• Total voters

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Does the film offer anything to those familiar with the subject matter? Like interesting or illuminating footage?
Music docs can be... iffy
As someone who was/is fairly unfamiliar with the subject matter... I don't know. For someone who knows everything about Marley? Probably not. For someone who knows nothing about Marley? Probably. For everyone in between? I'd say you're as likely to learn some things you didn't know as you are to see some things you did know validated. Like I said, it's not so much about his life as it is about the impact his life had on the world with some insights from his life sprinkled on top.

Could I be any more ambiguous? Maybe, maybe not.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Holdovers

Lovely movie. It's tropey and cliche as fuck but it worked for me. Alexander Payne joked about finally setting one of his movies in the 70s after having spent his whole career making "70s movies", which I totally see (except for Election). As cozy and relaxed as his plots tend to be the word itself always feels kitchen sink dirty. It's realistic in that it's always bigger and uncaring, and does not accommodate conceits perfectly. When it does they feel honest and earned. Even the emotional or sentimental moments are rough around their edges, undercut by whatever immediately follows. And the characters are always essentially pathetic, it's just that they're so damn likable.
Same. Missus wouldn't finish watching with me due to how cliche it was telling me she could already map out where it was all headed. I'm trying to tell her, it's not a mystery. It's a slice of life and we are to sit back, enjoy the nostalgia and these characters. I may have enjoyed it more as I could identify. I was sentenced to boarding school as my parents split around that same era. I thought Dominic Sessa suffered from "old face" playing a high school character but the actor is not actually that far off the character's age (maybe by a year or 2).

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I thought Dominic Sessa suffered from "old face" playing a high school character but the actor is not actually that far off the character's age (maybe by a year or 2).
Apparently he was originally written to be 15 and they upped his age when the actor was cast. There's also a line in there about him repeating a year I think? But yeah, loved this movie.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Is there a bit where the hero cop and the scientist go to the mayor and say they have to cancel the big event because of the monster? But the mayor says no, the big event will go ahead and the monster attacks it?

I think there's a law saying that should be in there.
Yes, but it's the police chief, not the main duo.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Couldn't last through all of TMNT Mutant Mayhem. Gorgeous movie, and could be decently funny at times. But the turtles are, well, turtles. They are mutants. They are definitely teenagers. But they just do not feel like ninjas. And for me, that has always been the hook of this franchise. I know every version of the turtles eventually gets as far away from being ninjas as can be, but to just do it straight out of the gate made it feel very generic.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: Gordon_4

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Rewatched Harold and Maude. American movies should've stayed in the 70s. What did we really get after, besides Who Framed Roger Rabbit and a bunch of Rocky sequels?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, I thought it was just a silly, yet entertaining film, but looking back, everything just works, in a way that is actually quite rare.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Boyz N the Hood, 8/10

This is one of the most quintessential movies about life in impoverished black communities in America. In that sense I was expecting this to be like the Godfather: good, but full of things thatd've become trite or cliché since. Turns out very much not so, and to its benefit. This is more of a slice of life movie than any kind of real narrative. There's no real story here, it's just spending time with these few characters and what's going on in their lives. Almost all tropes you'd expect to see in a movie about the subject matter are absent: there are no shootouts, gang fights, drug deals, graffiti-riddled dilapidated buildings or police violence. Instead it's about very mundane things: relationship troubles, going to college, coming of age and the sort. That, and how this movie keeps its location kind of vague, makes this film feel very universally relatable despite its very specific cultural context.

What makes it special is its worldbuilding and how it immerses you in its environment. Despite these people living in a perfectly average looking neighborhood, the threat of violence is ever-present, and could you hit you any time out of nowhere. Characters struggle with wanting more out of life, but are trapped by the run-down state of their environment. There's no moustache twirling white guy in a suit ruining things in the background, it's more of a convergence of factors, and there's no one person to blame. Characters can and do make wise life decisions, but there's only so much one person can do when the world keeps knocking them back down. All in all it's very authentic and true to life, and holds up incredibly well. I guess it can at times feel kind of didactic, there are several scenes where it slips close to "the writer speaks to the audience through a character", but it never goes too far. Beyond that there's not really much to criticize. Considering this movie was made with a very meager budget it's strong in all the right areas.

Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

ETA: To explain my last paragraph, this is Cleopatra. Can you tell why I want her to cross over into the movies proper?

1708304261635.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

ETA: To explain my last paragraph, this is Cleopatra. Can you tell why I want her to cross over into the movies proper?

View attachment 10668
I agree about the score, but try ingWho Framed Roger Rabbit? shortly after watching Predator. Very similar, though it works for that film as well.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
His quote is true on both parts, but the first typically depends on the absence of humans.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

I am legitimately surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. Usually not a fan of this guy's work.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Anatomy of a Fall

A man is found dead at the base of a three-story house and his wife quickly becomes the center of the investigation and eventual trial. We know practically nothing about them, their history, their relationship or their son, so the movie is about slowly learning the facts and the not-facts about these two characters while we form our own [changing] opinion about them - much like following a media circus as it develops in real life. And while the movie appears to offer a conventional answer on whether the wife is guilty or innocent - and whether she is FOUND guilty or innocent - ultimately the movie boils down to choosing what you believe in.

Having successfully appreciated all of this, I wasn't terribly engaged by the movie. The arguments in the trial dragged on, the arguments between husband and wife dragged on, everything sounded maybe a little too convincingly banal and circular. I wanted to know what happened but I also didn't much care. At one point I reached my own conclusion and almost didn't need the rest of the movie.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States