Different Mars One Finalist: It Totally Isn't a Scam

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
The following post comes from someone who's met and spoke to Ryan a fair few times in real life, as a member of the university's space and astronomy society (which he's the president of).

Ryan's a solid guy, and I have no doubt that he sincerely believes that this project is viable and valid. He's also a really smart fellow. The problem I've encountered is that he uncritically seems to accept the MarsOne premise; I've yet to see a bone of cynicism in him about the entire endeavour yet. He's always seemed motivated primarily by the exciting prospect of going to Mars, rather than the real logistical challenges MarsOne faces. The way he expresses it is that he'd rather try for a Mars mission than have no Mars mission at all; he doesn't seem to consider the potential backfiring this mission could have if it topples due to ineptitude or there is a critical failure (if it even gets that far).

He's passionate about space exploration in all forms. He just seems to lack the inclination to state that there are better ways of going about it, and all shots at it must somehow be good.

MarsOne is dubious at best. The only decent Mars plan I've seen is Zubrin's Mars Direct programme. It's all well and good to say all attempts to shoot at Mars are worthwhile, but I doubt that'll be a good thing to say when an Apollo 1 happens and all endeavours to Mars are deemed too dangerous to go ahead for a generation.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I demand that this person changes his legal name to Ronald then we can all sing his favorite song.

Well its internets way of arguing it seems. take somone elses points and refute them one by one. Though it still does not make me trust Mars One.

robert022614 said:
I will tend to trust a doctor over a 21 year old student.
I will trust the person making the best arguments and grounding them in proof rather than appeal to authority.

008Zulu said:
Here's the metric we should use; If it falls apart and people don't get their money back, it's a scam.
The problem with this metric is that by the time we get a meaninful answer the answer no longer matters.

Realitycrash said:
This actually got be pondering whether or not this is a legitimate argument or not. Afterall, based on induction, 21-year olds will tend to have a lot less experience and knowledge than old doctors, and thus merits our trust. On the other hand, age and experience does not logically equal truth of reasoning.
It would only hold any ground if all 21 year olds and all professors had same knowledge. which they do not. A 40 year old professor can be far more out of touch with reality than a 21 year old student in some cases, which means that basing authority on age alone never was and never will be a good idea. which is why age rating systems dont work.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
It would only hold any ground if all 21 year olds and all professors had same knowledge. which they do not. A 40 year old professor can be far more out of touch with reality than a 21 year old student in some cases, which means that basing authority on age alone never was and never will be a good idea. which is why age rating systems dont work
So asking a 21 year old what being 75 years old feels like is just as valid as asking a 75 year old?
(You committed a hasty generalization!)

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I dunno, the whole thing just sounds like something one would read on The Onion. I have no faith in this project at all.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Any rebuttal that takes the form of a Youtube video titled "10 reasons x is y" sets off little alarm bells in my head.

Most likely explanation? Mars 1 PR team needs someone on the inside to refute allegations made by another insider, finds 21 year old physics student, promise him place on ship for towing the company line, profit. That's where my money is anyway.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Psst. If you get in the rocket I'll give you martian candy. Wait...really? We...we never thought anyone would actually fall for that.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
drkchmst said:
Scam or not, it boils down to this for me- if not a scam, then race to be the first Earthlings to die on Mars. Count me out of participating and supporting such a goal.
Tons of people live and die without achieving anything. At least the first person to die on mars would have achieved that.