Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I suppose that's one of the main differences between Snyder and Gunn. Gunn has little shame to indulge in all the low brow nerd fetishes of tits, gore and guns that someone like Snyder considers to be beneath him.
He does? This is the guy made Watchmen sexy and violent for no real reason other than that's what he wants superheroes to be. I'd say the real difference (other than Gunn actually knowing how to write and direct) is that Snyder puts a dour artsy spin on his exploitation. And as of recently really bad, out of focus zoom-ins.

Reactions: MrCalavera

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I have to agree that Harley's glorification is getting a little out of hand. I actually enjoyed her cartoon series, right up until she gets Ivy to cheat on Kite Man with her. They spent two seasons on Ivy and Kite Man's relationship, only to throw all that out for Harley and Ivy to get together because iTs iN dEr kOmIcS. I guess Harley and Ivy get a pass for cheating since its Girl Power™!
Welp, all my motivation to watch the Harley show when out the window.

I'm genuinely confused as to why she remains such a popular character. Does she really have the same appeal as Deadpool? Or am I underestimating the appeal of "attractive lady does rude and violent stuff"?
A growing fan base will do that to a character that has been an ensemble darkhorse for two decades. There are a many a girls/women that love Harley too. I know Harley got an even bigger fan-base. especially from the teenage girls, because of Robbie's portrayal in SS1 (2016).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Welp, all my motivation to watch the Harley show when out the window.
I think there's enough in the show to make it worth watching. But I'd wait till season 3 to see how they sort that shit out. I personally really enjoyed Kite Man and Ivy's dynamic so when they just threw it away I was pretty annoyed.
A growing fan base will do that to a character that has been an ensemble darkhorse for two decades. There are a many a girls/women that love Harley too. I know Harley got an even bigger fan-base. especially from the teenage girls, because of Robbie's portrayal in SS1 (2016).
People can like what they want, but I was pretty annoyed that Harley's popularity means other characters like the Birds of Prey don't get their time to shine. Why the directors/writers felt the need to plaster Cassandra Cain's name on a throwaway character is beyond me. I'd take an Oracle movie over another Harley Quinn romp any day.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Probably a super hot take of mine.

I saw E.T. the Extra Terrestrial for the first time......and I am just shocked at how completely, utterly boring it was.

How the fuck did this movie made 700 Million Dollars at the box office (by 1982 money standards mind you)

How the fuck did this movie got a nomination for Best Picture of the year

How the fuck did this movie become more popular then its contemporaries. Blade Runner, Conan the Barbarian, Tron.

This is the movie that made Steven Speilberg the world reknown filmmaker.

All I am watching in this movie is just this boring white kid in a Californian town doing boring white american kid stuff with his alien friend he keeps in his house.

All this movie has going for it is John Williams Score and the Iconic Scene that became the logo of a whole film studio, Amblin Entertainment.

This is easily Speilberg's weakest film of his more "iconic" movie cataloge. This is his Titanic, and hell Titanic was more interesting then this movie.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think there's enough in the show to make it worth watching. But I'd wait till season 3 to see how they sort that shit out. I personally really enjoyed Kite Man and Ivy's dynamic so when they just threw it away I was pretty annoyed.

People can like what they want, but I was pretty annoyed that Harley's popularity means other characters like the Birds of Prey don't get their time to shine. Why the directors/writers felt the need to plaster Cassandra Cain's name on a throwaway character is beyond me. I'd take an Oracle movie over another Harley Quinn romp any day.
I can't argue with you there and see where you're coming. Though all the ladies in the film gets time to shine, Cain was a complete waste and should been called anything else. I would not mind a solo Huntress movie or Black Canary movie. The respective actresses for each character definitely got it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Probably a super hot take of mine.

I saw E.T. the Extra Terrestrial for the first time......and I am just shocked at how completely, utterly boring it was.

How the fuck did this movie made 700 Million Dollars at the box office (by 1982 money standards mine you)

How the fuck did this movie got a nomination for Best Picture of the year

How the fuck did this movie become more popular then its contemporaries. Blade Runner, Conan the Barbarian, Tron.

This is the movie that made Steven Speilberg the world reknown filmmaker.

All I am watching in this movie is just this boring white kid in a Californian town doing boring white american kid stuff with his alien friend he keeps in his house.

All this movie has going for it is John Williams Score and the Iconic Scene that became the logo of a whole film studio, Amblin Entertainment.

This is easily Speilberg's weakest film of his more "iconic" movie cataloge. This is his Titanic, and hell Titanic was more interesting then this movie.
I don't hate ET, but I find this one of the funniest hot takes ever made. I've always been indifferent towards the movie after the age 9. I would watch plenty of over it. Especially The Thing (1982).

Don't forget that I did make a Movie Hot Takes Thread.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I have to agree that Harley's glorification is getting a little out of hand. I actually enjoyed her cartoon series, right up until she gets Ivy to cheat on Kite Man with her. They spent two seasons on Ivy and Kite Man's relationship, only to throw all that out for Harley and Ivy to get together because iTs iN dEr kOmIcS. I guess Harley and Ivy get a pass for cheating since its Girl Power™!
I don't think Harley gets Ivy to cheat, it's pretty much a mutual cheating. When they first kiss it's a 'heat of the moment' sort of thing, and afterwards there's zero attempt from Harley to try and sabotage Ivy and Kiteman's relationship. Even after they jump into the sack together and Harley asks her if this could work, Ivy says no and Harley doesn't pursue it. They even give Kiteman the final word going 'screw this, I deserve better'.

And I mean, what's considered getting pass for cheating? The show doesn't frame it as their moral right to cheat and F Kiteman. They even get outed and humiliated. And yes, they end up together, but what would've been the other option after the fact? The only real problem I have with it is that it was rushed, probably because they weren't sure at the time whether they would get a third season. But they handled it well enough within the time frame they had, and left Kiteman with his dignity in tact - It would've been so easy for them to make Kiteman a jerk all of a sudden in the typical rom-com love rival way, but they thankfully didn't.

Season 2 in general was kinda messy though. The real build up to Harley and Ivy getting together should've had a season's worth of time to develop, not the final 3 episodes. But I'm willing to overlook that seeing as I loved the direction they took Joker in Season 2.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I just saw Collateral with Tom Cruise and Jaime Foxx. This movie feels like a spiritual sequel to Heat. This same Neo-Noir Crime/Drama film set in a gritty inner city California. Heck for all I know its probably the same universe.

And I feel John Wick has been taking notes from both Heat and Collateral.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I saw Don't Breath, which was quite good but also slightly forgettable. There were some really good scenes peppered here and there though, and Stephen Lang felt made for this role with his creepy and physically intimidating look.

The movie was in certain ways quite clever, like how Lang realizes there's more than one intruder by finding multiple sets of shoes, that the perps took off to be quiet. But then it's also a bit stupid, like how Rocky and bland dude get trapped in a room with boarded windows that our heroes are unable to force their way through, but then bland dude gets easily pushed through one by a rottweiler that ISN'T launched out of a cannon.

I am kinda enjoying watching some of these recent horror movies, as it seems that is the only genre (besides Drama) left in Hollywood that allows directors creative freedom. You look at Superheroes, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and Action and it's one big, dull corporate paste.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Birds of Prey: The one with Harley Quinn and no I'm not gonna type out that entire damn subtitle.

Saw this last weekend finally and it's fine. It's okay. The big issue it suffers from is the fact a large part of the movie is about the gotham underworld fighting each other for power and more important, a mcguffin diamond that's full of bank account numbers for the philosphers....er a crime family that got mostly wiped out years before. It's the kind of thing that could be the plot of a legit crime thriller. OTOH, the other half of the movie is Harley being zany and violent and pissing people off to the point almost everyone wants her dead, and there's a tone difference here that just doesn't mesh well.

I think part of the problem is while Margo Robbie does a great job with her, the way she's written here comes across as obnoxious half the time due to her status as a clearly mentally ill, violent, substance abusing asshole who also happens to be the protagonist and the only reason she comes across as good as she does is because a lot of people in gotham are shown to be worse(which makes you feel sympathy for batman because this is what he has to deal with). There's also that part where they reference her having a Ph.D in psychiatry(?) which implies she's smart, but most of the time she's shown as being really good at improvising with little sign of actual planning or forethought. Except when she displays that annoying Hollywood Psychiatry thing where she can psychoanalyse people by talking to them for about a minute(and while I'm not versed in the field, I'm pretty sure that's not how that shit actually works).

There's a bunch of other stuff here that I could talk about but not really knowing the comics I can't comment on much(the other heros/villians I know that they exist and that's pretty much it). Overall, it feels like it has all the elements to be a really good movie but it doesn't measure up to the sum of its parts and the elements don't gel very well which drags it down to being watchable on streaming. So yeah.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Birds of Prey: The one with Harley Quinn and no I'm not gonna type out that entire damn subtitle.

Saw this last weekend finally and it's fine. It's okay. The big issue it suffers from is the fact a large part of the movie is about the gotham underworld fighting each other for power and more important, a mcguffin diamond that's full of bank account numbers for the philosphers....er a crime family that got mostly wiped out years before. It's the kind of thing that could be the plot of a legit crime thriller. OTOH, the other half of the movie is Harley being zany and violent and pissing people off to the point almost everyone wants her dead, and there's a tone difference here that just doesn't mesh well.

I think part of the problem is while Margo Robbie does a great job with her, the way she's written here comes across as obnoxious half the time due to her status as a clearly mentally ill, violent, substance abusing asshole who also happens to be the protagonist and the only reason she comes across as good as she does is because a lot of people in gotham are shown to be worse(which makes you feel sympathy for batman because this is what he has to deal with). There's also that part where they reference her having a Ph.D in psychiatry(?) which implies she's smart, but most of the time she's shown as being really good at improvising with little sign of actual planning or forethought. Except when she displays that annoying Hollywood Psychiatry thing where she can psychoanalyse people by talking to them for about a minute(and while I'm not versed in the field, I'm pretty sure that's not how that shit actually works).

There's a bunch of other stuff here that I could talk about but not really knowing the comics I can't comment on much(the other heros/villians I know that they exist and that's pretty much it). Overall, it feels like it has all the elements to be a really good movie but it doesn't measure up to the sum of its parts and the elements don't gel very well which drags it down to being watchable on streaming. So yeah.
Also, Ewan McGregor couldn't play an intimidating or hateable villian to safe his life. Sorry dude, you're just too sweet and charming.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This same Neo-Noir Crime/Drama film set in a gritty inner city California. Heck for all I know its probably the same universe.
It's implied to take place in the same universe as The Transporter. It might as well take place in the same universe as Heat too. Heat starts at the train station and ends at the airport. Collateral starts at the airport and ends at the train station.

And I feel John Wick has been taking notes from both Heat and Collateral.
One of the best shootouts in film history. I saw this movie when I was 15 at the Star Theater.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
It's implied to take place in the same universe as The Transporter. It might as well take place in the same universe as Heat too. Heat starts at the train station and ends at the airport. Collateral starts at the airport and ends at the train station.

One of the best shootouts in film history. I saw this movie when I was 15at the Star Theater.

What's with the Jim Sterling video?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm genuinely confused as to why she remains such a popular character. Does she really have the same appeal as Deadpool? Or am I underestimating the appeal of "attractive lady does rude and violent stuff"?
Well there is a not-insignificant subset of the fanbase, especially women, who often like characters like Harley, simply because "she's a *****." I've actually heard this, when I've asked women over the years why they liked a particularly rude/violent/abrasive female character. The answer I often get is "she's a *****." Nothing further, that's it. I think it's because that personality type, is the one most often used, and allowed, at least when referring to female characters, to speak their minds, and say things that will often piss off guys. An outlet for female frustration, if you will. People expect Harley, and others like her, to call out the asshole guy in public for being an asshole, and they don't get shut down by society as being rude or whatever. For a group thats been conditioned for generations, to be polite, be nice, don't speak out as that's unladylike, etc, even if it's a justified speaking out, these characters are of then the exception to that rule, so they become a huge draw, and have a huge appeal.

And for that part itself, I really don't have much of an issue with Harley, or others like her. I do think it's possible to speak your mind and NOT be a *****, but we're talking mass market entertainment, they're going to try and use the most efficient, minimalist concepts to appeal to the widest audience. So "***** girl" is a quick and easy trope. The few examples of a woman who speaks her mind, and doesn't back down to confrontation, who aren't also portrayed as a ***** trope, are about as rare as bigfoot.

I just personally dislike, with Harley specifically, the glorification of her insanity, as a positive aspect of her character. Well, that and her being an actual villain, who fucking kills people because she likes it, and helped a violent psychopath for years to kill and torture thousands. She doesn't seem contrite about her past crimes, and they never frame it like she is. They just frame it as her deciding she's not gonna let an abusive man order her around anymore! Which, yeah ok, cool? You still happily killed a lot of people at his side, and don't seem to regret it at all. You just still gleefully run around doing crimes (which they establish in the opening of the new SS movie), and consider these jobs like some kind of vacation or something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well there is a not-insignificant subset of the fanbase, especially women, who often like characters like Harley, simply because "she's a *****." I've actually heard this, when I've asked women over the years why they liked a particularly rude/violent/abrasive female character. The answer I often get is "she's a *****." Nothing further, that's it. I think it's because that personality type, is the one most often used, and allowed, at least when referring to female characters, to speak their minds, and say things that will often piss off guys. An outlet for female frustration, if you will. People expect Harley, and others like her, to call out the asshole guy in public for being an asshole, and they don't get shut down by society as being rude or whatever. For a group thats been conditioned for generations, to be polite, be nice, don't speak out as that's unladylike, etc, even if it's a justified speaking out, these characters are of then the exception to that rule, so they become a huge draw, and have a huge appeal.
Similar reason why there are many women that love the characters Panty and Stocking. They're characters that bring out your inner biatch, even if you're a guy.

The few examples of a woman who speaks her mind, and doesn't back down to confrontation, who aren't also portrayed as a ***** trope, are about as rare as bigfoot.
  • Aya Brea
  • Gally/Alita
  • Motoko Kusanagi - As long as you don't count her characterization early in the manga. Big asshole at the start. The other versions are fine.
  • Cutey Honey
  • Claire Redfield and Jill Valentine
  • Twilight Suzuka
  • Lady (DMC3). The Devil May Cry anime unfortunately makes this a problem for her and Trish.

Ironic, because all the characters I mentioned are from Japanese products and entertainment.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I just personally dislike, with Harley specifically, the glorification of her insanity, as a positive aspect of her character. Well, that and her being an actual villain, who fucking kills people because she likes it, and helped a violent psychopath for years to kill and torture thousands. She doesn't seem contrite about her past crimes, and they never frame it like she is. They just frame it as her deciding she's not gonna let an abusive man order her around anymore! Which, yeah ok, cool? You still happily killed a lot of people at his side, and don't seem to regret it at all. You just still gleefully run around doing crimes (which they establish in the opening of the new SS movie), and consider these jobs like some kind of vacation or something.
Yeah, in the HQ movie, they have that scene where's she's shooting giant "Rubber Bullets" at cops in the police station and it feels like a way to get away with shooting up the police station without getting your movie boycotted because "Well, no one died!". Except it looks really stupid considering she has to reload each round before firing again, "Rubber Bullets" can put you in the hospital, and there's no reason Harley cares about sparing the lives of cops considering her history or personality. This is basically "Family Friendly Massacre".

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Similar reason why there are many women that love the characters Panty and Stocking. They're characters that bring out your inner biatch, even if you're a guy.

• Aya Brea
  • Gally/Alita
  • Motoko Kusanagi - As long as you don't count her characterization early in the manga. Big asshole at the start. The other version are fine.
  • Cutey Honey
  • Claire Redfield and Jill Valentine
  • Twilight Suzuka
  • Lady (DMC3). The Devil May Cry anime unfortunately makes this a problem for her and Trish.

Ironic, because all the characters I mentioned are from Japanese products and entertainment.

I only know Claire, but only from reputation. Never really played the RE series, just watched someone else play RE 2 back in the day. They are still very rare, especially in western media, in particular in big ticket action stories. If they're in it at all, and it's not just a sausage fest, they will likely be a grade A bitc*. That's one reason I liked Cora in ME: Andromeda. She was more than capable of standing up for herself if someone challenged her. But she didn't have to resort to being a ******, constantly aggressive and confrontational to everyone around her.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
High life.
Ummmmmm, hmmmmm. Probably shouldn't have gotten distracted halfway through this one. Many disjointed thoughts. Requires further analysis.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things.
What a comforting, anxious, depressing dream to sink into. But who is there to share it with?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Die Hard 2: Die Harder
I decided to finally sit down and watch Die Hard 2: Die harder. It's actually the only one I've never seen. This came out during the sequel craze period and I recall it being maligned as the worst Die Hard. I absolutely hated it. The dialog was atrocious and it was just kind of boring. All the desperation was gone and I couldn't even tell you what the villains motivation was. Something about freeing a dictator. This was a real transition from everyman bruce willis to generic 80's invincible action star in the lamest way possible. It didn't help that the villains, who were supposedly to be highly trained ex-military, were complete bumbling idiots. I kept wanting to shut it off and it was a struggle to see it through til the end.

John and The Hole 2021
My interest in this was piqued as the trailer was quite compelling and It starred Michael C. Hall. The premise is that a young kind around 12-13 dumps his family in a hole behind their house and the trailer played it as some sort of horror/thriller. Sadly it ended up not only being a bait and switch, but failed to deliver on it's own idea. While the premise plays out exactly as it sounds, the actual story is stuffed to be a kind of loose allegory for being an adulthood. This kids purpose in holding his family hostage is to explore life without them, which amounts to eating junkfood, driving and playing videogames. The movie features a lot of very cut down dialog and meandering shots of people sitting around doing nothing while the, currently popular in indie film, 70s synth score tries to make the audience uncomfortable. The idea was explore how scary and confusing becoming an adult can be. The problem is the idea never really goes anywhere. Eventually John runs out of things to do and gets lonely and the movie ends on a bland wholesome conclusion. It literally includes a subplot that actually doesn't have an ending which seems ironic considering the writing was half-baked.

Predator 2
I was bummed out at having wasted my time on two in a row and happened to notice Predator 2 is free on prime. I haven't watched it in 5 or 6 years and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up. It's still a great movie and odd duck in that sequel craze period. It's an original story with a new protagonist and looks great. I kept waiting to find something overly corny or cheap. It never came up. This one was clearly a labor of love. If there were budget cuts I didn't see them. I'm not sure it's something to complain about but the slaughter house scene is completely lifted from aliens, soundtrack and all. They raised the stakes and expanded the lore without jumping the shark. It all kinda just works on a simple popcorn level. Watching the making of on YouTube now. Kinda curious how it came together so well.