Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I only like the first Kick-Ass movie. The second movie was way too cynical and up its own ass with its edginess and shock value. I still to this day have not bought the second movie. As far as I'm concerned, only the first movie exists. The fact that they tried to be more cynical like the comics sequels was not helping.
The second movie isn't made by the original team. It was one of those weird deals where the studio wanted to wring more money out of the license so they paid some stand ins to throw together a sequel. Nobody other than actors were involved from the first one. Theres a couple documentaries about it on youtube.

It was made by this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wadlow he's just some studio hack like a discount JJ abrams.

Its sad when this sort of thing happens, scaming fans. IN this particular case no one would argue that it should be ignored and forgotten.

For me, Im always only mildly a Mark Millar fan. He has great ideas, but he is very childish in his execution. Though the sequel doesnt have anything to do with the books I don't think, its not far off with his 12 year old version of "grim & gritty".

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For me, Im always only mildly a Mark Millar fan. He has great ideas, but he is very childish in his execution. Though the sequel doesnt have anything to do with the books I don't think, its not far off with his 12 year old version of "grim & gritty".
I was never a fan of his original work. Only adoptions with most of his works, cuz they knew how to tone down the overabundant and redundant cynicism and nihilism. From what I seen in comparison, the sequel still took some of the more edgier and cynicism elements from either the first book or the sequel. Everyone's either a bigger asshole or their negative things turned up to 11, and those around them. I know after the credits roll, I never wanted to see the movie again. I really walked out and said screw this movie out loud.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I was never a fan of his original work. Only adoptions with most of his works, cuz they knew how to tone down the overabundant and redundant cynicism and nihilism. From what I seen in comparison, the sequel still took some of the more edgier and cynicism elements from either the first book or the sequel. Everyone's either a bigger asshole or their negative things turned up to 11, and those around them. I know after the credits roll, I never wanted to see the movie again. I really walked out and said screw this movie out loud.
The only exception I'll make is Wanted which is a strange adaptation. The book literally has nothing to do with the movie, its not even the same story. I've never really seen that before. Even BVS tried to keep some of the same inspiration. The book is still a bit cringey in some regardless but it's pretty original take on the genre and one of my favorite books.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The only exception I'll make is Wanted which is a strange adaptation. The book literally has nothing to do with the movie, its not even the same story. I've never really seen that before. Even BVS tried to keep some of the same inspiration. The book is still a bit cringey in some regardless but it's pretty original take on the genre and one of my favorite books.
Wanted and the first Kingsmen Secret Service are the only other ones I like as far as movie adaptions go. Wanted was just average. The game adaption was actually pretty decent, but not something I would spend 60 bucks on. I bought that game at $5 used. It's sad that they never develop a sequel, to explore more gameplay mechanics that could have been done. Wanted: Weapons of Fate acts like a prototype Vanquish in certain gameplay mechanics.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
In The Earth - (NowTV - the UK branding of HBOMax I think)
Where to even begin? This director is supposedly on the task of the sequels to Tomb Raider and The... Meg? So why not check out what he's been up to lately with this funky fungi horror film beforehand. There's a woodland dubstep doctor, a raggedy Reece Shearsmith who is about as trustworthy as he has ever been, some impressive trippy scenes cleverly collaged with seemingly minimal CGI, some icky gore moments, more seizure-inducing visuals than The Incredibles 2 and perhaps if your lucky, a quiet plod through a plot of completely harmless British woodland. Not sure why the rating is like 2 stars on the streaming service, as this is an established and acclaimed director within these genres, and I found no way to be able to rate it myself after watching either, so fuck knows where those rickety uncultured opinions are getting funneled from.
The biggest takeaway I suppose is, let's hope the Tomb Raider and Meg sequels can squeeze in a few excuses of their own to get trippy, cause there's a noticeable cinematic craft in the way it's deployed here more than the overall general good direction.

No Time To Die
Ok, so is anyone going to point out that there's only so many ways you can escalate the "you can't trust anyone" and "they're just so much more secretive, knowledgeable and powerful" narrative which seems to be the whole driving force behind each Bond antagonist every time? At this point we've reach "you can't trust your own goddamn blood and every spontaneous move you make is already known by the secretive service that killed off the secretive service that was hunting the secret service." Is it not exhausting to try and write these villains in an spiraling escalation of paranoid fantasy each time. Sorry, just a bit of a personal musing. Film was pretty enjoyable in the end. Apart from uninteresting villains.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Bad Guys - 8/10

Couple of weak spots, but otherwise this was pretty entertaining. All the main characters bounce off each other really well. The opening conversation between Snake and Wolf is like a Tarantino for kids scene and the car chases are great fun.

Its also really weird and really funny to hear Moss from the IT Crowd act like a mad scientist

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The Secrets of Dumbledore

Its fine. Clearly had production problems, and there are just continuity errors. Like the introduce the crack team of wizards, including this black dude wizard from an important wizarding family. And his mission is to go off and spy on Grindelwald. Except GW knows he's a spy and Dumbledore knows that GW knows. And GW knows that Dumbledore knows, etc...

So he doesn't do anything for the entire movie. Like literally. He goes to Grindelwald, who says he knows he's here to spy on him for Dumbledore, the dude says he is, Grindelwald removes all his memories of his dead sister, and then that's it. He has no speaking lines for the rest of the movie. He's in scenes, people talk to him, but he never utters another word.
Then in the end when he's acting like he really did betray Dumbledore, he betrays the bad guys, despite everyone knowing he's a double agent, and then the good guys are like "What took you?"
And its like what? What do you mean what took him? His part of the plan was to pretend to be a double agent and then betray Grindelwald, something everyone clearly knows is going to happen.
and clearly whatever role he had was cut from the movie, because he's in scenes. They clearly shot him doing stuff. Its just been edited out.
Whole movie is like this. Just weird go-nowhere plot threads that were clearly in the movie, but I guess for runtime they cut them, but left the set-up.

Id give it, I dunno, 7/10. But its a firm 7. No higher. Jude Law is great, I like the music and whizbang and the plot works well enough and the Kowalski character stole the movie yet again. Just give me more of him pimping around the Wizarding world reacting to shit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Planet Terror - Saw it when I was 17 with the Grindhouse Double Feature at the AMC, watched it a few times on DVD in the late 2000s, and early 2010s. Sold the DVD a few years ago for some reason, and picked up the Blu ray version at a second hand retailer. Movie is fun and gory as I remember. It's a fun ass zombie film. The best House of the Dead movie ever made. Ironic, because HotD: Overkill was inspired by Planet Terror.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The Hyperions
(Own copy)

Rating: Average but only because it tried and failed.

Review Subtitle: Like a beautiful jigsaw whose pieces don't quite fit together properly.

The 100 Foot Overview: Saban Films did a deal in the USA with the Daily Wire (yes that Daily Wire) to give them an exclusive film and what they made is a film basically asking "Well what happens to the old power rangers when the Power Rangers team gets replaced by the new lot?" only it's not Power Rangers they're "Hyperions" and it's not some mystical entity but a human professor who created the Morphers Hyperion bracers and power badges.

More In Depth thoughts: A quite beautifully artistically shot film with a nice premise and well done visuals that feels like it works within it's budget and it doesn't often have the metaphorical seams showing in the film very often. The problem is everything is there, the ideas, the story beats, the visuals but it feels like the connective tissue is missing and so you have some quite nice shots and scene and ideas only for the film to feel like something is missing and it to feel like it's not hitting the mark. Like it feels like there needs to be a bit more film here to fill out things just slightly more. It's such a tight film it that somehow does a lot of world building but focuses the world building on less important aspects than the aspects the plot needs. E.G. Part of the plot is the idea being a Power Ranger Hyperion isn't all it's cracked up to be with lots of injuries happening and some of the failings and injuries being kept secret from the professor who is absent minded enough that he doesn't ask questions and a villain whose motive feels like it needed far more fleshing out.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Enemy of the State

Jerry Bruckheimer and Tony Scott are/were absolute morons.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Enemy of the State

I can't speak for Jerry, but Tony's Scott was not an absolute moron. Also, while I don't like all of his films, the man knew how to direct action and have intriguing characters. For the record, I'm not defending the scene or anything, but my feelings are whatever on it. I've seen worse and dumber. This feels like typical late 90s Hollywood computer logic.

Other than that, Tony was pretty much ahead of the curb on the subject of breaching of private information illegally and unlawfully.

Harsher in Hindsight:
This movie predates the USA PATRIOT Act by almost four years. The harshest part is that the act made everything the NSA did in the movie legal (with cause). Except the murders, of course. Convenient, eh?
Brill makes a passing reference to a previous operation supplying weapons to the Afghani rebels fighting against the Soviets.
Since the 2013 revelations about the NSA's PRISM operation, the film seems even more darkly prescient

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Enemy of the State

I think you need to lower your standards for Hollywood. That, or request a dollar every time a film does something incredulous to move the movie forward, buy a private island, and live like a king for the rest of your life.

Genuine question: what movies DO you like? For an ostensible cinephile (based on your postings,) you don't seem to like anything.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Genuine question: what movies DO you like? For an ostensible cinephile (based on your postings,) you don't seem to like anything.
Almost all the movies I watch. Even this one to an extent. It was a rewatch, but it's been about twenty-one years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Even at twelve (if that's when I first watched the movie) I was smart enough to know a camera couldn't do that.

Congratulations, you've discovered movie bullshit/movie magic. That constant indulgence of script writers everywhere - Looking at you, every episode of CSI ever - to fill in gaps in the movie when you're on a time budget and the cocaine has run dry. Or you have no access to a subject matter expert.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Would say it goes beyond standard movie magic into the truly absurd. Not like it was even set in the not too distant future. "The program can only estimate up to..." Lol.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Would say it goes beyond standard movie magic into the truly absurd. Not like it was even set in the not too distant future. "The program can only estimate up to..." Lol.
So? You're not special about it, nor being smug makes you any smarter. Not my favorite Tony Scott movie, but I like it fine.