Did Twilight really suck that much?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Wait...What said:
Sparrow said:
spartan231490 said:
retyopy said:
I suppose people hate it for the same reason people hate Call of Duty. Because it's popular. Or something.
exactly.

It's not bad at all, people just hate it because they want to hate things. it makes them feel better about their own pathetic miserable lives
...nope, it's just poorly written. By your logic, something that's popular MUST be good. Honestly, the writing is on par with the average fanfic. I think most people in this form and execute a better narrative.
I think 'poorly written' would mean the story is hard to follow (considering its a narrative).

Considering there are legions of fangirls out there who know WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT TWILIGHT (seriously more than is healthy) it kind of makes your point invalid. Dont state your own subjective opinions as fact, mmmmkay?
Firstly, don't be so condesending, mmmmkay? Seriously, being an ass makes other people treat you like an ass. Whether you're totally alright with that or not, it's simply going to result in you and some other poor sap, who didn't like the way you spoke down to them, getting banned.

Secondly, it's not a subjective opinion. It jumps from plot points like an aimless frog aiming for the nearest lilypad, it's characters are litterally non-existant in characterisation and most of all it is not polished. I'm not sure what it looked like before the editor got a hold of it, but I honestly feel sorry for them. The way it juts between sentences and just flat out ignores any kind of true pacing pisses me off to no end. The woman is making stacks of cash out of this and she didn't even take the time to make sure her sentences make fucking sense.

Long story short, I'm not saying the plot is badly written - that IS subjective. I'm saying the actual writing, the structure and the vocabulary, suck. It's the difference between saying "This is a bad book" and "This book is not grammatically correct." It's the difference between opinion and downright fact.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
Wait...What said:
Sparrow said:
spartan231490 said:
retyopy said:
I suppose people hate it for the same reason people hate Call of Duty. Because it's popular. Or something.
exactly.

It's not bad at all, people just hate it because they want to hate things. it makes them feel better about their own pathetic miserable lives
...nope, it's just poorly written. By your logic, something that's popular MUST be good. Honestly, the writing is on par with the average fanfic. I think most people in this form and execute a better narrative.
I think 'poorly written' would mean the story is hard to follow (considering its a narrative).

Considering there are legions of fangirls out there who know WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT TWILIGHT (seriously more than is healthy) it kind of makes your point invalid. Dont state your own subjective opinions as fact, mmmmkay?
Poorly written pertains to plot holes, lack of exposition, hand waves, inconsistency in the narrative, utilizing of a deus ex machina and etc. A reader is often expected to overlook some as no work is flawless, and in particular rare instances some authors actually manage the impressive feat of making the aforementioned work. Nevertheless, it is widely accepted these are forms of "Poor writing" and even minor usage can lead to heavy criticism. Fans of the series are not necessarily objective and will simply fill in the blanks, even imagining events that never happened.

Wait...What

May 10, 2009
Sparrow said:
Wait...What said:
Sparrow said:
spartan231490 said:
retyopy said:
exactly.

Firstly, don't be so condesending, mmmmkay? Seriously, being an ass makes other people treat you like an ass. Whether you're totally alright with that or not, it's simply going to result in you and some other poor sap, who didn't like the way you spoke down to them, getting banned.

Secondly, it's not a subjective opinion. It jumps from plot points like an aimless frog aiming for the nearest lilypad, it's characters are litterally non-existant in characterisation and most of all it is not polished. I'm not sure what it looked like before the editor got a hold of it, but I honestly feel sorry for them. The way it juts between sentences and just flat out ignores any kind of true pacing pisses me off to no end. The woman is making stacks of cash out of this and she didn't even take the time to make sure her sentences make fucking sense.

Long story short, I'm not saying the plot is badly written - that IS subjective. I'm saying the actual writing, the structure and the vocabulary, suck. It's the difference between saying "This is a bad book" and "This book is not grammatically correct." It's the difference between opinion and downright fact.
First of all, sorry if you thought i was speaking down to you. Its just the way i speak i apologise :). I dont want to upset anyone especially on what is a pretty meaningless debate.

I think it IS a subjective point. When i read it i found none of these issues present. Maybe im just stupid but......Dint particulate like it but like i said before im not that into vampires my ex gf forced me to read it.

I understand what you're saying but PERSONALLY i think 'poor writing' or 'bad writing' is subjective.

Metropocalypse

Aug 22, 2009
Dr. McD said:
Metropocalypse said:
I like vampires, I like werewolves, I like fantasy, I actually surprisingly like teen school dramas. Yet I found Twilight to be one of the slowest, most uninteresting, boring films I've ever seen in my life.

No artistic quality, that's fine because there are entertaining mindless non-artistic films. But this wasn't even entertaining, there was no tension... absolutely nothing. Even the plot itself... it didn't grip me... there was no strong theme or anything that made me care about the characters or whatever happened to them. And even if I did, I got the impression they were just making things hard for themselves.
This is EXACTLY how I feel about Twilight.

I'm not against the re-imagining of vampires and werewolves. And despite how silly certain scenes are, that is not it's biggest problem. The problem is that the characters and plot are SO FUCKING BORING. The re-imagining is just, well, stupid. SPARKLING?! Seriously?! This isn't the literature equivalent to junk food, it's vomit. And even then it's particularly bad vomit, I have literally seen better fanfics, and I'm not even talking about ones like Tiberium Wars.

Long story short, Twilight is just plain BORING, the "forbidden" romance is immediately accepted by everyone, the villain wasn't threatening, the "love" story was about two obsessed stalkers.

And the repetitive descriptions of Edward made it feel like the plot wasn't even moving along. Even I can at least GET ON WITH IT.
It's not vomit, it's a dry heave. Vomit has substance, and you feel better afterwards.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Now while I can't say anything for the rest of the series the first book was just badly written. I'm sure that in the right hands it could have been something more, but Bella was about interesting as a dead cat. It really sucks too because I love me some good vampire lore but with this I have to explain that I like the vampires of ol' and not the sparkly ones.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
The Twilight series is a poorly written propaganda festival. It's a laundry list of religious "morals" wrapped up into a badly thought out soap opera with a few fantasy elements thrown in. And it's teaching an entire generation of young females very bad things.

1) Women are only worth anything when they have a man. (Only a man, mind. No icky homosexuality.)
2) All sexual feelings, thoughts and acts are to be repressed, demonized and feared unless you have a piece of paper validating your relationship.
3) All women should be HONORED when men stalk them and treat them like property. Fawn over the danger you're in, vagina owners!
4) Upon being validated by your piece of paper, you should immediately lay down and start making babies. Make sure to start young!

I could go on, but you get the point.

Further, it's just poorly written tripe. I haven't read all 10 pages of comments, but there have been probably a hundred better books recommended.