• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A one-night stand finds her lethally poisoned, and with her one day left, she seeks to find those responsible for her fate.
Minus the whole one night stand thing, that's freaking Crank. I might watch this movie, but like I said before, I already tire of John Wick clones. I appreciate return of stylized old school action myself, but get your own material people! Granted, I would still take this over all the Jason Bourne clones that came out around the mid 2000s and all the way to the mid 2010s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I might watch this movie, but like I said before, I already tire of John Wick clones.
Like said, it's pretty much on rails for this type of movie, but I enjoy these kinds of movies, the same way some like Super hero movies, sappy dramas or raunchy buddy comedies. For me, the value lies in the spectacle, so I don't really tire of them. But I understand completely how anyone can be over these types of movies, which is why I can't recommended it in good faith to any and everyone; I'm sure some our more pedantic members on here would easily shred this movie to bits!:sneaky:

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
HBO Max Cry Macho
91 year old Clint Eastwood is in this patchwork of scenes and ideas from much better movies (Gran Torino (2008) in particular).
He has scenes I have to think were written for a man 50 years younger than he currently is. He has a car chase or 2, a fist fight or 2, a young woman tries to seduce him. At 91! His heart shouldn't be able to take it! He apparently does have sex with a 50ish year old woman.

He is to take a young man from Mexico to go live with his father in Texas. I thought it dull. Much better movies out there. For huge Eastwood fans only. 5/10.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
007 No Time to Die
The one in which James learns to be a dad. Daniel Craig orders his last martinis as James Bond and gets into so much bloody murder it's almost unheard of. We get a bunch of Bond girls and a 007 girl (Lashana Lynch), who gets to quip with Bond as well as be the butt end of a few more. Léa Seydoux reprises as Madeleine and she acts as a catalyst for most of the sentimentality in the film - and there's a lot of it. Ana de Armas runs about in a supporting role that's as ridiculous as it gets. Lots of action, some of it gritty and some of it stylish, bullets fly and never hit the good guys, sometimes the viewer really has to figure out how out of all the 14 million chances the henchmen choose the one that gives Bond a chance. We get a nice bit of tension, all in all, but it would be nicer if it weren't so... transparent. And do the twists tie it all together? Not really. And while Bond will be returning it won't be Craig. His age alone makes nothing but a reboot possible. 7/10

edit. Oh yeah, Rami Malek and Christoph Waltz are fucking nuts. The acting in the film isn't too subtle, you can pick up the archetypes, and the insane megalomaniac is one of those for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Spectre

I did walk into this one with an open mind. I mean, I tried. But, with only three official James Bond movies left (OHMSS, Diamonds Are Forever, No Time to Die), this is the worst one I've ever watched. Without a doubt. The plot's generic of course, and bringing Craig's movies all together under one big bad comes off much less convincing than in Sean Connery's, where they teased the villains even before making them the villains, but mainly the issue for me is the lack of charm. Even the color and the music feel so muted, grey and joyless, kind of like James Bond himself. Then they end the movie all upbeat with Monty Norman's theme music roaring while Bond does something very Bond, like the movie up to that point even deserved it. It had moments that excited me, somewhat, but even some of those fall short of the more practical stunts and destruction in the old movies. Some of the action scenes actually also have a problem of excess. I wasn't even convinced by the love story. She knows him for half a movie and wants him to drop his assassin ways for her. Overall, the movie made me sad for the franchise.

Mediocre.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
007 No Time to Die
The one in which James learns to be a dad. Daniel Craig orders his last martinis as James Bond and gets into so much bloody murder it's almost unheard of. We get a bunch of Bond girls and a 007 girl (Lashana Lynch), who gets to quip with Bond as well as be the butt end of a few more. Léa Seydoux reprises as Madeleine and she acts as a catalyst for most of the sentimentality in the film - and there's a lot of it. Ana de Armas runs about in a supporting role that's as ridiculous as it gets. Lots of action, some of it gritty and some of it stylish, bullets fly and never hit the good guys, sometimes the viewer really has to figure out how out of all the 14 million chances the henchmen choose the one that gives Bond a chance. We get a nice bit of tension, all in all, but it would be nicer if it weren't so... transparent. And do the twists tie it all together? Not really. And while Bond will be returning it won't be Craig. His age alone makes nothing but a reboot possible. 7/10

edit. Oh yeah, Rami Malek and Christoph Waltz are fucking nuts. The acting in the film isn't too subtle, you can pick up the archetypes, and the insane megalomaniac is one of those for sure.
One of the worst things in action movies, and in James Bond a lot, are what I call "merciful bad guys" scenes. We can watch a 15 minute shoot out where 007 kills a million bad guys. The bad guys are all shooting at, but never hitting Bond. At that point, they may as well be noise makers. There's no tension to him being shot at (as opposed to say, Witness, where we can understand the danger and the odds against the good buy). And then, after 15 minutes of 007 killing a faceless large number of them, and them doing all that chasing and noise making, one gets the drop on him... and acts like he's trying to put Bond under arrest, saying, "put your hands up!" I can suspend disbelief maybe once in a movie. But, "Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)"? I think it happens a lot. Sad it predictably happens in this movie too.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Yeah, gunmen are so useless it makes most of the action pretty boring. Spectre had the same issue iirc. They sometimes even get the drop on him, multiple guys at once, and Bond has no cover -> every shot misses. Spectre had Dave Bautista as a very physical adversary and as usual there are a couple of "main" henchmen in No Time to Die, but one clearly can't match against Bond and the other goes out in a car crash. No trying to arrest him though -- the intent to kill is very much there. They just can't score a hit.

Reactions: gorfias

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I wish they'd drop the hypercars. They are ridiculous and don't even get damaged or thrown into high traffic situations much because they cost up to near a million dollars.

This one is in No Time to Die.

I suppose it helped that I didn't know the value of the DB5, how luxurious it was at the time. It looked classy and not too far out there. I could sort of be convinced by the British government paying for it.

One of the better car chases had Bond in a little crap-mobile.

Very dense chase too, in terms of other cars, people and roads, which the newer chases just aren't. I know there's too much money involved in what cars are featured.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Also, DOA, from 1950, which is public domain. The wiki entry for DOA even says Kate is a remake.
I've not seen the OG DOA. I should do that ASAP.

The public hated its 1988 remake but I thought it a lot of fun.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I wish they'd drop the hypercars. They are ridiculous and don't even get damaged or thrown into high traffic situations much because they cost up to near a million dollars.
The Valhalla is only shown in MI6's garage. The DB5 is in a high action chase as we know from the trailers. The DBS gets a scenic drive, and the coolest car ever made the V8 Vantage gets a couple of spins. The other big chase scene has Bond drive a Toyota Land Cruiser xD.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The Valhalla is only shown in MI6's garage. The DB5 is in a high action chase as we know from the trailers. The DBS gets a scenic drive, and the coolest car ever made the V8 Vantage gets a couple of spins. The other big chase scene has Bond drive a Toyota Land Cruiser xD.
Wow, four Aston Martins in one movie. I know they aren't all Bond's cars, but he is a strange fellow. A fanboy if I've ever seen one. Usually, car enthusiasts love more than one brand of sports car.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Venom: Let there be Carnage

I hate to do this, but I gotta recommend a hard skip on this one and I'm including fans.

It's a straight up train wreck and...it's boring. There's a minute long scene of Carnage escaping the prison and the last twenty minutes or so are Venom and Carnage fighting in a church. If you were here for non-stop symbiote action around a city with big stakes I'm just gonna save you $10. Wait til it's on streaming so you can just skip to those scenes which are the only enjoyable parts of the movie though I should caveat that with this movie being pg13. Theres a ton of shots that look like they started out bloody but were cut or blurred in editing.

The rest of the movie is a choppy disjointed mess of Eddie arguing with venom about not wanting to kill and random scenes painfully dragging the film from point A to point B. Person does exposition /scene. None of the dialog works and some of it is downright confusing. This is only 90 minutes long. There's a tangible sense that the movie was shot with at least 120 minutes and cut down likely to fit as many run times as possible per day. It feels like they cut everything that was not absolutely necessary for the film to function as a basic narrative.

I enjoyed the first venom film. It was just cohesive enough and contained enough action that I was like "meh this is fun". This one I skipped.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Watched The Many Saints of Newark

I'm divided with this movie....

Had its moments where I'm like "Yeah, I see you David Chase' brilliant writing" other moments are like "This doesn't even hold a candle to even the worse episodes of The Sopranos."

One criticism I have is I feel it was already an uphill battle for casting entirely new actors to play the cast of characters that were made iconic in the show. No matter how hard they try, its impossible to replace the actor that played Junior Soprano in the show compared to the film for example, so much to the point that they have to keep telling you this is Junior because he says lines from the show like:

"YOUR SISTER'S ****!!!!" when he gets hurt

But then I see moments where I'm like "yeah now this feels like The Sopranos I grew up with"

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Venom: Let There Be Carnage: YAY! / Great

Just saw @Piscian's review above, I PERSONALLY couldn't agree less. I had a lot of fun. They embraced the silliness and the film worked well as both an action movie and a buddy comedy. This is coming from a shameless Venom fan; I'll leave it to the overly-analytical pedants to rip it to shreds because "not perfect." 11/10.

I will take that $10, though, since you offered.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Venom: Let There Be Carnage: YAY! / Great

Just saw @Piscian's review above, I PERSONALLY couldn't agree less. I had a lot of fun. They embraced the silliness and the film worked well as both an action movie and a buddy comedy. This is coming from a shameless Venom fan; I'll leave it to the overly-analytical pedants to rip it to shreds because "not perfect." 11/10.

I will take that $10, though, since you offered.
Meh, I will only say I think am far from overly critical. I'm usually pretty forgiving if a film works, however I found myself mentally checking out with all the Eddie and venom back and forth. The most bizarre and pointless scene was the rave. I can't see how you were entertained he just stood around, it was so weird and dumb.

I was also wrong on the run time it was not even 90 minutes. It was 1h 26m. That would seem insanely short to me but then I remember there's zero build up in this. You'd think they'd at least have some mayhem in there somewhere. I'm glad you were entertained, I think I must have just fallen into a bizarro universe or something because I thought it was bad, like Justice league bad. Hell I think Amazing Spider-Man was better than this. The first one anyway.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Meh, I will only say I think am far from overly critical. I'm usually pretty forgiving if a film works, however I found myself mentally checking out with all the Eddie and venom back and forth. The most bizarre and pointless scene was the rave. I can't see how you were entertained he just stood around, it was so weird and dumb.

I was also wrong on the run time it was not even 90 minutes. It was 1h 26m. That would seem insanely short to me but then I remember there's zero build up in this. You'd think they'd at least have some mayhem in there somewhere. I'm glad you were entertained, I think I must have just fallen into a bizarro universe or something because I thought it was bad, like Justice league bad. Hell I think Amazing Spider-Man was better than this. The first one anyway.
Oh, I didn't say it was perfect; it certainly had its flaws, but I think it stayed true to its tone throughout, ton being fun. Agreed the rave scene was kinda out of place, but overall, it was a lull in an otherwise enjoyable watch [for me,] but I'm far from objective.