Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Diamonds Are Forever

The last and easily weakest of the Connery-Bond era. The story is Broccoli and Saltzman lured him back with $1.25 million dollars (more money than the entire budget for Dr. No!) which he didn't even keep for himself, establishing a trust fund for Scottish artists instead. I guess the real treasure was making out with Lana Wood inside him all along.

Sadly the movie has nothing on On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and Connery's "triumphant" return as Bond is wasted on a broad comedy of sorts about diamond smuggling. It has an uneasy relationship with OHMSS too - where the previous movie acknowledged and kinda reveled in the mythology of the series, this one treats the last movie like it never happened. A rushed prologue has Bond kicking ass around the world looking for Blofeld and quickly dispatching him, and you could argue this is meant to be personal retaliation for Tracy but to me it felt like a compromise in the vein fo "finish your homework first".

The rest of the movie is very silly even by You Only Live Twice standards. Blofeld is basically a comedy villain - not the least bit mysterious or intimidating. Just about every character in the movie feels like a caricature. *Every* single character is given a broad eccentric personality. Where previous movies took place in exotic and glamorous locations (the Caribbean, Turkey, the Alps, all around the Mediterranean, Japan) now we're stuck in filthy sleazy Vegas. Connery looks out of shape and particularly fed up. He openly hates the Bond girl he's got to work with, calling her "*****" and "stupid twit" and even smacking her once (not a massive faux pas by this series' established standards, but still). It doesn't help that Tiffany Case indeed feels like a stupidly written character. She starts off competently enough in a position of power and somewhat of an adversary to Bond, but by the end she gets dumped into a bikini and bimbofied to the point of slapstick ineptitude.

I'll give the movie this - the action scene in the elevator is pretty good, and Wint and Kidd are hilarious (and the movie would've been better off making these two the only eccentric characters, instead of turning everyone in the world into comic relief). And Lana Wood is a dish but wasted as a feckless Bond chick. That's about it.

Reactions: thebobmaster

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If there is one thing to be said it's that Anderson thinks of the Resident Evil series as a series about women. There are men in his movies, but they're never really about the men. Both the story and the action tends to sideline them.
Going back to his, I'm not sure this is true. Now, it's true the men are sidelined, but then the women are also sidelined except for Alice, because it's all about her and everyone else ends up as cheerleaders, though this gets worse as the films go on.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Resident Evil Extinction

Third movie in the series, second (and last) to not have Paul W.S. Anderson in the director's chair. Where Apocalypse saw an inexperienced Alexander Witt take that position, Extinction is directed by Russell Mulcahy, director of Highlander, among others, a much more experienced craftsman which, with all due respect to Witt, shows. Extinction also marks the point where the RE film series clearly divorces itself from the video game series.
At this point in time the games themselves started a stylistic pivot, leaving behind the survival horror of the first 3 games and starting to transistion into a period of action oriented over the shoulder shooters that lasted for 3 (numbered) games. The movies, meanwhile, had their own change of direction.

Extinction is where the RE film series went postapocalyptic. The zombie virus has reached, to quote Albert Wesker's video game self, complete global saturation. Society has collapsed, and so has the environment. The remnants of the Umbrella Corporation, its managers, scientists and enforcers, continue their scheming from the safety of deep underground bunkers, preparing for the day they'll inherit the earth. Up on the surface, the last of humanity is struggling for survival.
Extinction leaves behind the previous two movies stylistic influences from the likes of Carpenter and Cameron to embrace an aesthethic primarily inspired by George Miller's Road Warrior, along with some unexpected but welcome nods to to the kind of southern fried, sun bleached exploitation cinema that the video games would eventually pay tribute to in their own way with RE7.
Alice find herself travelling the wasteland, pursued by Umbrella goons under the leadership of of megalomaniacal scientist Dr. Isaac's and the film universes version of Albert Wesker, both of them up to all sorts of sinister plans, one of which involves clones of Alice, another one of which evolves reversing the effects of the zombie virus just enough to use the undead as slave labour.
Stylistically and thematically, this is where this series starts to find its feet. The fact that it uses its zombie apocalypse as a thinly veiled metaphor for environmental collapse (It's kind of quaint how it never makes an effort to explain how a zombie virus caused world wide desertification, it happens so that the metaphor works) where most of humanity is either dead or fighting for survival, while safety is only afforded to the industrial complex responsible for it in the first place seems unusually forward thinking for an action blockbuster of the mid 00's.
Meanwhile, Mulcahy successfully manages to find a plethora of strong iconography in this new, Mad Max inspired setup. Alice, travelling the desert on a motorbike in a brown dustcoat and slaying monsters both living and (un) dead with a pair of Kukris is, frankly, exactly my aesthethic. And hey, the action also looks good again. Where Witt's action sequences suffered from poor camera work and editing, Mulcahy manages to make his the most impressive in the series yet. One early on, involving a flock of mutated crows, another one later in a ruined Las Vegas and yet another one dealing with the climactic assault on an Umbrella facility are extremely well executed.
The plot, as it is, deals with Alice helping a Caravan (headed by Claire Redfield, who serves as this movies deutagonist) get to a safe haven in Alaska and evading Umbrella's troops. It moves forward very incremently, which would probably annoy, if I were actually watching those movies in the theatre, with years of time between them, rather than pretty much treating them as a television series, which they lend themselves to, on account of their fairly short runtimes.

Extinction is the first movie in the series I would genuinely call good. It expands the series scope, liberates it from its source material, fleshes out what it actually brings to the table on its own and, most importantly, looks pretty good doing it. The inclusion of video game characters still feels like a token, and wholly unnecessary, gesture and the final encounter is brought down by some spotty CGI but I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it. The start of the second third of this sextology presents a fairly major step up in quality.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Stylistically and thematically, this is where this series starts to find its feet. The fact that it uses its zombie apocalypse as a thinly veiled metaphor for environmental collapse (It's kind of quaint how it never makes an effort to explain how a zombie virus caused world wide desertification, it happens so that the metaphor works) where most of humanity is either dead or fighting for survival, while safety is only afforded to the industrial complex responsible for it in the first place seems unusually forward thinking for an action blockbuster of the mid 00's.
Maybe, but I'm dubious of giving the movie credit for it. The thing is, the T-virus doesn't make sense in the context of the third movie. Apparently, in five years, it can kill practically all animal and plant life, yet survivours can walk unprotected on the surface. The novelization sort of hints at this idea via Carlos's lines ("we fucked the world, and the world fucked us back"), but there's also the question of authoratorial intent. Is Anderson trying to make a statement on environmental collapse, and the wealthy bunkering up while the less fortunate fight it out, or is Extinction the way it is because zombies and deserts are cool?

Considering this is Anderson, who's outright stated that his focus is action movies, I suspect the latter. And I say that as someone who's actually more favourable to the RE films than most, and for whom Extinction is the no. 2 film in the Anderson series.

The start of the second third of this sextology presents a fairly major step up in quality.
Spoiler alert, it goes downhill hard. :(

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It also doesn't make a lick of sense given how the T-Virus works, both in the games and the film's. The T-Virus going wild across the planet would turn it into a hellscape jungle. The virus reacts differently depending on the organism and how it's applied. Everything becoming a desert is the exact opposite of what should have happened.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It also doesn't make a lick of sense given how the T-Virus works, both in the games and the film's. The T-Virus going wild across the planet would turn it into a hellscape jungle. The virus reacts differently depending on the organism and how it's applied. Everything becoming a desert is the exact opposite of what should have happened.
It's exactly why I stopped watching after the second movie. Even as a teenager, I knew that's not how viruses work. At least how the viruses work in the games make more sense in comparison to whatever the movies can muster.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Maybe, but I'm dubious of giving the movie credit for it. The thing is, the T-virus doesn't make sense in the context of the third movie. Apparently, in five years, it can kill practically all animal and plant life, yet survivours can walk unprotected on the surface. The novelization sort of hints at this idea via Carlos's lines ("we fucked the world, and the world fucked us back"), but there's also the question of authoratorial intent. Is Anderson trying to make a statement on environmental collapse, and the wealthy bunkering up while the less fortunate fight it out, or is Extinction the way it is because zombies and deserts are cool?

Considering this is Anderson, who's outright stated that his focus is action movies, I suspect the latter. And I say that as someone who's actually more favourable to the RE films than most, and for whom Extinction is the no. 2 film in the Anderson series.
Yeah, the emphasis is on cool stuff rather than making sense, or even making internal sense. But I like some of the cool stuff so when I watch the films I keep going to the end. This is also true of the Underworld film series which I consider rather similar, to the extent of placing them together in my DVD collection, as well as Ultraviolet. The Blade films used to sit there as well, but I rarely watch the third.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is also true of the Underworld film series which I consider rather similar, to the extent of placing them together in my DVD collection, as well as Ultraviolet
Aside from Rise of the Lycans, I hate the Underworld movies even more and find them even more boring. RoL is decent and at least entertaining. I know the history about Ultraviolet, and I know the director got screwed over hard. Even with the directors cut the movie has problems. From what I heard, the anime spinoff is better. The first two Blade movies are awesome. The third one really sucks. The TV series is not too bad, but sucks it only got one season. The anime is good; I recommend it.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Sudden Impact

The fourth Dirty Harry. In this reality an armed robbery can be found around every block. Harry randomly encounters two that have nothing to do with the plot in about thirty minutes. The morning after the second one, after Harry is told by his boss to stop getting himself into trouble (like he's not supposed to defend himself), there's a short weird tonal shift to somber jazz, which doesn't match the rest of the score and doesn't fit at that moment. A scene at a fishing market feels like an excuse to see Harry commit more violence. Too many subplots in this movie, which aren't even all really resolved satisfyingly. The main story of the rape victim going after her attackers (and her sister's) makes a nice enough parallel with Harry just delivering his own justice, kind of like the corrupt traffic (biker) cops in the second movie, but the stakes feel so low. A little dull until it isn't. There's a little bit of Miss .45 in her portrayal, but they don't really do anything with that idea of going mad. Most of the movie doesn't take place in San Francisco like the previous movies. He goes to a small town, which is convenient for the plot, as he can keep running into her by chance. I like all the Dirty Harry movies, but most just aren't that good. This is the only Dirty Harry movie directed by Clint Eastwood, and although the story (that he didn't write) left things to be desired there's some visually interesting direction by him (the night scenes), more so than some of the other movies in the series.

I like how the bad guy lands on the horn of the only unicorn in the horse carousel.😆 Look at the other horses right at that moment and the scene after.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No I wasn't. You did not listen one bit.

Hence why I was talking about Harley getting the most out of everyone, because it's built off everything that happened with her in the prior movies. While Peacemaker gets his development in his own show, based off what was already established in SS2. You either get it or you don't. Otherwise, you have no reason to argue for the sake of arguing, or because you did not get exactly what you wanted.

I am done here, because this is getting old. You can have last word if you wish.
Look man, I didn't know the rules change

I didn't know we HAD to like a whole series in its entirety or not.

I suppose I cant like Darth Vader as I only think he's good in Rogue One

I cant like Spock because I don't like Discovery Spock

I cant like Grant because he was only good in Jurassic Park 1

I also didn't know the rules change about having to like everything a director doee exactly the same

I suppose I cant like Spielberg becuase I dont like ET or Super 8

I cant like Wright stuff because Baby Driver is very average

I also didnt know that if we just bang on the same character trait/stereotype we can call that 'fleshing it out'. Instead of... give more dimensions to a character. Maybe if they didn't sacrifice the character's development in the movie so they could pit it all in TV show...

I was also not aware that I cant be disappointed just because something doesn't live up to my expectations. I do usually try to innoculate myself from hype but I failee here because I like Gunn. I'll just treat him like I treat everyone else... expect disappointment

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Look man, I didn't know the rules change
The rules never changed, you just keep thinking they do.

I didn't know we HAD to like a whole series in its entirety or not.
I never said that or implied it.

I suppose I cant like Darth Vader as I only think he's good in Rogue One
I cant like Spock because I don't like Discovery Spock
I cant like Grant because he was only good in Jurassic Park 1
I also didn't know the rules change about having to like everything a director doee exactly the same
I suppose I cant like Spielberg becuase I dont like ET or Super 8
I cant like Wright stuff because Baby Driver is very average
I care because...?

I also didnt know that if we just bang on the same character trait/stereotype we can call that 'fleshing it out'. Instead of... give more dimensions to a character. Maybe if they didn't sacrifice the character's development in the movie so they could pit it all in TV show...
They never did sacrifice any development. Parts of it was already there, if you bothered to pay attention.

I was also not aware that I cant be disappointed just because something doesn't live up to my expectations.
I never said that. All did was point out the disappointment you already stated.
I do usually try to inoculate myself from hype, but I failed here because I like Gunn. I'll just treat him like I treat everyone else... expect disappointment
That failure is all on you; that is correct. For the record, I treat Gunn like most others as well, with some exceptions. The only difference, I was never disappointed. I got what I expected and more. Certainly made my older brother happy and most DCEU fans. Keep in mind, I am not a hardcore James Gunn fan. I've only seen a few of his movies, and the only reason I knew about him was because of Lollipop Chainsaw.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Diamonds Are Forever

The last and easily weakest of the Connery-Bond era. The story is Broccoli and Saltzman lured him back with $1.25 million dollars (more money than the entire budget for Dr. No!) which he didn't even keep for himself, establishing a trust fund for Scottish artists instead. I guess the real treasure was making out with Lana Wood inside him all along.

Sadly the movie has nothing on On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and Connery's "triumphant" return as Bond is wasted on a broad comedy of sorts about diamond smuggling. It has an uneasy relationship with OHMSS too - where the previous movie acknowledged and kinda reveled in the mythology of the series, this one treats the last movie like it never happened. A rushed prologue has Bond kicking ass around the world looking for Blofeld and quickly dispatching him, and you could argue this is meant to be personal retaliation for Tracy but to me it felt like a compromise in the vein fo "finish your homework first".

The rest of the movie is very silly even by You Only Live Twice standards. Blofeld is basically a comedy villain - not the least bit mysterious or intimidating. Just about every character in the movie feels like a caricature. *Every* single character is given a broad eccentric personality. Where previous movies took place in exotic and glamorous locations (the Caribbean, Turkey, the Alps, all around the Mediterranean, Japan) now we're stuck in filthy sleazy Vegas. Connery looks out of shape and particularly fed up. He openly hates the Bond girl he's got to work with, calling her "*****" and "stupid twit" and even smacking her once (not a massive faux pas by this series' established standards, but still). It doesn't help that Tiffany Case indeed feels like a stupidly written character. She starts off competently enough in a position of power and somewhat of an adversary to Bond, but by the end she gets dumped into a bikini and bimbofied to the point of slapstick ineptitude.

I'll give the movie this - the action scene in the elevator is pretty good, and Wint and Kidd are hilarious (and the movie would've been better off making these two the only eccentric characters, instead of turning everyone in the world into comic relief). And Lana Wood is a dish but wasted as a feckless Bond chick. That's about it.
Wint and Kidd are basically the only good thing in the movie, really. They get better one liners than Bond, for the most part. Other than that...yeah, you pretty much summed it up. Everyone gives the Moore movies crap for being goofy, but this one started it. And the story behind Connery's salary is even better than that. He didn't want to say no, but didn't really want to return, so he threw out the most ridiculous salary he could think of, expecting them to turn it down, and therefore giving him an out. Whoops.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Wint and Kidd are basically the only good thing in the movie, really. They get better one liners than Bond, for the most part. Other than that...yeah, you pretty much summed it up. Everyone gives the Moore movies crap for being goofy, but this one started it. And the story behind Connery's salary is even better than that. He didn't want to say no, but didn't really want to return, so he threw out the most ridiculous salary he could think of, expecting them to turn it down, and therefore giving him an out. Whoops.
I’ll be honest; I could be convinced to wear a hair piece and camp it up for six months for 1.25million dollars (almost 10million today apparently).

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Tenet - a nice romp, though it raises the usual questions when it comes to Chris Nolan films. It was OK thanks to turning my brain off for the most part, since thinking about any of it would require excessive questions which would take away from my enjoyment, no doubt.

Also, something was 'off' about the sound design, not entirely sure what though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, something was 'off' about the sound design, not entirely sure what though.
I thought it was okay, but the sound mixing really turned off my full enjoyment. I had to watch with subtitles just to hear. I used to have the movie, but sold it earlier this year. After Tenet, I am officially done with Nolan movies. Granted, I was already not watching much of his after Dark Knight Rises, but I see no reason to bother with his films anymore. He's just a "classy" version of Michael Bay.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Pixar's Turning Red

I decided to give this one another try, before ultimately turning it off halfway through out of boredom. As an old guy Im being told the movie is not for me as its about adolescent girls going through puberty, but I dont really buy that lecture because Im certain Ive seen lots of good movies about girls going through puberty and other life changing events. Movies like Inside Out and Edge of Seventeen come to mind. This one just feels decidedly shallow and vapid in its execution. Its like a movie about puberty written for 7 year olds. Its all very bland and surface level without any introspection or deeper insight, at least at the halfway mark.

Part of the problem is the protagonist isnt interesting or entertaining. Shes just loud and annoying. She struggles for nothing and has a communicative and well supported home life. She doesn't appear to have a consistent personality.

The other problem is that film revolves around her and her friends desperation to see a boy band live. The stakes are low here and the movie knows the audience doesnt care about this.

What kinda shut me out of the film is two fold. By midway through the film she gains the ability to control turning into this big Panda and even takes advantage of it, so at this point the obstacle has been solved. Youre also being told to believe turning into the Panda isnt awesome, but yet shes clearly enjoying it so the message really gets muddled. Its like if having a period were awesome and gave you super powers. Whats the issue here?

So the second half of the film is just about them getting to the concert. I dont hate the movie Im just bored and would rather watch something else. I assume she settles things with her family and learns to be happy with turning to a panda or something. Something generic and wholesome.

Im pretty disappointed because this is the first time pixar really lost me. This feels like a real turning of the screw where this is a bland Disney kids movie masquerading as a Pixar film. Rating on a scale that includes Wall-E this is bargain bin trash.

Monsters vs Aliens feels like it does the same thing and is actually funny and entertaining.

If I were forced to say anything nice about the movie, one of her friends is this tasmanian devil of a kid that is psychotic, but in a way that balances out the cloying bland sweetness of the others. Her lines are about all the chuckles youll find in the film.

0/10 just skip it unless you're 4-7 year old girl. You ironically wont get anything the movie is trying to infer but its got bright colors and a big cute panda.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I thought it was okay, but the sound mixing really turned off my full enjoyment. I had to watch with subtitles just to hear. I used to have the movie, but sold it earlier this year. After Tenet, I am officially done with Nolan movies. Granted, I was already not watching much of his after Dark Knight Rises, but I see no reason to bother with his films anymore. He's just a "classy" version of Michael Bay.
You know, it's weird. I'm partially deaf in both ears, but had no trouble with the dialogue, per se. But music and effects were often noticeably threatening to overwhelm it, definitely. And even at those points in the film when there was no dialogue, there was something distinctly overpowering about the sound design. While it didn't reduce my enjoyment of it (which was already predicated on trying not to think hard on any of the film's content).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just like in The Batman, just like in The Iron Giant, just like in Captain America: Winter Soldier, it's not the sytem itself that sucks, it's just this one person. For blockbusters this is the height of criticizing the American government.
If those don't please you, may offer a suggestion? If you have not already, I suggest you watch The Purge movies and TV series. Especially Anarchy, Election Year, & Forever Purge.

Last edited: