Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Get On Up: Good / Great

Chadwick Boseman portrays music legend James Brown in a biopic. Does all the stuff you'd expect: shows his impoverished beginnings, his ascent into notoriety, his tanglings with racism and a music industry reticent to give him a shot, his ascent into stardom, and his eventual descent into power-driven madness that would nearly ruin his career and forever mar his legacy.

It was good; Boseman plays a perfect Brown, but given the story is generic and as old the music industry, it really didn't blow me away. Watch if you want to, just don't expect any surprises, particularly if you're at all familiar with James Brown's story you've learned via other avenues.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So... watched the James Gunn Suicide Squad. I have a hard time trying to pick which is better, this or the old one

That's not a compliment.

I dont know why anyone was in this movie other than Ratcatcher. Everyone was like the Joker from the original - pointless to the point of nausea. What a waste

Anyway, also watch Peacemaker. Much better. Characters actually did stuff. I dont know how this Peacemaker is related to the one in Suicide Squad, but that's probably for the best
Everything is in the Eye of the bolder. Peacemaker is the same character, the show is a sequel to the movie and they are both written and directed by the same person. How much of the movie did you watch?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I particularly liked the shocking reveal that the US had been up to bad stuff in South America, and had been supporting a dictatorship. And that if this got out people would totally care.
Even better, that America would send a team to try and fix the situation/cover it up. Meanwhile the group of rebels who actually want to save their own country is treated as an afterthought by the movie. Granted, the Squad acts against the US government by the end by doing the right thing, but then Viola Davis is framed as "the bad apple" who when removed results in the system being good again. Just like in The Batman, just like in The Iron Giant, just like in Captain America: Winter Soldier, it's not the sytem itself that sucks, it's just this one person. For blockbusters this is the height of criticizing the American government.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Even better, that America would send a team to try and fix the situation/cover it up. Meanwhile the group of rebels who actually want to save their own country is treated as an afterthought by the movie. Granted, the Squad acts against the US government by the end by doing the right thing, but then Viola Davis is framed as "the bad apple" who when removed results in the system being good again. Just like in The Batman, just like in The Iron Giant, just like in Captain America: Winter Soldier, it's not the sytem itself that sucks, it's just this one person. For blockbusters this is the height of criticizing the American government.
On a not totally unrelated note, the amount of villains who are want to fix a real and serious problem, but for some reason their solutions involve murdering innocent people or whatever instead of actually fixing things, and the heroes have to bravely fight to protect the status quo.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
On a not totally unrelated note, the amount of villains who are want to fix a real and serious problem, but for some reason their solutions involve murdering innocent people or whatever instead of actually fixing things, and the heroes have to bravely fight to protect the status quo.
Killmonger

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Everything is in the Eye of the bolder. Peacemaker is the same character, the show is a sequel to the movie and they are both written and directed by the same person. How much of the movie did you watch?
It isn't the same character. If it didn't start in a hospital, you could hardly tell its related. He acted way different from the movie from the time he woke up. It's about as much tonal whiplash as Burnham in the first ep of Star Trek Discovery compared to the rest of the series

But then, no one is the movie is really given any depth or character. You could have a follow up show about Rambo, Doctor McDreamy, Luke Skywalker or Ted Mobsy and pretend its the movie Peacemaker

Captain Boomerang got more depth in the first movie

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It isn't the same character. If it didn't start in a hospital, you could hardly tell its related. He acted way different from the movie from the time he woke up. It's about as much tonal whiplash as Burnham in the first ep of Star Trek Discovery compared to the rest of the series
I disagree big time. It is the same character. He didn't act that much different from the movie. It's called character development. Any changes that do happen was character development. And it was done well.

Reactions: Piscian

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I guess we watched different movies. Theres several scenes towards the end where Peacemaker verbally and nonverbally displays that hes questioning his commitment and worldview. It clearly hits him when Flagg who I believe he stated he worships or is a fan of, calls him a joke and he struggles with killing rat catcher. Gunn wrote peacemaker while filming suicide squad with specific intent to continue that narrative. I felt like in the show He starts off as the same character and start opening up/breaking down as the show moves along.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The Forever Purge
Some good stuff, some missed opportunities, some hokey moments, but overall it wasn't boring, compared to the antagonist in Halloween Kills, these bastards were certainly a little closer to home. Quite liked the end credits track too;

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I disagree big time. It is the same character. He didn't act that much different from the movie. It's called character development. Any changes that do happen was character development. And it was done well.
In the show, yes. I agree.

If you are saying a giant cement silo landing on Peacemaker is character development because it broke his brain and changed many of his traits, I'm fine with that.

I don't know how you think the bumbling idiot would cares about things from the show is the same a the professional uncaring mass murderer is the same. The movie Peacemaker is more like Vigilant in the show

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In the show, yes. I agree.

If you are saying a giant cement silo landing on Peacemaker is character development because it broke his brain and changed many of his traits, I'm fine with that.

I don't know how you think the bumbling idiot would cares about things from the show is the same a the professional uncaring mass murderer is the same. The movie Peacemaker is more like Vigilant in the show
Dude, it's called subtlety. If you can't catch that, you need watch more movies or show. I don't know what to tell you otherwise. Peacemaker is an idiotic dork, but focused on blind patriotism and killing. It's shown in the movie, and the spin-off show. I would not call him too uncaring, as he hated and shows regret killing Flagg both in the movie and in the show. His character arc is learning to not be a constant idiotic screw up, and be more than what his father wants him to be. Aspects of this character can be seen in SS2. Peacemaker is the second most developed character in the entire DCEU. The number one spot goes to Harley. I mentioned this in the Hot Takes Movie Thread.

Reactions: Hawki

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The end of Winter Soldier involved the functional and total dissolution of SHIELD. Alexander Pierce was dead and his remaining living cohorts arrested. That’s not “this one person”.

Reactions: gorfias

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Dude, it's called subtlety. If you can't catch that, you need watch more movies or show. I don't know what to tell you otherwise. Peacemaker is an idiotic dork, but focused on blind patriotism and killing. It's shown in the movie, and the spin-off show. I would not call him too uncaring, as he hated and shows regret killing Flagg both in the movie and in the show. His character arc is learning to not be a constant idiotic screw up, and be more than what his father wants him to be. Aspects of this character can be seen in SS2. Peacemaker is the second most developed character in the entire DCEU. The number one spot goes to Harley. I mentioned this in the Hot Takes Movie Thread.
HARLEY?

Jesus. We did watch different movies

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If you bothered paying attention to how she started in SS1, transitioned in BoP, and how her character arc completed in SS2. I get you don't like them, but details man. Look beyond your blind hatred. I got it time stamped.

Jesus. We did watch different movies
Yes we did, in terms of you claiming "the Peacemaker in SS2 does not act like he did in his own show!". Which we all know is bullshit. I suggest you start re-watching to back up evidence you don't have. Do or don't; I don't care. I already what exactly happened.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The end of Winter Soldier involved the functional and total dissolution of SHIELD. Alexander Pierce was dead and his remaining living cohorts arrested. That’s not “this one person”.
No, but it falls under the same cop-out criticism of America, where it's 'Look, we're totally criticizing the Patriot Act, but not really though because it was Germans all along, the American government was simply unaware so no real blame on you guys.'

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
No, but it falls under the same cop-out criticism of America, where it's 'Look, we're totally criticizing the Patriot Act, but not really though because it was Germans all along, the American government was simply unaware so no real blame on you guys.'
“The Germans all along” is a pretty asinine reading considering in 1940s America (and Britain and Australia) there was enough anti-semitism going around that it would have been laughably easy to reestablish Hydra under old rules, and even more than enough authoritarian leaning people to morph it into what it became. And by the time of Winter Soldier the relevancy of Nazi Germany to Hydra’s existence is minuscule.

And Captain America didn’t want to burn ALL of America down. Shock horror.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
“The Germans all along” is a pretty asinine reading considering in 1940s America (and Britain and Australia) there was enough anti-semitism going around that it would have been laughably easy to reestablish Hydra under old rules, and even more than enough authoritarian leaning people to morph it into what it became. And by the time of Winter Soldier the relevancy of Nazi Germany to Hydra’s existence is minuscule.

I don't think Hydra's particuarly anti-semitic. I'm not sure if "the Jews" are even mentioned in First Avenger, and there's certainly nothing in their M.O. after that that hints at particular animus.

Speaking personally, I think one can reasonably draw comparisons between Winter Soldier and drone warfare, but they're comparisons that come through analogy, and like all analogies, they fall short of the real thing (if you want a great film that looks at the morality of drone warfare, watch Eye in the Sky for instance). This is also stymied by the fact that the MCU isn't really our universe. Its history and culture have vast differences from our own. It's hard to call Hydra a commentary on Nazism, when the relationship is tangental and purely in the realm of pulp fiction.

Edit:

That's the MCU wiki's article on WWII. Play a drinking game of "spot the difference," and before you pass out, you'll probably see what I mean about the MCU being its own 'thing' in terms of history.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don't think Hydra's particuarly anti-semitic. I'm not sure if "the Jews" are even mentioned in First Avenger, and there's certainly nothing in their M.O. after that that hints at particular animus.

Speaking personally, I think one can reasonably draw comparisons between Winter Soldier and drone warfare, but they're comparisons that come through analogy, and like all analogies, they fall short of the real thing (if you want a great film that looks at the morality of drone warfare, watch Eye in the Sky for instance). This is also stymied by the fact that the MCU isn't really our universe. Its history and culture have vast differences from our own. It's hard to call Hydra a commentary on Nazism, when the relationship is tangental and purely in the realm of pulp fiction.

Edit:

That's the MCU wiki's article on WWII. Play a drinking game of "spot the difference," and before you pass out, you'll probably see what I mean about the MCU being its own 'thing' in terms of history.
I don’t even have to read that to know I’d be insensible before I even got to the end of 1940. Of course I’m aware the metaphor would fall apart upon more than surface level scrutiny.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Does the movie address any of this? No. All the bad Americans were Hydra operatives.

That's not the point. The movie starts out criticizing America on how it provides safety (through fear and murder), but then shifts that to Hydra being behind it all along. At worst America and Nick Fury are criticized for being neglectful, allowing a foreign idiology to invade Shield. Which is problematic on it's own.

Blockbusters don't NEED to address issues like this if they don't want to. But when they do it's this half-assed attempt so as not to make audiences uncomfortable, and in Winter Soldier's case not get on the American military's bad side (who fund a lot of these movies).

It's similar to a scene in the Spider-Man: Miles Morales game, where we see Miles (as Spider-Man) being threated at gunpoint by law enforcers as an obvious reference to real-world police brutality, specifically against black people. Except they're not actual cops, they're the evil bad guy's private stormtrooper army, and so the game gets to hint at social awareness without genuinely calling it out.

Last edited: