Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The impression I got, for why Zaheer was OP out of the gate, aside from "we don't have time to show him learning and need him to be a threat right now" was that his mentality of anarchy and no attachments, made him ideally suited to just "Get" airbending. A natural savant you might say. Like Mozart playing a piano at 5 without any training or whatever. It's flimsy but...*shrugs* it's hardly the biggest issue I had with that show.
It explains some of it. Zaheer's clearly versed in Air Nomad culture. But that can only go so far to explain his skill. Nor does it explain how he was apparently in the same company of uber benders prior to this when he possessed no bending of his own. Was he, like, the Sokka to the Red Lotus?

Yeah they did state that, about them being examples of all the 4 elements taken to their dangerous extremes. I just think they did it poorly with Zaheer. His idea of anarchy is about as rudimentary and basic as...well any example of anarchy in popular media, so it falls flat really quickly as a "better model" for a society, since it's just "fuck all the rules". I found it interesting because they'd already done that with the original series very well. You had the tyrannical, authoritarian nature of earthbending gone bad, firebending is an obvious one of ambition and intolerance. Waterbending had the blood bending, robbing you of your free will angle. Airbending was really the only one that didn't already have an example, for obvious reasons. And, while I get the concept of it, the execution I felt was very lacking with Zaheer.
So, I agree that Zaheer's anarchy philosophy is fairly underbaked - mostly "remove all the world's leaders and countries, freedom!" I'll at least give credit that in the context of the series, it's a philosophy you can see emerging, in that in both series, there's no shortage of terrible rulers.

However, I don't think the original series is taking elements too far, more the idea of how war twists everything, including those perpetuating it. The Fire Nation and even firebending itself are twisted over 100 years of war, and the other nations suffer as well.

My issue with that final fight with Zaheer, was the in the end, the final villain that needed defeating was Korra. And it was Jinorra and the other airbenders that ultimately saved the day by defeating her.
Um, what?

like the bending conflict in season 1, that was apparently instantly forgotten once the main bad guy was revealed, despite there being legit concerns in the city. Wish it had been better.
Yeah, it's kind of bizzare. We see in season 1 that non-benders have legitimate grievances, regardless of how one may think of Amon's approach to dealing with it. But not only does the season use DEM to restore Korra's bending (and the bending of everyone else), but the Equalist thread is forgotten about. Season 3 has a similar problem, in that the re-joining of the Spirit World doesn't actually change the status quo that much. Season 4 feels like the one natural continuation from its predecessor.

• The Promise - Meh.
  • Rebound - Crap.
  • The Search - Fucking crap! A big fuck you!
  • The Rift - Start Here! It's legit good.
  • Smoke and Shadow - Fuck you even harder!
  • North and South - Great
  • Imbalance - The best of all of the comics series so far!
I think we're on opposite ends of the spectrum. For me, Promise>Search>Rift (I've read Rebound, but it barely left an impression on me). I've left reviews on the "what are you reading?" thread.

I hope to read the other comics someday.

There are supposed to be two more comics coming out later in the ATLA timeline.
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender – Katara and the Pirate's Silver (2020)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender – Toph Beifong's Metalbending Academy (2021)
Pirate's Silver is already out. Haven't read that either yet.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Promise>Search>Rift
I know we are on opposite spectrums, but I had problems with The Promise, and I barely find a have no reason to go back to it. The Search is levels of crappy fanfiction bad. The Rift while not perfect, is a huge improvement by comparison to those two, and especially Smoke and Shadow. The problem with all those, the Rift included to a lesser extent, is that you have characters that are supposed to be seen as sympathetic, "cool", or likeable and they all fail in those department. Because they are either assholes you are supposed to like/sympathize with or you are supposed to see their actions as heroic when they are clearly not (Mai!). A problem that started here in the comics (technically in ATLA Season 3 when you think about it hard enough with Mai and Ty Lee), and was exacerbated and got worse in Legend of Korra.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Legend of Korra: Book 4 - Balance (3/5)

Similar to my review of book 3, this is going to be part plot summary, part review, since I feel it's the best way to convey my thoughts on the season.

So, season 4 starts off with an excellent premise. Carrying over from season 3, the Earth Kingdom's fallen into chaos, and a 3 year military campaign under Kuvira is nearly complete, in as much that it's nearly united the entire country. Kuvira's become known as "the Great Uniter," and has amassed a loyal army at her beck and call. She's getting the job done, but there's whispers of harsh tactics, re-education camps, and we see in the first 1-2 episodes that she's willing to do false flag attacks in order to get villages to come into the fold.

So, from the outset, I absolutely love this premise. It's a good lead-in from the previous season, making sense from an in-universe perspective. Also, there's a lot you can do with this idea - yes, good idea to restore the Earth Kingdom (in theory at least), but at what social and emotional cost? Also, I've commented on TLA that something it could have done is make the Fire Nation arbitrarily evil, but instead, showed a more nuanced view of things. The Fire Nation is imperialist at this point in time, but this is a world where war and conquest existed beforehand. Season 2 of LoK kind of did this idea in season 2 (the Northern Water Tribe going imperialist), but now, it's eerie how simialr the visuals are in season 4 to the Fire Nation in TLA. legions of faceless soldiers, equipped with technology beyond that of the other nations, waging conquest for 'the greater good.' Kuvira's rationale is eerilly similar to that of Azulon in TLA - "I can make the world better, and if that means conquest, so be it." However, there's some issues here, and this is where LoK falls short. We hear about Kuvira's attrocities, we hear about the re-education camps, we hear that villages she's left behind have actually experienced decreases in their welfare, but we never actually see this. In TLA, across three seasons, we saw on-screen the effects of war. LoK however, doesn't give us the same treatment. Now you can point out that TLA had three seasons of 20 episodes each, while this war is one season of 13 episodes, but again, that's the burden LoK has to bear - four vaguely connected stories rather than one single coheisve one. I'll get to Kuvira as a character later on, but from the outset, as excellent as the premise is, it's a premise that's never fully explored.

What DOES work much better is the second episode, Korra Alone, where we see how Korra's coped with the physical and emotional scars of her battle with Zaheer (or, rather, not coped). This is easily one of the best episodes in the season, possibly the entire LoK series. And, of course, we get re-introduced to Toph, who even after 70 years, is still awesome. What's slightly less awesome is that the re-contextualization I heard about here isn't really some great revelation. Toph tells Korra to reflect on the actions and beliefs of her former enemies, but there isn't some great insight here. I mean, I like the idea, that each villain represents an ideal taken to its extreme, but it's an idea that doesn't seem to come from LoK itself, but rather, certain interpretations of it.

So Kuvira's at the end of her campaign to reunite the Earth Kingdom. All that's left is the city of Zhao Fu. The world leaders want to make Wu (queen's son or nephew) as king, and have Kuvira step down. The fact that Bolin is working with Kuvira does generate some tension, but, again, we keep hearing that Kuvira has done various war crimes (not literally called that, granted), but never really see it. So on one hand, it makes Bolin's cluelessness understandable, but on the other, makes the criticisms of his working with her come off as hollow. And Wu is...Wu is a take it or leave it character. I'll leave it at that. But, TL, DR, Kuvira refuses to step down, declares the monarchy abolished, and the birth of the Earth Empire, and marches on Zhao Fu. Again, while the execution could perhaps be better, the plot is very solid.

Also, Varrick and Bolin escape. Varrick is, like, the one bright spot in all of LoK, so, yay? He, er, does the thing...

So, I'm going to actually talk about Kuvira at this point, because once again, it's a case of great idea, not so great execution. Kuvira arguably has parallels with Azula, in that they're both highly determined, ruthless, command their forces, believe in their cause, and are prodigies in their respective bendings. However, there's a difference. Azula was built up over two seasons, and foreshadowed as early as season 1 of TLA (which is technically her first appearance, even if she has no lines). Because of flashbacks, among other things, we understand why she is the way she is. With Kuvira, we get no such luxury. She had only a few lines of dialogue in season 3, and while we hear about the tensions between her and her adoptive family, we never actually see it bar a single flashback. Show, don't tell, as the saying goes, and LoK does a lot of telling here. So when I hear about Kuvira's war crimes, when I hear about her family issues (and Bataar's for that matter), it kind of rings hollow. I know that I'm comparing this to TLA a lot, but even if TLA didn't exist, the problems would remain. Again, I like Kuvira as an antagonist, but she feels undercut by a lack of fleshing out.

So, Kuvira's army arrives at Zhao Fu. Korra, returned as the Avatar, challenges her to a 1 on 1 duel for the fate of the city. A duel that Kuvira easily wins. I've seen some people complain about this, the idea that Kuvira can only hold her own because Korra's been knocked down so much, but I disagree. Korra getting her mojo back from the last season is an arc that lasts throughout the season, and it's far better than the DEM ending we got at the end of book 1. But, anyway, protagonists escape, but Zhao Fu is taken.

What follows is mostly character development stuff. Bolin and Varrick make their way through Earth Empire territory (walls are going up, ethnic Fire Nation/Water Tribe people are being put in camps), we get a clip show episode that's absolutely hilarious, and Korra goes to Zaheer. Former nemesis who helps her get get her mojo back since, at least for now, they share a common enemy with Kuvira. Also, the Bei Fong kids reunite with Toph and rescue Zhu Li. Most of this is solid stuff, and I can't complain about this segment. The one exception is that Toph comes off as way too cold when she basically tells Lin to get over never knowing her father. I mean, Toph is usaully a loveable jackass, but this is the one case where she's just a plain jackass.

So. Kuvira's marching on Republic City, under the rationale that the United Republic of Nations is former Earth Kingdom territory, and as such, is rightfully part of the Earth Empire. As motivations go, this isn't bad, and there's the lingering question for the viewer (well, for me at least), that if Kuvira incorporates the URN into her empire, would she actually stop there, or just keep going, believing it's for the greater good? Dunno. What I do know is what follows is about three episodes dedicated to the buildup to the battle, and the battle itself, said battle side-stepping any great army fight (despite the presence of soldiers stationed for the city's defence), and mainly, a giant mech fight. One with a "SPECIAL BEAM CANNON!" that fires spiritual energy. I've seen this idea compared to the atomic bomb, the idea of a weapon that changes the nature of the world by its mere existence, but I disagree. It's simply an uber gun on an uber mech. Visually entertaining, but not really thematic IMO. Also, Kuvira's mechs cut part of a giant spirit tree to get the energy needed. So...Avatar, the cartoon, is mimicking Avatar, the movie, and the Earth Empire is apparently the RDA. 0_0

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So cue giant mech battle. Not much to say, it's entertaining, with good spectacle, and good emotional beats, ranging from the personal (e.g. Asami losing her father, and Kuvira sacricing Bataar for the greater good), to the more generally emotional (e.g. Wu and Pema gettign refugees out of the city), to the collateral (city's very much a warzone). The one thing I'm going to focus on is that at the end, while the mech is brought down, Kuvira, still refusing to surrender, uses its SPECIAL BEAM CANNON!, which has fallen off. Korra, reaching the endpoint of her character development (and 'power level, so to speak), redirects the energy, which saves the city, but tears a hole into the Spirit World, which sucks both of them in.

I'm singling in on this because aside from the animation being gorgeous, this works for a number of reasons. I mentioned last season that the fight between Zaheer and Korra had shades of Ozai and Aang. This does as well, but the irony is that there, Aang used energybending to defeat his opponent, while Korra uses energybending to save her opponent. While LoK doesn't quite reach the same high notes that TLA does here, there's still similar "feels" involved. And furthermore, in the Spirit World, when Kuvira breaks down, and Korra offers comfort. Kuvira explaining how she was an orphan, her own parents just handing her off to Su Lin, how seeing the chaos of the Earth Kingdom, she never wanted to see people experience that fear and insecurity again. It's a good character moment for both of them, as Korra reflects on her own fears and losses up to this point. Enough so that, leading Kuvira out of the Spirit World, she orders her army to stand down. Good stuff.

Less good, however, is the ending, which feels rushed. Wu declares that he intends to make the Earth Kingdom democratic, Varrick and Zhu Li get married, and we get some character moments. It all feels rushed, and that includes the "Korrasami moment." Honestly, if I'd watched this then, I'd kind of would have to ask "what moment?" Yes, they go into the Spirit World for a vacation, and...that's it. The end. Aang and Katara kissing, this ain't, nor is there anything that matches the quiet pleasure of the cast in TLA simply drinking tea.

So, that's LoK Book 4. At the end of the day, I did enjoy this season, and it's a solid follow-up to season 4. Unfortunately, it's got a lot of problems, and most of them have to do with under-development of its plot, setting, and characters. It's hard to say whether it's better than season 3 or not - I'd say that season 3 is a more solid season, but season 4 is a more enjoyable season. Also, compared to season 3, has higher highs, but lower lows. So if I was rating LoK's seasons, it would go 3>4>1>2.

So that's Legend of Korra finished. Having watched seasons 3 and 4 after giving up with season 2, I'll say that these seasons have kind of redeemed the show in my eyes. Far from perfect, and nowhere near as good as TLA. But I will say that anyone who gave up at the end of season 2, you should give the later two seasons a try. if you gave up in season 1, though, then, um, good luck getting through season 2. The later seasons might not recontextualize the themes and plots of the frist two seasons, but they do recontextualize Korra. I imagine that if I went back to thos seasons now, it would be a lot easier to sit through Korra's antics, knowing that she develops into a more well-rounded character later on.

So, yeah. Decent season that concludes what I now consider to be a decent series. Unfortunately, it remains a series that's overshadowed by its predecessor, and still heavilly flawed. But still, fun.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A whiny, hypocritical liar who is supposed to be a leader but has gone off to play golf instead.

That is to say, the fourth (and final) season of Reign, or at least the first few eps. Elizabath is so much less annoying than Mary. Elizabeth is all "I don't like this, I'll do my grumpy face", whereas Mary is all "I don't like this, I'll whine and blame someone that isn't really to blame".

The high standards of cool dresses has been maintained, and the English Court sets look nice. Oh, and there's some writing, but it's very soap opera with loads of new stuff being introduced all the time and the old stuff often never being resolved.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The one thing I'm going to focus on is that at the end, while the mech is brought down, Kuvira, still refusing to surrender, uses its SPECIAL BEAM CANNON!
HAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

As for the rest, I am glad you enjoyed it, but I can't say the same for myself. You know how the song and dance goes for me at this point if you remember most of my discussions on the V1 thread. I dislike S4, but I don't hate near the amount of S1 & S2. But I do hate Suyin Beifong! I hate s her so much! The self-righteous, hypocritical, know-it-all, idiotic b#tch! If she got killed off, I've would have done the Pennywise dance in celebration. That said, all your grievances with this season really why I can't even bother to sit through it again.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So I watched the Supernatural series finale and boy howdy was it stupid!

No seriously, spoilers.
Dean dies. That's it. That's the big show stopping, heart breaking moment. Dean, a character who has already died like 6 times, been possessed by God, Satan, and just about everything else, a man who was literally tortured in hell for a thousand years until he took up the mantel of Hell's Torturer, setting off the apocalypse like 10 years ago, died. And they expected us to take it seriously.
For those not into Supernatural this is like Superman dying, or Goku dying, and the writers fully expecting us to take it seriously. Now to be fair they have this really over the top scene of Dean forcing Sam to Pinkie Pie, no backsies Promise not to bring him back from the dead for the 7th time, and thus voiding their free sandwich at the afterlife Gift Shop. And it left me feeling embarrassed that I actually expected more. Now the show was supposed to end in Season 5, which was the original premise and the writers all left after that, but like the Simpsons it was just dragged on and on. Fuck me I don't think this is the first time Dean's died this season, and this season was all about literally trying to kill God, as in yes that God, the big one.

Oh and how does he die? A random vampire tackles him and he falls on a nail. That's it. Dude has been literally torn apart by hell hounds and had his throat slit by primordial demons and he gets done in by a piece of galvanized steel in a barn.

And then fast forward like 15 years Sam has a kid, named Dean, and then he dies and...and that's it. End of show. Monsters are still roaming the Earth, demons exist, people are dying, and Sam and Dean are just two more dead hunters.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Little Fires Everywhere

The mom thriller to end all mom thrillers. A suburban white mom rents to a homeless black mom in a deluded act of generosity, then proceed to irritate each other (and me) with passive-aggressive sleights. The black daughter starts idolizing the white mom for her affluent Stepford-perfect lifestyle while the white/closet lesbian daughter turns to the black mom for moral support. There's a high school b-plot involving the kids, all of whom are in mixed race relationships for the wrong reasons (says the show). There's also a c-plot involving an Asian mom, co-worker of the black mom, who abandoned her baby a year ago and now wants it back just as it gets adopted by the white mom's barren friend. Gillian Flynn eat your heart out.

On a scale of mom thriller TV I rate it well above Desperate Housewives and Big Little Lies, but well under Sharp Objects.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Little Fires Everywhere

The mom thriller to end all mom thrillers. A suburban white mom rents to a homeless black mom in a deluded act of generosity, then proceed to irritate each other (and me) with passive-aggressive sleights. The black daughter starts idolizing the white mom for her affluent Stepford-perfect lifestyle while the white/closet lesbian daughter turns to the black mom for moral support. There's a high school b-plot involving the kids, all of whom are in mixed race relationships for the wrong reasons (says the show). There's also a c-plot involving an Asian mom, co-worker of the black mom, who abandoned her baby a year ago and now wants it back just as it gets adopted by the white mom's barren friend. Gillian Flynn eat your heart out.

On a scale of mom thriller TV I rate it well above Desperate Housewives and Big Little Lies, but well under Sharp Objects.
Is this a show on lifetime Network? I don't understand your rating scale, but I'm assuming the show's like a C or C+.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's on Amazon Prime, came out this year. C+ sounds about right. But a C+ mom thriller is like a D- regular crime thriller.
I get it. Yeah, a D minus suspense thriller is just the worst at times. I just know had this short aired on a lifetime, my mom will be watching it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So I watched the Supernatural series finale and boy howdy was it stupid!

No seriously, spoilers.
Dean dies. That's it. That's the big show stopping, heart breaking moment. Dean, a character who has already died like 6 times, been possessed by God, Satan, and just about everything else, a man who was literally tortured in hell for a thousand years until he took up the mantel of Hell's Torturer, setting off the apocalypse like 10 years ago, died. And they expected us to take it seriously.
For those not into Supernatural this is like Superman dying, or Goku dying, and the writers fully expecting us to take it seriously. Now to be fair they have this really over the top scene of Dean forcing Sam to Pinkie Pie, no backsies Promise not to bring him back from the dead for the 7th time, and thus voiding their free sandwich at the afterlife Gift Shop. And it left me feeling embarrassed that I actually expected more. Now the show was supposed to end in Season 5, which was the original premise and the writers all left after that, but like the Simpsons it was just dragged on and on. Fuck me I don't think this is the first time Dean's died this season, and this season was all about literally trying to kill God, as in yes that God, the big one.

Oh and how does he die? A random vampire tackles him and he falls on a nail. That's it. Dude has been literally torn apart by hell hounds and had his throat slit by primordial demons and he gets done in by a piece of galvanized steel in a barn.

And then fast forward like 15 years Sam has a kid, named Dean, and then he dies and...and that's it. End of show. Monsters are still roaming the Earth, demons exist, people are dying, and Sam and Dean are just two more dead hunters.
Wow, sounds like utter shit, glad I never bothered watching that show.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I love Fargo the movie and the TV show. Season 4 starring Chris Rock! 1 more episode. 9/10 episodes released. I am enjoying it but next to the terrific 1st 3 seasons? Not sure where this is going. So many threads to connect with only 1 more episode to go. 7/10.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
More teens, murder and fancy outfits, this time in the first few eps of Riverdale.

Which is a bit trashy, but very watchable, and I always want to see what happens next ep. Everyone has terrible parents in this show, except maybe Archie, whose dad seems ok so far. Archie and Betty can see into each other's bedrooms (and always leave the blinds open, it seems), like in the video clip for You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift, but for all I know that's from the comics and Swift borrowed from them and not the other way around, she's been compared to Betty for years and that clip definitely has a Betty and Veronica thing going on anyway.

The town seems to consist of people's homes, school, police station and that one restaurant and seemingly nothing else.

Veronica's mum Hermione has a giant house and a personal servant in the form of Colonel Harry Maybourne from SG-1, but has to work as a waitress to make ends meet. Uh huh.

On the whole, I'm quite liking this.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Watched all of Riverdale season 1 now. Decent enough, but it drags a bit and of course once the arc has ended it immediately starts the next one in a terribly cliched way. Probably will get the next series.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Orville: Season 2 (4/5)

Season 2 of The Orville is better than season 1. Far as I can tell, that isn't a controversial statement. That said, I don't think this season is as much of an improvement over its predecessor as some make it out to be. In part because season 1 was improving already over the course of its run, in part because while season 2 helps address the biggest issues of season 1, it ends up introducing its own issues.

First, I'll start with the issue it gets rid of - bad humour. That's not to say that all humour in season 1 was bad, but a lot of the humour felt forced. Either it slowed down the plot, or more irritatingly, it relied on the characters being idiots for it to work. Season 2 gets rid of it. What humour there is is motly good, and while some of it doesn't work, none of it requires the characters losing braincells. Season 2 is much better at establishing that while the cast aren't the paragons of virtue we might see in TNG, they're still all qualified people. Without a doubt, this is the most welcome change. However, what's not quite as welcome, is that with the derth of humour, the season leans heavilly on the relationship angle. Not just of Ed and Kelly, but the whole cast. Whether this works or not is beside the point, but in the first half of the season, it almost makes the show feel like a soap opera, given the proliferation of relationship issues that keep rearing their heads. But notice I said the first half. This season can be sliced in two relatively neatly, so as such, I'm going to look at both relatively independently.

The first half is heavy on the relationship stuff. This includes Ed/Kelly/Cassius, Claire/Isaac, Bortus/Klyden, Alara/family, and Ed/Teleya. Pretty much every single episode from this half will deal with at least one of these relationships, if not outright making them the focus. So, on one hand, we have a space opera that's more like a soap opera. On the other, it helps that the soap opera stuff is actually pretty good. I'm not going to go into every episode, but rather comment on these plot threads:

-Alara: Very solid episode. Sad to see her go, but she gets a good sendoff. Tella isn't Alara 2.0, which is both good and bad.

-Ed/Kelly/Cassius: I don't particuarly care. Ed's ernest at the start, but the love trianlge thing is something I lost interest in.

-Bortus/Klyden: Mixed. On one hand, I don't particuarly care about these characters as a pair. On the other, they do serve their roles well in the context of the season itself, with Bortus being more open-minded as to the flaws of moclan culture, whereas Klyden...Klyden is a sexist, a hetrophobe (in that hetrosexuality is to moclans what homosexuality is to humans - something stigmatized, and punishable), and arguably a speciesist, and he's proud of it. Bortus is definitely more interesting as a character here overall, but part of it is by highlighting just how terrible a person Klyden is. And, there's Topa in-between, who's torn between his two fathers' attidues.

-Ed/Teleya: I really like the idea of this arc, but not so much the execution. In the first episode of season 2, Janet Tyler is introduced to the crew, and says hello to Ed. She doesn't appear until a few episodes later, where in that episode, it's established that she and Ed are in a relationship...and in the very same episode, it's revealed that Tyler is Teleya in disguise, that she infiltrated the Orville. The actual episode is pretty good, as it's good riff off 'Enemy Mine', and sets the stage for the krill later helping the Union. On the other, it's rushed way too quickly. It needed more buildup to get the emotional punch for the viewer, if not for Ed. Speaking personally, I'd love to see Teleya again in the series.

-Claire/Isaac: Easily the best pairing in this group. I don't know how the writers were able to get this to work, straddling the boundary between Isaac being a machine, and developing something that could be called emotion, but it works excellently. It's not a case of "a robot learning how to be human," more "a robot develops algorithims that make it work better in Claire's presence." It manages to convey Isaac's robotic nature, while making the interactions sweet and sincere as well. More than ever when Isaac uses holographic technology to make himself appear human in the simulator, but still speaks as a robot. And erases all data he had on Claire so he can get to know her again. Which is much sweeter than it sounds.

So, yeah. That's the first half of season 2. How much you like it will depend on your tolerance for relationship drama, and how well you think that drama is done. But let's move onto the two-parter that divides the season, Identity.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Identity is pretty solid, as the team takes Isaac to Kaylon to be repaired, after he was shut down. However, it's revealed that the kaylons are building ships, and they stumble across an underground cavern where they find the corpses of their creators. 200,000 in one cavern, in a planet that has similar mass graves scattered throughout its crust. Yes, the kaylon wiped out their creators, and they plan to do the same to all organic life. Turns out they never planned to join the Union, they had Isaac observe organics to see whether they were worth preserving. Deciding in the negative, they launch a fleet against Earth. What follows is lots of twists and turns, questions of loyalty, the largest space battle the series has seen up to this point, the krill aiding the Union at the last moment, and the kaylon retreating from Earth, though setting the stage for a galactic war.

I think the two-parter is pretty decent. However, it's not without flaws. For starters, the reveal that the kaylon erradicated their creators isn't much of a reveal at all. As far as I can recall/tell, no-one has ever questioned who the builders of the kaylon actually were, so is this revelation really that much of a revelation? In terms of impact, it works, as we see piles of bones like something out of the real-life killing fields of Cambodia (or if you want a sci-fi reference, think Terminator), but as plot? Not so much. Also, there's the kaylon themselves. They just aren't that intimidating a robotic foe, since they're clearly actors walking around in padded suits. When they converse with the characters, casually explaining their genocidal intent, there's a chilling effect, but when marching and firing? Not so much. And you can't tell me it's a budget issue, because take Doctor Who's cybermen. Yes, they're people walking around in suits, but the cybermen have always had an intimidation factor in NuWho, even confining that intimidatinon to their visual design. Also, the battle is okay, but nothing too special. It's basically Orville models replciated ad nauseum, when the Orville itself is meant to be an exploratory ship. We've seen the Union's actual warships in the series and comics before now, but here? Nip, nadda, zilch.

Also, Isaac. He betrays the crew, then betrays the kaylons, and it doesn't delve into why nearly as deeply as he and Claire. Also, Claire's parting words to Isaac at the end of the duology are that forgiveness takes time...except we never see any strained interactions with Isaac after this. Not with Claire, not with anyone. But, overall, the two-parter is decent, and introduces us to an existential threat that sets the scene for the second half.

The second half of season 2 is in fair contrast to the first, in that it's much more concerned with the political side of things. The Union is headed for war, so that means striking a peace treaty with the krill, and dealing with the moclans' bullshit (basically, Moclus is to the Union what Saudi Arabia is to the West). These episodes are pretty solid. We do get another relationship episode with Gordon and a simulation, built up from a 21st century iPhone - as in, creating a personality from the user's texts. You might think that sounds silly, but this episode is actually pretty excellent, and extremely heartfelt. Unfortunately, what doesn't work as well is the two-parter at the end. Long story short, Kelly's past self comes to the present, goes back to the past, turns down her second date with Ed, and triggers a butterfly effect where in the new timeline, the kaylon win at Earth, and proceed to wipe out most life in the galaxy, causing the crew in this new timeline to set the old timeline in place. Personally, I don't care. I don't really care about Ed and Kelly at this point, and I don't need an alternate timeline where the kaylon won to covney how dangerous they are, because I saw how dangerous they were in Identity, and the second half of the season reguarly reminds us how dangerous they are, ranging from the Union's diplomatic desparation, to how the crew have to evade kaylon ships. It never harps on this, but the season does reinforce that the kaylon are dangerous, that they're technologically superior, and there's no guarantee that the Union can win the war that's coming. So why waste our time with an alternate timeline, when we could see the kaylon wrecking havoc in the present?

Still, despite the above complaints, I did enjoy season 2. An improvement from season 1 to be sure. Unfortunately, there's every risk that season 3 will be the last one at this point, which proves that we can't have nice things. Still, hopefully the plot arcs will be wrapped up. All in all, good stuff.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Starting to watch Penny Dreadful. Which is slow, with a lot of padding (hoping that random public domain characters aren't just dropped in as scene fillers, but actually do something), and the sex and violence and swearing is rather OtT (but, ok, it is called Penny Dreadful).

Still quite watchable, hope it actually goes somewhere though.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Little Fires Everywhere.

What started out as a mediocre mom thriller ended up being beyond hateful for me. Partly due to the heavy-handed melodrama, the kind that calculates mournful ending montages for every episode as if Evil Morty just showed up, but mostly because of how fundamentally I disagree with the thematic posturing of the show.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Watching most of season 1 of Penny Dreadful. There's a scene where The Flower Duet is playing in the background, and I always get that mixed up with The Pearl Fishers Duet, despite the former being sung by women and the latter by men. You may or may not be interested in knowing that, but I found it much more interesting than what was going on on screen.

They've got plenty of money, big names (Eva Green in particular does a very good job), fancy technology and special effects, and they decide to waste it all on boring padding.

Oh, and they did have an action scene involving monsters, and their arch nemesis stands in front of them and they stand there doing nothing instead of shooting it until they aren't in a position to shoot it.

Boo! Boo!

They do get points for mentioning Varney the Vampire a character of the period who is now public domain, but one most people haven't heard of, instead of throwing in the obligatory currently famous ones. That is, just throwing in the obligatory currently famous ones. And maybe thinking about possibly having them do something, or maybe not. Boo!