Did ME3 ruin Mass Effect for you?

stevensane1

Mar 31, 2011
I love Mass Effect. Best sci-fi universe I have seen (there may be a better one, but if there is I don't know of it).
I have warmed to the ending. It obviously has flaws, and even though it didn't work perfectly I like that it was conceptual. A Hollywood ending where Shepard lives happily ever after with the chosen love interest would have been nauseating and completely out of tune with the rest of the series. So no, the ending certainly didn't ruin it for me. I will 100% be buying more ME3 DLC and any further games (unless they do a really boring FPS).

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Allthingsspectacular said:
Another way to look at this question is: Would you ever buy a Mass Effect product again even in best case scenario? (EA losing the IP being a start)

Or did the story ruin it for you?
Why, OP? Why start this again? Why not just necropost one of the berjillion dead threads on the subject?! That way we could at least respond with "Dude, necroposting is uncool!"

Ahem.

I'd probably buy a hypothetical Mass Effect 4, but not at full price. I'd be curious to see where BioWare intends to take what was a finished storyline; how it's going to go about the business of injecting new life into a series that's essentially run its course.

I wouldn't give them the full sixty bucks, though. EA doesn't deserve them, seeing as I assume plenty of people at BioWare were happy to just put the Reapers out of their minds for good.

So off to Green Man Gaming or Direct2Play I'd go. Ridiculously good deals, ho!

Yeti

Sep 23, 2012
No, rather the general decline in quality, which started in ME2 and DA2. If I do buy another bioware game, it won't be until the dust has settled, so to speak, and the price comes down to around 30$, but I don't see myself doing even that.

Plots full of holes and contrivances, mechanics that are dumbed down to the level of one button does all, and missions that take place in series of rooms with 3 foot high walls, not places within a fictional universe, doesn't warrant 15-30 hours of my time. It's a shame, they created something really special with ME1, but it seems unlikely that they will ever pull off the same feat again.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
EA losing the IP being a start
Then , yes. It would also rid the IP of that stupid Origin stuff that way.
I'd still want a studio that values story over shooting to do it , though (The skill tree of the original Mass Effect was nice , so bringing that back would be cool too).

On the ending: Why are people getting so worked up over it? We should be happy that Mass Effect HAS an ending-that not being the case with most franchises.

EDIT: I'll be entirely honest: I didn't really like ME3 that much - it's a more or less solid Action-RPG , that's all. The Story (which was great in ME1 and not much worse in ME2) is just a total mess.

ScreamingNinja

Apr 12, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
Another way to look at this question is: Would you ever buy a Mass Effect product again even in best case scenario? (EA losing the IP being a start)

Or did the story ruin it for you?
Why, OP? Why start this again? Why not just necropost one of the berjillion dead threads on the subject?! That way we could at least respond with "Dude, necroposting is uncool!"

Ahem.

I'd probably buy a hypothetical Mass Effect 4, but not at full price. I'd be curious to see where BioWare intends to take what was a finished storyline; how it's going to go about the business of injecting new life into a series that's essentially run its course.

I wouldn't give them the full sixty bucks, though. EA doesn't deserve them, seeing as I assume plenty of people at BioWare were happy to just put the Reapers out of their minds for good.

So off to Green Man Gaming or Direct2Play I'd go. Ridiculously good deals, ho!
I lol'd at Nercopost. XD

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Canonizing the destroy ending to make a new game set after ME3 is not going to happen ... they are only going to do prequels, and I loathe prequels ... so no.

Of course this only depends on the ending in as much in that the writers wanted to close of the universe for stories set after ME3 (Galactic Dark Age). Not so much the quality of the ending outright (which was atrocious, in fact I didn't finish the game ... alt-f4 is best ending).

With their current crop of writers and producers nothing good is coming out of Bioware any more story wise (ME3 showed they were able to better their ways mechanics wise, but story wise there are 0 indications they have a clue about what they did wrong with DA2 and ME3).

JomBob

Jan 14, 2012
While it is slightly irritating that I will never get anything like a satisfactory conclusion to a story I was enjoying -haven't bought ME3 and most likely never will- I still had fun with the other games. The ME story is fairly self contained and ME2 kind of is, if you don't play Arrival. Just pretend that the Reapers needed the Citadel Relay because otherwise it will take decades or centuries to arrive, and that taking out the Collectors has forced them to do things the hard way.

Actually, that would deal with the galactic triviality of most of ME2.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
I could never buy another ME game. I loved Mass Effect because of the main character. Now that they are changing the point and purpose of it you can't really call it Mass Effect anymore, just something in the Mass Effect universe.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
I still haven't seen the ending, actually, since I have been avoiding the game for unrelated reasons, but when it comes to a decision on whether or not the ending sucked, I actually tend to trust Shamus Young [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Shamus+Young] over on Experienced Points [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/9523-The-Story-Doesnt-Matter] on the matter.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
No, it did not. A 10 min ending, in my opinion, does not invalidate over 100 hours of intensely enjoyable RPG gameplay, in which I got to romance blue chicks, headbutt Krogan's, Destroy Reapers, and hear a Salarian sing.

Until the next Bioware game gives me a reason not to be excited about it (ie they turn it towards something I personally do not want to play) then I have no issues in buying their product.

On a side note, I continue to hope for a new Jade Empire game, as I also really enjoyed that.

May 14, 2011
The ending didn't ruin the games for me. Yeah I thought they weren't good but that doesn't mean I did not enjoy everything leading up to that ending. I am still going to play Mass Effect 3 MP, maybe go back and do a campaign in ME2 because it had the best campaign and the best characters.

If a new game in the mass effect series comes out I might buy it but only if it's not that sort of game that tries to beat a dead horse.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Pretty much.
I hate Origin.
I hate EA.
I hate ME3.

So unless the next game does much better or something I wont get it. BiowarEA is not worth supporting.

captcha: agree to disagree
Fuck you text check!

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Not exactly, Mass effect 2 ruined it for me. The story was an incoherent mess, I was dumbstruck at the outrage caused by the Mass Effect 3 ending, as I had thought anybody still on board with the series would have had to stop caring about the story long ago and simply enjoyed the game play.

It is very unlikely that I would ever buy a Mass Effect game again, but I don't like to say "never".

Scorekeeper

Mar 15, 2011
Mass Effect 3's ending utterly ruined the franchise. I've no plans to buy another ME game. With the departures of Drew Karpyshyn, Ray Muzyka, and Greg Zeschuk, BioWare is dead to me.

Lopende Paddo

Aug 26, 2004
I personally liked the game from start to finish, also the ending was fine for me, left something for the imagination and if you paid a lot of attention while playing the trilogy you can piece together a lot of what happened at the end of ME3 without the developers spelling everything out for you.

and again imagination...

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
At first it didn't ruin it for me, but then it did after further thinking about it. Then after the extended cut, I felt much better about the ending again. I love the series to death though, so I would've gotten over the original ending eventually.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Well, Mass Effect 3 is what got me into the series, so if anything, it just opened it up for me. As for whether I'd play another Mass Effect game. Perhaps. As long as it has nothing to do with Shephard, his crew and the Reapers, then perhaps. I would like one without hordes of DLC as well, but that's wishful thinking.

So I don't know for sure.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Yeah, but not only because of the ending.

All that build up that was supposed to provide a really different ending depending on your choices in the previous games was a total joke. I mean, I knew it couldn't possibly be half as good as they were saying when they were trying to hype up the release, but I was expecting more than a 3 pathway ending that totally ignored every single thing that had happened up to that point.

Anything you did in the previous two games amounted to a 10 second cameo and a few lines and some + or minus imaginary military points that barely affect anything. You can easily get above the low score on a game started new in 3, and you can't possibly get to the high score without playing the awful multiplayer.

I mean shit, this was done better on the SNES 15-20 years ago. Yeah, you didn't have to carry over data from two other games(only because you couldn't), but endings could still actually be altered significantly based on what you did, not some door a,b,or c nonsense.

FalloutJack said:
*Sigh*

I feel it is entirely too petty for people who enjoyed the series overall to be all screwy about the fucking ending. Yes, it would appear that it was rushed and lacking in detail. The two things that bother me about people's reaction is that {A} ambiguous endings are both not uncommon and suppose to spark the imagination to wonder...so when people didn't, I could tell that the ME fans weren't up for that.
All of the ME story up until now, and really everything I can think of Bioware has ever done, has been pretty un-ambiguous. Anything not plainly spelled out through dialogue is generally explained in detail(sometimes too much detail) in codex entries.

Going from this all this established pattern to a sudden shift to the exact opposite makes absolutely zero sense. If mashed potatoes were suddenly purple tommorrow I think most people who were going to eat mashed potatoes would want to know why.