Digga', Please

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
triggrhappy94 said:
Once again proving that the Elf is a hundred times hotter than the Sorceress
Only if you can't handle a real woman. Amazon all the way.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Abomination said:
I'm actually kind'a disappointed we have a wizard and an amazon. I would have thought a better roster would have been a cleric and a thief/rogue, maybe even a paladin instead of the Fighter.

Amazon, Fighter and Dwarf are all just redundant versions of each other. The elf is at least a hybrid.
Wait, I thought the Fighter (Armored dude with an inexplicably tiny head) was really a Paladin? Although in a large sense, in that game ALL the PC's are fighters, it's how they do it that sets them apart. The Elf shoots things with her bow ('cause that's how elves do) and the Dwarf chops stuff with his Axe. Wait again, the Amazon's weapon's a Poleaxe. I gotta figure out the logistics of this.

theyellowmeteor

Sep 9, 2012
So, Fighter, Sorceress, Wizard... Elf and Dwarf. Well, the game was made by Humans, and seeing the way they treat women, they have a lot of issues to work through!

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
Sseth said:
...I don't get it. I should care about racism towards mythical races that don't actually exist, because...?
I honestly don't see this as a racism issue. I think this fall more one the lines of cliche tropes and concepts withing the so called "fantasy" genre.

To be fair, it would be too much for video game makers to be making points on a matter so... Idk... so meta. In literary circles the subject has been approached with more focus but remember that literature is a medium with hundreds of years of history, development and academic study behind it... video games are not.

The stereo type of the warrior - mage - priest and the elf - dwarf - orc will, some day, be debated as video game makers start challenging the "traditional" take on the "fantasy" genre in games.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The funniest thing about this comic is the fighters body. Honestly, it looks like someone attached a melon to King Kong's shoulders.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I can't handle all the political correctness! I need to just stop opening anything that has anything to do with Dragon's Crown.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
RebelRising said:
Honestly, the title for this strip just reminds me of how much I miss Doraleous & Associates.

Yes, I'm still bitter about that. Sue me.
You and me both. That's pretty much the only reason I clicked the link, to hurt myself more.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Yeah I never understood the naming of the characters...some are the professions (makes sense) and the others are just...races...? I mean they couldn't have called the Elf the Ranger/Hunter? Or the Dwarf as the...err...Warrior #2?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
*head desk* so the game is sexist and racist now?

we sure its an actual thing or we just making things up at this point cause there's been nothing to really ***** about for a while.

cause that's what its starting to feel like.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
amaranth_dru said:
No. Race is biological subset, ethnicity is a cultural subset. Not the same thing.

Example: Race - Caucasian
Ethnicities - Irish, Welsh, German, French, Slovak, etc.
This is wrong.

Race is the term we incorrectly use for ethnicity.

Racism shouldn't be a word because we are all one race, humans, regardless of skin color.

Ethnicity is where those differences in our race play a role.

Caucasians are the ethnicity of those who originate from the Caucasus mountain range

Edit:

What you've claimed as being ethnicity is actually Nationality.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Richfeet said:
Humans=Caucasians
Dwarves=Blacks
Elves=Asians

There that clears things up.
I want to make a joke... but I'm pretty sure I'd get in trouble for it.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Richfeet said:
Humans=Caucasians
Dwarves=Blacks
Elves=Asians

There that clears things up.
That clears everything up, the game is racist! theres no Mexican class!!! , it should learn from southpark and include a Jew class also

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114776-South-Park-RPG-Class-List-Includes-the-Jew

BTW Don't you feel that we're missing a healer class?, Hoping for an expansion with my priestess.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Draconalis said:
Race is the term we incorrectly use for ethnicity.
Actually, you're both right.

"Race" is a way of categorizing human beings according to perceived biological or essential differences. However, every assumption ever produced by race science has been widely debunked, so you're right in that most sane people now prefer the term ethnicity to the term race. The main difference is that, unlike race, ethnicity does not generally purport to be a physical scientific term, it describes how people are socially identified by their ancestry.

So basically..

We are one species, homo sapiens.

This species was at one point thought to be divided into a number of races determined by physiological and innate psychological characteristics.

However, very few of these characteristics turned out to actually exist, so instead we are divided into much more nuanced and local ethnic groups.

Racism is the (at this point very foolish) belief that races actually "exist" and that being part of a given race confers any kind of intrinsic meaning about who you are.

Most of the touchstones of fantasy were all written at a time when racism was still very much the majority position, and unfortunately while most fantasy writers were not maliciously hateful towards other races in their own personal lives, that simple fact does come out (just as it does in almost all media produced at the same time). The fact that we still identify elves and dwarves as "races" rather than "species" is an affectation which we've (perhaps unfortunately) forgotten the significance of.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Draconalis said:
I was taught that race and species were synonymous.
They're not.

Race science predates the idea of evolution as we understand it (some racial theories like the Hamitic hypothesis were explicitly grounded in Biblical creation).

As evolutionary theory took hold, there were attempts to classify the "races" as different species, heck at one point in that crazy post-Darwinian world the belief became popular among some sections of the scientific community that men and women were different species, but the vast majority of racists still accepted that there was one species, homo sapiens. Within that species were several races.

We have analogous things today, for example with dog breeds. A pug and great dane are both canis lupus and genetically are pretty much indistinguishable, but we see them as very different animals because they look different.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Cap'n! The autism levels are too high!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3hp-JbSyVBmfth2ICFaN_OTZ-cyMvwEknseu_u1Kb66_-by08

We shouldn't have come!

(Can't resist giving the wasp nest a good prod, could you, lads?)

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
You know, for all the scrutiny and hate that Dragon Age 2 received, I think it did a fine job avoiding the whole "Elves shoot things and Dwarves smash things" generalization. Among other things.

OT: I'm really enjoying these Dragon's Crown strips.