Disabled Girl Dating Sim Katawa Shoujo Finally Available

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Disabled people have just as much right to be sexually objectified as everybody else. I don't even know what the problem is.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
I don't think anyone did, but if someone followed the Lazlow Show, does anyone remember Big Wayne's baby arm story? Seems suitable for right now.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I see no problem with it. Ive never been a fan of J-Dating sims. Or dating sims as a whole. They cant keep my attention for more then 10 or 15 minutes.

As long as its not just blatant sexual fetishism, theres nothing wrong with this game. Disabled people are human, and you/them have the right to date whoever you want. Disabled or not.

TL:DR, This is morally grey, and as such, should not subject to the opinions of people who have not tried the game, weather they like the premise or not.

Why does that make me come off as an arsehole? >.>;

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
As a longtime /a/non, I was very happy to wait alongside everyone else for release at 12:22AM today. I've played many visual novels and eroge (both translated and untranslated) and Katawa Shoujo is a welcome release despite it's place as a non-Japanese creation.

ResonanceSD said:
Dear Japan. Props on including people with disabilities in games.

But seriously. What. The Hell?
Did you read the article? Japan did not make this game.

Fawxy said:
Only thing that really bothers me is that the game features exclusively handicapped girls, with a handicapped protagonist.

In a game like this (a dating sim), why not have handicapped individuals romanceable along-side the "big-breasted blonde cliches"? Are people under the impression that handicapped people are a different species than those who aren't?
The entire idea spawned from a sketch of five disabled girls, that's what spawned such interest in the first place. There's nothing wrong with that.

Fawxy said:
Are people under the impression that handicapped people are a different species than those who aren't?
This issue is handled in the game, and if unless you're disabled there's no way you can understand lack of limbs, sight, or hearing. It's a whole different world.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Colinmac93 said:
Edit: Actually, I wanna know why all of the physically disabled people are all in the one class. I bet there's some strange reason for that in the game.
Maybe it's a class specifically for disabled people. Makes sense to me.

RedMage

Dec 25, 2011
There's likely going to be a lot of controversy over something like this. People will say that it's dumb and others will say they're being discriminatory. Frankly, it has been said before that the only way to eliminate discrimination is to ignore it. As in, include minorities but don't draw attention to them being minorities.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Nouw said:
Colinmac93 said:
Edit: Actually, I wanna know why all of the physically disabled people are all in the one class. I bet there's some strange reason for that in the game.
"Katawa Shoujo is a visual novel set in the fictional Yamaku High School for disabled children"

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
How about actually playing the game before criticizing? I played the ACT 1 teaser when it came out back in the day, and my God, was it well handled and tasteful. Also: Disabled people aren't allowed to love? We aren't supposed to like disabled characters?

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I have not played the game (YET) but from what I have heard and read from people that have, it is apparently handled in a mature and/or respectful way. Personally I do not think that this is such a offensive or negative situation to show in a videogame. Portraying characters with disabilities is merely telling a story about love between characters that most people would not normally think about unless they are actually presented with the obvious scenario (Hence this game).

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Anyone notice Lelouch from Code Geass in the middle of the screenshot..?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Lovely Mixture said:
Nouw said:
Colinmac93 said:
"Katawa Shoujo is a visual novel set in the fictional Yamaku High School for disabled children"
And that makes even more sense. Thanks Lovely, I should really read the OP more thoroughly :p.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
I don't see the short-armed girl in the screenshot.
The red-head in the right hand upper corner is her.

Fappy said:
If they aren't blatantly exploiting handicapped people (or fetishes for that matter) I don't see a problem with this.
They aren't. It's handled well and maturely. Well as maturely as high school dating sims can get. Maybe a little bit more mature than that.

ResonanceSD said:
Dear Japan. Props on including people with disabilities in games.

But seriously. What. The Hell?
Four Leaf Studios is a volunteer group of twenty-one developers from around the world, having come together for the sole purpose of developing Katawa Shoujo. Hailing from many different countries, backgrounds, and professions, Four Leaf Studios became committed to working towards Katawa Shoujo as an entirely free game, with no money involved in the project.
Can't chalk this one up to Japan alone bro.

OT: I think anyone interested in my opinion can clearly see what it is with what I have written here above. But I don't understand all the "disgust" or whatever you might call it around Katawa Shoujo since it's a good VN. And the people that are perplexed by it are just making assumptions without even reading the full article. At least read the entire article before judging something, but preferably play it to get the full hands-on experience before you judge it honestly.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I, personally, believe that when it comes to fiction people have the right to produce any kinf of content as well as having the right to criticize it by saying: "It is good." or "It is crap.".

Many kudos to Four Leaf studios. From the main post and the players posts in this forum it seems to be not only a well done but a beautifull game. They could have done a cheap, sinister thrill counting on outrage publicity and weird fetishists. Instead they seem to have made a great story of love and sex (why not, it is good) to a community who is normally ignored, pitied or reviled (I can't say what is worst).

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Interesting. Just downloaded it, because I'm quite curious. Those girls are cute, I just want to hug them.

As for the issue of controversy: of course there exist fetishists who get a thrill out of it, but the same thing happens in real life, and people can get off on relatively innocuous things. It seems as if this is something with good intentions, and that isn't undermined because it happens to be a fetish for someone, somewhere.

Also, certainly good to see a quality VN - and indeed animation, produced outside Japan. I think there should be a lot more of that, not as a bastardised pseudo-anime, but similar animation production values based more on Western culture + interpretations.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Initial Reaction: "BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *Takes in deep breath* BAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

Reaction upon reading full article: "Oh, that's acutally kinda interesting. Certainly a way to add interest and intrigue to a genre of game that would seem a bit stale at this point."

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Korten12 said:
Anyone notice Lelouch from Code Geass in the middle of the screenshot..?
Lol, yes! That was the most exciting thing about this for me to be honest.

Wait, heart condition... is the main character... Rolo?

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I remember seeing it's article on TVTropesa long while back. In fact, I remember the Developement Hell trope was right there.

Good to see it got finished I guess.