• Total voters

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm curious about other films that others might have seen, where the language barrier is a major plot point, and when it was done well, the resolution of the barrier.
"Nell" with Liam Neeson (coincidentally) and Jodie Foster. Foster plays a woman raised in the reclusive wilderness with her twin sister; they develop their own language that Neeson discovers to be derivative of the broken English spoken by toddlers. Decent enough movie; I remember it mostly because you get to see Jodie Foster's boobs.

Reactions: happyninja42

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ooh, I know one! But even saying it probably counts as a spoiler. It's relatively recent and he isn't the main character, if that's enough of a non spoilery clue. I will now put it in double spoilers for anyone who doesn't care or thinks they seen it already...

Widows

Ok, just realised if anyone does care about spoilers, there's literally no way for them to know what film it is, so they essentially have to hope upon sheer coincidence and/or determination. *Sigh* sorry.
Lol, I have to watch this now. Any movie wherein Neeson isn't the "secret badass with a heart of gold" will be a breath of fresh air. ANY Neeson movie where I don't wish he was my dad will be a breath of fresh air.

IDEA! Liam Neeson and Tom Hanks star opposite one another in a film in which they both play morally ambiguous characters with the same, singular objective! 99% of the film's draw would be deciding which of the two to root for since both are about as wholesome as grandma's home-cooked meal wrapped in a hand job from a teddy bear.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
"Nell" with Liam Neeson (coincidentally) and Jodie Foster. Foster plays a woman raised in the reclusive wilderness with her twin sister; they develop their own language that Neeson discovers to be derivative of the broken English spoken by toddlers. Decent enough movie; I remember it mostly because you get to see Jodie Foster's boobs.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that one! I actually never saw it, but I remember it got a lot of buzz. About how Jodie spoke. 'Taaaaay, in the wiiiiind!" I've seen like little clips here and there, but I don't think I've seen the whole thing.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Personally, I'm really over the idea that aliens created humans, or influenced all ancient cultures or whatever, so the basic premise of Prometheus didn't appeal to me, on top of everything being terminally stupid all the time.

*thinks* Honestly, no I don't think so. I mean I've hardly seen his entire library of films but, I can't think of a time where he didn't play a good aligned character.
Batman Begins (depending on your POV), Huntsman: Winter's War (in that he's the narrator), and he voices Aslan in the Narnia films. Aslan is supposed to be good, but comes across as really evil in the second film.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Lol, I have to watch this now. Any movie wherein Neeson isn't the "secret badass with a heart of gold" will be a breath of fresh air. ANY Neeson movie where I don't wish he was my dad will be a breath of fresh air.

IDEA! Liam Neeson and Tom Hanks star opposite one another in a film in which they both play morally ambiguous characters with the same, singular objective! 99% of the film's draw would be deciding which of the two to root for since both are about as wholesome as grandma's home-cooked meal wrapped in a hand job from a teddy bear.
Hm, that idea reminds me of of the Lucky Number Sleven film where they had Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley playing against type as opposing paranoid Mob bosses awaiting under a hinted sword of Damocles of which the viewer is kind of encouraged to judge upon.
Tom Hanks also did a sleazy bad guy in the Coen Brother's remake of The Lady-killers, which I thought was a fun easy watching dark comedy, but apparently is not an opinion shared by others much. Though haven't seen the original, so maybe that's why...but if it hasn't got a scheming Tom Hanks with a sinister texan drawl, then why bother at all? (It's liberating to be able to say these film titles out loud this time) They just need an MCU Avengers style team-up and civil war now, albeit with a couple of required retcons...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
.....wow, I can't believe I forgot about that one. That's like my favorite batman film of all time, and I just blanked on him being in it.
But you notice how despite being technically the "bad guy," you still get the impression he's more misunderstood than overtly evil; there's still a part of him you feel is redeemable.

Hm, that idea reminds me of of the Lucky Number Sleven film where they had Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley playing against type as opposing paranoid Mob bosses awaiting under a hinted sword of Damocles of which the viewer is kind of encouraged to judge upon.
Tom Hanks also did a sleazy bad guy in the Coen Brother's remake of The Lady-killers, which I thought was a fun easy watching dark comedy, but apparently is not an opinion shared by others much. Though haven't seen the original, so maybe that's why...but if it hasn't got a scheming Tom Hanks with a sinister texan drawl, then why bother at all? (It's liberating to be able to say these film titles out loud this time) They just need an MCU Avengers style team-up and civil war now, albeit with a couple of required retcons...
I saw Ladykillers with Hanks, yes, but while he is a bad guy, he's a likable bad guy, with extra sweetener on the part of being the southern gentleman.

Fun fact, did you know Apple refuses to let "bad guys" use their iPhones in films?

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
But you notice how despite being technically the "bad guy," you still get the impression he's more misunderstood than overtly evil; there's still a part of him you feel is redeemable.
Eh, to a degree I guess. I mean knowing what his character is, in the comics, and his clearly stated goals, he falls WAAAY down that "well he has a point maybe" chart in my book. When all your fancy moral arguments end with "so that's why it's ok for us to kill them all." You've lost any high ground in my opinion. That's not misunderstood to me, that's someone who is genuinely evil, who is trying to justify his actions to himself and others.

I mean I get what you are saying, I just don't think it applies in his case very much, at least not as he's presented.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Eh, to a degree I guess. I mean knowing what his character is, in the comics, and his clearly stated goals, he falls WAAAY down that "well he has a point maybe" chart in my book. When all your fancy moral arguments end with "so that's why it's ok for us to kill them all." You've lost any high ground in my opinion. That's not misunderstood to me, that's someone who is genuinely evil, who is trying to justify his actions to himself and others.

I mean I get what you are saying, I just don't think it applies in his case very much, at least not as he's presented.
I don't disagree, just saying he's not played as a typical villain who's motives are purely selfish; he believes in the righteousness of what he's doing. Like Thanos in the MCU; he's not killing half the universal population simply because he wants multitudes dead; he believes he's doing the right thing.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't disagree, just saying he's not played as a typical villain who's motives are purely selfish; he believes in the righteousness of what he's doing. Like Thanos in the MCU; he's not killing half the universal population simply because he wants multitudes dead; he believes he's doing the right thing.
Yeah, though it seems that ultimately it was an ego thing for him, given the way he's just going to "remake everything in his image" motivation he has in End Game (after seeing opposition to his Great Work). Plus his idea of "kill 50% and All Is Well", is really lame from an actual population control angle. Given how quickly species' repopulate, it would only net like 100 years or so, before you're right back where you were. But yes, they use the "the best villains are the ones who think they are the Hero of their own story" trope for both of them.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The problem I think is that Alien is at heart two different stories that interconnect: The first story is that of the unknown, uncaring horrors of space and how you can never be prepared for it. The second is about how corporate greed will make the blue collar worker disposable if it makes a profit. The first is a timeless horror, that of the unknown, and the second is a horror that has only become more and more palpable for the last 40 years. So of course Alien will hold up well. Aliens, despite being a completely different genre, holds up for the same reason, because the horror is about how inadequate our weapons are against unknown threats and how corporations will risk hundreds of innocent lives if it makes a profit.

Prometheus? It is a story about an uncaring creator (both the actual aliens and mr. Weyland) and the extremes the progeny will go to to be recognized by their creator. That's not a visceral horror, that's a very intellectual horror and one that many of us, particularly those of us who aren't religious, won't have experienced or can really relate to in any meaningful fashion.
I'd say the problem with Prometheus is that it took what was brewing in the subconscious in Alien and put a very direct spotlight on it, robbing it of the audience's mind participating in the story. And not even just in regards to the horrifiying indifference of the universe, but also the relationship of the androids and their human masters. Ash in the first movie has this resentment toward humans, thinking they're idiots clouded by conscious, remorse, and morality. But because he's owned by humans there's little he can do about it; he still needs to follow their orders more or less. He's designed to be a slave after all. Then this creature comes along which is pretty much a machine itself - cold, calculated, and emotionless - and he sees it as the perfect organism, and a rightful master to serve. And he ends up bending the rules just enough to nurture it to its full potential.

None of this was really out in the open in the first movie, whereas in Prometheus David's whole android angst is just so blatant.

Reactions: deleted20220709

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I saw Ladykillers with Hanks, yes, but while he is a bad guy, he's a likable bad guy, with extra sweetener on the part of being the southern gentleman.

Fun fact, did you know Apple refuses to let "bad guys" use there iPhones in films?
I suppose he does still have that cartoonish charm to his character there, yup. Though personally, I'd still run if he were trying to sell me property or a "promising" job position, or even a hug.

Oh apple, oh corporate propaganda...ohhh capitalism you sly old poisonous cancer of a devil! That is news to me, but does entirely fit with the usual behaviour patterns rewarded by our infallible meritocratic system. To add to the new fact, did you know Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson both have contracts about how they can't be beaten in a fight, while their hits taken and given are limited too? "What happens when an unstoppable contract meets an immovable...contract?"

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I suppose he does still have that cartoonish charm to his character there, yup. Though personally, I'd still run if he were trying to sell me property or a "promising" job position, or even a hug.

Oh apple, oh corporate propaganda...ohhh capitalism you sly old poisonous cancer of a devil! That is news to me, but does entirely fit with the usual behaviour patterns rewarded by our infallible meritocratic system. To add to the new fact, did you know Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson both have contracts about how they can't be beaten in a fight, while their hits taken and given are limited too? "What happens when an unstoppable contract meets an immovable...contract?"

That doesn't surprise me honestly. I've always felt that The Rock, is actually something of a narcissistic egomaniac, based on some little behaviors I've seen of him in public and stuff. So I don't doubt at all, that he would demand he can never lose, I seem to recall another recent narcissist who hated losing. Don't really know Statham, but again, wouldn't really surprise me if it's true.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Did not know about that. Sucks; especially with Statham. Which is odd because there's plenty of times where a character of his got his ass handed to him, though not completely, or was not exactly on the winning end of a fight. I don't keep up with either of their films much anymore. That, and I am preferring Scott Adkins now.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Been watching The Dark Knight Trilogy throughout the month. Begins is the weakest for me due to pacing reasons, but I still like it. The hand to hand action sucks and it was clear Nolan was still green when it came to those type of fight scenes. The Dark Knight is still the best. Rises is great despite some obvious flaws. A great ending to a trilogy.

Begins is a C, Dark Knight is an S, and Rises is a B+.

I love the final battle in Rises. One of the most epic moments in cinema for me. Gotta gives props to Bale, Hardy, and Nolan improving on the hand-to-hand. He would perfect that in Inception and Tenet.

EDIT: Channel Awesome, Cinema Sins, and Honest Trailers can go all go fuck themselves. This movie is not bad. Y'all just love to hear yourselves biatch and act like the smartest people in the room.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I never really considered that aspect with Ash, though it is obviously right there in the movie. I've mainly considered Ash in extension of the reveal that the company had given Ash specific orders to keep the organism alive at all costs, including the sacrifice of the crew. To me that was always an anti-corporate (and pretty anti-technology/automatization) message, not a reflection of a being resenting its creators.

It all makes perfect sense though, especially since Prometheus and Alien: Covenant runs with the same theme.
Yeah, not seeing that myself. He was following orders/programming, not seeing any need to put active malice in there as well. Especially since later films establish synthetics being nice because they are programmed to be.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Wonder Woman 1984

Oh boy. Okay, so I was waiting for this sucker for ages. That first trailer was a hell of a thing and I was pumped. Then COVID and many other unrelated things happened. So I finally get to see it tonight. Movie was not what I was expecting, at all. But I will never know if that is because what I saw is what was intended or what happened with I presume Gadot and some others putting down a few strong merlots and sneaking into the editing suite.

Now for context I enjoyed watching the movie aside from....well again there's a lot of little things that bug me but don't break the deal but - and I suspect this has been discussed ad nauseam at this point - having Steve take over someone else's body and not just reappear was a staggeringly awful decision OR cutting whatever broader context surrounded it, if it was ever there. I mean other than that I was able to follow the film's train of bizarre logic well enough and I was pleased enough that they didn't just snap Max's neck like he's so famously remembered for.

My grandfather also got a kick out of Lynda Carter's cameo, cheeky and cheesy that it was.

I'm giving this 7/10, less collected and focused than the first one but toyed with some much bigger ideas - even if it did fuck them up according to consensus.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Tenet (2020)

Is dull. It should be hard to spend this much money on a film and it be this dull. I think it's trying to be clever, but as with all time travel plots, seems mostly an excuse to make shit up. Sure, the action scenes are fine, but mostly this film just chugs along with tedious exposition about stuff moving back and forth in time. Meh.

I do also have an issue. You know the old question if you have an axe, and after a few years you replace the handle, and a few years later replace the head, is it the same axe? Good question. It's relevant to this film.

Well, the issue here is that the same matter at a different point in time cannot occupy the same space. Okay. So feel free to punch future (past) you in the face. The matter in your hand is different matter from that in your face. If enough time has elapsed between you and future (past) you, feel free to rub yourself all over future (past) you. The people who write this shit might have thought through some physics, but they haven't thought through biology. You eat and breath and you excrete and breath, and all the time the contents of your body are being replaced. Your skin is formed by cells proliferating, dying to form flakes of fat and protein, and then just dropping off. In a few days-weeks, the surface of your skin is formed of completely different dead cells made of different molecules, in large part acquired from what you've been eating. A few years go by, and very few of the molecules in your body are the same - mostly I suspect those deposited in bone and teeth. If you want to make the argument that there's something somehow specially intrinsic about a "human" (or indeed anything else) separate from its constituent atoms, you may as well be talking about us having metaphysical souls. In this sense, there's a colossal fudge going on here.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Rewatched Prometheus. Still disappointed.
Yes. I'm amazed at the completely half-arsed crew, who basically seem to be a panicky and rash bunch of incompetent nitwits. I'm sure a high profile and expensive mission would have hired much more level-headed and thoughtful staff, but I guess it wouldn't make as much easy drama.