Did You All Forget To Be On Guard Against E3?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
canadamus_prime said:
I spend the entirety of this year's E3 going on Google+ and watching idiots cream their pants all the while facepalming at how everyone had apparently forgotten previous year's E3s where very little put on display was actually accurately representative of the product in question.
Because being a grouchy, judgemental buzzkill is the only way to be intelligent, eh? Getting hyped is only for "idiots", huh? Getting excited about Dark Souls 3, Horizon and the FF remake is all clearly a mistake because they're not gonna be perfect and i might go "eh" for a minute and still enjoy the game with slightly tapered expectations. Nevermind me. Resident moron and still-hyped person passing through.
When one's excitement is based on what history has shown could quite easily be outright lies then yes, that would make that person an idiot. I would've thought we'd have learned by now, but apparently I'm the only one who has.
No wonder you can't see why people might be excited. Must be hard for you to see anything past your own colon. Hype material is lies? That seems like overdramatization to me. How often has E3 been peddling lies in the past decade? Give me more examples than i can count on one hand, please.
"Apparently i'm the only one who has" get over yourself, man.
It only takes one or 2 examples before I start getting suspicious of the AAA hype train, esp. when there have been huge ones like Aliens: Colonial Marines.
Incidentally find me someone else that has learned to reign in their excitement and I'll stop believing I'm the only one.
Did you read this entire comment thread? More than half the people here are like that. You're never alone in any sort of opinion and especially not in this echo chamber known as the Escapist so what i'm trying to tell you is to get off your high horse because being humorless and cynical does not make you more intelligent and it does not make you special, and trying to call everyone an idiot just because they get excited about things they like just makes you seem like an ass.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Everytime Yahtzee writes about stuff like E3 i find it harder and harder to believe that he's the one who once said "I'd rather be stupid and having fun than bored out of my huge, genius mind".

Yes, i get excited about E3 and stuff that's shown off. I like games. I like getting hyped up abount games, it's a good feeling. "But you'll just bedisappointed when the game comes out and is nothing like the 30-second pre-animated out-of-engine trailer!" Not really. Because i know that hype material isn't going to be 1:1 with the actual game. It's possible to be fully aware of the implications of the things that goes on at E3 and in games marketing while also getting excited about things.

It's this cynical hype-kill attitude i find increasingly hard to swallow from a lot of people.
Exactly. It's not like these developers are INTENTIONALLY lying, they just massively overestimate their skills because they really want to do better than they already are. At minimum, the people who present at E3 are just telling us about things they're working on and getting their names out so we remember them later to decide on getting them. Like one of my classmates from college said, "If you aim for the sky, and hit a mountain, that's still not bad."

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
I honestly don't get why being hyped is such a catastrophic move. I mean, by all means, be critical of what you see, it is wise to remember that what they show you on-screen will not neccesarily be what you experience. But let's say I see Fallout 4 and get hyped about it. I think it looks really great, I've enjoyed Fallout 3 and want the game. Honestly, what's the worst that can happen? People often stress the "dangers" of liking what you see, how it's "wrong" to be excited and happy about something, that you should always expect the corporate vultures to urinate on everything you like and fuck the developers for profit. If that is the case or not is a completely different discussion. But really, what cataclysmic fallout awaits us "foolish sheep" who let ourselves be impressed and even hopeful about something? We might buy the game.... and be disappointed with what we get. That seems about it. Wow, what a tragedy.

I should probably stress beforehand that disappointment is not uncommon to me. I played and absolutely loved Mass Effect 1&2 and was really disappointed with ME3 (not just the ending, mind you). I also bought Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros, and fucking hated it, despite the glowing praise from many others. But after that disappointment, after my expectations were not met, what exactly happened? Not much, I washed my hands and moved on. This does not mean I am not against criticizing games or expressing that disappointment, or being a bit sceptical and think critically of what people promise (especially Molyneux, that guy has promised features in his games that were not technologically possible at the time). I just don't see a reason why these letdowns has to mean we should never have a positive outlook on something that seems good, out of fear of being let down, why some overhyped games should poison and worsen the mood here in our fine community. I especially remember Moviebobs video on the Phantom Menace, how for years and years the fans went on, cynical and negative to their "destroyed childhoods", because they didn't like what George Lucas had made after the first three. And what did they gain from it? Very little, honestly. I fear we might be doing the exact same thing. If we are, I won't be a part of it.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
Good read, Yahtzee. Hard to believe you have so many E3 rabid fanboiz (gender not limited) in your audience. At least in the comments. :p

I am looking forward to Fallout 4, while the hype machine was in fine form at E3 (for FO4) it is also aimed at a release this year, before Xmas! Amazing. I am tired, really tired, of the hype machine being fueled up for games that have no official release date. Really, then why push it now? If ever for that matter.

The push to our lower brain functions gets real old real fast, as in EA showing off Prey 2 and canning the team basically while the presentation was still in demand on YouTube.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
canadamus_prime said:
I spend the entirety of this year's E3 going on Google+ and watching idiots cream their pants all the while facepalming at how everyone had apparently forgotten previous year's E3s where very little put on display was actually accurately representative of the product in question.
Because being a grouchy, judgemental buzzkill is the only way to be intelligent, eh? Getting hyped is only for "idiots", huh? Getting excited about Dark Souls 3, Horizon and the FF remake is all clearly a mistake because they're not gonna be perfect and i might go "eh" for a minute and still enjoy the game with slightly tapered expectations. Nevermind me. Resident moron and still-hyped person passing through.
When one's excitement is based on what history has shown could quite easily be outright lies then yes, that would make that person an idiot. I would've thought we'd have learned by now, but apparently I'm the only one who has.
No wonder you can't see why people might be excited. Must be hard for you to see anything past your own colon. Hype material is lies? That seems like overdramatization to me. How often has E3 been peddling lies in the past decade? Give me more examples than i can count on one hand, please.
"Apparently i'm the only one who has" get over yourself, man.
It only takes one or 2 examples before I start getting suspicious of the AAA hype train, esp. when there have been huge ones like Aliens: Colonial Marines.
Incidentally find me someone else that has learned to reign in their excitement and I'll stop believing I'm the only one.
Did you read this entire comment thread? More than half the people here are like that. You're never alone in any sort of opinion and especially not in this echo chamber known as the Escapist so what i'm trying to tell you is to get off your high horse because being humorless and cynical does not make you more intelligent and it does not make you special, and trying to call everyone an idiot just because they get excited about things they like just makes you seem like an ass.
I never said that being cynical made me intelligent. And for your information I have a great sense of humor, but the AAA game industry has lost all respect and integrity in my eyes. And finally I'm not calling people idiots for getting excited, I'm calling them idiots for failing to learn from previous years E3s and such fiascoes as Aliens: Colonial Marines.

normalguycap

Oct 11, 2009
When Yahtzee speaks, I listen. I enjoy very much what he has to say, not because of cynical glee, but the real structure and intelligence he has behind it. I'm very happy he has his extra column. Always speak up Yahtzee, people do listen even if they are foolishly silent.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"explore the rest of the area around the object for more loot and drinkable toilets"
Ahhhh, those Delicious Drinkable Toilets! I even have one installed in my very own house, I tell you!!! I call it DDT for short, and my friends know and love it too. They'll go: "Aw, can I please have another sip from the DDT, I'm a bit parched!". :D

As hilarious as the above was, the awfully true is the following:
"We live in a world of many, many silent intelligent people and many, many talkative fuckwits.".
I recommend finding one of the latter to do all the badgering for you that is needed to get anything done from a big organisation that snubs polite contact (like all of them). You can keep them chained up in the basement for cheap; just don't allow them to sip from your DDT too often, they'll grow too content to oblige on command! :(

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I tried, Ben, Lord knows how I tried but I'm a little excited for No Man's Sky after E3. My brain tells me it'll just be a thousand palette swapped planets with nothing to do but something else is saying "space exploration, man. You should buy this day 1."