathmatch mode in bad company 2 that was pretty much infantry only save for the lone apc at the center of the map. DICE used to be sprawling maps, rolling hills, and vehicle combat. Then they were acquired by EA after releasing BF2, and it became more and more infantry, close-quarters, twitch-gameplay, one man army oriented with each iteration.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Hopefully they'll update the sound effects, too. Playing Battlefront 2 sounds terrible. All the old sound effects from the first trilogy sound tinny as fuck.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
I was very briefly excited about this, then I looked into who was actually making it.

It's a couple of DICE guys.... and Danger Close, as in Danger Close of Medal of Honor 2010/Doorfighter fame. Yes they've been rebranded (again, fourth name now) as DICE Los Angeles, but lets see what their last three games were.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter
Medal of Honor 2010
Command and Conquer 4

Doesn't that just fill you with anticipation?
I'd be happy with BF2142 with Star Wars skins, or BF4 with Star Wars skins, if we get Doorfighter with Star Wars skins I think the internet will explode, EA needs to learn that renaming studios after more successful ones won't suddenly make them good, you'd have thought after trying that with Bioware (all seven studios) it would have occurred to them.
This is, in fact, completely wrong. It was confirmed awhile ago that the main DICE team based in Sweden is making it. All the Los Angeles team is doing is developing potential expansion packs.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-being-made-by-dice-stockholm-not-la/1100-6410259/

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
GaltarDude1138 said:
This is, in fact, completely wrong. It was confirmed awhile ago that the main DICE team based in Sweden is making it. All the Los Angeles team is doing is developing potential expansion packs.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-being-made-by-dice-stockholm-not-la/1100-6410259/
Well, colour me excited again.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Fasckira said:
Really rather excited for this, I agree that DICE will be able to pull this off; end of the day, all I essentially want is an enjoyable Star Wars themed multiplayer experience. Last time I had that was playing Jedi Knight 2 Outcast.
Well in that case, your wait is over, cause Jedi Academy has an enjoyable Star Wars themed multiplayer experience also :) Although Battlefront 2 sure didn't . . .