Director Eyeing Scarlett Johannson to Play Elena in Uncharted Film

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Director Eyeing Scarlett Johannson to Play Elena in Uncharted Film

The director of Uncharted thinks that the luscious lipped actress Scarlett Johannson would fit as the perky reporter love interest of Nathan Drake.

We probably have months of casting specualation ahead of us before the final cast of the Uncharted adaptation is announced, but that doesn't mean we can't speculate. Mark Wahlberg was mentioned to play Nathan Drake, and the actor also named Joe Pesci and Robert Deniro as possible costars, but then an interview with "confirmed" by Wahlberg [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106493-Nearly-Everything-We-Know-About-the-Uncharted-Movie-Is-Apparently-Wrong]. As of right now, we actually know very little about who will play the characters we've come to know from the game. All we do know is that the director of Oscar-nominated The Fighter, David O. Russell, is tapped to write the script and direct the film. And that he is apparently considering casting Scarlett Johannson as Nathan Drake's erstwhile partner searching after El Dorado. That is, if that's even the plot of the movie. Sigh.

Well, here's what Russell had to say about casting Elena. "I've cultivated her [character] quite a bit and I think I've added a lot of dimension to her so that's all I'm going to say. I love the woman characters and the more robust they are, the more robust the movie," Russell said.

The interviewer then asked whether he was interested in casting Amy Adams, who Russell had just worked with on The Fighter. "Oh I would love that too, I love Amy. I also love Scarlett Johansson; there's a lot of great actors I think might suit. Hopefully, we'll see how it works out with everybody who are being scoped to do that role," he said. Just the fact that he mentioned Johansson's name so prominently means that he's considering her, but you never know how Hollywood casting will work out.

On the film itself, Russell pointed out how movie-like the game is and hopes that the film will live up to Uncharted's standards. "The game is very cinematic; there's no question about it. That's what I'm working on real hard and I'm writing it as we speak and I'm really excited to make it. I'd love Mark to be in it, I'd love Bob De Niro to be in it; I love the idea of growing them into a cinematic family; I think that's a really cool idea, but ... I guess you'll have to wait until you see the script."

So does that mean that Robert De Niro will play Sully? The family aspect certainly points to the dynamic in Drake's Fortune.

What do you think about Scarlett Johansson as Elena? Does that fit your image of her from the game?

Source: Empire Online [http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1179]

(Image [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scarlett_Johansson_in_Kuwait_01b-tweaked.jpg])

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Hmmm, i wouldn't know who else to put in her place if asked, Gwen paltrow? Johannson seems like a fine choice anyway. the only requirements for Elena is blond hair anyway.

El dorado? what? on the hunt for a Muisca tribal chief who covered himself with gold dust? good luck with that. Cant see how they will fit Nazi's or UberTemple guards into the story line though. Unless they use Conqistadors and this fellow

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
People seem to have a thing for Scarlet. I don't get it, myself. Saw her in Iron Man 2 and thought she was just weird looking.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Seriously? Why do we need an Uncharted film?
What, for the people who really want to know the story but don't like games?
I don't get it.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
No no no no no no no! Does this need an all-famous-face cast? At what point will it end up looking like Dungeon Siege, some piece of shit a bunch of well-known, washed-up actors jump on for a cynical paycheck?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"What do you think about Scarlett Johansson as Elena? Does that fit your image of her from the game?"

Does it matter? We have 20 hours worth of time with the original characters and actors to play with, why people care so much about watching something they could play is beyond me.

Anyway, she's blonde, she's fit, why not?

Personally I'd rather see her in something that I actually want to see.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Well at least there will be one thing I can enjoy through this schlock-fest, Johannson is a fine young actress (naysayers watch Vicky Christina Barcelona, you'll really dig it) and simultaneously she's absolutely gorgeous

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
You guys do know that David O Russell is up for an academy award? Man, what do you people want exactly? It's not like there's a law that demands filmmakers listen to anything you have to say. Reminded me of a classic Yahtzee quote (because it was used in t shirt ads) "Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it. Incidentally, why not buy a Zero Punctuation t-shirt?"

Watch Three Kings and tell me this man isn't capable of making a compelling treasure hunt action movie. Anyways, just about everything I've read about this movie has ended up being false and made up because it's not high enough profile to have the studio do rumor control. The script is probably not even written yet. It will most likely never be made, no thanks to whining on the internet about it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
My face is still stuck in the same cringe as when they announced they were making a Uncharted movie.

zelda2fanboy said:
Watch Three Kings and tell me this man isn't capable of making a compelling treasure hunt action movie.
I want to highfive you, Three Kings (if we're talking the one in Iraq) is one of my favorites.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
I vote no movie, but if they have to why don't they just have the actual voice actor play her?

Or are they just that STUPID?

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
WanderingFool said:
My face is still stuck in the same cringe as when they announced they were making a Uncharted movie.

zelda2fanboy said:
Watch Three Kings and tell me this man isn't capable of making a compelling treasure hunt action movie.
I want to highfive you, Three Kings (if we're talking the one in Iraq) is one of my favorites.
Point well made here. Three kings was a good movie.

To be honest, I don't think I'll watch this until someone I know tells me it's worth it. Also I'd bet everything I own that when it is eventually made, it'll be in 3D. Ka-ching.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Eh, she's as good a pick as anyone.
Though, if she was 10 years younger and in the peak of her career I'd pick Cameron Diaz over Scarlett.

Still can't see Marky Mark as Drake, he's a good enough actor, but I just don't get a Drake vibe from him.
Nathan Fillion or even Nolan North would still be better choices... oh well, it still has a chance, a small small chance.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
Still don't care... and I won't as long as they continue writing it like National Treasure.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
And really, even IF this movie needs to be made (which it doesn't), why not get a proper action director, writers known for their quality adventure writing (here's a hint, Russel isn't either) and actors that suit the characters that they're portraying. It's like nothing has been learned of Max Payne where the studio and director basically said, "fuck it" and did their own thing and were suddenly surprised because nobody liked the final product.
Sorry if the man didn't make movies that fit within your narrow spectrum of what qualifies as good, but David O Russell's films, whether you like it or not, are a part of film history now and are accepted (not just by fans like me and others on this board, but multiple professional organizations) as quality works of art. Even former president Bill Clinton has publicly praised Three Kings, even if it had "mediocre directing" (whatever you think that means).

Meanwhile (thanks to a little imdb), Max Payne was made by a "proper action director," John Moore, whose other credits include Behind Enemy Lines and Flight of the Phoenix. By your measure, that guy with those two movies under his belt has a better pedigree to get a shot at the movie than an oscar nominee. And if it's the studio that makes the difference, Fox made Max Payne and Sony's making Uncharted. The only tenuous connection these two movies have to each other is Mark Wahlberg.

I mean if you don't think this movie should even be made, why do you even care the slightest bit who's in it, writing it, or directing it? Don't go see it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
forget it, the rest of the film's planned stuff is crap already (well okay maybe not, but definitely doesn't show too much promise for optimism)

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Greg Tito said:
So does that mean that Robert De Niro will play Sully? The family aspect certainly points to the dynamic in Drake's Fortune.

What do you think about Scarlett Johansson as Elena? Does that fit your image of her from the game?
Both of these would fit perfectly, and having such a cast would mean the movie would have a chance to be the first genuinely good non-animated game to movie crossover. Freakin Robert de Niro? Do want!

I don't like Mark for the lead tho, Fillion would be a better fit and he even wanted to do it badly!