Disabled Girl Dating Sim Katawa Shoujo Finally Available

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
That was remarkable. Honestly, I'm amazed how well it was handled. While the playable character has the understanding and ability to piece events and dialogue together as one might find possessed by the common mallard duck, the girls are brimming with character. The outcome I played had a swath of emotion, there were poignant moments, and it actually felt sincere. This was amazing. I did Emi's storyline, and fully intend to do the others in the next few days. That was really an unparalleled experience.

I eagerly await the stories for the other girls.

Toothache of Sauron

Jan 4, 2010
I should add in my profile to show under the avatar my posts are mostly in mode jumpin-jumpout, meaning that I will very likely forget I posted making it likely I will not be checking back to answer.

I'll try just drop a small line expressed in a certain way, to condense a few thoughts, it's not an answer to anybody, just some words on the subject of game like this and being offended (as pre-reaction or to anything that includes disabled people as a principle):

In this world of filling mouth with acceptance of the disabled we don't want to be made to think about doing anything normal with anyone disabled!. Get the disabled out of my games, out of my phrases, out of my dictionary, out of my jokes, out of my work, out of my school, out of my marriage, out of my life!.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
Akimoto said:
mega48man said:
and Lilly, WOOOOOO...yeaaah
Internet bro-fist!

BlackWidower said:
Funnily enough I ended up on the path with the legless girl first, and I really don't like her. Seriously, she's a pain in the ass!
Wait till you get Tezuka's path. At least Ibarazaki is cheerful - caffine-fake-high cheerful, but still better than her painting friend. I had to play through Hanako and Lily's route a few times to get over the mind-f**k.
internet bro-fist recieved!

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Im computer illiterate, and I need a little help to play this game. I believe I need a torrent program to open the game's files. Where can I get such a program w/o having to download tool bars and other unnecessary shit?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
luckycharms8282 said:
Im computer illiterate, and I need a little help to play this game. I believe I need a torrent program to open the game's files. Where can I get such a program w/o having to download tool bars and other unnecessary shit?
I had the same problem. My internet was all "You seem to be lacking the program! Would you like to check the internet for an appropriate program?" and I clicked yes, which is odd because I never do that. So I clicked and it said I needed a torrent. I quickly googled that and came across a site named Bit Torrent or something or another. I downloaded the program and stuff. The next time my computer asked me to open Katawa Shoujo exe, I was able to do it properly (I forgot if I looked for the program myself when the "Choose your program" thing popped up or if my computer just recognized I had installed something and it could now read the file).

Once I did that, the installation was quite easy. I'm also not very saavy with computers but KS's installation is pretty straightforward.

PS: For the love of Jeebus, I swear I have no idea if that torrent site is illegal or frowned upon or what. I am not advocating or encouraging people to do stuff with it (I see it as some sort of Megaupload?), but that is just what *I* did. Just. Sayin'. And making sure. Just in case.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Having given it a shot (for about an hour, good god so much text, I haven't played one of these things since I was a 13 year old trying desperately to find pronz on the net without compromising my internet history), I have to say the writing actually really surprised me. For one thing, it speaks true of real children that have to go through this sort of trauma. Having myself been a sickly child and having a sister who had a 2 year extended hospital stay, the LONELINESS is something they absolutely nailed. Physical abnormalities don't hold a candle to the pain of being alone for so long. Something tells me the main character has a pretty interesting arc going for him throughout the course of the game and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to play more.

While I don't care for the photoshop filter backgrounds, I have to say I kind of like that the character designs neither hide nor show off a student's deformities/disabilities (the best example probably being that burn victim who's disfigurement is obvious but masked in a believable manner). So trying to say this game is specifically catering to perverts who get off on bloody stumps is clearly a wrong assumption. While I do hate the term "handicapable" I do think it's wrong to hide a disability as though it's something shameful or embarrassing.

I have a bit more faith that this game is about actually growing to like/love these characters for who they are rather than just getting some action with a hot blind girl and using her walking stick as a makeshift dildo. Because seriously, that would be fucking weird.

On an unrelated note.... what's anime Harry Potter doing in this game?

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Interesting game. Im about an hour in, and Im rather impressed. I wish there were more choices to make, but each character is different. It reminds me a lot of moving to a different school in late middle school.

People should play it before they write it off as a handicap fetish dating sim.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
You know, if they wouldn't solely focus on the romancing, but also the casual "friend talk", this could really have potential.

Maybe add some RPG elements, instead of simply going for an "interactive novel"?

Maybe connect the RPG aspects with the social interaction?

(Does anyone get where I'm going with this?)
You're saying we should add light sabers? Risky, very risky.

But on a less oblivious note, I agree with you. I'd also like more extensive dialogue trees. Let's expand on this.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
So it's a little weird to have a dating sim based around disabled girls. Big deal. I think it's actually kind of sweet. Even paraplegics need love, right?

Besides, there are worse VNs out there...

Much... much worse...

Stale Pasta

Feb 26, 2011
This actually sounds like a cool idea for a dating sim. If you go to the website for it you can read up on all the characters and see a picture of them. Well for some reason the girl with no legs is standing in her picture XD

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Stale Pasta said:
This actually sounds like a cool idea for a dating sim. If you go to the website for it you can read up on all the characters and see a picture of them. Well for some reason the girl with no legs is standing in her picture XD
She wears prosthetic legs. >_>

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
It seems a bit dorky to put it in a school completely for the disabled, and not have any non-disabled characters to romance, but from what I've read about this now and before, it seems very tasteful and realistic, IE having to take sign language courses to really get anywhere with the deaf girl. I almost hope some of those with the "bandage babe" fetish find this, and see what it would really be like to romance the disabled

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Chanel Tompkins said:
It seems a bit dorky to put it in a school completely for the disabled, and not have any non-disabled characters to romance, but from what I've read about this now and before, it seems very tasteful and realistic, IE having to take sign language courses to really get anywhere with the deaf girl. I almost hope some of those with the "bandage babe" fetish find this, and see what it would really be like to romance the disabled
Well, the way I see it, if they put a non-disabled girl, THEN the game might be a bit discriminating. I can see people going for the "normal" girl and other people being all "Oh, figures everyone is going to go for the normal girl". And in comparison, the other girls will seem incomplete, no pun intended, compared to the perfectly normal girl.

The point of having to choose one out of all the disabled girls in the game is for the player to realize they're all the same and yet different. That's why the game is so well done and handles this so tastefully: All girls are the same and because of this, you get a chance to get to know the girl without minding her disability, which is rarely brought up.

Or so that's the way I see it.

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
Beautiful End said:
Chanel Tompkins said:
Well, the way I see it, if they put a non-disabled girl, THEN the game might be a bit discriminating. I can see people going for the "normal" girl and other people being all "Oh, figures everyone is going to go for the normal girl". And in comparison, the other girls will seem incomplete, no pun intended, compared to the perfectly normal girl.

The point of having to choose one out of all the disabled girls in the game is for the player to realize they're all the same and yet different. That's why the game is so well done and handles this so tastefully: All girls are the same and because of this, you get a chance to get to know the girl without minding her disability, which is rarely brought up.

Or so that's the way I see it.
I guess so...it just seems kinda forced, is all. Then again, I guess pretty much any game like that has a forced reason for why you're only dating those girls, so meh.

DR123

Jan 9, 2012
TitanAura said:
Having given it a shot (for about an hour, good god so much text, I haven't played one of these things since I was a 13 year old trying desperately to find pronz on the net without compromising my internet history), I have to say the writing actually really surprised me. For one thing, it speaks true of real children that have to go through this sort of trauma. Having myself been a sickly child and having a sister who had a 2 year extended hospital stay, the LONELINESS is something they absolutely nailed. Physical abnormalities don't hold a candle to the pain of being alone for so long. Something tells me the main character has a pretty interesting arc going for him throughout the course of the game and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to play more.
Agree completely. Having spent way too much time in a hospital to the point where friends just moved on...oddly enough, in high school right before what would have been my senior year... the loneliness was much worse than any of the physical pain and leftover scars. It easily can change someone inside forever. Loneliness and abandonment can turn a otherwise cheerful happy kid into a quiet, distrustful, very misunderstood person.

Definitely keep playing! The two routes I've done so far were very tastefully done, and amazingly well written. Hope you end up doing Rin's route eventually...

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
We'll, I has hoping that I'd find some nice juicy arguments in this thread... A challenging debate between people, a troll being pummeled....
Sadly, everyone is far to reasonable and understanding. :p
(my inner demon will have to feed another day).

OT: Great game, well done, ver much like MLP:FIM in that at first you go "What?" and then you go "OMG this is gooood!".

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
I'm just curious: where did Rin being identified as the "thalidomide girl" come from? I haven't found anything on the 4LeafStudio site promoting the game, the wiki or anywhere in the game itself that suggests thalidomide had anything to do with the incomplete formation of her arms.

That said, I really have enjoyed it so far. As has been said earlier, the characters all having some sort of physical/emotional impediment is written as a part of their characters, more than as a selling or shock point. The adult content doesn't detract at all from the rest of the game and seems to be well thought out for the most part, placing a lot of distance between my viewing it as a visual novel as opposed to an eroge (although Rin's story matches her character a bit too well at times).

I'll definitely be looking for something similar as soon as I finish it, which will unfortunately be quite soon. Any recommendations for games of a similar pacing and technical quality would be greatly appreciated.