Disabled Gamer's Dead Space 2 Problems Gets Developer's Attention

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Good for them. Hey, even if his request falls on blind ears and deaf eyes, he can still resort to Ben Heck.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Shame they didn't patch the PC version of Deadspace one so people who play it with mouse and keyboard controls could.

Not to sound like a total bastard, though even though I typed it, read it and typed this bit out...it's gotta be said.

Tons of people buy Deadspace and complain the controls are awful and you can't customize them and they say "play with a controller" and that's that. Though one person with a (severe) disability complains and they're gonna patch it? The world confuses me daily seriously...

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Good on Visceral Games then.
It's a pity that stories about negative gaming related incidents get shown on the news, rather than positive stories like this.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Anyone who has Cerebral Palsy and gets around that by playing games with his chin is fucking awesome in my books.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
I got to hand it to Visceral, and also EA. They're really playing the good guy these days, despite controversial marketing campaigns. First the "Bad Dog" thing, then this. Are you taking notes Activision?

Apr 28, 2008
He plays with his chin? Wow, thats insane.

Good on Visceral. I may get Dead Space 2 just because they seem like such nice people.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
I'm more curious how someone moves a game character using their chin? :S
He's got skills.
-Tabs<3-
I was thinking the same thing, how the hell does he play a game properly using his chin?

Still, if it works for him and Visceral are taking value in a customer then fair play.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
I say again and again, that the gaming industry is directing its focus -the wrong way-. Motion controllers might be a refreshment, but it keeps the standard controls stagnant in development. Not that there's much you can do with them any more since they pretty much completed their design with the Xbox controller (for me atleast).

What do I suggest, then? Stop with controllers all together. Lets start making mind-control an accessible market! Everything would be able to be played in the comfort of your couch since all you need is to link up with a head set that scans your brainwaves or whatever it needs to do. The technology's there, it just hasn't been adjusted for mass production yet!

Once perfected, imagine the possibilites! The reaction times, the speed, the fluidity!

It wouldn't matter what sort of physical handicap you suffer from.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
All the more reason why Visceral Games is fucking awesome. I bet if you ask for it, they can cure cancer!

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Considering no one has mentioned it yet. I will.

I wonder if his Mom still hates Dead Space 2?

OT: That's pretty awesome. It seems kind of strange though that the game wouldn't already have that, especially on a PC.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
In this day and age, you'd think it would be the standard across every game, to allow you to customize controls however you want them on the PC. That's usually the joys of playing on PC, the lack of such restrictions. It drives me nuts when a developer doesn't do this.

For instance, I almost bought Magicka the other day. Well, I decided, I should probably get the demo first, just in case. Good thing I did. My middle mouse button is apparently no more. Not a problem, I usually think, as there are a great many other buttons on my mouse to use instead, and it always feels kinda awkward using the middle one. Whelp, turns out you can't actually rebind the cast spell key to anything but the middle mouse button. As a result of not allowing me to customize my controls, they lost a sale.

Take a note, developers. This not only makes a difference for disabled gamers, but also for those of us who have certain standards we try to maintain with our control scheme.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
A friend of mine in college had CP and had to play Killzone with one hand. Impressive stuff. He came over and was having a really hard time with Gears of War. Makes you thankful for your health, and feel respect for those who are determined to not be hindered by their physical handicaps.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
This is good, but how were mappable controls NOT included in the first place?

Is it really that much bloody effort to put in without being asked?

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
That's nice of them.

Now... if only they would fix those fucking QTE's for the PC version... then I could actually get past Stross.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
So... Isaac Clarke, in a wheelchair, fighting off Ninja Killer Space Zombies of Doom with his chin?
FUCKING. BADASS.

(maybe i should be more serious, but hey, that's an awesome image right there)

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
You know, I'll probably never play this game, but these developers have really been impressing me lately with how much they're listening to players and incorporating that feedback into their games. I don't usually hear about developers taking such an active interest in what their fan base says and wants beyond what the numbers (both ratings and cash) show. Kind of refreshing.