Did ME3 ruin Mass Effect for you?

Nuttydwarf

May 15, 2012
No the ME3 ending did not ruin the Mass Effect series for me but it did ruin the that game for me. Case in point, I sold my copy of ME3 in order to get borderlands 2 but I'll still be keeping my copies of ME 1 & 2.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
crazyrabbits said:
Jason Rayes said:
In fact the game had been telegraphing that Shepherd probably wasn't going to make it from about the halfway point.
That's funny, considering how the previous games took every opportunity they could to point out how Shepard and co. beat impossible odds every chance they got, and rallied an entire galaxy behind them. Any sense that the Alliance/Shepard couldn't win this normally was a late-game plot twist introduced solely in the final installment, and barely backed up by anything besides a handful of in-game comments.
Yup, the entire series was establishing Shep as a Neo-type of character. Every indication was that Shepard would pull some type of serious badassery to stop the Reapers. In this cryptic, dangerous, well-fleshed-out sci-fi universe, Shep was our cliche action hero.

People like to pretend that the ending was the only bad part of the game, ignoring (whether by choice or purposely) the rest of the bugs, lame writing and wonky gameplay mechanics present throughout the other 95% of the product. Broken and incomplete quest logs, retcons galore, terrible plot twists, ineffectual villains changed from their core ideals, gameplay and story segregation, McGuffins...there was a whole topic a couple weeks back that had people overwhelmingly point out that there were many more problems than just the ending.
Indeed. ME3 was the stale cake at the end of the three course meal, and the ending was the shit icing. It was some of the poorest storytelling I've ever witnessed.

You can actually see the shitty choice that created the shit icing (the stale cake game is another story). Remember the notes about the ending that were made public? Well, there was a point about making the player "FEEL" a certain way.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.354418-Mass-Effect-3-Check-Out-Mac-Walters-Ending-Notes-Itll-Make-You-Cry

The focus was never to craft a brilliant ending, but rather to cause a certain emotion in the player. The storytelling aspect had been abandoned, and it was most likely because the entire game had no storyboard and was being made up on the fly. ME3's story actually made ME2's story look really good (and that was average at best), but the cinematics were crafted well enough to fool a lot of people, kind of like what Ridley Scott did with Prometheus.

The fact that people are now second-guessing everything Bioware does (to the point of, sight unseen, declaring not to buy any of their products) should tell you enough about where the future of the franchise is at. BW took a highly-anticipated game and made it into a lame duck that failed on just about every level besides the gameplay. No wonder the announcement of DA3 was met with "fool me twice, shame on me".
Can't get fooled again!

Even the gameplay had issues. While the mechanics of it were very good, the actual level design was incompetent. Also, that shit icing of an ending made me not want to start the meal over. I was about 80% through an insanity run of ME1 when I got ME3, and I've never gone back to finish that run, let alone actually continue it through to ME2.

Does that make me a whiney entitled ****? Maybe, but then I'm a whiney entitled **** with lots of money that EA can't have. HAHA, fuck you EA! It's my money, *****, and you can't have none!

I'm also never sure what to make of people that liked the ending: Low standards, don't care, bad taste?

See, video games are entering the realm of becoming recognized as the art form they've always been, and the community needs to absolutely let the studios know when they've made dogshit. Nobody tolerates Battlefield Earth because it was "cool and about aliens and stuff." No, that movie was dogshit of the highest order.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Yes. Yes it did. ME3 proved to me that the underlying promise made by Bioware over the last decade (IE: we'll make your choices feel significant!) is demonstrably bullshit.

They're clearly in the business of giving you as little of what you want as they can get away with while charging you the absolute maximum amount of cash for it.

So fuck 'em, fuck Mass Effect and fuck Dragon Age too while we're at it.

jj90

Oct 24, 2008
nope. brought tears at losing some favourite people and the pride in the speech after the choices....

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
got bored after 2 hours... havent finished ME3 yet... though i loved the 2 others... 3 just.. was meh in style of gameplay for me. For some reason :/

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
No, the final few minutes of a game did not retroactively take back all the enjoyment I had throughout the trilogy up until that point, and yes I would buy a Mass Effect product in all likelihood, if another one comes out.
This.

though in a way it DID ruin the games for me, because now any lingering urge to go play through again is completely gone, knowing how it all ends.

Captcha: ticked off

really captcha, i am not. they were all great, i beat the first 2 twice each, and the third one was very satisfying. just after reading the ending, like a good book series, im happily done with it all. now its just a series of good memories. (my favorite one i think is ME1 the rescuing liara mission. FUCK YOUR INVISIBLE WALL THAT SAYS I CANT GO OVER. IM TAKING THE MAKO THROUGH IT!)

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
this thread is later than a period at an abortion clinic...

No the ending was fine, it's really the only way it could have been done, without being the typical we blow up the bad guys so we win story.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Up until the very end, I loved every moment of the entire trilogy. The ending itself I loathed, but since I'm a total nerd-ass, I just wrote an ending for myself that I thought made more sense.

And then the extended cut came out, which wound up being fairly similar to my preferred ending. So yeah, I was pretty pleased with that.

I'd definitely buy one more Mass Effect product just out of respect for the experience. But more than that, they would have to start by systematically firing/killing off the EA executives first.

Stevolteon

Mar 6, 2012
If there was a valid reason to make another game I might be interested, but really the ending to ME3 doesn't leave any room for a sequel.

That said, I will never buy a game which the game company arbitrarily demands I be online to play. I was so disappointed when I found this was the case for ME3, even on consoles. If I buy a product for recreation I won't be dictated to how and when I use it.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Yes. I'm done with ME3 and it's DLC. If they produce a 4th game, I'll wait for user reviews. I tried replaying the whole series and was unable.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Damn it will you please stop beating poor buttercup with that stick already? :'( Shes dead shes dead already.

Anyway I guess I'll join in hand me that damn stick.

I loved and hated things about the first Mass Effect still easily my most favorite game, I loved and hated things about Mass Effect 2, easily in my top 5 favorites, but I saw somethings that started to worry me in the gameplay area. I loved less, liked some things and hated more things in Mass Effect 3, the things I worried about went in to different directions but still worse than if they stayed before. I won't go into detail because buttercup is nothing more than a dried mesh of fur and bones now.

Will I ever buy another Mass Effect game? Maybe...will I buy that game on launch, no. I will rent that game and then decide if it is worth my money. Thats all that came out of the Bioware fiasco for me. I won't ever buy a game on faith and past experiences again. Now impulse buys can't be properly curtailed so meh its still possible if I have extra money and feel like its worth the risk of another half assed game.

AwesomeNinjaPowers

May 31, 2009
No it didn't. Not all stories are happy ones, some of them need to end dramatically, otherwise we might as well all read books written by Fisher-Price and have somebody hold our hand to cross the street

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
AwesomeNinjaPowers said:
No it didn't. Not all stories are happy ones, some of them need to end dramatically, otherwise we might as well all read books written by Fisher-Price and have somebody hold our hand to cross the street
A bad ending isn't automatically more profound than a happy one. The complaints weren't over the fact that the ending was too sad, they were because it made no sense in the context of the story.

AwesomeNinjaPowers

May 31, 2009
Atbird said:
AwesomeNinjaPowers said:
A bad ending isn't automatically more profound than a happy one. The complaints weren't over the fact that the ending was too sad, they were because it made no sense in the context of the story.
All I know is that all the complaints could be distilled down to abloo bloo bloo abloo bloo bloo

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
AwesomeNinjaPowers said:
All I know is that all the complaints could be distilled down to abloo bloo bloo abloo bloo bloo
All right, I had my doubts but now I'm convinced. Truly, how could I argue with such stunning eloquence?

AwesomeNinjaPowers

May 31, 2009
Atbird said:
AwesomeNinjaPowers said:
All right, I had my doubts but now I'm convinced. Truly, how could I argue with such stunning eloquence?
None can argue with the a bloo bloo bloo NONE I SAY!

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
AwesomeNinjaPowers said:
Atbird said:
AwesomeNinjaPowers said:
Ah but you are wrong!

Behold the POWER!

AwesomeNinjaPowers

May 31, 2009
Atbird said:
AwesomeNinjaPowers said:
Atbird said:
AwesomeNinjaPowers said:
Ah but you are wrong!

Behold the POWER!
Your argument is invalid to me as you used South Park and I despise that series so I say abloo bloo bloo is the ultimate power so nyanyanyanyanyanya NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA XP

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
I never thought that ME3 ending was bad. Only thing that made me feel "bad" about it was probably the fact that the story had been brought to an end. But that's the point in it, right? It would certainly be a bad ending if it didn't make you feel anything! I'd definately buy another ME-game, no matter what!

Suncatcher

May 11, 2011
I... honestly don't know. I love the Mass Effect series; I spent hundreds of highly enjoyable hours playing the first two games, and the third was magnificent 90% of the time. But I've only played through 3 once. When I think about making a new character or running another of my old ones through the final act, I just keep hitting that realization that nothing I do, nothing I have ever done, means shit at the end of the tale. So I want to play again when I have the time, but I have trouble bringing myself to do so.

Will I watch the anime and the movie? Probably. Eventually.
Will I play further Mass Effect games? Maybe. Shepard's story is over, but there's still a huge, wonderful world that's full of adventure up until the end of the Reaper War.
Will I ever buy another game from EA? Probably not, at least without serious changes in how they do things. They have mutilated something I love for the last time.