Digital Distribution: The Other Guys

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
DTWolfwood said:
I do like Desura for its built in Mod Manager Support. I use it for all the Homeworld 2 mod i play :p

As other users pointed out to me, you can activate your Steam copies of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 on Origin. I tried it myself, and it worked.
Y THE FUCK AREN'T THEY SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ?!?!

Seriously i have to find out about it second hand? At the least i am slightly less jaded about them now knowing i can "double up" sorta speak on my EA titles, so if for some unholy reason i lose my steam account some1 games can be salvaged!
We haven't learned yet that EA's marketing arm is just...awful? They haven't failed from a technical standpoint at all with Origin. They've failed horribly with the marketing side of it.

For instance, unless you go read the EULA, you wouldn't know it's changed from when everyone freaked out over it.
I did know about the change. There was an article on it here of all places lol.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Most of the games that I review come from Gamers Gate, so far it has been a handy service and the prices seem good.

Auirc

Sep 29, 2009
I always figured there were competitors to Steam but never really needed to branch out, as the service provided by Steam is quite excellent. I can't really say Steam is better than the others, as I have never tried them, but I have had experience with GFWL games. Every time the "You need to log into Windows Live to play this game" pops up when I run a new game, I throw my hands up in the air and scream, "WHAT THE F***! WHY!?"

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
One nitpick, though: they didn't just announce the buyout early in the year; they did it on April Fools Day. Nobody believed the press release at first because of it XD
Haha, I thought the timing of that announcement was odd myself. I need to take another look at Impulse. I kind of lost track of it after it was sold to Gamestop. I might get Trine 2 from it and see how it is going these days.

OT: For myself I use Steam and very much so GoG's these days. I love GoG's.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
To be fair on Origin, it's maybe more evil, but very likely more competent than the old EA Store.

I keep an eye on a deals site, and the number of times EA showed up with some screwed up deal that meant you could buy a load of games for silly prices, at one point, you bought 2 packs of Coke, typed their codes in and you could get every game on EA under a tenner for free :)

Purely because whoever made the site hadn't a clue, I believe.

At one point I got Burnout Paradise for a fiver, because the £10 off £30 and the £5 off £15 spend voucher codes not only both worked on a £20 game, but both worked at once. On top of that, any OTHER game you added would get the £15 off too, I only didn't do it because I figured it'd be verging on fraud. I don't mind getting a great discount, but I know when I'd be taking the piss.