Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Mindhorn - (Bought but available to stream on Disney Plus)
A typical quirky Brit comedy from some minds behind The Mighty Boosh TV series, about a faded telly celebrity from a terrible looking 80s police show trying to make a comeback in the modern day when he's called by the real police to talk to an obsessed fan who may or may not be murdering people. There's a lot of Alan Partridge genes to be found here, with not least an actual side-role by Steve Coogan himself. And in that sense, it does follow a particular tried-and-tested narrative seen in other Brit comedies, so where it goes won't be surprising to those with a few of these under their belt. Nevertheless, it was a fun and charming distraction, some chuckles to be had if one's in the receptive state of mind.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The Gray Man
Dogshit. Got really, really boring after the hour mark. The big action scenes played out like ones from Uncharted.

edit. I mean the games. Though the movie is probably similar with the plane scene and whatever else. Like Drake in the games Six ducks in and around cover, snipes people with inhuman awareness, gets dazed instead of hurt and seemingly has infinite luck evading bullets, while doing sneak takedowns in other parts.

Last edited:

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
The Sadness, 4/10

Saw this purely out of curiosity, because the trailer 1. didn't feature a single word of dialogue, 2. showed some pretty intense gore, which I recently found out I'm pretty fond of.

While the film certainly delivers on the latter front, beyond that there's basically nothing special about it. It ultimately amounts to a Taiwanese adaptation of Garth Ennis's Crossed , ie. instead of zombies people are turned into sadistic cannibal murder rapists. And nothing beyond that. There's massive amounts of quite well done and satisfying splatter, and it's certainly a lot more depraved than your average zombie flick (blood orgies and skullfucking are both present), but the characters and plot are beyond basic and forgettable and there's some pretty cheesy acting towards the end. There's nothing memorable about the filmmaking in any respect, and it's definitely not scary. It's only about 100 minutes long, but it feels you could cut like 15 more out of it. It's really slow and uninteresting outside the gory parts, and I found myself checking my watch multiple times. All in all it feels like a movie that's at least 8 years behind the zeitgeist. There's some rather on the nose commentary obviously mirroring the Covid pandemic, but it's never taken in an interesting direction. Overall if you're a massive gorehound I guess there's worse to be had, but even then I'd recommend just watching a compilation on Youtube, since the gore effects are genuinely well done. But as a film it's just "whatever".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
People who watched British dance music videos would have seen him well before then. He did quite a few.

I can tell you, that my brother and I were not one of those people. We rarely watched anything British related. Especially before 2001.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What happened after 01?
Nothing special in that regard. Most British media we still haven't consumed much of. While I had more awareness of it as I got older. I looked at some stuff or tunes in to some things out of curiosity. If I enjoyed it, I enjoyed it. If I did not, I did not. I will say though that during 2001 and afterward, we became big fans of The Gorillaz. More so me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The End of Evangelion

Forty minutes into the movie and the only thing Shinji has done so far is jerk off.
I don't think the movie looks favorably on him for any of that though. He'll do some more later, but... it won't be much more positive.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Untouchables (1987)

Mentioned in the non-movie thread that I'd also watched Vienna Blood, which was set in 1906-7. As this is set in 1930, from the PoV of watching in 2022, it's almost the same era, which seems odd.

Anyway, good movie, some classic quotable lines and memorable scenes.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Untouchables (1987)

Mentioned in the non-movie thread that I'd also watched Vienna Blood, which was set in 1906-7. As this is set in 1930, from the PoV of watching in 2022, it's almost the same era, which seems odd.

Anyway, good movie, some classic quotable lines and memorable scenes.
Nitti: "I said that your friend died screaming, like a stuck Irish pig. Now you think about that when I beat the rap."

Ness: throws him off the roof "Did he sound anything like that?!"

STILL one of the most satisfying endings for a villain to me.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Ghost in the Shell (2017)

I don't really regret watching it, but I kinda do... as a standalone (complex... snrk snrk snrk) sci-fi film, it's alright, looks very pretty and is similarly confusing (and similarly forgettable), but as an adaptation, it sucks big donkey balls (which I somewhat expected, but I'm on a masochistic streak, apparently). Didn't mind the casting decisions in the grand scheme of things, it was interesting to see Pilou Asbaek as Batou. Well acted, even if it may not necessarily have been 'a good Batou'. Ah well, moving on...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Carol (2015)

Period lesbian romance drama starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara. Pretty well done.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Overlord

Really fun. Action-adventure WW2 flick (one of those simple "we need to blow up the radio tower by 0600" plots) that veers into horror/Wolfenstein territory halfway through. The premise sounds schlocky but it pulls through by never leaning too hard on the ridiculous and taking everything seriously. Like as far as the soldiers are concerned they're in a deadly serious war movie, not a dumb grindhouse knock-off. And I have a pet peeve for scenarios that are already horrible by themselves before they're made even grislier by the sudden and largely unexplained introduction of supernatural elements (see The Descent).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Overlord

Really fun. Action-adventure WW2 flick (one of those simple "we need to blow up the radio tower by 0600" plots) that veers into horror/Wolfenstein territory halfway through. The premise sounds schlocky but it pulls through by never leaning too hard on the ridiculous and taking everything seriously. Like as far as the soldiers are concerned they're in a deadly serious war movie, not a dumb grindhouse knock-off. And I have a pet peeve for scenarios that are already horrible by themselves before they're made even grislier by the sudden and largely unexplained introduction of supernatural elements (see The Descent).
Wow, this has got to be the least disaffected review I've read from you! Makes me want to watch this one. Then again, iirc, you liked Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, so my expectations will be tempered...

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Overlord

I've seen that one. It's adequate. At least it attempts to be a serious horror movie, unlike many B-movies that use their inherent cheapness as an excuse to not bother doing anything properly.

Reactions: BrawlMan