Country
United States

Reactions: gorfias

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Sisu was pretty damn great. It's probably less impressive than John Wick in terms of stunts, special effects, or even just action in general, but I enjoyed it significantly more than any of the more recent Wick flicks.

It's not a perfect movie, it kinda fumbled the landing at the end, but man it just does so much right. Definitely recommend, especially if you're kinda tired of all the John Wick clones lately.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Killer 9/10

Another bit of Korean action cinema and boy-howdy was it a good one. Plot is... I dunno, some dude freaking kills everyone cause his absolute moron of a wife makes him babysit a dumb teenager. Who cares- what's important is the action is all about how this dude always uses the least amount of energy to execute the most amount of damage. Slight dodges and efficient weapon use all the time, so it's super-brutal but you're like "oh that makes sense" all the time. I love this style. And the protagonist doesn't have to act all stoic and emotionless when he's not killing people.
In one scene a character references The Man From Nowhere which I also recently watched because they're in the exact same scenario so I'm glad I did watch that first and that I'm catching up a bit on this sub-genre.

Here's the thing- Americans don't make just straight-up action movies any more. At least not without ridiculous comic book characters, green screens, or annoying celebrities. Sorry I just don't find the Rock charming or entertaining in any way. Well thank goodness other countries have picked up the mantle for this sort of thing.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
License to Kill

And that's it. I've watched every Bond movie, except the one where they kill him off. Save the lamest for last.
Pretty sure Craig would still be roped into doing these if his iteration didn’t have a definitive ending. Apparently he wanted to be done with them after Spectre, but not sure if that was just because it kinda sucked.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Pretty sure Craig would still be roped into doing these if his iteration didn’t have a definitive ending. Apparently he wanted to be done with them after Spectre, but not sure if that was just because it kinda sucked.
He said that his comments were made when he was just exhausted from the process of making Spectre, and that he wasn't being serious.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's the thing- Americans don't make just straight-up action movies any more.
That's a damn lie. Where have you been? There's plenty of just regular action movies based off of superheroes nor major super mainstream stardom power. Check Netflix, Amazon, and Max. Not to mention there's still a lot of good action movies that go straight to dvd. Have you seen anything by Scott Adkins? I know the guy is British, but he's done a lot of American productions for majority of his movies.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Have you seen anything by Scott Adkins? I know the guy is British, but he's done a lot of American productions for majority of his movies.
Those straight to DVD Universal Soldier sequels he starred in are scarily good for what they are. Day of Reckoning in particular is fucking sick.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That's a damn lie. Where have you been? There's plenty of just regular action movies based off of superheroes nor major super mainstream stardom power. Check Netflix, Amazon, and Max. Not to mention there's still a lot of good action movies that go straight to dvd. Have you seen anything by Scott Adkins? I know the guy is British, but he's done a lot of American productions for majority of his movies.
The Sniper series comes to mind. Skip the last one, as it's a comedy about sex traffickers killing all the trafficked women and witnesses.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Sniper series comes to mind. Skip the last one, as it's a comedy about sex traffickers killing all the trafficked women and witnesses.
I stopped watching after the third movie, and I couldn't even tell what happens in that one. How many of these movies did they make?

EDIT: (Looks it up) Christ, who the fuck are still watching these?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I stopped watching after the third movie, and I couldn't even tell what happens in that one. How many of these movies did they make?

EDIT: (Looks it up) Christ, who the fuck are still watching these?
I have them all on DVD. Helps there was a box set of the first 6, and they tend to be cheap.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Here's the thing- Americans don't make just straight-up action movies any more. At least not without ridiculous comic book characters, green screens, or annoying celebrities.
Er, surely not.

Depending on what you mean I would suggest "straight-up" action movies only start around late 70s. The majority of genre was rarely blockbuster territory - many of what we might think of as classic major action movie stars (e.g. Chuck Norris, JCVD) mostly made films with at best middling box office takes, albeit profitable given the budgets. They had their time in the sun in the 1980s with stars like Stallone and Schwartzenegger, but subsequently dwindled away from being the really big release. They're still out there, you just have to look harder for them more towards the minor releases, and plenty may be direct to streaming.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They're still out there, you just have to look harder for them more towards the minor releases, and plenty may be direct to streaming.
The best part is that you don't even have to look much harder. Most of these you can find in a nanosecond.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, do rubbish Asylum films count? Though, they are more often fantasy or sci-fi.

(American Warships, I would recommend. By all accounts, the movie it was ripping off, Battleships, was much worse. But it was a sci-fi film)

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yes, everything exists "if you look for them." So technically it is not true that there are literally no American action movies ever being made ever. I was talking about like somewhat mainstream-ish at least part of the culture. And no I'm not counting Battleship or Universal Soldier sequels.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
One Day a Lion 7/10

Finally sat down and watched this the other night. I really enjoyed it. This was essentially a vehicle that Scott Caan wrote for himself supposedly to show off his versatility. Its weird looking at his back catalogue you've probably seen him in a lot of stuff, but haven't recognized him as James Canns son. He tends to only play supporting roles. I have to say I was really impressed with his acting in this. His mannerisms and dialog is the spitting image of a young james Caan.

One Day a Lion is a low stakes crime comedy starring Scott Caan and Marianne Rendón with JK simmons and Frank Grillo supporting.

Scott Caan plays a shmuck down on his luck whos kid is in jail waiting trial on a kidnappings charge and he needs money to pay for a lawyer. Frank Grillo offers to pay for the lawyer if he kills JK simmons who has an outstanding gambling debt. Of course everything goes wrong and hijinx insues. Despite the setup this is a pretty low-stress comedy.

Normally it's maybe a 6.5/10 it's solid, but Scott Caan really elevates it. He really emanates that classic James Caan low-key energy. I found the whole thing very charming so this is one of those situations where I'd say it's fairly skippable but if you really like James Caan I think you'd enjoy this one a lot. It was closer to an 8 than a 7 for me.