Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
ITMT, my wife walked in on this one and was very disturbed by how much more... IDK, unregulated? it appears to be next to boxing.
Compared to boxing it is less regulated, although it has tightened up significantly from its earlier days.

Martial arts as commonly practiced are basically sports, rarified to certain, limited moves. Obviously so: there's stuff athletes can't do that a fighter would in a real fight, because sports can't afford to have their athletes seriously injured (potentially permanently). The attraction of MMA is that it more represents a real fight, because in real life, your opponent is going to try anything that works, not restrict themselves to inefficiencies like fists / grappling only.

However, the nature of being closer to a real fight therefore makes it more visceral - unpleasant for people who don't like fighting, and attractive to those who do. There is a certain segment of the populace that particularly valorises strength, fighting, discipline, and that's often the far right. As MMA heavily appeals to them and forms part of their recruitment, so MMA will reflect them in return as they are a substantial proportion of the audience and competitors.

I used to watch boxing. As I got older, the more I became ambivalent, given the nature of two people inflicting pain and damage on each other. I'd still say boxing or MMA is well within the bounds (as a well regulated sport) of what people should be allowed to do with themselves and others as consenting adults. It also potentially provides a useful outlet for aggression within safe limits. But nor can I avoid the feeling that there can often be something distinctly unhealthy in atmosphere around some martial arts, too.

Reactions: gorfias

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok, I'm all caught up. Can someone please explain how the Mandalorian got Grogu back? Season two ended with Luke taking Grogu, then season three starts and he's just suddenly back with the Mandalorian. Is this one of those situations where it's explained by actions taking place in another SW show like the MCU loves to do?
Yes. The Book of Boba Fett show dedicated a couple of episodes focusing on Mando. All I remember is that Luke gave Groku the option to continue training as a Jedi with Luke or go back to Mando and he chose the latter.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yes. The Book of Boba Fett show dedicated a couple of episodes focusing on Mando. All I remember is that Luke gave Groku the option to continue training as a Jedi with Luke or go back to Mando and he chose the latter.
Now see, that's bullshit. That's a pretty significant plot point seeing as the entirety of The Mandalorian show was predicated on Mando keeping Grogu safe and getting him to a Jedi; to kick off season 3 without even so much as a nod to events that effectively undid the efforts of the first two seasons... ugh, that's really frustrating. If they think that's going to make me feel the need to watch The Book of Boba Fett and all the SW shit they've woven together, they've got another thing coming. But thanks for clarifying.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Now see, that's bullshit. That's a pretty significant plot point seeing as the entirety of The Mandalorian show was predicated on Mando keeping Grogu safe and getting him to a Jedi; to kick off season 3 without even so much as a nod to events that effectively undid the efforts of the first two seasons... ugh, that's really frustrating. If they think that's going to make me feel the need to watch The Book of Boba Fett and all the SW shit they've woven together, they've got another thing coming. But thanks for clarifying.
Well, yeah. Whatever plot of Mando existed is gone. I'm just sticking around for the pew pews and wizz bangs.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Kevin Can F*** Himself episodes 1 & 2

This show ran for two seasons (I'm pretty sure it's done or canceled) but I been meaning to check it out for a while because it's got a weird meta-premise and stars the actress that played the daughter in Schitt's Creek.

So my understanding is that the inspiration for this show comes from this sitcom that had Kevin James from the King of Queens, but it was another sitcom. And the first season his character had a wife but then they killed her off screen before season 2 cause they didn't really know what to do with her (and then eventually brought in his wife from King of Queens).
All this to say, the show plays with the sitcom trope of having a big dumb fat "lovable" man-child with a smokin' hot wife who is responsible and handles all the grown-up stuff but gets to occasionally make wise-cracks while acting as the kill joy. I would guess Honeymooners as the ur-sitcom for this, King of Queens as the most prominent example. This is also the basis for The Simpsons and Family Guy's satire.

But this show is not a sitcom- rather it's a dark comedy. The hook is that whenever our main character- the put-upon wife- is on-screen with her Kevin James-alike husband, it is told like a sitcom, laugh-track included. But when he's not around, it is a single-camera gritty docu-drama style. So start with the premise of "what is the internal life of the poor wife" and follow that thread.
The result is really jarring and I don't yet how much of it is on purpose. The "sitcom" parts are really weird because, what are we doing here, are we making fun of sitcom tropes? Well that can't be sustainable for more than a few episodes, right? Are we supposed to be enjoying the escapism? But we know she's depressed inside so on the contrary, is it one of those art things where we're supposed to feel a little guilty for watching TV like Mullholland Drive or something? I dunno.

I'm gonna keep going because I wanna see where this goes but I don't know if it's good or not yet.

Reactions: Ag3ma

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
First off, yeah, Boba Fett was pretty fucking wierd in itself, a show that had no idea what it wanted and gave like 25% of it's runtime to the Mandolrian for more mando content on top of that, because mando doesn't have enough to work with or something.

Beyond that, this is all getting intertwined the further it goes.

Mando is currently setting up the return of Thrawn, who is probably gonna be a big deal in the next movie or three.
Ashoka is gonna draw very heavily from Rebels from the look of it.
Rebels and Bad Batch pull a lot from Clone Wars.
Bad Batch seems to be setting up the cloning program that brings back palpatine(as well as showing what happened to the clones after the clone wars were over).
Andor is mostly there to show the Rebellion starting to work together, which Rebels was doing from a different angle.

Hell, they threw in that wierd Darth Maul Cameo in Solo despite that being a thing that was previously only in Clone Wars and Rebels, though to be fair you can pretty much Ignore Solo as far as I can tell and miss nothing.

It's great for people who liked the animated shows and follow them. It sucks for people who didn't because it wasn't their thing or they only have time to follow certain things. I think Disney kind of listened when people said they hated how disconnected the Sequel trilogy was to itself and now all the shows are linked to each other in some way or another, marvel style.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
First off, yeah, Boba Fett was pretty fucking wierd in itself, a show that had no idea what it wanted and gave like 25% of it's runtime to the Mandolrian for more mando content on top of that, because mando doesn't have enough to work with or something.

Beyond that, this is all getting intertwined the further it goes.

Mando is currently setting up the return of Thrawn, who is probably gonna be a big deal in the next movie or three.
Ashoka is gonna draw very heavily from Rebels from the look of it.
Rebels and Bad Batch pull a lot from Clone Wars.
Bad Batch seems to be setting up the cloning program that brings back palpatine(as well as showing what happened to the clones after the clone wars were over).
Andor is mostly there to show the Rebellion starting to work together, which Rebels was doing from a different angle.

Hell, they threw in that wierd Darth Maul Cameo in Solo despite that being a thing that was previously only in Clone Wars and Rebels, though to be fair you can pretty much Ignore Solo as far as I can tell and miss nothing.

It's great for people who liked the animated shows and follow them. It sucks for people who didn't because it wasn't their thing or they only have time to follow certain things. I think Disney kind of listened when people said they hated how disconnected the Sequel trilogy was to itself and now all the shows are linked to each other in some way or another, marvel style.
Ugh, no thanks. I'm not getting involved in all that. I started The Mandalorian out of curiosity, not to get into a cult with a bunch of Star Wars nerds suckling Micky Mouse's swollen teats for space fantasy nourishment. (No offense to Star Wars nerds.)

Reactions: Dalisclock

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Opening crawl : "Once upon a time". Noisily pours a chest of old star wars toys in the ground. "To be continued."

SW scriptwriter is a dream job.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Caught up on Ted Lasso season 3. They pulled a fast one and released the latest episode a day early, and me being away last week was thinking I was behind and we’d be getting a new one yesterday, but alas.

Anyways, Roy’s bit about how to get back at a bully had me reeling. You know that laugh-so-hard-you-can’t-breathe feeling? Yeah, that. I should clarify that it wasn’t just what he said, but the tone, and the looks on everyone else’s face that made it golden.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
SW scriptwriter is a dream job.
Or a nightmare. You can envision some typical Hollywood type lazily banging out whatever comes to mind because "quantity over quality" is the mantra handed down by execs, but I also envision a sweat shop where undocumented migrant works are worked day and night, chained to the typewriters (they don't get laptops) and forced to write, and their knuckles get whipped anytime they dare to stop and take a breath.

Caught up on Ted Lasso season 3. They pulled a fast one and released the latest episode a day early, and me being away last week was thinking I was behind and we’d be getting a new one yesterday, but alas.

Anyways, Roy’s bit about how to get back at a bully had me reeling. You know that laugh-so-hard-you-can’t-breathe feeling? Yeah, that.
Yeah, Roy's rant was incredibly funny. We had to pause it get our laughter under control for fear of missing the rest of the show. That dude scares me as much as I love him. Another bit that had me rolling was when Higgins was reading a text someone sent him about how bad Richmond has been, something to the effect of "you suck more ass than your father," and said the text came from his own mom! 😂

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Or a nightmare. You can envision some typical Hollywood type lazily banging out whatever comes to mind because "quantity over quality" is the mantra handed down by execs, but I also envision a sweat shop where undocumented migrant works are worked day and night, chained to the typewriters (they don't get laptops) and forced to write, and their knuckles get whipped anytime they dare to stop and take a breath.
Or maybe apes. If you have enough apes with typewriters you gt Shakespeare, if you don't have enough you get Star Wars.

Somewhat less flippantly, while AI script writing is rubbish, the bar is set pretty low here...maybe?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Yeah, Roy's rant was incredibly funny. We had to pause it get our laughter under control for fear of missing the rest of the show. That dude scares me as much as I love him. Another bit that had me rolling was when Higgins was reading a text someone sent him about how bad Richmond has been, something to the effect of "you suck more ass than your father," and said the text came from his own mom! 😂
I think it was “Richmond eats more ass than your mum” and IIRC it was from his dad lol. Would have to watch again to be 100% sure though.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ok, I'm all caught up. Can someone please explain how the Mandalorian got Grogu back? Season two ended with Luke taking Grogu, then season three starts and he's just suddenly back with the Mandalorian. Is this one of those situations where it's explained by actions taking place in another SW show like the MCU loves to do?
Yup. Worse, it happens in a significantly worse show.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
But nor can I avoid the feeling that there can often be something distinctly unhealthy in atmosphere around some martial arts, too.
The atmosphere in martial arts clubs can walk a rather tight line. No club wants a bunch of dickheads who join just so they can pick a better quality of fight or god help us, make them more dangerous in the fights they already pick but if they want to make sure their students are capable of defending themselves from danger, it is necessary to teach them to be able to act aggressively in their own defence. Now some clubs try and temper it with a meditative philosophy but that's earned - fairly or otherwise - a reputation for being incapable of being effective self defence. So then you have clubs who strip most of the fluff and just drill the techniques and emphasise a hit hard, hit fast mantra instead. So, pick your poison but the end result is these systems were designed to help a person fight, even kill if required, to preserve their own life and there's only so much sugar you can coat that pill with.

Anywho:

Hogan's Heroes.

Okay look, this shit is funny. Any time the Nazi's get mocked, its funny. Hell the show is even kind of egalitarian about stuff like race - my brief reading seems to indicate Luftstalags were segregated - with Kinchloe being not only black but also essentially the 2IC of the Heroes and clearly a man of intelligence and skill, and the notion that not every civilian German was a goose stepping Nazi. The plots can be a bit repetitive but its great, breezy background noise when I'm doing dishes or making a meal.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The atmosphere in martial arts clubs can walk a rather tight line. No club wants a bunch of dickheads who join just so they can pick a better quality of fight or god help us, make them more dangerous in the fights they already pick but if they want to make sure their students are capable of defending themselves from danger, it is necessary to teach them to be able to act aggressively in their own defence. Now some clubs try and temper it with a meditative philosophy but that's earned - fairly or otherwise - a reputation for being incapable of being effective self defence. So then you have clubs who strip most of the fluff and just drill the techniques and emphasise a hit hard, hit fast mantra instead. So, pick your poison but the end result is these systems were designed to help a person fight, even kill if required, to preserve their own life and there's only so much sugar you can coat that pill with.
For what I know, (at least in Greece) martial arts clubs, just like gun enthusiast societies and football supporter clubs, are good recruitement grounds for very extreme-right groups.

Anyway, yeah, Hogan's Heroes is great. And Werner Klemperer is an awesome person (he's the son of Victor Klemperer's cousin Otto, quite a family).

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The atmosphere in martial arts clubs can walk a rather tight line. No club wants a bunch of dickheads who join just so they can pick a better quality of fight or god help us, make them more dangerous in the fights they already pick but if they want to make sure their students are capable of defending themselves from danger, it is necessary to teach them to be able to act aggressively in their own defence.
I get that, although I would suggest there's a difference between martial arts and self-defence. I do a martial art, just one that's borderline useless in any circumstance you're likely to to find yourself in, or where bits of it may be theoretically useful, could stretch principles of reasonable and proportionate force.

Besides, the ultimate self-defence is not getting into a fight in the first place.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bad Batch Season 2.

What confusing show. On a good day, it's genuinely the best 3D cartoon ever made. On a bad day, it's generic, mediocre, boring mess.

I don't understand why they couldn't have just kept the fantastic episodes and completely cut out the filler. It would have improved the overall product, AND been cheaper. Although, admittedly there are episodes that have absolutely fantastic sound and visual design, but have a plot that come off as AI generated.

I suppose the only consistent part of the show is that Omega is an annoying piece of shit, and season 3 needs to address that. Yes, she is more capable now, but my God is she one stupid ************.

Anyway, still glad it exists. The glow up this animation style has had since in the early days of The Clone Wars (hell, even the later and best episodes of TCW) is insane.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Haven't watched any of it, [HBO's Succession] but you can guarantee that whoever's in prime position at the start of the season won't be at the end.
Did you ever write a mouthful. Holy moly. The show has Brian Cox playing a media tycoon who is old. He has 4 kids (one of the a half sibling) and he plays the puppeteer with them, all jockying for position and favoritism. The 1st Season he has a serious health scare. Cox is 77 in real life and looks it. Well, spoiler if you ever watch it.
So, 29 episodes in 3 seasons with Cox the brilliant media mogul above it all.
1/2 way into episode 3 of season 4, with presumably 6 or 7 more episodes to go and,
Cox suddenly dies of natural causes on a plane trip on the way to do a major deal.
So, he was primary for 3 seasons and 2.3 episodes of season 4 but he sure as heck isn't anymore.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hawkeye (3/5)

As I type this, I'm about 20 mins from the end of the series, so it's hypothetically possible that my view could change, but I'm really not counting on it. This series is just dumb. It's dumb because regardless as to whether you treat it as a comedy or not, it's still dumb.

If I'm treating this as a comedy, it doesn't work that well. Clips from YouTube might lead you to think this is a buddy comedy, but while Kate and Clint might be called "buddies," the "comedy" part is lacking. Sure, there's some individual comedic moments (some of which undercut the drama), but to call this series a "comedy" is to give it too much credit, and there's moments that are just cringe more than anything (e.g. the larpers).

On the other hand, if I'm treating this as a serious action/drama series, then it doesn't really pass the test for being action/drama. Action, sure, there's one decent chase scene, that's really about it. Drama? Not really. Things are either a farce (one of the main antagonistic forces is "the Tracksuit Gang") or underdeveloped. For instance, in a six episode series, the main big bad turns out to be the Kingpin, who appears at the end of the penultimate episode, and has a final showdown with Kate in the next. That's really not how you set up a big bad, because ideally, there's far more buildup then, well, no buildup at all.

Now, if there's issues with a story's script or whatnot, sometimes that can be salvaged by the actors. However, while Hailee Stienfeld does a decent job as Kate, Jeremy Renner and Florence Pugh just look bored, like they're sleepwalking through their roles for the paycheck. If that's the case, I can't say I blame them (especially since Renner's been in this role for over a decade), but regardless of the reasons for their performances, it doesn't change how dreary they are.

So, yeah. Suffice to say, the show's arrow doesn't hit the bullseye.