Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Vagrant Queen (3/5)

If I had to describe this series as simply as possible, it would be "a mix of Killjoys and Farscape." Of course, whether that's a useful description depends on whether you're familiar with those settings or not. But I do feel it's a fair description. Because the series basically combines the whackiness of Farscape with the idea of "badass space princess accompanied by two companions." Okay, again, not the best description, but you get the drift. However, regardless as to whether we're using those other shows as comparisons or not, Vagrant Queen, while it does have its moments, doesn't reach either of their heights.

Basically, it focuses on Elida - the former queen/princess (it's complicated) of Areiopa, who lost her throne and mother in a coup, and is quite happy to spend her days as a space scavenger, only the royalists want her back, and Lazaro, the man who led the revolution, wants her dead. Accompanying her is Isaac, who got sucked into this galaxy by a wormhole which opened up from Jupiter. Yeah, um...that's a thing. It's weird, but harkening back to the Farscape comparison, one would be if John Crichton did go through the wormhole and the plot remained the same, but Aeryn was the core protagonist. Usually, you'd use characters like Isaac and John as the protagonist to give the viewer a doorway into the universe, but not in this case. Still, it does pull it off, as we do get the basics of worldbuilding. And, yeah, the setting is kind of crazy. Like, the Intergalactic Parking Authority is to this galaxy what an elite force would be to any given country. The show is insane, but does get serious, but doesn't lose sight of its 'zanniness.'

On the subject of presentation, the series is a mixed bag. It's got a repeated habit of using still-shots to capture its more insane moments. As in, single frame that the camera pans through, highlighting the characters in moments of (usually violent) insanity. Also, aesthetics. It's so weird, the actual physical makeup of the aliens is actually well done (bearing in mind that every character in this universe bar Isaac is an alien, so even the humanoid ones have pointy ears at the very least), but the CGI is terrible. There's many times when the characters are obviously in front of green screen, and even the practical sets could easily fit in on Earth, or appear to have been appropriated from elsewhere. And finally, like I said, the series does get more serious towards the end, with quantifiable stakes, lots of blood, and a cliffhanger that, thanks to a lack of ratings, will never be resolved. Yay...

Anyway, I had a decent time watching this. It doesn't rise to the heights of other shows like it, but it's worth a watch. It's probably as close as we're going to get to more Farscape in this day and age, so hey, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Away (2020) - Netflix

This is clearly not a good time for science fiction on Netflix (I just watched The Midnight Sky). The basic idea is the first missions to Mars, featuring a multinational crew (USA, Russia, China, UK, India). Hilary Swank plays the captain, and the other half of the story is about her Earth-based family.

So where does it all go wrong?

Basically, it's not about the first mission to Mars, it's a soap opera that happens to be set in space. It could be in a submarine, or a trans-Saharan trek. We're a long way from Matt Damon sciencing the shit out stuff. And again, this fatally undermines the drama. Here's our crack team of professionals, except it turns out no-one thought it would be a good idea to make sure that they were sensible, level-headed individuals who work together well as a team, because they break down in arguments all the time. Do I remember rightly that they trained together for two years? Kind of odd they don't seem to know each other at all until the mission starts. I am for the life of me not clear why the mission needed a top botanist who is dead weight as an astronaut. Further tedious melodrama is supplied by Swank's hubby, and teenage daughter learning about life, because this was the easiest and cheapest way to crank out extra emotional weight. I know space travel is supposed to be difficult, but I am genuinely astonished at their very spick and span, stylish spaceship, which seems to be full of badly designed critical stuff that keeps breaking, for which they seem to be underequipped to fix. Because dramatic action not sense, it seems.

I also cannot help think it's kind of stereotyping, too. Every Brit looks posh, stuffy and speaks RP; The Chinese are all duty, hard work and inscrutability; The Russians are flamboyantly emotional, fix things by hitting them with hammers and drink a lot. (The Indians, bar their astronaut, just aren't really there.) Kind of lazy.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Away (2020) - Netflix

This is clearly not a good time for science fiction on Netflix (I just watched The Midnight Sky). The basic idea is the first missions to Mars, featuring a multinational crew (USA, Russia, China, UK, India). Hilary Swank plays the captain, and the other half of the story is about her Earth-based family.

So where does it all go wrong?

Basically, it's not about the first mission to Mars, it's a soap opera that happens to be set in space. It could be in a submarine, or a trans-Saharan trek. We're a long way from Matt Damon sciencing the shit out stuff. And again, this fatally undermines the drama. Here's our crack team of professionals, except it turns out no-one thought it would be a good idea to make sure that they were sensible, level-headed individuals who work together well as a team, because they break down in arguments all the time. Do I remember rightly that they trained together for two years? Kind of odd they don't seem to know each other at all until the mission starts. I am for the life of me not clear why the mission needed a top botanist who is dead weight as an astronaut. Further tedious melodrama is supplied by Swank's hubby, and teenage daughter learning about life, because this was the easiest and cheapest way to crank out extra emotional weight. I know space travel is supposed to be difficult, but I am genuinely astonished at their very spick and span, stylish spaceship, which seems to be full of badly designed critical stuff that keeps breaking, for which they seem to be underequipped to fix. Because dramatic action not sense, it seems.

I also cannot help think it's kind of stereotyping, too. Every Brit looks posh, stuffy and speaks RP; The Chinese are all duty, hard work and inscrutability; The Russians are flamboyantly emotional, fix things by hitting them with hammers and drink a lot. (The Indians, bar their astronaut, just aren't really there.) Kind of lazy.

I don't think its gonna get much better this year. I mean I think this looks like good stupid fun, but the odds of you getting more Moon or the Martian is looking slim.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I don't think its gonna get much better this year. I mean I think this looks like good stupid fun, but the odds of you getting more Moon or the Martian is looking slim.
I don't mind dumb action, that's a different beast the viewer tends to approach with a different mindset.

Serious, earnest science fiction shows cannot afford to have science stupid that make viewers want to twist their own brain out and stamp on them. It destroys the credibility of the show and loses the goodwill of the viewer, and the whole show is then liable to collapse.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Serious, earnest science fiction shows cannot afford to have science stupid that make viewers want to twist their own brain out and stamp on them. It destroys the credibility of the show and loses the goodwill of the viewer, and the whole show is then liable to collapse.
Dunno, Star Trek was often trying to be serious and earnest, and the science in that tended to be less than impressive. Unless you count that as a show set in space, not sci-fi.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Watchmen(2019).

Been wanting to watch this for awhile but wanted to get past 2020 before jumping into something that I knew was gonna have some really emotionally rough bits. So I wait till 2021, figure "Okay, I'm optimistic about 2021 for now" so start watching on Jan 4th and then.....yep, thanks 2021 *Slow Clap*.

I've only finished 6/9 episodes so far but I am really enjoying it so far. While the first episode or two had a problem with feeling only tangentially related to the graphic novel(and the film to a lesser extent), the connection to the original story has grown and strengthened as the series has gone on. It also hits with quite a punch, starting with a rather brutal depiction of the 1921 Tulsa Massacre aka "The Bombing of Black Wall Street", moving on to a bunch of White Supremacist chuckleheads wearing Rosharch Masks who pulled off a massacre of the TPD prior to the start of the show, which caused the Police to don masks to protect their own Identities and adopt some rather brutal measures of their own in response.

So off the bat there's a lot going on that feels disturbingly relevant right now, before veering off to other story threads involving the FBI(and their anti-vigilante task force), a 100+ year old man who claims to have murdered the police chief by lynching him, references to the original cast of the Graphic Novel(both the new and OG minutemen), A Uber-Rich Corporate Head with her own opaque agenda and most peculiarly, Adrian Viedt, who is now living in a castle being waited on by clones...and seems to be unable to leave.

There's hints of a Damon Lindelhof/JJ Abrams mystery box approach ala LOST here, with a little bit of Lynch tossed in as well here and there, and it feels like it's all going somewhere but I have no idea what. I am curious to see exactly how and if this is all meant to connect and considering this is supposed to be a one and done season, I hope by the end of episode 9 there will be some kind of satisfactory conclusion.

Last edited:

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I watched the last season of Vikings.

True to form, it was pretty frustrating. Visually stunning, with some great character moments, atmosphere and scenes that really stick with you long after the episode is over. Also storylines that go nowhere, stupid battles and really inconsistent characterisation.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've finished watching the Sharpe series. On the surface we have a very blokey series. A tale of soldiering when it was hard work done by harder men under the hardest conditions. Sean Bean at his rakish best draped in a green jacked and a prop Baker's Rifle swanning around Europe and putting Napoleon's troops to shot and sword and giving inspirational speeches about duty, honour and sod the officers who swan about and lets get to real soldiering. Sweeping romances and a colourful cast of side characters not the least of which is (eventually ranked) Regimental Sgt. Major Harper. He and Sharpe are a classic fire forged friendship and the chemistry between Bean and Daragh O'Malley is brilliant. And all of this will make the genuinely tragic moments in the show slap you across the face and you'll wonder why you're nearly crying.

There are changes from the novels but I'm not qualified to comment on them but if you like this sort of historical fiction, they're well worth a look

Reactions: Dalisclock

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Dunno, Star Trek was often trying to be serious and earnest, and the science in that tended to be less than impressive. Unless you count that as a show set in space, not sci-fi.
Yes, as just today I was using as an example and accidentally blew a major plot point for a colleague who hadn't finished watching the latest season of ST: Discovery. Oopsies!

I can't bring myself to use "ST: D", because I quite like the show.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Was discussing Dredd in the film thread, and remembered how much I enjoyed this essay. It's really a good look into the motivations, of a film that was very underrated.

Reactions: Agema

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oh man, it is criminal that movie didn't do better. It was fucking awesome.
Yeah I agree. I mean I'm not even a huge Dredd fan, like I said earlier, I know of the comics, and I remember, as a kid back then, reading a few of them that my older brother bought. But they weren't something I regularly read. But it was just done so well.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
CNN Special Report: "The Trump Insurrection" on HBO Max. I don't think it shows Trump saying anything out of bounds in political speech... or if it is out of bounds, others have a lot of explaining to do. And calling this an "Insurrection" is just silly. A few hundred un armed people were going to take over the country? We actually spend quite a bit on our military to stop that sort of thing. We've heard a lot of arguments defending the rioters in this matter. "This was a false flag", staged, in part, by the left to justify things like another impeachment. "They intentionally did not have the normal forces present when they know a big angry demonstration is going to be held at the Capitol. That it was really ANTIFA that stormed the capital... " etc. and more.

But in the end, you see people that I think are Trump supporters, inside the capitol, engaged in destructive behavior. Behavior they had to know was terrifying and wrong. Worth a view, especially for radical right wing Republican reptiles like myself, to help understand the other side's reasonable views of an historic event.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A few hundred un armed people were going to take over the country?
Nobody said they were trying to take over the US, just cause havoc at the heart of the US's government, which, briefly, they did.

Also, some of them may have been unarmed, others had guns and pipe bombs.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Nobody said they were trying to take over the US, just cause havoc at the heart of the US's government, which, briefly, they did.

To what purpose? How would causing havoc aid Trump?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
To what purpose? How would causing havoc aid Trump?
In much the same way that rioting because your football/hockey/soccer team lost aids them, I guess. Pretty sure that guy with the horned hat and the makeup hadn't thought things through.

Having said that, the hardcore ones have probably seen too many bad movies and genuinely thought they were going to overturn the election in a glorious revolution or something. There's always talk of that, and some of the people saying it weren't all talk.

In no way has this actually aided Trump, or anyone, unless maybe you count a number of dangerously irresponsible people might get taken off the streets.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Sorry but if you think people breaking into the literal seat of government with restraints, weapons, and yelling to kill various members of the governing body, weren't "trying to take over the US" , then I think you have a strange idea of what a violent takeover looks like. Especially considering the day they were doing it, and what they were clearly trying to stop from happening. They wanted to enact what they thought should be the rule of law, and they were willing to try and enforce it with raw violence. Killing the people in charge is kind of a time honored tradition to usher in a new regime of government, it's been used quite a lot in human history.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sorry but if you think people breaking into the literal seat of government with restraints, weapons, and yelling to kill various members of the governing body, weren't "trying to take over the US" , then I think you have a strange idea of what a violent takeover looks like. Especially considering the day they were doing it, and what they were clearly trying to stop from happening. They wanted to enact what they thought should be the rule of law, and they were willing to try and enforce it with raw violence. Killing the people in charge is kind of a time honored tradition to usher in a new regime of government, it's been used quite a lot in human history.
True, I should have phrased that differently. I meant that they didn't seem to have any plan beyond attacking the government, which is important for taking over, but that means they weren't going to take over, not that they weren't trying to.