Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

For the record, if I were to score this based on how much fun I had watching this, Eric Freeman alone would give it at least 3 stars.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
That sounds like a pretty accommodating stalker. It would’ve been more effective if he said, “When you wish you were dead, that’s when I’ll leave you alive.”

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Caddo Lake on MAX
This is my jam. Timey wimey stuff. Produced by M. Night Shyamalan!

When I went by bus from Basic Training in Texas to Tech school in Mississippi I had to travel through the swamps of Louisiana. Even 40-50 years ago, I was like, somebody throws you off a bridge into the swamp, aint nobody finding you! It took us hours to cross that swamp! Not perfect. Seems to have a few logic jumps. But sort of like John Connor going missing with his future unborn daughter trying to find him. I had a lot of fun with this one. B+

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
He Went That Way

A very strange movie. It's billed as a crime thriller and is based "mostly" on a true story, which is that in 1964 an animal trainer, driving down Route 66 with a chimp in a cage, picked up a hitchhiker who turned out to be a serial killer. But there's no tension to the story. The driver/hostage is fastidiously mild-mannered to the point he doesn't seem all that bothered by the situation. He could escape every other moment but doesn't; he nabs the killer's gun but then gives it back out of politeness ("We had a deal").

I'm not sure what's going on between the two or what I'm supposed to get out of the movie. I think the idea is that the trainer, in handling dangerous animals for a living, is somewhat equipped for dealing - that is, placating - dangerous and unpredictable criminals. But I'm not sure what's supposed to be going on between them. I don't know what Zachary Quinto is playing or where and in what spectrum is this dude. And Jacob Elordi as the killer is basically a young Matt Dillon impression, mixed in with some James Dean (which the movie references).

Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hell yeah! 🤘

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Transformers One. Watched something in cinemas for once, since my siblings were missing the experience of a movie trip. I thought it was a surprisingly gorgeous movie with decent celebrity voice acting. Definitely want more movies in this style, and hopefully without any humans.

If I had a qualm, it would be that Megatron and the Decepticon's origin story fell pretty flat. D-16 and Orion Pax had a lot of chemistry together and I was eagerly awaiting the emotional scene where two icons and eternal rivals are born, only to be met with kind of a wet fart.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Zodiac, 7/10

This is David Fincher's 2007 crime epic about the Zodiac murders in the 60s and 70s. It spans more than two decades of investigations and media coverage, and how it affected the people involved.

This is to my understanding one of Fincher's most acclaimed movies, but I thought it was just good. Its approach was a bit too clinical and procedural for my taste, and I didn't really find much to attach myself to over the meaty 2 h 30 min+ runtime. Due to it spanning such a vast amount of time its structure can feel a bit scattershot and going through the motions. Years will pass in a single transition, and characters can come in and out of the story for no more than minor plot purposes. Aside from Jake Gyllenhaal there's not really a satisfying central character arc to be found, and even that only really starts going like an hour through the film. Due to the history of the case a lot of the movie consists of characters delving into stuff you know isn't going to go anywhere, and in combination with the lack of a real emotional throughline it did lose my interest on occasion. Making a deliberately frustrating film that denies the viewer closure can work (I used that specific phrase when talking about Sorcerer), but only up to a certain length, and I think Zodiac pushes well past it.

That's not to say it's bad of course. It's still Fincher at the top of his game, and that brings all the typical hallmarks: all the acting is great, the period detail is immaculate, the visuals and music are top notch. There are a few absolutely sphincter-tightening scenes, especially one towards the end where nothing but the viewer's paranoia is used to create incredible tension. When Gyllenhaal's character arc starts going, it's incredibly engaging but also sad to watch as this man's obsession takes over his life. I just wish the movie had gotten to its great bits a bit earlier and maybe tightened up the procedural stuff some.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Hellboy: The crooked man

I went in ghast at the reviews. Ultimately I can say its "fine". Almost "good", if you're a Hellboy fan.

Theres a lot to like about HTCM, unfortunately not enough of it is on screen.

HTCM is co-written by the comics author Mike mignola, based on the comic of the same name and directed by Brian Taylor. One of those benefits the film.

The film takes place in 1950s spooky Appalachia where Hellboy gets dragged into battling The Crooked Man, a hanged scrooge returned from hell to collect souls.

The film is straight horror obtaining the comedy or adventure seen in the Del Toro films. This is where there will some divide between fans of the books and the average viewer.

The film does an excellent job of capturing the gothic tone of the books. Theres an excellent otherworldly scene with Hellboy meeting the Devil in the form of a gigantic raven.

Its not a "fun" film. Theres not a ton of action and a fair amount of walking and talking as the characters journey through woods and discuss folklore. It requires at least 15-20 minutes of patience before the direction of the story comes together. When it does especially in the last 30 minutes, its really everything a fan wants.

Unfortunately I need to talk about the douche in the room. Brian Taylor sucks. WTF is Brian Taylor? Jonah Hex ring a bell? Ghost Rider 2? Yeah its that guy. Great Value brand Zack Snyder.

HTCM sometimes looks like shit. Most of it shot during the day in very dull lighting. It really ruins the gothic tone and isn't spooky when its supposed to be. Hellboy looks terrible in this lighting. It reminds me of Joss wedons Justice League where he cranked up the contrast and the rubbery costumes became obvious. The causes the same issue where you can see the seams in hellboys fake suit. For the 30-40% shot at night he looks fine and in those moments the film is spooky as hell, however so it doesn't ruin the film.

Brian tries to emulate Ramis evil dead camera work, but in a slowburn film it just doesn't work because it doesn't do any angles or shaky cam for "effect" so you're left asking why you are looking at the underside of hellboys chin during a conversation and why it needed to be a snapcut.

Overall - Acting is good, story is good, the film slides back and forth between looking good, essentially for a low budget film, and making you wish theyd spent even less money ..on cameras and lighting.

6/10 you can probably skip it unless you really like Hellboy.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Paha Maa, 6/10

This is a finnish drama film from 2005. It's a sort of butterfly effect baton pass narrative that begins with a fired teacher kicking his son out of their home, and that son counterfeiting a 500 € bill. It then follows the effects that act has on several people's lives by switching the narrative POV to a new character who shows up in the previous character's story.

Some details out of the way first: the name of the film literally translates to "Evil Land", and it has narrative chapters named after lines from the song "Murheellisten laulujen maa", or "The land of sorrowful songs" in english. So based on that you know you're not in for a cheerful film. It's relentlessly bleak, miserable and depressing. It deals with all sorts of upbeat topics like child abuse, alcoholism, poverty, crime, murder, losing one's spouse and so on. And to me its angst factor just went overboard. Despite it being very restrained and not lurid or leering at all in its presentation, the nonstop barrage of misery without any reprieve just numbed me in the end. There's not really much to say about the characters, since they feel more like vessels for exploring different topics, and showing how everything sucks from their points of view. There's a failed vacuum cleaner salesman, a petty thief, a bisexual drug addict, a schoolteacher whose wife dies and more, but their stories being so similar in their tone kind of makes them all feel rather samey. Everyone's sad, depressed and struggling in some way, it's all very one note. I'm reminded of City of God in how that's also a multi-POV narrative dealing with similar-ish topics, but that film shows the full spectrum of life, not just the shit parts. Providing that contrast makes the dark stuff hit way harder.

It's not a bad film still. Its narrative structure is very engaging and I was always waiting to see where it was going next. The acting's all great, and it was interesting to look at this film as a time capsule. The places it was filmed have changed quite a bit in 19 years, so I was constantly looking at places I know, and seeing how they were before.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Goyo

A romantic drama about an autistic man, working as a museum guide, who falls for a woman, working as a museum guard.

The director usually makes these cheesy "unlikely couples" romcoms. He had one about a woman and a dwarf (played by a normal-sized actor via special effects/forced perspective) that I thought was a little fetishistic and basically presented an individual who was perfect in every way so the movie had nothing to do but wait for the woman to get over the height thing. Here we get a similar thing where, again, Goyo is done evolving as a character so it's up to the woman to do the emotional weightlifting and get over herself.

To be fair the movie mostly avoids treating Asperger's as an enlightening experience that the rest of the normies should be so lucky to attain. Goyo gets a few soliloquies about his condition but it's never treated as a blessing or a curse; he's done adapting to the world and vice versa. It really feels like just one more trait to an actual character.

The movie loses me a little bit in the last half hour when it recenters on Goyo's family drama (two half-siblings, dead dad, absent mom) and some mommy issues that really go unaccounted for. But at least we get a cute ending.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Joker: Folie á deux, 4/10

What a weird movie.

The extremely polarized reaction got me curious enough to go see this. Plus I want to support less formulaic and derivative big profile movies just out of principle. The verdict this time being that I'm glad I went to see it, but don't really need to ever watch it again.

I'm extremely conflicted about how to feel about this movie. There are ways to frame it as a meta masterpiece, a $200 million troll, the exact kind of movie Joker himself would make. On the more cynical side you can see it as a haphazard, creatively bankrupt bore that only knows how to throw spaghetti at the wall in the hopes that something will stick. It's clearly reaching for some big ideas and concepts, but either fumbles them all on purpose in some grand "fuck you" statement, or simply lacks the aptitude to actually use them properly. On paper it's really easy to justify some of the choices they made:
  • The musical numbers being framed through the lens of a frayed psyche makes total sense, and is actually really clever in bridging the ever-present issue with movie musicals: are the numbers diegetic or not?
  • This movie's version of Harley Quinn makes fits as an analysis and takedown of the idolatry the original movie created, echoing real-life such cases like the women who wrote Manson love letters.
  • The media circus Fleck finds himself in should be a great vehicle for some really incisive commentary on the media landscape, televized trials and the perversity with which we elevate psychopaths
But man, so much of it is just so boring. Like, this movie has maybe 85 minutes worth of story torturously stretched to over 2 hours for negative gain. Most of the first hour of it is just heard repeating information you already know and going through a psych analysis of Fleck anyone with a brain could have inferred from the first movie. I was genuinely dozing off when the scene where Joker decides to represent himself happened, and then the movie finally came alive. The second half is much more engaging, feeling like a gritty, high-budget episode of Batman: The Animated Series.

It's not a totally worthless film: it doesn't feel like a cash grab purely by virtue of it being so weird, and you can tell the people doing it actually cared. Phoenix is still great, even if his performance is much more subdued compared to the first. There's some great cinematography to be found, the 70s period detail is still enjoyable, and there's some real care put into the musical numbers. Unlike some people, I didn't find this movie to be that much of a "fuck you" to the people who really fell in love with the first.

But neither have I really an idea what it actually was. Maybe that's the joke: that the movie is as confused about its identity as Fleck himself is. It tries all sorts of things, and basically none of them work. There's work and care put into the musical numbers, but A) none of them really move the plot forward, they're more there to reinforce things we already know, and B) some of them are cut to so abruptly and out of nowhere that they feel more than anything like random inserts. The obvious attempt at deconstructing and analyzing the first film falls flat because the movie's sledgehammer subtle about it, and just repeats information we already know. The dynamic between Joker and Harley (or "Lee" in this case) being basically an inversion of their norm is interesting, but it feels inconsistent and limited. In the comics Joker and Harley can tear up Gotham on a rampage of super-crime, in this version the most they can seemingly do is petty theft and attempted prison escape. If the movie focused on it more and actually had some consequence to it, then it'd be a different story.

There is a rather poignant moment at the end where after the courthouse gets blown up Fleck ends up having to almost literally escape from himself. It's a really effective moment and a cool visual, and hints at a much more interesting film than what precedes it. Like most of what I listed in the above paragraph, it feels like it was thrown into the movie in the hopes that this random mish-mash would provide something great or at the very least interesting, but sadly neither really happens. What we ended up with was a confused, meandering, boring mess.

Lastly, my biggest piece of evidence for this being the kind of movie Joker himself would make is that it cost 200 million motherfucking dollars to make. I'm sorry, but there's got to be some sort of money laundering, tax evasion or budget theft going on here. The movie has like three locations, the main cast consists of maybe 10 people with Phoenix, Gaga and Brendan Gleeson being the only big names, and aside from the very end there's basically no big setpiece moments. Babylon, a notoriously lavish and visually indulgent film, had close to only half this movie's budget. What in the everloving hell happened here?

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm sorry, but there's got to be some sort of money laundering, tax evasion or budget theft going on here.
The cancel Batgirl movie says 👋 hello. It got canceled because of a tax loophole and Warner brothers. Stinking, they wouldn't get any money from it if they released it and paging all their bets on The Flash and Joker 2.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Perfect Days on Hulu

Follows a few days in the life of a Japanese janitor in Japan who appears to be mostly very content in his life. Very little actually happens. Almost without dialogue. It takes place nowadays. Yet he uses a film camera and cassette tapes. Gives you a peek at Japan. Very different place than the US.

I liked it. B.