Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I’ve started rewatching Babylon 5

Season 1: Signs and Portents - 9/10

As with any series, especially one of, if not the, first serialised television shows on American television, its first season is largely spent world building with some episodes devoted to nought but that. However even in its early days, when this show was on, it was on.

The concerns the titular B5, a space station built and financed by several major series players but run by Earth Alliance military, that serves as a neutral port for trade, immigration and diplomacy. The presents a future of humanity that isn’t as utopian as Star Trek but a better shake than say, Blake’s 7 or Battlestar Galactica. Optimistic too since ten years prior to the show Earth and the human race were nearly wiped out by the Minbari.

The show has created some great alien races that sit in the canon of Sci-Fi as if not unique then at least engaging and interesting, my personal favourite are the Vorlons flaws and all. The principal cast was largely unchanged for the show's 5 year run with the notable exception of the station commander - this season stared Michael O’Hare as Cmdr Jeffrey Sinclair but sadly O’Hare suffered very, very badly from schizophrenia but despite offers from the creator/show runner to cease production for several months he refused, not wanting to kill the project stone dead and cause thousands of people to lose their jobs. This revelation was not made public for close to 20 years, JMS only revealing it in 2012 after O’Hare died. This knowledge gives some added depth and tragedy to the many scenes in which Sinclair is driven to the end of his rope or is psychologically played with. One wonders how much was acting and how much was just him feeling able to let lose some frustration and terror in a productive way.

The main cast acquit themselves well, though there is something peculiarly 90’s about some of the dialogue; for example it’s very common for characters to say something like “Does the phrase XYZ ring any bells?” when angry, even when the expression itself said in the correct tone would be sufficient. The show also has some things buried under layers of subtext and you wonder why are the bothering and then some CGI happens and your remember this came out in 1993 and it makes sense.

Visually the show is a little dated, and like lots of speculative television fiction that wasn’t Star Trek, did not foresee the rise of digital devices like tablets. Newspapers are still a thing in this show. However, while fidelity is a little limited, aesthetic and design is very much amazing. The standout being the Aurora Starfury space fighter.

If you love space opera, but haven’t seen this show, you owe it to yourself to sit and watch it. I believe it’s seasons are all on Amazon Prime.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I’ve started rewatching Babylon 5

Season 1: Signs and Portents - 9/10

As with any series, especially one of, if not the, first serialised television shows on American television, its first season is largely spent world building with some episodes devoted to nought but that. However even in its early days, when this show was on, it was on.

The concerns the titular B5, a space station built and financed by several major series players but run by Earth Alliance military, that serves as a neutral port for trade, immigration and diplomacy. The presents a future of humanity that isn’t as utopian as Star Trek but a better shake than say, Blake’s 7 or Battlestar Galactica. Optimistic too since ten years prior to the show Earth and the human race were nearly wiped out by the Minbari.

The show has created some great alien races that sit in the canon of Sci-Fi as if not unique then at least engaging and interesting, my personal favourite are the Vorlons flaws and all. The principal cast was largely unchanged for the show's 5 year run with the notable exception of the station commander - this season stared Michael O’Hare as Cmdr Jeffrey Sinclair but sadly O’Hare suffered very, very badly from schizophrenia but despite offers from the creator/show runner to cease production for several months he refused, not wanting to kill the project stone dead and cause thousands of people to lose their jobs. This revelation was not made public for close to 20 years, JMS only revealing it in 2012 after O’Hare died. This knowledge gives some added depth and tragedy to the many scenes in which Sinclair is driven to the end of his rope or is psychologically played with. One wonders how much was acting and how much was just him feeling able to let lose some frustration and terror in a productive way.

The main cast acquit themselves well, though there is something peculiarly 90’s about some of the dialogue; for example it’s very common for characters to say something like “Does the phrase XYZ ring any bells?” when angry, even when the expression itself said in the correct tone would be sufficient. The show also has some things buried under layers of subtext and you wonder why are the bothering and then some CGI happens and your remember this came out in 1993 and it makes sense.

Visually the show is a little dated, and like lots of speculative television fiction that wasn’t Star Trek, did not foresee the rise of digital devices like tablets. Newspapers are still a thing in this show. However, while fidelity is a little limited, aesthetic and design is very much amazing. The standout being the Aurora Starfury space fighter.

If you love space opera, but haven’t seen this show, you owe it to yourself to sit and watch it. I believe it’s seasons are all on Amazon Prime.
Giving season 1 9/10 is a big rich right? Only because 2 to 4 are so much better.
possibly more than 1 point

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Giving season 1 9/10 is a big rich right? Only because 2 to 4 are so much better.
possibly more than 1 point
Well, for me, it's actually something like 2>3>1>4 (haven't got round to 5).

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well, for me, it's actually something like 2>3>1>4 (haven't got round to 5).
I liked the ending to both wars but totally recognise that, due to studio interference, was not given the breathing space to develop properly

Edit: I liked how season 4....

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I liked the ending to both wars but totally recognise that, due to studio interference, was not given the breathing space to develop properly
Plus lots of changes due to O’Hare needing to leave and Andrea Thompson almost being given the boot and Patricia Talman coming back. In fact it is amazing how seamless the show seems (mostly) considering what was dropped and added

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Last episode of first season of Penny Dreadful and things picked up again, so there's that.

First few episodes of Batwoman season 1 and it's ok (not great, but ok), and I like Rachel Skarsten as Alice.

First few episodes of Riverdale season 2, and it's very watchable in a trashy way. And Archie wants to be Batwoman (and has the right coloured hair).

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I forgot how good the season 9 X-Files episode Audrey Pauley is. The one where Monica Reyes is trapped inside the imaginary hospital. 5/5.

Got like four episodes of the original Thundercats to go. It has taken me a year. Would have enjoyed it more if Lion-O's sword couldn't do EVERYTHING.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Plus lots of changes due to O’Hare needing to leave and Andrea Thompson almost being given the boot and Patricia Talman coming back. In fact it is amazing how seamless the show seems (mostly) considering what was dropped and added
Kudos for rewatching that show, it's my favorite of all time regarding scifi tv.

Regarding the change in cast, as I recall hearing at one point, JMS, having worked in TV for years as a writer, had basically built in "escape hatches" for his various characters. Giving them a plot hook that could write them out, or back in, if needed, due to real world issues. I think O'Hare's loss was a huge issue, that he didn't have a good plan for at first, because the original script was going to have him be The One. And for The Three, to not be 3 different people, but him at 3 different points in his life, and timeline. I think JMS did a fantastic job bending that thing back into shape.

G'Kar is probably my favorite character individually on the show. He had the most growth and change over the arc of the show. And Andreas Katsulas fucking sold that performance like a champion! I remember an interview of his, that he loved playing G'Kar, because prior to that, he was always type cast as the typical "Italian mook thug", and he had little opportunity to ACT. But G'Kar, he got to give him depth, and personality, show how his past actions impacted him, and fundamentally changed his worldview. He was just fantastic.

I fucking LOVE that show.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Kudos for rewatching that show, it's my favorite of all time regarding scifi tv.

Regarding the change in cast, as I recall hearing at one point, JMS, having worked in TV for years as a writer, had basically built in "escape hatches" for his various characters. Giving them a plot hook that could write them out, or back in, if needed, due to real world issues. I think O'Hare's loss was a huge issue, that he didn't have a good plan for at first, because the original script was going to have him be The One. And for The Three, to not be 3 different people, but him at 3 different points in his life, and timeline. I think JMS did a fantastic job bending that thing back into shape.

G'Kar is probably my favorite character individually on the show. He had the most growth and change over the arc of the show. And Andreas Katsulas fucking sold that performance like a champion! I remember an interview of his, that he loved playing G'Kar, because prior to that, he was always type cast as the typical "Italian mook thug", and he had little opportunity to ACT. But G'Kar, he got to give him depth, and personality, show how his past actions impacted him, and fundamentally changed his worldview. He was just fantastic.

I fucking LOVE that show.
I don’t normally get impacted by speeches but G’kar’s speech near the end of Season 2 was a way better freedom speech than Braveheart

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don’t normally get impacted by speeches but G’kar’s speech near the end of Season 2 was a way better freedom speech than Braveheart
Oh yeah, that was powerful, and it helps that the actor who plays Londo was equally good at his role, and the two of them had amazing chemistry. But yeah, Andreas Katsulas was a powerhouse.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh yeah, that was powerful, and it helps that the actor who plays Londo was equally good at his role, and the two of them had amazing chemistry. But yeah, Andreas Katsulas was a powerhouse.
I think he and Jurasik were a sort of package deal. Individually they are potent dramatic powerhouses but together? They are magnificent.

I also confess I’m very fond of Mira Furlan, and while that’s mainly because she too is a talented dramatic actress it’s also because after Severed Dreams she became my go to example of “angry hot” and basically has never been replaced.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think he and Jurasik were a sort of package deal. Individually they are potent dramatic powerhouses but together? They are magnificent.

I also confess I’m very fond of Mira Furlan, and while that’s mainly because she too is a talented dramatic actress it’s also because after Severed Dreams she became my go to example of “angry hot” and basically has never been replaced.
Oh yes, G'Kar and Londo together were fantastic, no doubt.

And yes, Mira Furlan was a very wonderful actress too. Her accent was quite alluring for me as a younger man. And the way she carried herself often sort of implied "I'm very polite and casual in public, but get me behind closed doors and I am super freaky." Her little smirks and swings of hips as she moved around the station. The character I mean, no clue about Mira's actual freakiness.

Plus I've seen a few clips of Q&A's with her at cons and stuff, and I generally like her personality and demeanor as a person.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, so finally finished all of Reign. I strongly suspect there was intended to be a 5th season, but that the viewing figures weren't great so they tacked on a "21 years later" bit at the end of season 4. Not a satisfying ending.

Dragged on way too much, and I kept hoping that time traveling Karl Marx would rock up and start a pub brawl with some of these annoying rich people. Unfortunately, they didn't go quite so far as to have Karl Marx appear in the 1500s. Not that the historical accuracy was great anyway.

Also, they changed Elizabeth's speech (more formally known as the Speech to the Troops at Tilbury, but known widely as that thing Elizabeth said. All they had to say is "I know I have the body of a weak, feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king", you don't need the rest of it, but you have to get that part right, and maybe say it at Tilbury after the Armada.

It was...alright? Not great, and dragged on way too much, and Mary was whiny.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Babylon 5 continues.....
Season 2: The Coming of Shadows - 10/10

Honestly twenty two of the most gripping episodes of television I have had the pleasure of watching. Season 2 sees the exit of Michael O’Hare after his Herculean effort finishing season 1 while his schizophrenia was basically robbing him of coherent thought and introduces Bruce Boxleightner as Captain John ‘Starkiller’ Sheridan. It’s a switch in hindsight I think helped the show rather than hinder it since Sheridan is more obviously a hard nosed than Sinclair. This is also where the foundations in character work laid in season 1 begin to pay off significantly as characters like Londo and G’Kar basically trade places. The title comes from the tenth episode where the Centauri emperor makes a valiant, dying effort to reconcile with the Narns by apologising to G’Kar through Dr. Franklin which leads to one of Jurrasik’s finest scenes where a jubilant G’Kar buys Londo a drink and toasts the emperor and the look on his face is hauntingly painful since Londo has arranged for the titular Shadows to destroy a massive Narn outpost as a prelude to open war in a conspiracy defying the current emperor. This betrayal leads one of Katsulas’s finest scenes - among many to come - where Sheridan stops an enraged G’Kar from going to Londo’s quarters to kill him; all the rage and anguish a man can feel pours of him in waves.

This season also sees the - in retrospect blatantly obvious - slow road to fascism on Earth with the introduction of the Ministry of Peace (clearly Orwell is not on Earthforce’s OTS reading list) and the Nightwatch. The season closes on a haunting note of a shop keeper being arrested by station security with the notice pending charges of sedition.

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
This season also sees the - in retrospect blatantly obvious - slow road to fascism on Earth with the introduction of the Ministry of Peace (clearly Orwell is not on Earthforce’s OTS reading list)
In the 23rd century, 1984 is, indeed, an instruction manual.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Still watching Batwoman, bout halfway through now, and it's not very good.

Stupid Crisis on Infinite Earths or whatever, I don't know what's going on and I don't care beyond recognising the lead from Shadowhunters.

Ok, past that, back to normal, and it's just normally bad. Yeah, Rachel Skarsten is the best part of the show, so more Rachel Skarsten is reasonable enough, but the way they did it. Boo! Booooooo!

Also watching Riverdale, towards the end of season 2, and it's better than Batwoman, but not great, just watchably bad.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Just watched the final episode of season 4 of the TV show, "Fargo".

Fargo is a TV show that can be associated with the movie. It even has visited a few plot points from that film. Each season has taken place in different time periods, following a crime story told with either all new characters, or returning characters at very different ages. (Example: Season 2 has a young sheriff who is retired, played by a different actor in season 1).

Some very satisfying things occurred in this final episode and one really terrific twist AFTER the credits were rolling!
Focused on a gang war between Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman leading.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Babylon 5
Season 3: Point of No Return - 10/10

Season 3 truly is the highest point for this show. Lots of storyline comes together and big, status quo shaking stuff happens. Like it’s predecessors the season subtitle comes from the episode that changes everything. Earth descended into full blown fascism and Narn was bombed with asteroids from orbit and the Grey Council is sitting with thumbs firmly in asses. Naturally our staunch protagonists aren’t letting that through to the keeper. Delenn (in one of Furlan’s most brilliant scenes) goes to her leaders - who evicted her and gave the warrior caste a locked majority - calls them all fucking cowards and tells them to nut up or shut up.

Captain Sheridan, faced with the choice of bowing to fascism or flipping it the bird, flips it off with both hands and Babylon 5 secedes from Earth Alliance. After a great battle which is mainly won because Delenn brings the White Star and a Minbari battle fleet as in her own words “Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else!”

The rest of the season concerns ramping up the war against the Shadows, which is a fairly desperate conflict because the Shadows outstrip even the Minbari by a significant margin and sacrifices will be made.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Babylon 5
Season 3: Point of No Return - 10/10
After a great battle which is mainly won because Delenn brings the White Star and a Minbari battle fleet as in her own words “Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else!”
Yeah I loved that line, because it's easy to forget that the Mimbari were framed as being WAAAAAY out of Earth's league militarily. And that one Earth Force guy is all "Negative, we have jurisdiction here, do not force us to fire on your ships!"
Delenn : "Why not?" Humans : ".....shit, that's right, they totally fucked all of our couches, we have zero chance here." *turn and run for the jumpgate* :D Just such a great line and delivery.