Did Twilight really suck that much?

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
The movies are just really terrible. I have wacthed three of them actually. Why the fuck does Bella have her mouth open all the time? Also they seem to find excuses for Jacod to tear his shirt off(for obvious reasons I guess). And the werewolves look horrible. Plus the glitter-vampires.

I've also noticed that Twilight tries to portray some values for the readers/watchers. Here is a couple of them: Marry someone when you are young, be obsessive, when your boyfriend leaves you try to jump of a cliff or do other harmfull things so he comes back and other humorous things. Not sure if this is intentional but nevertheless, it is fuckin' funny.

goldfalsebond

Nov 19, 2009
yes it was that bad. vampires explode in the sun, they dont sparkle like fruity disco ball. And warewolves only change during the full moon, the ones in the saga are supposed to be lichens (SP?)

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Twilight wasn't all that bad. I read the series shortly before it became ridiculously popular and was even a little excited to read the 5th book[footnote]Book one from Edward's viewpoint.[/footnote] (I liked Edward as a character. He was interesting to me).
Twilight is mainly hated on by the audience it wasn't aimed at. Teenage guys (and childish adults). The book is for teenage girls. The main character is a blank slate for them to project themselves into the middle of the action.
The only people I knew of who hated the book were guys and the girls who were too busy being popular.
Twilight has got to be the worst series I've ever read, but that's only because it's relative to everything I've read. Deltora Quest, Harry Potter, Goosebumps. As stand alone books, definitely not the worst read ever.

Huh. My iPhone automatically capitalises Twilight. Interesting.

LeKiller

Oct 6, 2009
I tried reading the first five pages, couldn't. It's bad vampire fan fiction being sold as a book.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Books and movie; you can't discuss the "cultural phenomenon" that is Twilight without including both in the argument.

So what are they? My best guess: Softcore Romance novels. Only instead of Fabio, we get vampires. Stupid vampires. Pathetic vampires. "Total pussies" vampires. These aren't monsters, they're lost character sheets from the lamest game of World of Darkness ever.

And really, I wouldn't have ever given a toss if not for the motherfucking films. I'd wager that Twilight wouldn't receive even a tenth of the hatred it does online if not for those films.
But no...there was money to be had and by God were they going to milk the SHIT out of it. People rage because this is literary mediocrity reaching the popularity of Lord of the Rings. It says something of our culture when we consider the romance between a passive-aggressive stalker-rapist and a manipulative ***** (who toys with the emotions of the only person who actually cares about her) to be the current modern pinnacle of popular literature.

Oh yes, Americans are reading things, but now only the truly stupid and insipid receive top-billing and become a cultural byword. Call me a snob, but I find it honestly embarrassing to be associated with such a culture.

At this point, I prefer to think of Twilight as the Jersey Shore of modern literature: Overrated, shallow, completely worthless and yet inexplicably popular all at the same time.

But there is a silver lining: For one the Twilight fad is finally winding down. Plus, I expect the Breaking Dawn movie to create endless amounts of unintentional hilarity.

Nov 28, 2007
The writing itself is full of purple prose, the author goes on for a paragraph describing her "plain" protagonist, Bella has as much personality as my left hand on Saturday night, Edward stalks Bella, who finds it attractive, she chases after Jacob while being engaged to Edward, Edward knocks her up despite the author saying that vampires could not have children, Edward sparkles, Jacob is a better love interest for Bella than Edward for the first three books, until the author realized it and completely messed up Jacob's character just so fans would support Bella ending up with her "twu luv", the author is on record as saying her idea of a romantic relationship is Heathcliffe and Catherine from "Wuthering Heights", as well as Romeo and Juliet (in her words, "They died because of their love for each other. What could be more romantic than that?"). She at the same time dismisses Buttercup from "The Princess Bride" as a shallow love interest (pot, meet kettle). Bella attempts suicide just to be saved by Edward...which works. Finally, she ruined werewolves and vampires (they don't sparkle, damn it! Vampires are not diamonds!)

Wow, I didn't realize how many problems I had with Twilight until now.

Creator002 said:
Twilight has got to be the worst series I've ever read, but that's only because it's relative to everything I've read. Deltora Quest, Harry Potter, Goosebumps. As stand alone books, definitely not the worst read ever.
Holy crap, someone else here has read Deltora Quest. Awesomeness.

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
socialtangent said:
Twilight honestly isn't the worst thing I've ever seen. I read through the first book out of curiosity, and I'd give it a 5.5 or 6 out of 10. It's by no means a good series, but it's also not the worst one ever written. In my time reading, I've seen worse. Much worse.
Pretty much this. Got talked into reading it to be able to bash it properly. It can be absolutely awesome, or horrible, if read with the right mindset. It's not... GOOD, definitely not, but it's not so terrible that everyone says either. It's just terribly, terribly dull.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
retyopy said:
I suppose people hate it for the same reason people hate Call of Duty. Because it's popular. Or something.
My disdain for it derives from horrendously poor writing, be it pertaining to the plot itself or the characters within. We have scenes with no logic rationality behind how they reached that conclusion; Edward abruptly loving Bella for instance. Not to mention terrible over abundance of purple prose supposedly fill the novels, with Meyers going into excessive detail of every inch of Edward's body. You factor the subsequent poor acting, camera work, scenery on occasion, hilariously bad 'monster battles' and there is little redeeming it.

All that aside, one of the principle reasons Twilight is so vehemently loathed by some is for the portrayal of vampires, and to a lesser extent, werewolves. It basically makes a mockery of both, taking in nothing from the near century worth of lore to support either, instead running a completely foreign concept to the point we hardly recognize what they are. People are than forced to ask, "Why did you even call them, Vampires?" To which we all know the answer. "Vampires are popular."

So it comes a marketing gimmick and demonstrates just how uncreative and unimaginative Meyers is. The final nail in the coffin, as it were, would be the effect since Twilight's popularity explosion. We no longer see vampires depicted as they were, at least not frequently. Most are being utilized in a teenage drama-esque fashion to capitalize on Twilight. Thus fans of the pre-Twilight vampires and werewolves watched their fandom become tainted. If you detest the X-Men films, you have plenty of alternatives. Vampires have quite a limited scope nowadays, or so it seems.

Call of Duty may be disliked but it isn't a bad game, not be any stretch. There is documented fact to support the notion Twilight is indeed a poorly written novel and movie.

Frankly, you know a series is bad when the two lead actors absolutely hate it. Pattinson goes on to say the following...

"When I read it I was convinced Stephenie was convinced she was Bella and it was like it was a book that wasn't supposed to be published. It was like reading her sexual fantasy, especially when she said it was based on a dream and it was like, 'Oh I've had this dream about this really sexy guy,' and she just writes this book about it. Like some things about Edward are so specific, I was just convinced, like, 'This woman is mad. She's completely mad and she's in love with her own fictional creation.' And sometimes you would feel uncomfortable reading this thing."

He also says this...

"When you read the book," Says Pattinson, looking appropriately pallid even without make-up, "It's like, 'Edward Cullen was so beautiful I creamed myself'. I mean, every line is like that. He's the most ridiculous person who's so amazing at everything. I think a lot of actors tried to play that aspect. I just coudln't do that. And the more I read the script, the more I hated, the more i hated this guy, so that's how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he's a 108-year-old virgin so he's obviously got some issues there."

billygoverton

Jul 3, 2011
Rem45 said:
I'm an old school vampire fan and I'm only 19. The vampires I loved were monsters rejected from hell, doomed to wander the earth feasting on the neck of pretty young blondes.

They didn't fall for the girl.

They did not sparkle in the daylight they burst into freaking flames.

They were not emotional. THEY WERE DEAD! THE LIVING DEAD! They feasted on blood because they had none of their own.

True Blood I can stand. The vampires are violent creatures.
Vampire Diaries, no.
Underworld, yes.
Being Human...Yes.

I don't just mean the shows, I also mean the books.

Also, I read Twilight and it wasn't written that well. I've read much better that have gotten no where near as much praise.

The thing that ticks me off the most is what Twilight did to media.
Vampire Diaries....TEEN WOLF!

Come on, talk about sucking something dry. They are all trying to cash in and filling in valuable air time.

Go read the Song of Ice and Fire series or Matthew Reilly's books. Try Brent Weeks while you're at it. Truly great authors that I loved and that did thorough research and put a hell of a lot of effort into their masterpieces.
Just want to say that Twilight is bad because it's poor quality. The direction, the pandering fan-service style acting. The books seem to be badly written, to the point where I can't say much about it because the first page made me feel stupid for giving it even that much of a shot as a some girl told me to give it a look in high-school before the phenomena.

Also, vampires are fictional characters-- they can be whatever the person using them wants them to be. Whether the elements work is another thing, but they aren't 'wrong' or something.

Also, everyone everyone everyone should watch "Let The Right One In" NOTTTTTTTTT Let Me In. The Swedish adaptation is worlds better than the too-soon American version, in EVERY way. trust me.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Personally? I was rather fond of the books.

But, I can see all the reasons why people are not fond of the books.

The biggest flaw which I can agree with is the vampire mythos she changed. Sparkly vampires that are basically impossible to kill? She didn't just make Bella a Mary Sue, she turned the vampires into Sues too. And no one likes those because they're too perfect or they pretty much demand attention.

And then there's the characters that I'm not fond of. I've told someone in order, my hate went like this:

Book 2: Edward
He tried to be like an alpha male which appealed to me at first but... ugh. I don't even know. He just wasn't all that awesome to me. He wasn't even in that book. I guess I just hate the whole dumping for your own good. Why do people think they know what's good for people so much?

Book 3: Jacob
Forced kisses are used a lot in romance. Like the shut up kiss and usually with the obvious sexual tension meaning that it's hardly forced because both wanted the kiss and the one who gets kissed is usually kissing back with ease... That was not this type of forced kiss. The worst part was that in the book, Bella was unable to push him away 'cause he was too strong so she just sorta shut down until he let her go. Do you know what that implies? What if he'd tried to go further? Implied fucking potential rapist, here. And her father just shrugs it off. Edward's the only one who got pissed. I dunno why he declined to go after him. And then later in the same book? He threatens to kill himself so she'll kiss him. LOSE, Jacob. LOSE!

Book 4: Bella
Make up your god damn fucking mind, you fickle, indecisive hussy!! You already made your choice. Leave Jacob the hell alone. I'm glad that wolf chick made you cry. Someone should have. Hell, you got Jacob so pathetic, he got mad at the girl who was helping him.

And then... we have imprinting. Do not get me started on imprinting. That very thing just ruined the 4th book for me. I was just... ugh. Seriously? That's what Meyers went with? Of course, it was probably because I was being a shipper in there but still!

When it's all said and done, everyone has their own particular flaw that they're focused on in this book. But then if you have more than one flaw, it all adds up and you just can't enjoy reading anymore.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
anthony87 said:
That sounds.....like a pretty damn interesting book.
Yeah...interesting is something of an understatement, just wait til you get to the part with a guy called Jesus De Sade (I think that's the spelling anyway) who is notable for having a zoo of animals specificically for buggering them (and we are left with the image of an aardvark on a platter being left in his bedroom).

Definately worth checking out even if only to find yourself saying 'what the fuck?' every couple of pages.

Wait...What

May 10, 2009
Von Strimmer said:
Wait...What said:
ReservoirAngel said:
Wait...What said:
Okay this is a bit off topic but people saying Vampires do not sparkle is a stupid argument. Vampires do not exist, someone made it up to begin with and made up all there rules and what not. So what's wrong with Meyer making up her own rules and applying them in her story, If anything its original. Granted the execution was poor but at least it shows a bit of originality on her part.

OT- Im not a fan of the Twilight series but i can see that objectively its not terrible. Its like Justin Bieber it appeals to its target audience and if you don't like it just don't watch it. Ive never understood peoples hatred for it. If it doesn't appeal to you just steer clear of it.
She can make up her own rules when she creates her own monsters. Vampires have had the same traits ever since Stoker first made people all over Europe shit their pants in terror. Those traits have stuck for so long, because those traits work.

Suddenly some Mormon housewife rocks up and says "oh by the way vampire fans, sunlight doesn't kill them any more, it just makes them sparkle like glitter." sorry, but no. I don't buy that and nobody else should either. The fact that the sinister and kinda terrifying figure of Count Dracula has been reduced to sparkling in sunlight and angsting over a totally unremarkable teenage attention whore just pisses me off.

I'd be able to tolerate it if the story was at least good, but it's just horrible, boring, bland and badly-written. It's like Meyer just thought to herself "I need to write this bland story, but nobody will buy it. I know, I'll add vampires and werewolves to it! And make the vampires have no weaknesses! Brilliant! Pass the cocaine please!"
Twilight exists within its own universe. If you don't want to accept those rules, then don't. Just stay away from the book and films and stick to the classic vampire stuff as obviously that suits you. There no need to put it down (as aggressively as you did) as some people obviously like it. My main point was that if you don't like it, just ignore it. Some people do like it....so let them
I agree with Resovoir Angel. You can do whatever you want when you make up your own universe and own things (Like George Lucas and Star Wars) but when you start taking things that have taken years to build up the lore and the horror then you have no right to shit all over it like that. Its like saying gamers are rapists because they play bulletstorm. Making all Vampires glittery and shit just ruins the mythos around them. This also applies to Werewolves.
I have no strong feeling either way. Im not really a fan of Twilight or Vampire stories in General (except for 'The Lost Boys' that was fucking awesome)
All im saying is if you don't like it (the rules or the story in general) is it really THAT HARD to just ignore it. You seem to have completely missed my point, sorry if i didn't make it clear. It really doesn't deserve the hatred it gets. There are loads of things i don't like....so i just ignore it. Example-I don't like Justin Bieber, so i don't listen to his music,simple, i don't go around saying he's shitting all over pop music and ruining it.

killercyclist

Feb 12, 2011
not to be mean since this is a forum, and i'm a crappy speller, but, the quality of writing in the twilight series is akin to the paragraph you just wrote, poorly spelled, and poorly punctuated.

Nov 28, 2007
Wait...What said:
Von Strimmer said:
Wait...What said:
ReservoirAngel said:
Wait...What said:
Okay this is a bit off topic but people saying Vampires do not sparkle is a stupid argument. Vampires do not exist, someone made it up to begin with and made up all there rules and what not. So what's wrong with Meyer making up her own rules and applying them in her story, If anything its original. Granted the execution was poor but at least it shows a bit of originality on her part.

OT- Im not a fan of the Twilight series but i can see that objectively its not terrible. Its like Justin Bieber it appeals to its target audience and if you don't like it just don't watch it. Ive never understood peoples hatred for it. If it doesn't appeal to you just steer clear of it.
She can make up her own rules when she creates her own monsters. Vampires have had the same traits ever since Stoker first made people all over Europe shit their pants in terror. Those traits have stuck for so long, because those traits work.

Suddenly some Mormon housewife rocks up and says "oh by the way vampire fans, sunlight doesn't kill them any more, it just makes them sparkle like glitter." sorry, but no. I don't buy that and nobody else should either. The fact that the sinister and kinda terrifying figure of Count Dracula has been reduced to sparkling in sunlight and angsting over a totally unremarkable teenage attention whore just pisses me off.

I'd be able to tolerate it if the story was at least good, but it's just horrible, boring, bland and badly-written. It's like Meyer just thought to herself "I need to write this bland story, but nobody will buy it. I know, I'll add vampires and werewolves to it! And make the vampires have no weaknesses! Brilliant! Pass the cocaine please!"
Twilight exists within its own universe. If you don't want to accept those rules, then don't. Just stay away from the book and films and stick to the classic vampire stuff as obviously that suits you. There no need to put it down (as aggressively as you did) as some people obviously like it. My main point was that if you don't like it, just ignore it. Some people do like it....so let them
I agree with Resovoir Angel. You can do whatever you want when you make up your own universe and own things (Like George Lucas and Star Wars) but when you start taking things that have taken years to build up the lore and the horror then you have no right to shit all over it like that. Its like saying gamers are rapists because they play bulletstorm. Making all Vampires glittery and shit just ruins the mythos around them. This also applies to Werewolves.
I have no strong feeling either way. Im not really a fan of Twilight or Vampire stories in General (except for 'The Lost Boys' that was fucking awesome)
All im saying is if you don't like it (the rules or the story in general) is it really THAT HARD to just ignore it. You seem to have completely missed my point, sorry if i didn't make it clear. It really doesn't deserve the hatred it gets. There are loads of things i don't like....so i just ignore it. Example-I don't like Justin Bieber, so i don't listen to his music,simple, i don't go around saying he's shitting all over pop music and ruining it.
But then again, you don't have a bunch of pop artists popping up to sound like Justin Bieber to cash in on the popularity. When was the last time you actually saw a threatening vampire in a movie?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
spartan231490 said:
retyopy said:
I suppose people hate it for the same reason people hate Call of Duty. Because it's popular. Or something.
exactly.

It's not bad at all, people just hate it because they want to hate things. it makes them feel better about their own pathetic miserable lives
...nope, it's just poorly written. By your logic, something that's popular MUST be good. Honestly, the writing is on par with the average fanfic. I think most people in this form and execute a better narrative.

Wait...What

May 10, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Wait...What said:
Von Strimmer said:
Wait...What said:
ReservoirAngel said:
Wait...What said:

But then again, you don't have a bunch of pop artists popping up to sound like Justin Bieber to cash in on the popularity. When was the last time you actually saw a threatening vampire in a movie?
In twilight....that weird family with the freaky girl. But.......

Again MISSING MY POINT COMPLETELY!!!
All im saying is if you don't like it don't watch it.

Wait...What

May 10, 2009
Sparrow said:
spartan231490 said:
retyopy said:
exactly.

It's not bad at all, people just hate it because they want to hate things. it makes them feel better about their own pathetic miserable lives
...nope, it's just poorly written. By your logic, something that's popular MUST be good. Honestly, the writing is on par with the average fanfic. I think most people in this form and execute a better narrative.
I think 'poorly written' would mean the story is hard to follow (considering its a narrative).

Considering there are legions of fangirls out there who know WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT TWILIGHT (seriously more than is healthy) it kind of makes your point invalid. Dont state your own subjective opinions as fact, mmmmkay?