Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Top tier S-Rank. Seriously, Netflix for some reasons tends to have the best animated movies. BTW, Ruby Gillman is on Netflix now, if you have not seen yet. I give a good recommendation.

In terms of asshole lead characters, I've seen so much worse that Nimona is not even close. Besides, she ain't the only problem and the knights got a few jackasses I wanna knee bash in the face.
Some of them are extremely punchable.

Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Jason X was terrible taken to a whole new level. It did have a handful of good kills though.
See, Jason X is actually one of my favorite Friday the 13th movies. It knows it's absolutely ridiculous and stupid, and runs with it.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
American Fiction 8/10

One of the awards-bait films of the year stars Jeffrey Wright as an author and professor who's very full of himself and his strong opinions about literature and about and for black people. While facing family and money problems he blows off steam by writing a parody of a the kind black fiction he hates, which of course becomes genuinely successful.

I had some trepidation going into this one because it's about ISSUES and DIVERSITY and it's almost a comedy and that stuff is rarely actually funny or interesting but this one was pretty good! What I appreciated is that while it's trying to say something it's not taking itself too seriously, and in fact if the main character learns anything throughout the film it's going to be to not take himself too seriously (that's not a spoiler it's pretty much the vibe from the get-go).

Sterling K. Brown plays his brother and my wife recognized the love interest from Living Single and Issa Rae plays the successful author or represents everything he thinkgs he hates. Trigger warning if, like me, you ever had to deal with old folks with dimentia as that is a subplot.

Many laughs were to be had watching Wright's intellectual type dude pretend to be a stereotypical thug in order to promote his book and persona, and Brown delivers that expected emotional bombs, the deserved reputation that actor got from This Is Us- a show I never even watched but knew about.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Dune (2021): Loquacious / Great

I'm not even going to attempt a synopsis; I have no idea what I just watched. Politics, talking, precious resource, more talking, conflict, more talking, credits.

We watched it because 1.) we hadn't seen it, and 2.) the upcoming part 2 looked tantalizing, but after part 1, I've no interest in part 2 anymore. It was like Game of Thrones meets Star Wars, two franchises that, imho, waste their potential in pretentious, hard-to-follow dialogue while the cool shit is happening elsewhere. And I'm not faulting it for this; I'm completely willing to accept that it could have been simply too intellectual for me. I came in wanting to see massive sand worms and spectacle, and I got a bunch of "normies" chatting up blue-eyed people about their oregano or some shit, and the sand worms got all of 45 seconds of screen time; My bad that my expectations were too far beneath the grander picture. I now know my place, it it is not in theaters for part 2.
I watched this again (for some reason,) this time with tempered expectations and focusing more on the dialogue and not waiting to see sand worms every 5 minutes, and... it's not as bad as I thought it was the first time. Still wouldn't put it in my top 10 of Sci-Fi movies, but certainly not the egregious affront I initially took it for. It's a slow burn of a movie, obviously intentionally so since they had at least a Part 2 in the works, and with this better understanding, I will likely see Part 2 when it comes out.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I watched this again (for some reason,) this time with tempered expectations and focusing more on the dialogue and not waiting to see sand worms every 5 minutes, and... it's not as bad as I thought it was the first time. Still wouldn't put it in my top 10 of Sci-Fi movies, but certainly not the egregious affront I initially took it for. It's a slow burn of a movie, obviously intentionally so since they had at least a Part 2 in the works, and with this better understanding, I will likely see Part 2 when it comes out.
I watched it again this weekend as well, but I'm coming from a very different place. Had seen both prior attempts to film Dune, have read all the books. And I'm still not sure about this version. Really looks good, but... Really cast well, but... Really good score, but... Really good adaptation, but... It seems like for every area in which they did well, there is one glaring exception. Easiest to explain, is the cast. Nearly everyone was perfect. Isaac, perfect Leto. Momoa, perfect Idaho. Brolin, BORN to play Gurney Halleck. The problem is this is Jessica and Paul's story, and they are the weakest casting links.

Still, looking forward to Part 2. Although, fair warning... the part of the story covered by Part 1 is easily better in both prior attempts to put Dune on film, than will be covered by part 2. I, frankly, can't believe they ended the first part with Paul dueling Jamis. That NEEDED to be how they started Part 2. And to separate that from the scene distributing Jamis' water... has already killed what should have been one of the more meaningful scenes in the second movie. Plus, the callback to "may thy blade chip and shatter" will now fall very short in the final duel as well.

Reactions: Xprimentyl
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
This one holds a special place in my heart, partly because it’s the first one I saw and it left an impression on my fondness for horror in general. I also think it’s probably where the series peaked, with the whole theme of “crazy kid was actually telling the truth!” as a punchline. It’s here where Jason went “full monster” and the franchise embraced the absurd. It was fun, suspenseful, grotesque and often comedic while still holding true to the campiness of it all.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I watched it again this weekend as well, but I'm coming from a very different place. Had seen both prior attempts to film Dune, have read all the books. And I'm still not sure about this version. Really looks good, but... Really cast well, but... Really good score, but... Really good adaptation, but... It seems like for every area in which they did well, there is one glaring exception. Easiest to explain, is the cast. Nearly everyone was perfect. Isaac, perfect Leto. Momoa, perfect Idaho. Brolin, BORN to play Gurney Halleck. The problem is this is Jessica and Paul's story, and they are the weakest casting links.

Still, looking forward to Part 2. Although, fair warning... the part of the story covered by Part 1 is easily better in both prior attempts to put Dune on film, than will be covered by part 2. I, frankly, can't believe they ended the first part with Paul dueling Jamis. That NEEDED to be how they started Part 2. And to separate that from the scene distributing Jamis' water... has already killed what should have been one of the more meaningful scenes in the second movie. Plus, the callback to "may thy blade chip and shatter" will now fall very short in the final duel as well.
As someone who's not read any of the books and only saw the '80s version once about 30 years ago, this film is effectively my introduction to the material; without your calling out the flaws, I wouldn't have noticed them. I'm going into Part 2 with zero expectations, though the trailers do seem to have a lot more of the action I expected from Part 1. My goal for Part 2 is simply pay more attention to the dialogue, and appreciate the spectacle when they allow for it.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
As someone who's not read any of the books and only saw the '80s version once about 30 years ago, this film is effectively my introduction to the material; without your calling out the flaws, I wouldn't have noticed them. I'm going into Part 2 with zero expectations, though the trailers do seem to have a lot more of the action I expected from Part 1. My goal for Part 2 is simply pay more attention to the dialogue, and appreciate the spectacle when they allow for it.
I am not much a fan of anything, but i REALLY liked the Dune-Books (The first bunch). But i think the whole thing is better written than filmed. The strong point is the setting, the CONCEPT. Makes you think about the "forces" at work. (Politics and Religion, saviour-types and the damage potential/ power of "important leaders"), human nature, transhumanism and the "worth" of humanity)

As a movie/miniseries it is just a few hours, just a few cool scenes.

One point which i felt missing is the explanation what a Mentat (The Human calculator guys advising the duke/baron) truly are, WHY we have those guys. This fails to mention that Paul also has mentat-training. (I think one of the point of the series is that Paul as the focal point of the first three books is also a focal point of ALL extremes in the world: Powerful, wise, charismatic politician, mentat training, still "fully human" (loving family, empathy, moral code), spice-sensitive (Future-Vision), genetic ancestor memory of all ancestors (past vision), manufactured religion backing/using him.

But yeah all that doesn't come off in the movie. Also doesn't convey how much "superhuman" some of the "players" are. (The dialogue between the Baron Harkonnen und his Dark Mentat about how good a human calculator the Baron is and how much better a Mentat is still. The weird perceptive and manipulative powers of the Sisters. (Full Body control never comes up, except the martial arts))

Ah well, of course i will watch the second Dune (A Few things will come up there) Oh and Paul better cry at the start of the movie... that scene was SOOOO missing in the first part.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I am not much a fan of anything, but i REALLY liked the Dune-Books (The first bunch). But i think the whole thing is better written than filmed. The strong point is the setting, the CONCEPT. Makes you think about the "forces" at work. (Politics and Religion, saviour-types and the damage potential/ power of "important leaders"), human nature, transhumanism and the "worth" of humanity)

As a movie/miniseries it is just a few hours, just a few cool scenes.

One point which i felt missing is the explanation what a Mentat (The Human calculator guys advising the duke/baron) truly are, WHY we have those guys. This fails to mention that Paul also has mentat-training. (I think one of the point of the series is that Paul as the focal point of the first three books is also a focal point of ALL extremes in the world: Powerful, wise, charismatic politician, mentat training, still "fully human" (loving family, empathy, moral code), spice-sensitive (Future-Vision), genetic ancestor memory of all ancestors (past vision), manufactured religion backing/using him.

But yeah all that doesn't come off in the movie.
And I get why. Part 1 was already pretty exposition heavy. For someone like me, already very familiar with the setting, I thought they did a pretty decent job getting in enough to intrigue folks who weren't familiar. But at the same time, some of the people I watched it with kept asking me questions about this and that and commented that without me there... they probably would have been lost. Example, when the lasgun got used I was asked why everyone didn't have one... and for that matter, why was everyone primarily using swords? So I had to explain that shields make swords more effective than guns... and lasers VERY unadvisable.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wanted (2008) - I remember seeing this in the show with my parents and older brother. I still love this movie. It was one of the last Matrix clones to come out and not suck. This was also made during the time when nearly everyone and their grandad were trying to be Jason Bourne. It's also like looking into a late 2000s time capsule of sorts. I actually find this adaption better than the source material. The source material sucks and should be avoided. The only flaw I can give this movie is that they weren't able to get Halley Barry to play as Fox, but even that does not bother me at all. I actually watched earlier in the middle of last year, and forgot to a post up.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, not as good as the first, but still decent..

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, not as good as the first, but still decent..
I love both movies about the same, but I will say the CG aged so much worse in Mummy Returns.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

I am not quite sure what I just watched.