Did a Hyrule Warriors Art Book Reveal a Female Link? - Update

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't see a problem in a female version of link, though it's confirmed that is not a thing at this point. That said, Link has always been an androgynous character. They are the players "link" to the game world. Square Enix does a similar thing with their characters for a long time now. Yoshitaka Amano is one of the most famous Japanese artists in the business, and he purposely makes his characters androgynous so it's easier for the onlooker to project themselves into the epic scenes depicted in things like Vampire Hunter D, regardless of their sex.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I think a female "Link" and a male "Zelda" would be a very interesting twist in the franchise. The optimistic side of me would love to see a difference in the development of the characters as a result of such a swap. Also, something to think about, guys, gender and sex are not exactly the same things, though it is often treated as such in colloquial conversation. Gender identity and gender roles are not necessarily tied to being male or female in today's society (and in some cultures, there's actually more than 2 gender identities). Once you do a little reading on transgender (not transsexual; those are two different things) and gender fluidity (which is something I didn't learn about until fairly recently myself), your view of gender and male vs. female roles becomes a bit more generalized (assuming you're willing to have an open mind).

Personally, I would be interested to see how the mix of masculine and feminine would play out for a female heroic "Link" and a male damsel-in-distress "Zelda". Of course, since we are talking about game developers, I'm sure they would just fuck it up.

EDIT: added reference to "gender fluidity".

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Similar to the way Link transformed into a wolf in Twilight Princess. Yes, it was still Link; but still it worked like a switch of characters. The look was different, and so the gameplay. In some parts you were restricted to play as a wolf, and later you gained control of the transformation. A similar aproach can be done (not by transforming Link into a girl, but passing the baton to his sister at some point, and later make her a switchable character).

It may work, but we will never know if they don't try.
Or just look at all the other games that have had dual character systems where each one has a different set of skills. Such as Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. Maybe he has a companion who has abilities he can't use. Or just look at Spirit Tracks where Zelda was vital in the gameplay.

kerrowecrisis

Jan 14, 2014
I quite like what I see here, but wasn't it confirmed that link would be guy a for the next game?
Well in any case I'd be interested in seeing a female link in the one after.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
CaitSeith said:
Similar to the way Link transformed into a wolf in Twilight Princess. Yes, it was still Link; but still it worked like a switch of characters. The look was different, and so the gameplay. In some parts you were restricted to play as a wolf, and later you gained control of the transformation. A similar aproach can be done (not by transforming Link into a girl, but passing the baton to his sister at some point, and later make her a switchable character).

It may work, but we will never know if they don't try.
I'm still lost. Do girls play different? Do they have different mechanics? Is Zelda run on the FATAL engine? Will there be a lot of adventures in the girls' room?

You started from the premise that adding a girl or just a selectable gender protagonist would be mechanically different, but nothing you're saying has anything to do with gender inherently. I mean, hell, since you're complaining about "political correctness," why not add a second dude you can play as? You could give him different mechanics (unless, again, mechanics are gender locked somehow).
You are right. Different gender doesn't inherently involve different mechanics (just look at the first Resident Evil). However nothing stop them from having a different gender characters with different mechanics (properly explained in the plot). We are talking about a new Zelda game; not taking an existing one and just jamming a playable female protagonist in it as if it was a DLC.

I`m not complaining about the (Attack of the) Political Correctness. Just stating that I'd like to see that kind of feature in Zelda, because there is no reason for not to (neither plot-wise, gameplay-wise or budgetary) except for the developer's ideas.

Why not a male character? Personal opinion. I think a playable girl character related to Link (like a sister) has more potential for an interesting plot than a male one (like a brother or cousin) in Zelda.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
It would make sense to see a female link at some point since Link is the hero of time and and none of the Links (save for a few) had anything to do with the previous incarnation.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Why not a male character? Personal opinion. I think a playable girl character related to Link (like a sister) has more potential for an interesting plot than a male one (like a brother or cousin) in Zelda.
I fail to see how there's any more interesting story to tell than if it's a playable boy character related to Link. Would a female PC offer up a more interesting story than a black male PC? Or a gay male PC? Would a black lesbian PC offer up more opportunity than any of the previous? What makes a girl inherently more interesting as a story piece, especially in a game generally known for its blank slate protagonists?

You're offering the same thing up that those horrid PC/diversity people offer up. You're just trying to dress it up (possibly even in a dress) to distinguish yourself from them. And it's a fairly hollow distinction.

The only actual reason you gave was that there's no reason not to. I agree. However, at that point, what difference does it make if it's so girls have something to play, or for the sake of "diversity?" Especially if you can't offer a single positive reason to do so otherwise? Hell, at that point, "personal preference" might as well BE "diversity."

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
...Wait, so we could of had Legend of Zelda: Nier edition?

God fucking damnit, I would SO buy the hell out of that. And hell, they could of done the same thing as Nier did: make two versions with the Japanese release feature younger Link and have female Link be his little sister, while the western release has Papa Link and his daughter.

-sighs-

Oh well, back to Drakengard 3.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
CaitSeith said:
I fail to see how there's any more interesting story to tell than if it's a playable boy character related to Link. Would a female PC offer up a more interesting story than a black male PC? Or a gay male PC? Would a black lesbian PC offer up more opportunity than any of the previous? What makes a girl inherently more interesting as a story piece, especially in a game generally known for its blank slate protagonists?

You're offering the same thing up that those horrid PC/diversity people offer up. You're just trying to dress it up (possibly even in a dress) to distinguish yourself from them. And it's a fairly hollow distinction.

The only actual reason you gave was that there's no reason not to. I agree. However, at that point, what difference does it make if it's so girls have something to play, or for the sake of "diversity?" Especially if you can't offer a single positive reason to do so otherwise? Hell, at that point, "personal preference" might as well BE "diversity."
A lot of my old favorite games from 80's and 90's that share the same world style than Zelda have female playable co-protagonist. The plot wouldn't had been the same if the gender of those characters hasn't been female (not without changing the way the worlds in those games were made). That's why, if Link ever had a playable co-protagonist for the sake of the plot, that would be my personal preference.

If "just for diversity" were my preference, probably Hyrule Warriors would be enough for me.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Alek_the_Great said:
I think a better idea for a new Zelda game would have a Zelda/Link tag team type of deal. They've kind of explored this with Spirit Tracks and part of the final battle for Twilight Princess, so it would be nice to see that expanded.

On the topic of gender swapping (and race swapping which is pretty similar)... I just find it abhorrent. It's literally one of the laziest and pandering options you can do with a franchise. You'd never see this go down in the opposite direction, and if it did you bet your ass there would be a shitstorm of which the likes nobody has ever seen. I also can't stand the idea of "let's take so and so character but make them (blank) instead". If your only motivation for the change is "it will increase representation" I can't help but wonder why you just didn't create a completely new character.
Well, it's one thing to cast an actor as a character that is traditionally white (like Edris Elba as Heimdal in Thor) or switch things up with a legacy character (like the Blue Beetle mantle being taken up by a Latino kid), but just switching the character's race or gender and changing only that is lazy and tacky as well as being insulting to other races and genders.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I like how the idea of a female Link, or at least the ability to choose your gender, is generating a lot of buzz, but sadly I feel like it's going to fall on deaf ears since Nintendo has a habit of just going with the same thing over and over.

Personally, I don't view Link as a character. Outside of Wind Waker, he doesn't have much of a personality. He's just a mannequin for the player to project themselves onto, which is the biggest excuse behind him never talking. His physical appearance seems to have very little to do with his character either - outside of the iconic clothes and the sword and shield, Link's hair color and physique, even his age, are never all that consistent. Being able to choose your gender would be great, but so would being able to choose eye and hair color, maybe even hair styles.

Too bad Hyrule Warriors won't be using this female version/younger sister character. If nothing else she'd make for a fun unlockable to just goof around with in random battles.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Sheo_Dagana said:
Nintendo has a habit of just going with the same thing over and over.
Except when they made Link right-handed in Skyward Sword and didn't provide a left-handed option. That was SO GRRRRRR! for us lefties, especially those of us who've actually trained in sword-fighting.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CaitSeith said:
If "just for diversity" were my preference, probably Hyrule Warriors would be enough for me.
But since "just because" (as you haven't actually given a particular reason for a female protagonist) is, shouldn't Hyrule Warriors be enough for you as well?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
CaitSeith said:
But since "just because" (as you haven't actually given a particular reason for a female protagonist) is, shouldn't Hyrule Warriors be enough for you as well?
I already gave my reasons. How about you? Which reasons do think are good enough for a female protagonist in Zelda?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
how long before she's renamed Aryll and becomes DLC?

honestly if Link was a boy or a girl it still wouldn't make much of a difference since he never really speaks and isn't really doing anything a girl wouldn't be able to do
the problem, for me at least, would be them gender bending the entire Zelda universe. If the only thing that changes is Link then fine but if the whole universe changes then it just becomes pandering