Disabled Girl Dating Sim Katawa Shoujo Finally Available

Baller195

Mar 18, 2011
I myself Didn't like the idea itself at the start and I have never been into the genre ...

However, out of curiosty I did end up downloading it (since it is free and everything) and to be honest, I loved it! I was absobed into the story from the start and I loved how each character had their own backstories and mysteries that you can investigate and help them with!

Definitely deserves another playthrough!

(^ My first post in the Escapist forums ^_^)

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
Is it just me or is that Lelouch VI Britannia sitting in the middle of class... I swear that looks exactly like him.

Oh yeah and il check this out eventually.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Baller195 said:
I myself Didn't like the idea itself at the start and I have never been into the genre ...

However, out of curiosty I did end up downloading it (since it is free and everything) and to be honest, I loved it! I was absobed into the story from the start and I loved how each character had their own backstories and mysteries that you can investigate and help them with!

Welcome to the Escapist! My only advice is you stay out of the basement.

Also, talk about a memorable first post- posting on a thread about a disabled girl dating sim. :D

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
BlackSaint09 said:
Is it just me or is that Lelouch VI Britannia sitting in the middle of class... I swear that looks exactly like him.

It is, but they cut it out of the full release probably because it was way too obvious

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Hmm, I'm intrigued...

But at the same time I have to ask why the escapist has become increasingly ok with content like this making the news... I mean that editorial was one thing, but this isn't an editorial...

Baller195

Mar 18, 2011
Duruznik said:
Baller195 said:

Also, talk about a memorable first post- posting on a thread about a disabled girl dating sim. :D
Haha, Thanks! I will keep that in mind xD

And no regrets! I didn't expect to ever like a dating-simulator, but this one proved me wrong! And it only felt right that I would let others know how good it is before judging like I did at the start :p

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Aiddon said:
BlackSaint09 said:

It is, but they cut it out of the full release probably because it was way too obvious
I think it's just kind of a fun joke they had going.
Riitsu from K-ON! is in there as well.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
VanQQisH said:
CarlMinez said:
I don?t have to play the bloody game to have the right to say that I think this is an awful way of handling a delicate issue, given its genre alone. And I?m pretty much that most experts and people within the disabled community would agree. Nor do I think that they?d be particularly impressed with a few gamers claiming that it actually has a, what did you call it, a romantic storyline?
You are aware, aren't you? That several experts and disabled folk had a helping hand in advising on this game? You seem pretty adamant for someone so poorly educated on the context.
You know, you could always try the game and actually form a valid opinion based on evidence you have seem yourself rather than on sheer speculation.
It's a very nice game, nothing groundbreaking but still very unique in it's premise and development. It's completely unique in those regards, so any self respecting gamer would consider it worth seeing with their very eyes.
And I'm sure the many experts and disabled people of the world can do without your pity. They are human too, is it really that bad that someone in the real world would fall in love with and enter an intimate relationship with a blind girl? Or a burns victim? Wouldn't that be a heartwarming thing to see? To know there are those out there who are willing to look past such things? Or should we forever ostracize anyone with a disability and refuse them any form of human contact? Why should it be any different in a game? I'd have to say, your opinion on the matter is a little... disgusting in my opinion.

I'm not sure if you're too eager to jump into another debate to actually read the comments you're replying to or what's going on because I'm not sure what you?re trying to prove.

I'm not claiming to be anything else than "adamant" nor to be "educated on the context", whatever the heck that supposed to mean. I made it clear that my original comment was not some sort of valid opinion given evidence or an invitation to a debate for that matter, it was a personal opinion given what I knew at the same. And the only reason I've been replying to this horde of nasty retorts I've gotten is to clarify just that.

But to be honest, I can't say that the arguments I've been presented with so far have done much to change my opinion. I still don't see a dating simulator featuring the choice to date and fuck disabled characters rather than just "normal" kids as the statement of equality that most people on this thread is praising it of being.

And even if it was then fuck what a sad world don't we live in?

Now I don't care if this game features more text than the lord of the rings trilogy or the longest digestion period ever. It sure as hell not going to convince me to give it a chance. Now you seem rather convinced that this game, if anything, is going to help the disabled community and I find that hard to believe, but If I have to play the game to prove you wrong then it's not worth it.

Barrage256

Jan 8, 2012
As you can tell by my post count I don't visit Escapist often, but after playing this game I eventually got led to this thread. As a frequent /v/ goer I've become interested in this VN after what seemed to be an explosion of popularity on the board. After playing it I come to /v/ to see other's reactions. Eventually I stumble upon this image, I think it speaks for itself on how touching the game really is.

http://i.imgur.com/fyIS8.jpg

Stephen Wo

Mar 16, 2011
I think the issue is what has been said multiple times already. Despite the fact that they've made a game exclusively featuring handicapped persons, it's still a form of discrimination. The better (as far as I believe) route would be to instead include a handicapped person or persons in a regular dating sims.

I have not played it, but I'm downloading it as we speak. I may edit my comment later.

Selef

Nov 13, 2009
VanQQisH said:
Aiddon said:
I know this is going to sound weird, but I've always found scarred women to be a fascinating aesthetic design. Not in a fetishistic way, GOD NO, but just...intriguing, and I don't know why.

Also, if I remember right it's impossible to get either Unlimited Blade Works (my favorite of the routes) or Heaven's Feel the first time around.
I've heard weirder things, trust me. I know people who find Balalaika from Black Lagoon utterly irresistible so it's hardly an alien concept.

Duruznik said:
Huh. I've never really been into visual novels, but so far it's rather interesting. The art amazes me most. The backgrounds are all DRAWN! It took me some time to realise they weren't photos. They're so realistic it's mind-boggling.

So far, so good.
Are they really? I thought they were photographs with a filter over the top of them. I'm impressed. What impressed me more than that though were the animated cut scenes. They are masterfully done and the music to each fits perfectly.
Especially the piano piece in Hanako's cut scene. I wonder if there is a soundtrack for the game available for download. I will have to look into this.
That is because the animated scenes were done by Mike Inel, he is an amazing animator, i highly suggest you go look at his deviantart page if you like the in game animated scenes,

SpartanBlackman

Apr 1, 2011
I can safely say that this game is pretty tasteful.
It doesn't have many explicit scenes, and the whole disabled subject is handled very well. Girls aren't defined by their disabilities, neither are they just "Normal girls who have no legs". Each of them has a rich and vibrant personality.
For example, Shizune is a strict member of the student council, who gives it her all in practically everything she does. She gives off a serious atmosphere, but is actually pretty immature. She's very smart, completing her work for the MC and her best friend pretty much every time they are in a group. She's excellent at Risk and Chess. She has a rivalry with Lily, whom she hates due to Lily's refusal to put all her effort into anything. As the leader of the Student council, she took on more and more things to try and get more responsibility and give the students a greater voice. This ended up driving away most of the Student council. She loves stuffed animals.

Now guess which girl that is. Most of you can't, because the whole thing is handled tastefully. But the disabilities do play a part in the story, for example, Shizune is deaf, and the first part of the story revolves around the Main Character trying to learn sign language in order to be closer to her. She also has very little friends, because so few people understand her.

I do think this is an amazing game, and it really proves a point how most people say the game is "Sick and twisted" despite having a premises that should be perfectly fine in an equal society.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
CarlMinez said:
I'm not sure if you're too eager to jump into another debate to actually read the comments you're replying to or what's going on because I'm not sure what you?re trying to prove.

I'm not claiming to be anything else than "adamant" nor to be "educated on the context", whatever the heck that supposed to mean. I made it clear that my original comment was not some sort of valid opinion given evidence or an invitation to a debate for that matter, it was a personal opinion given what I knew at the same. And the only reason I've been replying to this horde of nasty retorts I've gotten is to clarify just that.

But to be honest, I can't say that the arguments I've been presented with so far have done much to change my opinion. I still don't see a dating simulator featuring the choice to date and fuck disabled characters rather than just "normal" kids as the statement of equality that most people on this thread is praising it of being.

And even if it was then fuck what a sad world don't we live in?

Now I don't care if this game features more text than the lord of the rings trilogy or the longest digestion period ever. It sure as hell not going to convince me to give it a chance. Now you seem rather convinced that this game, if anything, is going to help the disabled community and I find that hard to believe, but If I have to play the game to prove you wrong then it's not worth it.
But it's not a dating simulator. It is a visual novel with a linear progression of story, no different from any other novel except it has pictures, music and you are able to guide the story to a limited extent with a set of choices provided at key points in the plot. You seem to be of the opinion that sex is some kind of goal in this game, and that is flat out wrong. The FACT of the matter is that this game centers on the characters and their growth as young adults learning to cope with each other and their own limitations. Even the (rather short) sex scenes spend seventy five percent of their time focusing on the emotions occurring rather than the actual fucking. "You" aren't even the one doing the fucking. The main character (Hisao) is. If this was a dating simulator, you'd be able to input your own name and... well, simulate dating. There is no difference between this and a romantic movie or novel that features a sex scene in it.

I know you aren't going to give this game a shot. That's okay, Visual Novels are not for everyone. But please stop labeling it as something it isn't. That's not an opinion, that's an false statement.

I'm not saying that this will benefit the disabled or harm them. I'm just correcting some false assumptions you seem to have made. Because after all, it must be impossible to include sex in a story or game and have it be handled tastefully, maturely and with respect to the subject matter at hand, right?

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Now having played down every path, with good, and both bad endings for each but one girl. Got it right the first time, and didn't have the heart to make anything go badly with her..

I can honestly said this is some of the best writing I have seen in a game. Not only in script, each scene, every second of music, and the character art itself is just filed down to something near resembling perfection.

This might be the fangirl in me of dating sims/visual novels, but this is without a doubt the best visual novel(I refuse to call it a dating sim, as once chapter one is over, the girl is already decided, so there isn't much "dating" to be had in the usual term) I have ever played. I love it, and everybody in it to death.

Thank you four leaf studios.

/fangirl rant over

Actually no. I forgot: The sex.

This might be one thing that bothered me most having read over the forum, mentions of sexplotation and fetishes, this is not true. Not one bit. I can't really say much about sexplotation except that no, it isn't true.

As far as fetish on the disabled goes.. If you find have it, you will think about that, fair enough. But not once, not for a single second of the story is this novel in any way catered to those fetishes, the disabilities are there, sure.

And for atleast one of the characters the physical disability is a core story element. But never once is it brought up as flavor for the sex scenes, or as catering to the fetishistic.

Again, thank you four leaf studios. For making this novel. For making me cry and squee with happiness.

Alright. End rant.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I want to thank the Escapist for introducing me to this VN. It's the first VN I've ever read through, and it was very powerful.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever been more emotionally invested in anything from any other kind of media, and I've read a lot of books and played a lot of games.

As others have stated, I was skeptical about this when I read the title of the article. After reading through it, since it's free and all, I immediately retracted all previous skepticism.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Baller195 said:
Duruznik said:
Baller195 said:

Haha, Thanks! I will keep that in mind xD

And no regrets! I didn't expect to ever like a dating-simulator, but this one proved me wrong! And it only felt right that I would let others know how good it is before judging like I did at the start :p
I know the feel, heh. I'm 5 hours in, and really getting into it. It's weird, because I always kinda looked down on this whole genre. It's like becoming a Brony all over again.

The wriing so far is pretty solid, and the characters likeable. I like how they're essentially treating the disabled folks just like any other characters, instead of falling into the cliche tropes of either makng them pitiful sacks of misery or super-human overcompensators.

Irradiated Tiger

Feb 8, 2010
Just finished my first route (Hanako) and let me just say that anyone who thinks that this is a fetishtic game is sorely mistaken. I genuinely enjoyed the interactions with the girl and the troubles that the main character and her had to face. The good ending was brilliantly well done and tugged at my heartstrings in all manners that heartstings could be tugged. Frankly I don't think I have the heart to go for Hanako's bad ending because I love the character so much. However I am mentally exhausted after being put on an emotional roller coaster and I'm going to need a break before the next route (Lilly). I'm happy that I picked this up as my first VN.

/end 2cents