Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I haven't experienced a sudden rise in chronic disease.
But it's been meticulously documented and is clearly visible since the invention of orange juice.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
But it's been meticulously documented and is clearly visible since the invention of orange juice.
How much orange juice do I have to drink to check this theory? We've only got one carton left, but I did drink some of the other three. Can they be included in the study?

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
How much orange juice do I have to drink to check this theory? We've only got one carton left, but I did drink some of the other three. Can they be included in the study?
You don't seem to be taking this very seriously, but understimating the danger of massive orange juice ingestion has often lead to drowning.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
You don't seem to be taking this very seriously, but understimating the danger of massive orange juice ingestion has often lead to drowning.
Get me the enema kit for science reasons! No we don't want orange juice with bits in, it'll ruin the experiment! Burgers at one end, orange juice at the other, chronic disease in the middle!

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I haven't experienced a sudden rise in chronic disease.
I don't understand why you guys shun basic science. One of the greatest decisions of my life was listening to whatever doctor was on the Daily Show 20 or so years back and giving up pop. Wonder what could be causing ~90% of Americans to be metabolically unhealthy, it's a complete mystery! Just like ICP and magnets (it's a miracle!)

People who consume sugary drinks [includes fruit juice] regularly—1 to 2 cans a day or more—have a 26% greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than people who rarely have such drinks. Risks are even greater in young adults and Asians.

In 2019, we learned (2019 study) that 88% of American adults had at least one feature of the Metabolic Syndrome, per NHANES data as of 2016.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don't understand why you guys shun basic science. One of the greatest decisions of my life was listening to whatever doctor was on the Daily Show 20 or so years back and giving up pop. Wonder what could be causing ~90% of Americans to be metabolically unhealthy, it's a complete mystery! Just like ICP and magnets (it's a miracle!)

People who consume sugary drinks [includes fruit juice] regularly—1 to 2 cans a day or more—have a 26% greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than people who rarely have such drinks. Risks are even greater in young adults and Asians.

In 2019, we learned (2019 study) that 88% of American adults had at least one feature of the Metabolic Syndrome, per NHANES data as of 2016.
Sir this a Wendy’s

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
One or two cans a day or more seems like a lot. Now, not saying that there aren't people who drink that much, but surely you can enjoy drinking the stuff and not drink it nearly that much.

OTOH, my dentist recommends not drinking that sort of thing. I'm not actually sure, but at the time I assumed he meant that amounts much less than that were bad for your teeth.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
One or two cans a day or more seems like a lot. Now, not saying that there aren't people who drink that much, but surely you can enjoy drinking the stuff and not drink it nearly that much.

OTOH, my dentist recommends not drinking that sort of thing. I'm not actually sure, but at the time I assumed he meant that amounts much less than that were bad for your teeth.
……moving on.

Predator - 10/10

It’s truly hard to find fault with this film. Most of the characters are fairly thin, but savvy writing courtesy of Shane Black (who also stars as squad tech guy Hawkins) means each of them is at least distinct when the writing is paired to their rather lager than life personalities and every actor gives it their all, with Bill Duke’s Mac shouldering the movie’s main dramatic scenes and carrying them very ably.

Only Poncho - he’s the guy who says “You got time to duck?” to Blaine - comes across as flat compared to Dutch, Dillon, Blaine, Max, Billy and Hawkins. I also have to give some props to Anna since the film doesn’t fall into the all to easy trap of implying she’s a love interest for Dutch. She gives some exposition and aids in the escape and trap setting. Although as the last two survivors of a whole lot of “Fuck that” I imagine they’d end up as close friends.

The action is of course very high standard with impressive set pieces relative to the scale of the film and looks great. No complaints here at all.

The Predator himself? Well his enduring popularity in science fiction and iconic design speaks for itself. Thank fuck for Stan Winston, Arnold Schwarzenegger and (in a small way) James Cameron.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I thought she'd disappear into some CIA facility, and he'd be lucky not to disappear into a different one.

• "What Now?" Ending: How will Dutch explain the death of his entire team? That an alien killed them then blew itself up and half the rainforest? What if the government doesn't believe him? What if they do? Both Predator 2 and Predators indicate that the story was taken seriously but obviously hidden from the public. The final fate of the survivors remains unclear in light of this.
But yeah, it's one of those films where everything just works.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Maggie Moore. Thought it was decent. Has a Fargo-esque feel to it: small-town America and slightly weird personal lives.

Bodies Bodies Bodies. Not as good, and falls apart in one particular scene that just doesn't work. Described as a horror comedy, but very light on the comedy.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
For my new movie tonight, watched a slasher movie from 1995 called Ice Cream Man. It was surprisingly effective as a B-movie, with the silly plot (come on, it's about a killer ice cream man who turns his victims into ice cream) that is balanced out by an intense performance from Clint Howard that manages to make the villain much creepier and more effective than he has any right to be, with the movie making it clear he is literally insane, not evil as such. If you want a somewhat silly slasher with a great villain, there is much worse you could watch, especially for that era of horror (let's face it, the 90's for horror didn't really get rolling until Scream in 1996).

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Yeah, drinking a pop here or there isn't too bad but tons of people drink that stuff daily from a combo meal at lunch (that comes with drink larger than a can), coffee that's basically dessert in a cup from the Starbucks, fruit juice, sweet tea, kool-aid, etc. When I was a kid the only thing to drink in the house was pop or water, what do you think a kid is mainly gonna drink? Why do you think so many people get diabetes now? Diabetes was basically a non-existent disease (the Type 2 version at least).

Fake burgers, yes. Real burgers are great for you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
MMPR: Once & Always - Something great for all Power Rangers fans. It's a great one hour special.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Watched Police Story tonight. I'm not sure I fully agree with Jackie Chan that it was his best movie, but it was great nonetheless. Fantastic stunts, especially one towards the end of the movie that almost killed Jackie Chan to perform. Needless to say, it was done in one take, because there was no going back for a second take on this.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
……moving on.

Predator - 10/10

It’s truly hard to find fault with this film. Most of the characters are fairly thin, but savvy writing courtesy of Shane Black (who also stars as squad tech guy Hawkins) means each of them is at least distinct when the writing is paired to their rather lager than life personalities and every actor gives it their all, with Bill Duke’s Mac shouldering the movie’s main dramatic scenes and carrying them very ably.

Only Poncho - he’s the guy who says “You got time to duck?” to Blaine - comes across as flat compared to Dutch, Dillon, Blaine, Max, Billy and Hawkins. I also have to give some props to Anna since the film doesn’t fall into the all to easy trap of implying she’s a love interest for Dutch. She gives some exposition and aids in the escape and trap setting. Although as the last two survivors of a whole lot of “Fuck that” I imagine they’d end up as close friends.

The action is of course very high standard with impressive set pieces relative to the scale of the film and looks great. No complaints here at all.

The Predator himself? Well his enduring popularity in science fiction and iconic design speaks for itself. Thank fuck for Stan Winston, Arnold Schwarzenegger and (in a small way) James Cameron.
It's also worth mentioning that this is the only Arnie movie that shows him reduced to a frightened child. This is 80's Arnold, in his prime, and this movie has him being b*tch-slapped to a bloody pulp, crawling away on the ground with a look of desperation on his face. Good stuff.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Asteroid City (5/10)

Didn't think much of this.

AC is a Wes Anderson film, and it's one with the usual hallmarks, from its directing style to its aesthetics. In this regard, the film does quite well, with the titular AC looking like a stage prop town, like you might find on a theatre stage (which is the intent, as it's a play within a film, so to speak), but looking just believable enough that it doesn't break versimilitude. This, however, is where my praise ends.

The film takes place in 1950s America, somewhere in the desert. AC is a desert town whose claim to fame is a meteor that hit the Earth 3000 years ago. It's also the host to some kind of science competition for aspiring nerds who are all socially awkward. Then an alien comes down, steals the meteor, the town is placed under quarantine, and insanity ensues.

Yes, there's a lot more that I could say about the film, but the plot isn't really the primary focus. Rather, it's an examination of...well, actually, this is my main gripe, I can't even really say what AC is ABOUT. I get the sense that it wants to be about something (existentialism, nihilism, whatever), but it doesn't really say anything about anything. One of the lead actors within the film (as in, the actor portraying the stage character) outright says to the director that he doesn't know what it's about. In a way, it kind of reminds me of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, only not nearly as good. So either AC is a film about nothing (if so, yay?), or it's a film about something, and therefore, what?

So, yeah. Not a fan. Great set design, great directing, good music, but there's no real meat on the bones.

Reactions: gorfias