Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not Woo's best movie, but still enjoyable. He got screwed hard though, and was locked out of the editing room. So it's technically not even his, and is name only, despite having his signature staples.

Slightly better, but I have harder time going back to this one at times. Granted, I really only watch this one for the Hoffmeister. May he forever rest in peace.

Reactions: gorfias

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Challengers

Y tu mamá también meets Wimbledon. My patience was worn out around the 90-100 minute mark (movie is 130). I understand they're doing a cute metaphor about how the ball bounces back and forth in a tennis match by having the story bounce back and forth between the climactic match itself and the lives of the three main characters leading up to it; our understanding of their relationship predictably changing with every beat. I got the concept long before the movie was done illustrating it, and stopped caring about who would win the match long before the movie stopped caring too. I was left with a well-acted but ultimately overlong, low-stakes melo about a love triangle between Zendaya and the two "little white boys" she plays against each other.
I'm still on the fence about if/when I'm gonna see it. Since were here I do feel obligated to note my favorite Tennis movie.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Not Woo's best movie, but still enjoyable. He got screwed hard though, and was locked out of the editing room. So it's technically not even his, and is name only, despite having his signature staples.

Slightly better, but I have harder time going back to this one at times. Granted, I really only watch this one for the Hoffmeister. May he forever rest in peace.
Fun thing I just learned about MI 3. There was an explanation for what the Rabbit's Foot actually was planned, but every time the writers came up with an idea, it boiled down to "dangerous bioweapon", which they thought was boring. So they decided, in the end, to not explain it at all and actually turn Ethan not finding out what it was into a bit of a running joke.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So I'm watching Dr Strange multiverse of madness in the background while working I'm surprised on second viewing how bad the CGI is. NOt functionally bad but thoughtfully.

I'd really challenge anybody to go back and watch the Gargantos fight towards the beginning and try to pick out where the shadows should be.

fighting-wong.gif

it has minor shadows under its legs which are easily generated, but I can't for the life of me identify where the light source is in the battle. the monster, even on an overcast day, would be creating huge shadows all around it and the lighting on surfaces should change has it destroys the city, but everything looks clearly like static CGI objects.

I think the problem is a lot of shading like that is difficult to do with AI especially at scale. I have an uncle who was a lighting engineer on Toy Story and Bugs Life and I remember him talking about how that was like a year at time of 12 hours days drawing surfacing lighting. I'm sure we have incredibly advanced tools today but it still takes time. Without that time spent all the CGI in Dr Strange 2 just looks like Green screens and cartoon.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So I'm watching Dr Strange multiverse of madness in the background while working I'm surprised on second viewing how bad the CGI is. NOt functionally bad but thoughtfully.

I'd really challenge anybody to go back and watch the Gargantos fight towards the beginning and try to pick out where the shadows should be.

View attachment 11114

it has minor shadows under its legs which are easily generated, but I can't for the life of me identify where the light source is in the battle. the monster, even on an overcast day, would be creating huge shadows all around it and the lighting on surfaces should change has it destroys the city, but everything looks clearly like static CGI objects.

I think the problem is a lot of shading like that is difficult to do with AI especially at scale. I have an uncle who was a lighting engineer on Toy Story and Bugs Life and I remember him talking about how that was like a year at time of 12 hours days drawing surfacing lighting. I'm sure we have incredibly advanced tools today but it still takes time. Without that time spent all the CGI in Dr Strange 2 just looks like Green screens and cartoon.
We already all know that Disney is creating untenable timelines for animation and VFX studios to get these movies out. We've seen all of the cut corners, and unfortunately this is far from the most egregious.

Remember, they put this in a movie and thought it was fine:

1714607767123.png

The thing is, if these movies were more engaging then we probably wouldn't notice the bad CGI as much because we would be paying more attention to the characters and story. What's on screen just isn't engrossing enough to keep our attention from wandering, which allows our brains to notice all the things that are wrong.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
We already all know that Disney is creating untenable timelines for animation and VFX studios to get these movies out. We've seen all of the cut corners, and unfortunately this is far from the most egregious.

Remember, they put this in a movie and thought it was fine:

View attachment 11115

The thing is, if these movies were more engaging then we probably wouldn't notice the bad CGI as much because we would be paying more attention to the characters and story. What's on screen just isn't engrossing enough to keep our attention from wandering, which allows our brains to notice all the things that are wrong.
To be fair, MODOK’s flesh face looks ridiculous even in animated and comic form. No amount of CGI can make it look not stupid.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: gorfias

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
To be fair, MODOK’s flesh face looks ridiculous even in animated and comic form. No amount of CGI can make it look not stupid.
To be fair, there was no reason to even use Modok so if they couldn't make it look good they didn't need to put him in that movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

View attachment 11114

When's the last time you saw a (live-action) Marvel movie that had... lighting? Proper lighting tends to do a lot of heavy lifting for CGI, just look at the recent Planet of the Apes movies. Disney/Marvel however have the same investment in proper lighting as any commercial on TV.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Little Shop of Horrors, 7/10.

This is a fun, macabre little musical about a boy in a dingy flower shop who one day discovers a never before seen plant that feeds on blood, and all sorts of hijinks ensue. It's based on an off-broadway musical, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the source material.

The only knowledge I had of this film was Steve Martin's musical number about being a dentist and there being a killer plant involved. It didn't blow me away or surprise me, but it was a fun, breezy little romp. It's very light and fluffy, there's not much cerebral or thematic engagement or deep character exploration to be had with it, but it's not trying for that. It's got a pretty basic but fun plot, some absolute bops for music, a show-stealing performance from Steve Martin, and some straight up incredible practical effects. The animatronics/puppetry on display are legit some of the best work of their kind in all of film history. It's not gonna rock your world, but it's a very easy watch you can put on in any mood.

If there are criticisms beyond it being very light entertainment, it feels like the musical numbers don't really take full advantage of the medium of film. It feels very much like a recreation of a stage musical, and you can certainly tell. That's not to say it ignores the medium entirely: the shot from the inside of a dental patient's mouth is certainly something you can only do on film. But I felt there was something missing from the musical numbers. A bit of extra movement, some more playing with lighting and editing would probably have made a significant difference.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
So I went back to rewatch some bits of Rebel Moon part 2, because I was so plastered on the first go that I had a hard time recalling substantial chunks of it. I have now arrived at the conclusion that not only are these the worst movies Zack Snyder has ever made, they're straight up some of the worst movies ever made by anyone ever. They're an absolute, abject failure on so many fundamental levels: storytelling, internal logic, camera focus, dialogue, script, worlbuilding, the list just goes on. This is the kind of stuff that makes Michael Bay's Transformers movies look good. Legitimately Uwe Boll, Catwoman tier. Words honestly fail to describe the sheer magnitude of the shittiness of these movies. It's like a black hole of filmmaking.

Which version? IIRC, there's been quite a few.
The one I watched was a pretty even 90 minutes.

One thing I forgot to mention about Little Shop is that I honestly think it could make for a pretty effective horror movie if played straight. It already plays with pretty serious subject matter like spousal abuse, poverty, murder and sociopathy, so a more grounded non-musical with more emphasis on the cosmic horror would probably be pretty damn effective and unnerving.