• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just saw WW84.........I FUcKING LOVE IT! What were people and critics complaining about again? It may not be as ground breaking as the first WW, but still good. There are some pacing issues, and the film did not need to be 150 minutes, but it's high up there with Aqua Man and Man of Steel. The sequel definitely has better and more fleshed out villains. DC/WB nails with humanizing the villains. You get why they're doing the bad things they are doing, but you're not supposed to agree with them. This is a comic book film while lighter than the first film, but is not a bad thing. This is a comic book film that embraces the sillier or more fantastical elements of DC. The movie does get serious, but not in a try hard fashion. I admit the ending choked me up, and made me tear up.

This film has done wonders on HBO Max and I already know the home video sales are killing it now. Gal Gadot, you've done way more than earn it. You are legendary. Get some rest; you deserve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Eh, considering how many engineers and scientists, flat out said "I was inspired to help pioneer X invention because of the cheesy old scifi shows I loved", I don't really mind as much. I mean Legal Eagle himself said the he loved watching law related stuff as a kid, and it was one of the things that inspired him to go into the legal profession. I mean I get it, the little bit of your brain that goes "that's not right!" , as I see it a lot now that I've worked in veteran's affairs for over 13 years. Military details about service, and characters of discharge and the like, are more noticeable to me. But I always try and beat that reaction down with the knowledge that "these aren't experts in the fields they are portraying, they are experts in the field of making movies/tv shows. They've already got enough on their plate with trying to just make a damn film, that I am willing to ignore them getting details wrong, or just flat out ignoring them, for the sake of the plot."
Yeah, at times I have to balance "This isn't meant to be a realistic depiction of X" with "They didn't do basic research for this" and "Weird/Stupid shit happens because plot".

I'm struggling with that right now playing the old Tomb Raider games, tying to balance the "This is meant to be silly and pulp" with "Seriously, how the hell does any of this make sense?" I'm planning on talking about it a bit more in a day or so when I get a chance.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I just saw WW84.........I FCUKING LOVE IT! What were people and critics complaining about again? It may not be as ground breaking as the first WW, but still good. There are some pacing issues, and the film did not need to be 150 minutes, but it's high up there with Aqua Man and Man of Steel. The sequel definitely has better and more fleshed out villains. DC/WB nails with humanizing the villains. You get why they're doing the bad things they are doing, but you're not supposed to agree with them. This a comic book film while lighter than the first film. is not bad thing. This a comic book film that embraces the sillier or more fantastical elements of DC. The movie does get serious, but not in a try hard fashion. I admit the ending choked me up, and me tear up.

This film has done wonders on HBO Max and I already know the home video sales are killing it now. Gal Gadot, you've done way more than earn it. You are legendary. Get some rest; you deserve it.
There was something off with the movie. I wonder if there is a Jenkins cut that fills in a couple of holes. This movie had such potential and one moment that hit more than anything in the entire DCEU. And I think one villain was done well, and the other was well developed at the start and then become pointless at the end. This had so much potential and just had some stumbling blocks at the end

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I just saw WW84.........I FCUKING LOVE IT! What were people and critics complaining about again? It may not be as ground breaking as the first WW, but still good. There are some pacing issues, and the film did not need to be 150 minutes, but it's high up there with Aqua Man and Man of Steel. The sequel definitely has better and more fleshed out villains. DC/WB nails with humanizing the villains. You get why they're doing the bad things they are doing, but you're not supposed to agree with them. This a comic book film while lighter than the first film. is not bad thing. This a comic book film that embraces the sillier or more fantastical elements of DC. The movie does get serious, but not in a try hard fashion. I admit the ending choked me up, and me tear up.

Main complaint most people bring up is the weird and unsettling implications of Steve taking over someone else's body rather than just....appearing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I think one villain was done well, and the other was well developed at the start and then become pointless at the end. This had so much potential and just had some stumbling blocks at the end
Maxwell is great. Cheetah is good, though cliche. The final fight scene I will defend. At least they are there in beginning and not vaguely hinted at and show up in the last 20 minutes. The film definitely could have used some editing down on the run time.

Main complaint most people bring up is the weird and unsettling implications of Steve taking over someone else's body rather than just....appearing.
I agree. They could have done away with that. There are theories that stone was already corrupting wishes, thus corrupting our characters, but it's not explored enough. The wish still could have brought Steve back normally and corrupted Wonder Woman, but like said, wasted potential in that regard and not delved deep enough. I prefer the HISHE version of that scene.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Maxwell is great and Cheetah was alright, though cliche. The final fight scene I will defend. At least they are there in beginning and not vaguely hinted at and show up in the last 20 minutes. The film definitely could have used some editing down on the run time.
I was pretty impressed with them both, Pascal is the more intense and emotionally invested one but I liked Cheetah, and that scene where Kristen Wiig changes in her office reminded me in a good way of the scene in Superman when Reeves is being Clark, then takes off the glasses and changes his posture and tone and suddenly he's Superman.

I agree. They could have done away with that. There are theories that stone was already corrupting wishes, thus corrupting our characters, but it's not explored enough. The wish still could have brought Steve back normally and corrupted Wonder Woman, but like said, wasted potential in that regard and not delved deep enough. I prefer the HISHE version of that scene.
Yeah, its honestly the biggest oof in the movie. Other than that, I'm getting my 4K steelbook.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, its honestly the biggest oof in the movie. Other than that, I'm getting my 4K steelbook.
Oh, that was... a WTF? how did this get passed the proof readers.

I also forgot the silliness of a golden armour with wings.... straight after learning how to fly. And the flying scene was... not great. I understand it was meant to be uplifting... I was not uplifted

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
What were people and critics complaining about again?
I know this question is rhetorical so I won't answer it.

Steve's bodysnatching wasn't the biggest issue by far. For example defending the final fight scene is a disastrous take and if you are genuinely surprised why people think it sucks then there is no hope for you to find movie criticism worthwhile. And before you claim to not care: you clearly do care as far as a pointless forum discussion goes.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh, that was... a WTF? how did this get passed the proof readers.

I also forgot the silliness of a golden armour with wings.... straight after learning how to fly. And the flying scene was... not great. I understand it was meant to be uplifting... I was not uplifted
The armour is from Kingdom Come, but here has a completely different origin so its just a borrowed design. As for that thing with Steve? I have no idea. I'm fairly confident you'd find this issue in lots of other movies - don't think too hard about Multiplicity with Michael Keaton - and as an irony if the movie had been made when it was set I doubt that plot point would have received much attention.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know this question is rhetorical so I won't answer it.

Steve's bodysnatching wasn't the biggest issue by far. For example defending the final fight scene is a disastrous take and if you are genuinely surprised why people think it sucks then there is no hope for you to find movie criticism worthwhile. And before you claim to not care: you clearly do care as far as a pointless forum discussion goes.
I like the final fight scene, deal with it. I know my own standards better than anyone else and better than you. If you don't like it fine. I know a good movie and I know a bad movie when I see one. Life's too short to get negative and cynical about everything. I get why people don't like it and I understand. It does not bother me nor do I care much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Look, if you're giving me the superior attitude just because I like a movie you don't. I'm going to stop you right now and say I do not give a shit. So you can screw off with that whole, "My views are superior cuz I like or dislike this movie you don't!". Be more mature about it. But it's pretty clear you're not going to. So I have nothing else to say. You have a good day.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, at times I have to balance "This isn't meant to be a realistic depiction of X" with "They didn't do basic research for this" and "Weird/Stupid shit happens because plot".

I'm struggling with that right now playing the old Tomb Raider games, tying to balance the "This is meant to be silly and pulp" with "Seriously, how the hell does any of this make sense?" I'm planning on talking about it a bit more in a day or so when I get a chance.
Yeah, I usually try and limit my anger about such elements to when the film directly contradicts their own established "rules." Like, zero gravity might not work that way at all, but they say it does, ok fine. But...wait a second, in the climax of the film, they do something that directly contradicts that! The example I always use to where I draw the line of BS, is where a movie is based on mars, and they establish that the hero, because gravity is so low, can easily lift a vehicle over his head with one hand. Now, people familiar with physics would likely go "ok no, it's only 1/3 of the weight, it's still fucking heavy, the human body still couldn't lift that much that easily." But, you know it's a scifi movie, so whatever. BUT, then, at the end, they have the hero, holding onto the hand of someone about to fall to their death, and they show him struggling to lift the person. Now I've never seen a film do that exact scenario, but it's just what I like to use to convey the point where I will totally stop suspending my disbelief about the rules of a movie, and call them out. They can't even be consistent with their own made up shit! Foul!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The example I always use to where I draw the line of BS, is where a movie is based on mars, and they establish that the hero, because gravity is so low, can easily lift a vehicle over his head with one hand. Now, people familiar with physics would likely go "ok no, it's only 1/3 of the weight, it's still fucking heavy, the human body still couldn't lift that much that easily." But, you know it's a scifi movie, so whatever. BUT, then, at the end, they have the hero, holding onto the hand of someone about to fall to their death, and they show him struggling to lift the person. Now I've never seen a film do that exact scenario, but it's just what I like to use to convey the point where I will totally stop suspending my disbelief about the rules of a movie, and call them out.
One of the Thor movies, a normal human can swing a car around because it's been made without mass somehow, but when they hit someone with it it hits them like a car of normal mass?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
What were people and critics complaining about again?
Because it wasn't very good; it's just a complete mess of a film from the rape to horrible end sequence that looked like it was filmed in the basement of a hospital or something with a fan blowing on Gal Gadot and she rolled a 1 on that performance check as well.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
One of the Thor movies, a normal human can swing a car around because it's been made without mass somehow, but when they hit someone with it it hits them like a car of normal mass?
That was Thor the Dark World. No one really cares about that one. I mean I like it but I'm a mutant.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Because it wasn't very good; it's just a complete mess of a film from the rape to horrible end sequence that looked like it was filmed in the basement of a hospital or something with a fan blowing on Gal Gadot and she rolled a 1 on that performance check as well.
In your opinion and those I disagree with. It was mostly a rhetorical question. I pretty much got the idea why.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yes, that kind of thing. Though I'm drawing a blank on that example specifically? Was it in Dark World? I didn't see that one.

That was Thor the Dark World. No one really cares about that one. I mean I like it but I'm a mutant.
Ah, that answers that then. Who was the normal human that threw a car?! I mean I can sort of allow super strength, as spiderman and cap america both have clearly lifted insane weights canonically, but, a normal human swung...a CAR???!!

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Ah, that answers that then. Who was the normal human that threw a car?! I mean I can sort of allow super strength, as spiderman and cap america both have clearly lifted insane weights canonically, but, a normal human swung...a CAR???!!
In a sense, a problem I have with that is often that although a character can have super-strength, physics should also apply, e.g. equal and opposite force. The superhero can't pick a car up and swing it that way because they don't have leverage; the disparity in mass and force would simply cause them to move, not the car. If they try to slow that train down, the friction they can generate with their feet on the ground is utterly trivial in terms of the momentum of hundreds of tons of train, never mind that if they did exert that much deceleration, the force it would exert on part of the train not designed to cope with it would cause a critical structural failure.

I know at one level this stuff "doesn't matter", and it doesn't really bother me much. And yet I can't help notice.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
In a sense, a problem I have with that is often that although a character can have super-strength, physics should also apply, e.g. equal and opposite force. The superhero can't pick a car up and swing it that way because they don't have leverage; the disparity in mass and force would simply cause them to move, not the car. If they try to slow that train down, the friction they can generate with their feet on the ground is utterly trivial in terms of the momentum of hundreds of tons of train, never mind that if they did exert that much deceleration, the force it would exert on part of the train not designed to cope with it would cause a critical structural failure.

I know at one level this stuff "doesn't matter", and it doesn't really bother me much. And yet I can't help notice.
Oh I'm aware of that, my only point is that nobody in the entertainment industry is worried about making things 100% accurate, because that's not what they are doing. They are simply trying to tell you a fun/cool story, and they've got maybe 2+ hours to do it. I mean if they did things like biology and science 100% right in films, then any film with a biological agent, would be the most boring thing ever. As it would consist of shots of YEARS worth of tests and samples, and people in labs, just looking at shit, and gathering data, and having it peer-reviewed, and nobody wants to see that. So, they instead have it be a quick, 2 hour montage of them solving the virus problem, that same day, and poof, the good guys win, roll credits. And while some of them do make an effort to be at least somewhat accurate, and pay for experts as consultants to get details right, in the end, all realism will be sacrificed on the altar of the story and plot. And rightly so, as I'm not going to watch Spider-man 2 for a scientifically accurate depiction of a human trying to slowly friction down the velocity of a New York train. He spreads out the stress load along dozens of weblines, also applies his feet to try and further reduce the momentum via friction, and becomes the central stress point to accomplish this. Yeah it's total BS, but so is a guy with web glands in his wrists, and super powers in general. So I don't really care that, after all those other unrealistic factors are glossed over, they don't get the physics of stopping the train right either. My entertainment brain can buy the "spread the load" logic, and they clearly show it's a slow, long process, and that's fine for me.

My question that you quoted though, was a legit question, assuming that actually happened in Thor: Dark World, where a plain vanilla human threw a car. I am curious who that was, and in what context?