Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I skipped My Neighbors the Yamadas, because I don't know what it is. Is it actually any good? Because it's drawn like a child's doodle and I come to Ghibli for beautiful animation.
It's based on a comic strip and the art style is meant to imitate it. Basically it's slice of life presented in sitcom vignettes and with no overarching plot, but it's one of the funniest Ghibli movies I've seen. Some of the sketches reach a few poignant notes here and there.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Continuing my journey through the filmography of Studio Ghibli, in alphabetical order now that I've watched everything I've heard about.

Laputa The Castle in the Sky and Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro were both good I don't have too much to say about them. I liked Castle in the Sky more than Lupin which was a bit silly and paradoxically more mundane.

I skipped My Neighbors the Yamadas, because I don't know what it is. Is it actually any good? Because it's drawn like a child's doodle and I come to Ghibli for beautiful animation.

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind. I was really blown away by this one. Instantly my favorite Ghibli Film. Just incredible on every front. A wonderfully imaginative world, both beautiful and hostile, full of interesting politics, biological horrors. The characters weren't too deep, but were endearing nonetheless. I was really impressed by the protagonist Nausicaä, a fantastic strong female protagonist and from 1984 even! The entire movie was a rollercoaster of reveals, suspense, and intrigue all leading to a satisfying climax. Just a fantastic movie all around.
It's based on a comic strip and the art style is meant to imitate it. Basically it's slice of life presented in sitcom vignettes and with no overarching plot, but it's one of the funniest Ghibli movies I've seen. Some of the sketches reach a few poignant notes here and there.
If he hasn't watched Grave of the Fireflies, maybe can save Yamada's for after that. You know. To cleanse the soul.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ok, I'll give it a watch then.
If he hasn't watched Grave of the Fireflies, maybe can save Yamada's for after that. You know. To cleanse the soul.
Fortunately I've already watched GotF and never have to sit through it again.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
No Sudden Move

Steven Soderbergh's latest. Hell of a cast as usual and good camerawork but the script is pretty weak and doesn't have a lot of drive from one scene to the next. The strength of the movie boils down to ensemble posturing (holy bejesus, there's a Mexican standoff between Don Cheadle, Benicio del Toro, Brendan Fraser and Ray Liotta!), breather scenes where we get to learn a little bit more about the characters and moody noir twists and turns. I just don't feel it builds up to something larger or particularly meaningful, and wiish the movie would've been consistently as fun as its best moments.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And even then, Assault On Precinct 13 is effectively a remake of a famous Western, although I forget which one as I'm not well up on Westerns. High Noon, Rio Bravo, something like that.
It's Rio Bravo combined with Night of the Living Dead.

I find a lot of his movies like In The Mouth Of Madness, They Live, Big Trouble In Little China, Prince of Darkness etc. frustrating because there's something good and interesting about them (and I broadly more enjoyed them than not), but somehow they all ultimately go wrong in ways that leave them slightly disappointing.
I disagree big time. Nothing goes wrong for none of them to me. They all ended perfectly or have endings that fit for the theme they're going for. I agree with you on Vampires and Ghost of Mars. The latter I don't hate that much, but the film just sits in my movie collection not doing much. Even I bust out Escape from LA and Vampires once in a while to goof on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Hunt (2020)

Some kind of satire about the left/right divide in America that launches off The Most Dangerous Games (an elite cabal hunts people for sport). Weirdly it's the "liberal elite" doing the hunting (they constantly apologize to each other for perceived offenses) while the victims - Southerners and Middle Americans - are repeatedly dismissed as "rednecks", "hicks" etc. The twist being that the victims turn out to have hideous backgrounds as members of hate groups and such, with the common denominator that they'd all previously cost the jobs of the people now hunting them because - follow the gymnastics here - they called them out on hunting people, which wasn't true, but then the elite made it true as revenge. I guess the joke is on both sides by the end. The writing made me think of what a stupid person would consider satire. Par for the course for Damon "I wrote Lost, Prometheus, World War Z and Abrams Trek" Lindelof.

Betty Gilpin is great as the lead by the way. Character's a flatline but she makes the most of it and carries the movie effortlessly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Hunt (2020)

Some kind of satire about the left/right divide in America that launches off The Most Dangerous Games (an elite cabal hunts people for sport). Weirdly it's the "liberal elite" doing the hunting (they constantly apologize to each other for perceived offenses) while the victims - Southerners and Middle Americans - are repeatedly dismissed as "rednecks", "hicks" etc. The twist being that the victims turn out to have hideous backgrounds as members of hate groups and such, with the common denominator that they'd all previously cost the jobs of the people now hunting them because - follow the gymnastics here - they called them out on hunting people, which wasn't true, but then the elite made it true as revenge. I guess the joke is on both sides by the end. The writing made me think of what a stupid person would consider satire. Par for the course for Damon "I wrote Lost, Prometheus, World War Z and Abrams Trek" Lindelof.

Betty Gilpin is great as the lead by the way. Character's a flatline but she makes the most of it and carries the movie effortlessly.
I feel this movie is a weaker version of The Purge movies. Pretty average movie and one I'm not going back to watch again. Also, you can't outdo the Van Dammage that is Hard Target. The best "The Most Dangerous Game" genre of movie ever made.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How the hell was he never called that when he was big? That’s……that’s a
They did use the nick name once for the trailer of Double Impact.

…….take that to the hot takes thread because Predator 1 and 2 say hi
I meant in terms of non-sci-fi action films. I agree with you, but I should have been more specific.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Watched Suicide Squad last night, it was good enough that I started watching it again this morning.

I think this one will be sort of polarizing for critics, but I think most non-discerning comicbook and superheroes movie fans will love it. The movie isn't told in a straight forward tempo its told through a series of vignettes, not quite like angs lee hulk, but still theres essentially a cut and intro style to it. "Meanwhile" then "Operation X" and so on. I think that'll annoy a lot of critics. Gunn instead leans into just trying to make each scene as fun or badass possible. Imagine what the Suicide Squad (2016) "wanted" to be, instead of hurkie jerkie scenes with weird cuts and jarringly terrible music intros.

The characters and acting are all great. Its pretty faithful to the comics, ie don't get attached to anybody. Ratcatcher 2 and "sebastian" steal every scene they are in with RC2 being the most adorable crazy homeless person covered in rats imaginable.

For me its one of those films that doesn't blow my mind like "wow that was perfect" ala dark knight, but it's filled with so many scenes that are independently funny or awesome, thats just imminently rewatchable. Its not one of those films youd skip through to watch the big climax, the whole things is solid throughout.

Fair warning, if MRs Harley Quinn annoys you, she still has what critics are calling her own movie, inside the movie. This is easily the best version so far, but I still don't find her dialog as clever as either the original or the new harley quinn animated version. she's still a little too dopey. She has a masters in psychology, for some reason the movie writers want us to forget that.

On a side note, I wished they had given this a sub-title like Suicide Squad: Project Starfish or something because they will keep making more of these and if each one is a different team with a different mission they should just name them the mission name.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Entertaining scene, but nothing can match the over the top action that is Hard Target. In terms of human hunting humans concept.
I was being facetious; The Pest is an overall horrible movie, but that scene, when he's reading in "German," gets me every time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Mortal Kombat (2021)

I'll be nice. This was the fastest 2 hours I've spent watching anything in a while. The action was uneven but generally pretty cool, Kano's a riot and what little we had of Sub-Zero and Scorpion was great. Lots of very corny nods to the games, which was kinda cute.

Story's stupid and nonsensical, paced horribly and conveniently plotted around exposition dumps and holes like somebody just pulled a fatality on the script. The protagonist is an OC ala Resident Evil but somehow even less compelling: sucks as a fighter, doesn't know what's going on half the time, isn't particularly motivated and is precariously dumb (he leaves his family because he's putting them in danger and then returns to them because what, he forgot?). I'd say the rest of the cast doesn't fare much better. Sonya's actress in particular seemed at the level of a high school play.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Fury

Or, Brad Pitt drives a Sherman tank around Germany in 1945 and gets to see on screen the one remaining genuine Tiger Tank in a battle and kill it. And also train some new meat.

It’s a solid character piece with good effects and that really effective grime slathered look we can do so well now. Suits the time and place at least. If WW2 action dramas are your bread and jam (and assuming you somehow didn’t hear about it at release) then give it a look.

Reactions: MrCalavera

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Suicide Squad: The Re-Suiciding.

It wasn't very good IMO. Very few of the jokes landed for me, though a few did hit with genuine laughs. Mostly though, it was just a series of scenes, where stuff happened, and very silly characters, were made to point out how silly they actually are.

And while I like Margo Robbie, and think she is a very good actor, I just do NOT like the glorification of Harley Quinn's insanity as some kind of sexy superpower. I admit, having grown up with someone who is criminally insane, makes it really hard to enjoy the "humor" of "I'm delusional and see wonderful happy things, all the while I'm doing terrible, violent things" It's not funny, it's not cool, she's not a role model, or character to look up to. She's a fucking homicidal lunatic, end of story.

It was WAY too long too. I got to one point, and felt we were very clearly moving to the climax of the film, and my friend just happened to pause the movie, and I noticed we had 40 fucking minutes left. I genuinely felt my heart sink at that realization.

I don't really know why it didn't land for me, as James Gunn is VERY good at writing funny stories in the comic verse, that are equally touching and heartfelt. But...yeah this just didn't do it. I guess maybe because they were also trying to be edgy, since these are bad guys? *shrugs* John Cena, and the guy from Altered Carbon, who played Flag, were really enjoyable. Flag balanced funny and serious very well, and Cena was just having a blast being a completely ridiculous buffoon, up until the end where things got serious. I think he should do more comedy stuff, he was quite fun to watch.

Overall, a very mediocre meh for me. 5/10, maybe 5.5. It was serviceable, but, for a comedy, I didn't laugh enough to feel like it was a win, and the action didn't make up for it, nor did the drama.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The Suicide Squad

Followup to the atrocious original Suicide Squad from 2016, directed by James Gunn, rather than talentless producer of copaganda David Ayer. The history here is slightly interesting, Gunn directed Suicide Squad after Disney took him off the Guardians of the Galaxy series, allegedly for some bad taste jokes he made, ten years ago, on his twitter account, in reality though, and very obviously for anyone paying attention, for his critical comments on the Trump Administration. In an interesting parallel with the Justice League's history, it was only by the outspoken public support of audiences and felow artists that Disney eventually agreed to take him back, serving, if nothing else, as a clear example art, especially art that relies on the funding of large, faceless corporations, now, more than ever, requires the people to publically stand up against the studio system financing it and voice their support for the actual artists producing it.

Anyways, in the meantime, Gunn made The Suicide Squad, for Warner Brothers and you know what? It 's pretty alright. There are probably some parallels to be drawn between Snyder's Justice League and Gunn's Suicide Squad in that they both use the tried and true premise of a straight forward superhero team up movie for the respective directors to indulge in their personal stylistic and thematic obsessions. And if nothing else, Gunn's personality and his background in exploitation movies comes through in Suicide Squad in ways it didn't, for example, in Guardians of the Galaxy. TSS has fun gore, a mean sense of humour and an embrace of the campier, pulpier side of comic book aesthethics. Again, in a lot of ways Gunn is gunning (I'm sorry...) for something very similar to Snyder's Justice League, the difference is that where Snyder tries to elevate this kind of story by transcending its lowbrow roots, Gunn embraces them and does his best to polish them until they're worthy of a two and a half hour high budget epic. So, here's the story:

Once again the Suicide Squad, a team of b-list supervillains, is conscripted to do wetwork for the American government, in this case overthrowing the dictator of Latin American island state Corto Maltese who, after a recent coup, does not only rule the small nation but might also be in control of a secret mad science experiment America wants to preferably get under control, but at the very least cover up. The movie starts off with what's actually a rather fun bit, showing what we assume to be the main characters confronting the army of Corto Maltese only to be almost entirely massacred by them, switching perspective to the movies actual protagonists, sort of a B-Team consisting of a super mercenary, a super soldier, a lady who controls rats, a man who fires laser skittles and a shark man. Mind you, they are, in the end, all pretty likeable characters with chemistry good enough to hold an ensemble piece like this together. Which really is the movies big saving grace because the plot never really gets any more interesting than what I've described. You might consider this a spoiler, so feel free not to read it, but would you be surprised the government of Corto Maltese was keeping a big alien monster locked up in a research facility that the Suicide Squad ends up having to fight? I wasn't.

I think when I gave my opinion on Wonder Woman 1984 I said that it was the bare minimum of a superhero movie, just sorta going through the motions. The Suicide Squad is not like that, it has enough creativity and enough good characterization to make up for its generic narrative. But there still remains that nagging feeling that maybe they should have tried a bit harder. Aspects of it are just so lazy that all the self awareness in the world can't make up for it. Corto Maltese's dictator is an eye-rollingly outdated generalissimo-style caricature of Fidel Castro, cigar and all, backstories are conveyed through blunt exposition dumps, Harley Quinn is the only returning main character from the first movie and the Gunn doesn't seem to know what the hell to do with her. See, she's the only survivor of the original unit sent to the island and is, for the first half of the movie, starring in her own digressive b-plot about the dictator's right hand man trying to marry her (A bit that's fun as long as it lasts, if completely pointless), gets teamed up with the other main characters towards the end and continues to not contribute much of anything. If anything, the movie completes her transformation from tragic character driven to madness by an abusive relationship to Quirky Manic Pixie Dreamgirl Waifubait that Birds of Prey started. And by the way, boys, she's single now.

I suppose that's one of the main differences between Snyder and Gunn. Gunn has little shame to indulge in all the low brow nerd fetishes of tits, gore and guns that someone like Snyder considers to be beneath him. Mind you, I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, I prefer Gunn going balls out with his sleazier impules rather than trying to reign them in like he did for Guardians of the Galaxy. There is something like a recognizable directorial vision there. But TSS just doesn't really excel at what it's doing. It's too sentimental and not quite nasty enough to be genuinely transgressive. Gunn certainly brings a compelling visual identity to the material, if he got himself a good writer, I wouldn't mind him directing another one of those at some point. But as it is, it stands as a bunch of little vignettes of action and characterization that are pretty good, for the most part, but don't amount to anything really outstanding.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Suicide Squad

Followup to the atrocious original Suicide Squad from 2016, directed by James Gunn, rather than talentless producer of copaganda David Ayer. The history here is slightly interesting, Gunn directed Suicide Squad after Disney took him off the Guardians of the Galaxy series, allegedly for some bad taste jokes he made, ten years ago, on his twitter account, in reality though, and very obviously for anyone paying attention, for his critical comments on the Trump Administration. In an interesting parallel with the Justice League's history, it was only by the outspoken public support of audiences and felow artists that Disney eventually agreed to take him back, serving, if nothing else, as a clear example art, especially art that relies on the funding of large, faceless corporations, now, more than ever, requires the people to publically stand up against the studio system financing it and voice their support for the actual artists producing it.

Anyways, in the meantime, Gunn made The Suicide Squad, for Warner Brothers and you know what? It 's pretty alright. There are probably some parallels to be drawn between Snyder's Justice League and Gunn's Suicide Squad in that they both use the tried and true premise of a straight forward superhero team up movie for the respective directors to indulge in their personal stylistic and thematic obsessions. And if nothing else, Gunn's personality and his background in exploitation movies comes through in Suicide Squad in ways it didn't, for example, in Guardians of the Galaxy. TSS has fun gore, a mean sense of humour and an embrace of the campier, pulpier side of comic book aesthethics. Again, in a lot of ways Gunn is gunning (I'm sorry...) for something very similar to Snyder's Justice League, the difference is that where Snyder tries to elevate this kind of story by transcending its lowbrow roots, Gunn embraces them and does his best to polish them until they're worthy of a two and a half hour high budget epic. So, here's the story:

Once again the Suicide Squad, a team of b-list supervillains, is conscripted to do wetwork for the American government, in this case overthrowing the dictator of Latin American island state Corto Maltese who, after a recent coup, does not only rule the small nation but might also be in control of a secret mad science experiment America wants to preferably get under control, but at the very least cover up. The movie starts off with what's actually a rather fun bit, showing what we assume to be the main characters confronting the army of Corto Maltese only to be almost entirely massacred by them, switching perspective to the movies actual protagonists, sort of a B-Team consisting of a super mercenary, a super soldier, a lady who controls rats, a man who fires laser skittles and a shark man. Mind you, they are, in the end, all pretty likeable characters with chemistry good enough to hold an ensemble piece like this together. Which really is the movies big saving grace because the plot never really gets any more interesting than what I've described. You might consider this a spoiler, so feel free not to read it, but would you be surprised the government of Corto Maltese was keeping a big alien monster locked up in a research facility that the Suicide Squad ends up having to fight? I wasn't.

I think when I gave my opinion on Wonder Woman 1984 I said that it was the bare minimum of a superhero movie, just sorta going through the motions. The Suicide Squad is not like that, it has enough creativity and enough good characterization to make up for its generic narrative. But there still remains that nagging feeling that maybe they should have tried a bit harder. Aspects of it are just so lazy that all the self awareness in the world can't make up for it. Corto Maltese's dictator is an eye-rollingly outdated generalissimo-style caricature of Fidel Castro, cigar and all, backstories are conveyed through blunt exposition dumps, Harley Quinn is the only returning main character from the first movie and the Gunn doesn't seem to know what the hell to do with her. See, she's the only survivor of the original unit sent to the island and is, for the first half of the movie, starring in her own digressive b-plot about the dictator's right hand man trying to marry her (A bit that's fun as long as it lasts, if completely pointless), gets teamed up with the other main characters towards the end and continues to not contribute much of anything. If anything, the movie completes her transformation from tragic character driven to madness by an abusive relationship to Quirky Manic Pixie Dreamgirl that Birds of Prey started. And by the way, boys, she's single now.

I suppose that's one of the main differences between Snyder and Gunn. Gunn has little shame to indulge in all the low brow nerd fetishes of tits, gore and guns that someone like Snyder considers to be beneath him. Mind you, I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, I prefer Gunn going balls out with his sleazier impules rather than trying to reign them in like he did for Guardians of the Galaxy. There is something like a recognizable directorial vision there. But TSS just doesn't really excel at what it's doing. It's too sentimental and not quite nasty enough to be genuinely transgressive. Gunn certainly brings a compelling visual identity to the material, if he got himself a good writer, I wouldn't mind him directing another one of those at some point. But as it is, it stands as a bunch of little vignettes of action and characterization that are pretty good, for the most part, but don't amount to anything really outstanding.
The more I hear people talk about this movie, the more I'm convinced it would have been way better of Waller was literally just sending them into Corto Maltese to do regime change. Like that is something I would legitimately see as a perfect operation to leverage the likes of the Suicide Squad.

And given what I know about Starro the Conqueror, this movie has a similar issue to the first one in that the squad is punching so far above its weight that I'm kind impressed at the film's brazen audacity but similtaniously unimpressed by its expectation that I be impressed by its bullshit victory made only possible 'the script says so'.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I have to agree that Harley's glorification is getting a little out of hand. I actually enjoyed her cartoon series, right up until she gets Ivy to cheat on Kite Man with her. They spent two seasons on Ivy and Kite Man's relationship, only to throw all that out for Harley and Ivy to get together because iTs iN dEr kOmIcS. I guess Harley and Ivy get a pass for cheating since its Girl Power™!

I'm genuinely confused as to why she remains such a popular character. Does she really have the same appeal as Deadpool? Or am I underestimating the appeal of "attractive lady does rude and violent stuff"?

And given what I know about Starro the Conqueror, this movie has a similar issue to the first one in that the squad is punching so far above its weight that I'm kind impressed at the film's brazen audacity but similtaniously unimpressed by its expectation that I be impressed by its bullshit victory made only possible 'the script says so'.
Honestly, I don't think Starro is a particularly intimidating foe for the Squad. That said, the way it was beaten was cheap as hell and most of the team did essentially nothing the whole fight.

Reactions: Dalisclock