Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Speed Racer (2008): Whatever / Great

We picked this film out for my girlfriend's elderly aunt we watch a couple days a week. She likes racing, so we thought it'd be fun for her. Really dumb, but fun in the end once you "let go and let God," stop caring and just laugh at it's ridiculousness. I never watched the cartoon from the '60s, but I imagine they were trying to capture that essence of the original with most of the absurdity; that's the only way I would think it sells. Won't watch it again, but I've seen worse.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Just watched The Batman a few hours ago. Overall, I'd say it was a great movie, but I did have a few quibbles. Funnily enough, I thought The Riddler was a better representation of himself without the outfit on, where Paul Dano was able to show emotion on his face, something he did quite well. In addition, I can't quite figure out what I'd cut, but I felt the movie was unnecessarily long, and I wasn't too big of a fan of how the relationship between Alfred and Bruce started out as fairly neutral to strained, rather than the surrogate father that Alfred is in most settings.

Those aside, I dug the idea of The Riddler claiming to use the corruption of the city as his motivation, in order to "uncover the mask" of the hypocrisy of all the corruption, but it ultimately turning out to be a rather convoluted way for him to lash out at a world who mistreated him, with his targets becoming less and less connected to his initial claimed goals. To me, that fits the character of The Riddler a fair bit, where essentially all his plans, and even his riddles gimmick, boil down to proving he's superior to everyone, including Batman. It's all about him, no matter what he'd claim to the contrary. In addition, I had a fair bit of fun watching Colin Farrel as The Penguin. He was amusing when he needed to be, but he didn't play the role so ridiculously that I ever forgot that he was still a mobster, and one with a fair bit of pull at that.

Finally, despite the movie working with several different plotlines, I felt like it did a pretty good job of tying them all together in an organic way, rather than forcing one subplot to finish before jumping to another one. Even what seemed to be a minor subplot, the disappearance of Selina Kyle's roommate, becomes critical in tying up a major subplot on its own. Also, the cinematography in this film is amazing, and the car chase scene with The Penguin is one of the best I've seen in any Batman film, or possibly any superhero film in general. Overall, few minor issues, but I loved this movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Those aside, I dug the idea of The Riddler claiming to use the corruption of the city as his motivation, in order to "uncover the mask" of the hypocrisy of all the corruption, but it ultimately turning out to be a rather convoluted way for him to lash out at a world who mistreated him, with his targets becoming less and less connected to his initial claimed goals.
It makes sense, fits the character, and the entire point. If there's one constant in the Batman multiverse, is the Riddler's inflated ego, and the need to be better and smarter than everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebobmaster

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
It makes sense, fits the character, and the entire point. If there's one constant in the Batman multiverse, is the Riddler's inflated ego, and the need to be better and smarter than everyone else.
As my friend put it, while quoting Greg Weisman's approach to adapting Spectacular Spider-Man, every character has a central truth to them, something that can sum up a key part of them as a character in one or two sentences. That's the Riddler's central truth.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Gonna have to agree to disagree with Silentpony about Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, I thought it was a fantastic movie that everybody should see in theaters if possible. If nothing else because a constant parade of Marvel movies made me forget what fight choreography could look like.

I'd rank it right up there with Kung Fu Hustle. Like, it's not as *fun*, being a philosophical movie about Nihilism were there's an extended sequence of inanimate objects talking to each other of all things, but it's distinctly absurdist as a counterweight against, well, being a philosophical movie about Nihilism where there's an extended sequence of inanimate objects talking to each other.

42F5BCAD-CCB7-462E-A4FE-F55D80439CA0.png

It's a ride and a half with a solid message to boot.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Adam Project (2022) on Netflix
7.5/10.
This is a fun movie that says something about the state of the entire movie industry.
Again, this is a fun sci-fi high concept movie with a great cast, high production values, fun special effects and... it is a straight to streaming flick.
Well. We're not here to save the world. Just recommend some good movies. This is one of them. Hope y'all get a chance to check it out. I enjoyed it.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Contact (1997)

Lonely Jodie Foster character wants to contact aliens. Everybody is against her, speaking to her all flippant, claiming her discovery, and just generally being dicks. The aliens leave blueprints for a transportation machine to their world. When she finds the aliens finally, they take the form of her father, to make it easier for her. I'd be insulted. After it all, nobody believes her anyway. She's forced to take it on faith or have humanity take it on faith, which was the theme through the movie.

I grinned when the politician asked her this and kind of brought the movie back full circle. It's so clumsy and obvious and forced about it. Pretty sure politicians hardly care about God as pertaining to actual politics and discovery. It's profit, control and appealing to voters before everything. But the movie wants you to believe the most powerful people in the world would make decisions that affected all of humanity based foremost on a belief in God.

To believe that they would exclude the Jodie character from the mission solely because she was a skeptic. I just don't buy it.

Jodie character when asked by Matthew McCaughnehey why she is going on such a risky mission: "...some reason why we're here. What are we doing here? Who are we?"

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Think this might be Carl Sagan, the writer of the novel/story, talking. Then again, it's a pretty common question. An overly self-important one if you ask me. Could still make for an interesting theme when used by more talented writers, I suppose.

They used Bill Clinton a few times. Was pretty bad.

Here the position of his head doesn't even make sense. Remember that episode in South Park where Chef said he liked molesting children? After Isaac Hayes left the show on bad terms? They used a bunch of old dialogue and awkwardly put it together to make him sound like a weirdo. Clinton obviously isn't as bad here, but it's the same idea. The same problem. Should have just had the sense to make up their own president.

No news organization would ever hire this man as their reporter.

They give the Jodie character a suicide pill in case something goes wrong, which I don't understand. Why would the officials who funded it all really care? They wouldn't want her able to kill herself if there's a chance she can still report in on what she experiences and sees during this project that cost over 600 billion dollars. This guy in Mission Control almost aborts the launch because she doesn't know what's going on and her communication is cutting out, which is stupid too, since they have no idea how this alien technology worth far more than her life is going to function and would have to just do it all over again after aborting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it might actually just be a VGA or DVI cable, which couldn't carry the signal anyway.

About those 600 billion dollars... The transportation machine actually only costed around 300 billion dollars. But they built another one in secret, which pays off after the first is destroyed like a toy by a suicide bomber. After revealing the secret second project, the billionaire who funded her research in the first place says, "First rule in government spending: Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?" What?! Is there a rush to visit the aliens that necessitates potentially wasting 300 billion dollars? Why don't they just wait to see if it fails and then start over if it does? It didn't seem to even take them that long. There was no like "Four years later" written, like earlier in the movie. What kind of ridiculous rule is that?

Some pretty poor CG for things that good could have been done practically.

The movie ends with...

"For Carl"

Makes me wonder if he would have been embarrassed or proud.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Shortly after seeing that film, I, totally by coincidence, happened to see the South Park episode where it was mentioned. Can't get (I think Mr Garrison) to vomit by taking to him about gory medical stuff, but the doctor mentions that film and he throws us. I sympathise.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Think this might be Carl Sagan, the writer of the novel/story, talking. Then again, it's a pretty common question. An overly self-important one if you ask me. Could still make for an interesting theme when used by more talented writers, I suppose.

They used Bill Clinton a few times. Was pretty bad.

Here the position of his head doesn't even make sense. Remember that episode in South Park where Chef said he liked molesting children? After Isaac Hayes left the show on bad terms? They used a bunch of old dialogue and awkwardly put it together to make him sound like a weirdo. Clinton obviously isn't as bad here, but it's the same idea. The same problem. Should have just had the sense to make up their own president.

No news organization would ever hire this man as their reporter.

They give the Jodie character a suicide pill in case something goes wrong, which I don't understand. Why would the officials who funded it all really care? They wouldn't want her able to kill herself if there's a chance she can still report in on what she experiences and sees during this project that cost over 600 billion dollars. This guy in Mission Control almost aborts the launch because she doesn't know what's going on and her communication is cutting out, which is stupid too, since they have no idea how this alien technology worth far more than her life is going to function and would have to just do it all over again after aborting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it might actually just be a VGA or DVI cable, which couldn't carry the signal anyway.

About those 600 billion dollars... The transportation machine actually only costed around 300 billion dollars. But they built another one in secret, which pays off after the first is destroyed like a toy by a suicide bomber. After revealing the secret second project, the billionaire who funded her research in the first place says, "First rule in government spending: Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?" What?! Is there a rush to visit the aliens that necessitates potentially wasting 300 billion dollars? Why don't they just wait to see if it fails and then start over if it does? It didn't seem to even take them that long. There was no like "Four years later" written, like earlier in the movie. What kind of ridiculous rule is that?

Some pretty poor CG for things that good could have been done practically.

The movie ends with...

"For Carl"

Makes me wonder if he would have been embarrassed or proud.
That cable is probably an old school DB9 serial cable, or even could be a parallel cable. Its what printers and scanners and shit like joysticks were connected with in the pre-USB days.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Paul Dood's Deadly Lunch Break - (NowTV)
To be frank, I wouldn't have bothered clicking on this if it didn't have Katherine Parkinson from the IT Crowd and Johnny Vegas from all the wonderful things Johnny Vegas is from. But it did. And I do so dearly want to find a dark comedy that is actually ok again, perhaps even enjoyable.

This, however, is not it. I can't say it's bad, but I didn't laugh once. Though to be fair that's par for the course with me and comedies, hence why I avoid them unless they claim to be dark or some shit. Yet even taking long term depression into account, the writing lacks wit, edge, surprise, anything that might jolt oneself out of this joyless slog towards self-annihilation.
There's gore, it's not afraid to get a bit gooey at least, but some of the deaths are so dumb they lose all weight and meaning anyway.

The direction, while not terrible, has no ambition or vision to the point where a simple folk like meself can picture more engaging versions of multiple scenes in this film as they are occuring upon thine eyeballs.

Then there's the main protagonist. Clearly someone picked him for certain "leading man" qualities over any comedic talent, he unfortunately does not have the range to be able to cover the extremes of emotion the character goes through nor the timing required to pull off any particular scenes with flair. Yet again, he's not necessarily bad, just not cast well. I honestly think all this needed was a swap of roles between him and either Katherine Parkinson's character or Johnny Vegas's, both of them could handle the leading role with far more entertaining grace, they can entice a solid amount of empathy while still wallowing in self pity without it growing tiresome or unbelievable.

There are a couple of alright bits though, some other comedic talent appears with sadly more unutilised energy. And the local train station looks suspiciously like one I used for a good few years in the Midlands once. Other than that, it's mostly another disappointment. Am assuming no-one cares that I don't bother summarising the plot, It's basically the damn title anyway.

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Congratulations, you've discovered movie bullshit/movie magic. That constant indulgence of script writers everywhere - Looking at you, every episode of CSI ever - to fill in gaps in the movie when you're on a time budget and the cocaine has run dry. Or you have no access to a subject matter expert.
One of the jokes I liked in Space Force (Netflix) is where they have a photo of a foreign rocket with the resolution too low to see key detail. Steve Carrell's character demands they put it through optimisation just like the TV myth, and everyone tells him that's not how it actually works. One of the techs suggests they change the contrast to see if they can make more out... and of course it makes the picture perfect.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Hardcore Henry
(Own Copy)

Rating: 8.5/10

In brief: An Indie movie that basically exemplifies almost everything I love about the whole idea of "edgy" over the top films filled with sex and violence that so often get twee pearl clutchers so upset it even exists. I want more of this world the film showcases because damn if it didn't feel like what we got was only a tiny bite of the world.

Longer thoughts: This is an indie film that can best be described as "Ok what if we took a first person shooter video game including that level of plot and made it into a film". It's an entire film set in first person as you the audience as Henry, a man who wakes up with little to no memory being worked on by a woman and having cyborg limbs and parts attached to him. She reveals she's his wife and he was in an accident only for part way through setting up his cyborg voice box for the base to be attacked by Akan a villain with psychic powers and plans to build an army of cyborgs by stealing the research. Henry flees along with his wife and it's revealed base is a flying fortress ship. After crashing the escape pod Akan's mercenaries catch up and kick Henry off the overpass while taking is wife to get her to hand over her research.

Thus begins Henry's quest to get back his wife aiding by Jimmy a man with of many talents and a habit of seemingly being killed only to reappear in a different guise.

This is a film with blood, boobs and a mid film musical number that shows a lot of love for video games and has a bit of fun subverting the tropes you find in a number of video games.

The reason it's 8.5 not higher is simply because there's so much lore to the film that I just wanted more and some bits that the film really doesn't explain e.g. why or how Akan has psychic powers. Or more about Henry's past. The film could have done a bit more with this stuff especially the latter about Henry's memories coming back and that's where it fell a little short in my view.

Reactions: gorfias

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, 8/10

Surely one of the most bewilderingly meta film concepts conceived this century outside of David Kaufman's filmography, the film features Nicolas Cage playing Nicolas Cage. As in, the films of Nicolas Cage exist in the film's world and are frequently referenced. He's facing a downward shift in his career, and decides to take a gig attending some rich guy's (played by Pedro Pascal) birthday. Only turns out that the rich guy might also be involved in drug trafficking and kidnapping, and Cage is made to work with the CIA. But the real headscratching comes into play when the birthday guy reveals he's been working on a script and wants Cage to star in the movie. Oh, and also he's experiencing hallucinations of his younger self who keeps telling him he's a film star. So we have Nicolas Cage playing Nicolas Cage... effectively playing Nicolas Cage.

If you're a Nic Cage fan I'm sure this film will be a riot for you. There are multiple scenes where it felt like lines from his movies were being quoted verbatim and at length. I was actually kind of embarrassed to realize how few of the references I got. So it's good that the film is still funny even if you don't get the references. The chemistry between Pascal and Cage is fantastic, and I wouldn't have minded the whole movie just being about their blooming bromance. Pascal gets to flex his comedic chops for once, and he's phenomenal. It's always fun to see an actor break their typical casting in such a way. There's a fantastic drug tripping sequence that was the highlight of the film for me. And in case it wasn't obvious, there's loads of classic Nic Cage-isms here that should be included in all those "Nick Cage freakout" compilations.

The film unfortunately is rather front-loaded with its strengths, and can't keep up its weird, funny meta-ness all the way through. In the third act it becomes little more than an average action comedy which makes the film end more on a whimper than a bang. Which is a shame because if it'd managed to keep to its strengths all the way through this could have been best movie of the year material. As such it stays just short of fantastic, ending up merely great overall. But the first two acts are genuinely fantastic, and the chemistry between the two leads alone is worth the ticket price.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shadow (2018) - A wuxia film with a deliberate grey scale. The most beautifully grey film ever made. I say that with sincerity and no sarcasm. The colors are of a calligraphy painting. It's been a long while since I sat down and watched one of these type of movies. It's amazing that despite the color palette, Yimou knew what the hell he was doing big time. Epic, long, wide shots. Great use of slow-mo, and there is a heavy element of water and rain that is used. I recommend it. Hey @Specter Von Baren, recall you being in to these types of movies. Give Shadow a shot, unless you have seen it already.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Just saw the Northman.

Its Hamlet. Save yourself two and a half hours. Its Hamlet, literally broken into acts with more butts, less tits, and all the leads change accents every scene.
6/10, its Hamlet.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
The Northman, 8/10

Robert Eggers' hotly anticipated Viking epic is about as good as you'd have expected. It looks gorgeous, the acting is great, the atmosphere is grim and oppressive as hell, the violence and world brutal. It's maybe a bit slow paced in parts, but makes up for it with one hell of a climax. There's a stunning one-take battle scene early on and quite a bit of fantastical elements and mysticism, maybe more than you'd expect. I enjoyed that stuff very much, but it's going to be a personal preference thing.

There's not a lot of major criticisms I have aside from the occasional slowness. The film at points treads a touch too close to "phwoaarr badass" viking machismo which I'm sure some poor alt-right LARPer is going to see as aspirational, and it took me out of the film for a bit. The film makes no compunctions about the shittiness of its world though: slavery, slaughter, infanticide, torture and all that fun stuff are on full display here. The trailers were also a bit deceptive, as some of prominent elements there are mere fleeting moments in the film.

Just saw the Northman.

Its Hamlet. Save yourself two and a half hours. Its Hamlet, literally broken into acts with more butts, less tits, and all the leads change accents every scene.
6/10, its Hamlet.
Well, duh.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I Blame Society (2021)

Low budget indy film about a (socipathic) struggling filmmaker who decides to make an indy film about murdering people... and so becomes a serial killer. I guess therefore its really part of the genre of films about how hard it is to make films, which always risks navel-gazing. I cannot help but feel it's the sort of film a certain type of critic gushes about. I would call it a comedy horror that neither succeeds at being funny, horrific, or making much of an interesting point about filmmaking beyond some superficial satire. It does not seem to blame society much unless you count the fact that it suggests giving screen time to women's voices is just a tokenistic gesture so producers can get back to the real stuff, although it might also be ironic reference to the central character's failure to take any responsibility for their misdeeds or acknowledge their lack of talent. If you do want to see something about women in film in the post-#metoo era, there's a much better written, directed and acted TV series on the go at the moment called "Chivalry".

I was mostly just very bored by this film, so I recommend you skip it too.

Reactions: gorfias

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
See I didnt know the historical lore going in. It was just a Viking movie to me. And this movie proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that no matter how muscles, harry and manly man you are, howling like a wolf will always, ALWAYS, look ridiculous and be a comedic bit.
Seriously the audience was laughing their asses off, and I dont think it was meant to be funny.