Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
True, I should have phrased that differently. I meant that they didn't seem to have any plan beyond attacking the government, which is important for taking over, but that means they weren't going to take over, not that they weren't trying to.
Maybe they didn't have a plotted out goal, though considering some of the evidence being suggested about possible help from officials on the inside, that might not be true. But regardless, a blind, angry mob can still tear down the current seat of government pretty easily, even if they have no plan. Just ask the French.

*EDIT* And I noticed this isn't the Current Events thread, so I'll stop this convo here, just to keep from derailing it into political talks.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
True, I should have phrased that differently. I meant that they didn't seem to have any plan beyond attacking the government, which is important for taking over, but that means they weren't going to take over, not that they weren't trying to.
As General Iroh asks “And then what?”

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
As General Iroh asks “And then what?”
Step 1: Attack Capitol
Step 2: Livestream!
Step 3: Possibly take hostages/commence lynchings.
Step 4: Something Something Voter Fraud something something THE STORM.
Step 5: Collect Underpants.
Step 6: T A H I T I
Step 7: Farm Mangos.
Step 8 : Profit!!!!!!!

So yeah, there was no plan. I suspect a number of these guys were high on their own supply(since Right wing media/Qanon seems to exist in it's own bizarre little reality bubble where THEY are the TRUE AMERICANS!) and no doubt some of them really, truely expected this to spark a full scale French Revolution style Revolution.

Or some of them watched Les Miserables, loved the scene where the Students start the uprising and then walked out before they all get killed by the army and assumed it all went to plan. Because Les Miserables was about the French Revolution, right? RIGHT?

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Just finished Lupin on Netflix. It was dumb fun until the end. I fucking HATE how Netflix shows never actually end. Always some stupid cliffhanger. Really sucks up any energy I have to watch them all.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

So yeah, there was no plan. I suspect a number of these guys were high on their own supply(since Right wing media/Qanon seems to exist in it's own bizarre little reality bubble where THEY are the TRUE AMERICANS!) and no doubt some of them really, truely expected this to spark a full scale French Revolution style Revolution.

Or some of them watched Les Miserables, loved the scene where the Students start the uprising and then walked out before they all get killed by the army and assumed it all went to plan. Because Les Miserables was about the French Revolution, right? RIGHT?
YoU jUsT nEeD tO hAvE fAiTh

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

You forgot Step 2.5: Promote your personal realty agency while committing felony

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Watchmen(2019)

Finished the last couple episodes. Overall a pretty good series and it actually more or less connected together in a satisfying manner. Don't get me wrong, there was some stuff that felt like it was stretching the limits of plausible but mostly I was willing to accept the story. Hong Chau does an excellant job at her role as Lady Trieu, being that "I have no idea if she's trying to screw them over or help them or help them and then screw them over" element until near the end. Actually a lot of good performances but hers stands out despite being a supporting character.

I mean, there's a lot of shit going on in this and trying to remotely talk about it all. One thing that did kinda not work so well was Dr. Manhattan doesn't impress the same way he does in the film or comic version, mostly because he felt more like a Blue Man Group guy then Dr. Manhattan(I'm not spoiling anything. The Trailers make it obvious he was gonna show up eventually) and certain elements near the end felt a bit forced(Dr. Manhattan stands in front of the cannon because......he has to for reasons. Hell, Dr. "I won the Vietnam War in a week" Manhatten could easily wipe out the 7th Kav from the inside of the house, but goes out because....fate or something) That part felt a bit contrived.

Also, kinda amazed one of the LOST guys did this considering how much LOST wasted it's potential despite a much longer running time, while this had 9 episodes and actually worked pretty well. So the real lesson is LOST needed 5 fewer seasons to keep them focused, I guess(because otherwise we get a bunch of episodes that go nowhere and are about nothing).

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also, kinda amazed one of the LOST guys did this considering how much LOST wasted it's potential despite a much longer running time, while this had 9 episodes and actually worked pretty well. So the real lesson is LOST needed 5 fewer seasons to keep them focused, I guess(because otherwise we get a bunch of episodes that go nowhere and are about nothing).
IIRC, I think, to an extent, Lost suffered from the writers being told at the last minute that the show was being extended longer than expected, so put more padding and mysteries in without much preparation.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
IIRC, I think, to an extent, Lost suffered from the writers being told at the last minute that the show was being extended longer than expected, so put more padding and mysteries in without much preparation.
I think those guys need an end date. I dont think they had any idea how Lost was ever going to finish

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I think it was more systemic then that. I mean, the numbers were explained....in a side game....you played on a website.....between seasons 2 and 3(I think) and if you didn't know about that at the time, well, guess what, the Numbers are gonna be a mystery forever unless you read the wiki because LOST couldn't be bothered to actually mention that during the 6 seasons the show was on.

And before anyone askes, the Numbers were key numbers in an equation in the LOST universe that predicted how long Humanity had until it goes extinct(so like a countdown version of the drake equation). Which apparently was supposed to tie into the "Dead" universe from season 6 where the island is underwater because the Island is apparently the source of all life or something. Which also isn't mentioned in the show either.

Instead we got episodes about Jacks Tattoos and Hurley chasing a damn frog, because the show just didn't care about it's own mysteries. Yeah, I was kinda pissed when I learned there was supposed to be meaning to a bunch of the wierd shit going on but the show feels like it's too cool to bother to explain it's own mythology at any point, so we spend a lot of time on people trekking across the island over and over, finding interesting shit and not really caring to ask about any of it(Why is there a giant statue foot? What did the Hatch button DO? and so on).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Rewatching The Office for the millionth time. Incoming boring take: first season has that pilot awkwardness that always shows up retrospectively (Seinfeld has it, even Sopranos and Mad Men have it), seasons two and three are the show's finest and season four is where things start going south (despite featuring some truly classic episodes).

Problem number one is sorting out Jim & Pam's will-they-won't-they, which immediately turns them into the two most boring people on Earth, on top of a little bit smug. This means the show has to come up with another star-crossed romance by breaking up Dwight and Angela in a ridiculous way and then coming up with a love triangle with Andy. And frankly speculating on a couple getting back together just isn't as exciting as a couple getting together in the first place.

Michael and Jan steal the show for this one, and I find them infinitely more interesting and funny than Jim and Pam (or Michael and Holly for that matter). Their arc makes up some of the best episodes on the season - like The Deposition and Dinner Party.

I don't like yuppie Ryan. I know you're not supposed to but I miss seasons 1-3 Ryan. He was great and unique as a version of Jim that reacted realistically but in horror or with aplomb to the wackiness of the office. I never bought his sudden rise from temp to exec, and they might as well have made up a new character if they were (just as unrealistically) going yo keep Ryan as a temp after serving time for mass fraud.

Sideline characters start getting more attention, which is nice, but here's my other big problem with the course of the show: Michael starts blending in with the generalized zaniness of everybody else in the office. He's not the sole source or focal point of the wackiness anymore, nor is there that insurmountable division or tension between him and the people he's trying to win over. Everyone is just kinda chummy and cozy with each other, and as cute as that is it robs us from the kind of friction that made for some of the best moments of the first three seasons. Which in turn means the show itself becomes increasingly wacky in an attempt to make up for that friction.

That goes for Jim and Dwight as well, now that they're more friends than enemies. Again: very cute, but no more conducent to humor than Michael's irreverent avuncular relationship with everybody else.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Disenchantment season 3

Still flops about between old school episodic format and modern long form narrative focus. Still a comedy that is not funny. And still remarkable how a team of writers, voice actors and other talent that has The Simpsons and Futurama under its belt, some of the greatest tv of its time, manages to create something that just doesn't work well.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Disenchantment season 3

Still flops about between old school episodic format and modern long form narrative focus. Still a comedy that is not funny. And still remarkable how a team of writers, voice actors and other talent that has The Simpsons and Futurama under its belt, some of the greatest tv of its time, manages to create something that just doesn't work well.
I'm only about 5 episodes into the first season, but I'd say the handprint of The Simpsons and especially Futurama is very present, to the show's detriment. And mainly in regards to Lucy who feels like the typical Matt Groening character; A character who drinks and smokes and is oh-so risqué because of it. This feels like such an outdated and trite way to make a character seem edgey, but then it already felt trite when they did it with Bender in Futurama. I can pretty much tell every reaction this character is going to have to any situation, due to how they're set up as the 'bad boy who isn't fully evil'.

Apart from that it just kinda has Shrek written a bit all over it. The 'this ain't your mom's fantasyland' mood it's trying to create, like we're in the late 90's or something. Again, it feels like Matt Groening is stuck in the past. We've had a lot of fantasy cartoons come out in the last 10 years that are so much more imaginative and fresh than Disenchantment, even by Disney itself. Heck, just look at Amphibia.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm only about 5 episodes into the first season, but I'd say the handprint of The Simpsons and especially Futurama is very present, to the show's detriment. And mainly in regards to Lucy who feels like the typical Matt Groening character; A character who drinks and smokes and is oh-so risqué because of it. This feels like such an outdated and trite way to make a character seem edgey, but then it already felt trite when they did it with Bender in Futurama. I can pretty much tell every reaction this character is going to have to any situation, due to how they're set up as the 'bad boy who isn't fully evil'.

Apart from that it just kinda has Shrek written a bit all over it. The 'this ain't your mom's fantasyland' mood it's trying to create, like we're in the late 90's or something. Again, it feels like Matt Groening is stuck in the past. We've had a lot of fantasy cartoons come out in the last 10 years that are so much more imaginative and fresh than Disenchantment, even by Disney itself. Heck, just look at Amphibia.
In a way, Matt Groening has become Grandpa Simpson

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Giri/Haji - solid but a slow burn - 7/10

A show that's about the Yakuza but mainly set in England. The characters are well done and it has a rather interesting ending bit that actually reminded me of the TLOU alternate ending.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Psycho Pass Season 1

Decided to re-watch that since I used to like that show a lot and I honestly thought it'd be pretty edgy and cringey, especially since I remember season 2 being just that and season 3 wasn't all that good either, but I was pleasantly surprised, it's a surprisingly very sharp "Cyberpunk" critique of mainly policing but also systems of governance, by which I mean both Capitalism and more specific stuff such as representative democracy and the welfare state, the characters are also fairly interesting and I think the fact that the naive wide-eyed detective's arc is that her kindness and idealism aren't in any way a weakness but in fact a strength is actually fairly refreshing, specially in a genre where cynics are usually the main characters, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually better than I remember, don't know if I'll rewatch the second season, I know almost none of the staff that worked on the first one worked on it and I remember it being pretty bad, but Season one is definitely worth a watch, probably will go back to having Akane as an avatar because she's pretty cool.

Atlanta

I don't know why I started watching this show, I basically just clicked on it randomly but it's pretty good, I'm currently mid-way through season 2 and I'm surprised that I never see anyone talking about this show, it has a very interesting style of surreal absurdist humour mixed with a pretty gritty representation of life in the hood, not to mention that it's commentary on what it's like to live as a black person in America is pretty top notch, it knows when to get emotional and it's also absolutely hilarious it has genuinely made me laugh like an idiot in multiple occasions, it's great I'll continue watching no idea how many seasons there are but it's good shit.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks (3/5)

This special is a mess. It's a mess with quite a bit of fun stuff in it, but it's a mess all the same. And definitely a step down from the previous Christmas...sorry, NEW YEAR'S special, Resolution. But while the BBC continues its war on Christmas aside, let's long at this piece of twaddle.

So, from Revolution, the dalek scout shell is taken away in a truck. The truck driver parks outside a roadside cofee stall, buys coffee, but it's drugged, and he's dragged away, and the casing is retrieved. How the evil-doers knew he'd stop at that particular spot, or how they knew he'd order a beverage is beyond me, but whatever. The shell is used as the basis for defence drones in the UK, as part of a partnership between the incoming prime minister (who I can't help but wonder is meant to be a spoof on Theresa May) and Evil Busines Guy from the episode Arachnids in the UK. No, I don't recall their names, and no, I don't care.

Anyway, Yaz is trying to find the Doctor, while Graham and Ryan have kind of moved on. Meanwhile, the Doctor is still in the space jail she was put in at the end of the prior season. These jail sequences are pretty good - they're well edited, and there's good fanservice as we see other beasties imprisoned. Such as the Weeping Angel that always tries to break its cage, but can't (and being a Weeping Angel, we never see it in the attempt), or the Doctor meeting a silent, always commenting that "hey, I haven't seen you before." Oh, and the metal-eating monster from season 11 is back. No, I don't recall its name, and no, I can't be arsed to find it. But whatever, Jack Harkness breaks the Doc out of prison.

Concerning Jack himself, I'm mixed - John Barrowman still does a good job, but he's aged a lot since he first appeared, so there's kind of cognitive dissonance that someone meant to be immortal has visually aged - kind of how Ian McKellan looks weird in The Hobbit when he looks older than he did in Lord of the Rings. Also, nice as it is to have Jack back, he still has to share the spotlight with five other characters (Doctor, three companions, Evil Business Guy), so he doesn't stay around much. Turns out the Doctor has been in prison for decades, and is still hung up over the Timeless Child revelation. Jack gives her the same pep talk that Ruth did in The Timeless Children, so...yay for repeating morals?

Fine. Back to Earth. A dalek drone was tested against fill-in rioters where it used stuff like a water cannon (keep that in mind), but now, in December 2020, the new prime minister (election cycle? What's that?) is unveiling thousands of drones in the UK, who'll do everything from scanning your passport, to having selfies, to aiding the police. Proving that the human race, or the UK, is filled with idiots. Because by this point in time, everyone on Earth knows (or should know) what daleks are, but no-one asks "Ms. Prime Minister, why are your drones built after Nazi space robots?" I've heard it argued that the episodes where the daleks revealed themselves en masse (from the Davies Era) have been retconned, but even if we accept that as being true, that doesn't make this much less stupid. Because not only should eyebrows be raised at UNIT for instance, but even that aside, apparently the entire country is fine with this, as people greet their new drone buddies with open arms. Ah yes, because it's not as if drone warfare isn't hugely controversial, or police under scrutiny these days. Nup. People love the drone rollout. Why? Because the human race is a bunch of idiots. Whether that statement applies to the DW humans or the writers of the BBC is a question I'll leave to you.

But hey, the dalek scout's DNA endured from the last special and have hijacked one of the scientists, and he's grown artificial daleks in Tokyo (why Tokyo? Fuck, I dunno). They get teleported into the casings of the drones, who go on a rampage with their death rays. Yes, the drones that originally had watercannons and the like in the prototype now have death rays. Why some genius decided to equip them with death rays, or how they got the tech for death rays is a question that's never asked, let alone answered. So, yay, daleks yelling exterminate.

Actually, to be fair, I do like the dalek drone designs, with the red eye and the red laser, not to mention the blacks and greys of their casing. Makes them visiaully distinct at least.

So, to deal with daleks, the Doctor calls in...more daleks! Yes, you see, the Skaro daleks will exterminate these Earth daleks because they're impure. That...isn't too bad a plot twist actually. Though it does have Evil Business Guy sell out the human race to survive, and lots of pew-pew and explosions and the Doctor having a second TARDIS or something, I kind of lost track. Though I did laugh when Evil Business Guy is hailed as a hero in the UK for standing up to the daleks. Once again proving that the human race is too dumb to live. I admittedly laughed a bit here at the sheer absurdity of it, and the grim realization that I could see this happening.

Oh, and the prime minister is killed during this as, on live TV, there's explosions everywhere, but assures everyone things are under control, and is shot on camera, and then the cameraman is shot. Gallows humour. Nice. Seemed to be channeling a bit of Harriet Jones there for a bit though.

Anyway, Jack leaves, Yaz stays with the Doctor, and Ryan and Graham leave. The goodbye isn't the greatest farewell the series has done, but it isn't too bad. I'll also give credit that I've finally got a sense as to what defines the Thirteenth Doctor, and that's family, or, rather, a yearning for companionship, given how she reacts. I don't know if that's really an in-depth defining trait, in the same way that I feel Docs 9-12 were defined, but hey, it was something. And, anyway, episode ends.

So, yeah. Episode's a mess plotwise, but there's some good stuff in it. That said, the series is still in a dearth of quality writing that I feel has plagued it since Moffat's era. Only at least with Moffat, his time was very creative conceptually. Chibnall is a bit more down to earth, like Davies, but his run lacks anything really creative, or if it does have it, it's nonsense (cough*Timeless Child*cough). Take what you can get I guess.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks (3/5)

<Snip>

So, yeah. Episode's a mess plotwise, but there's some good stuff in it. That said, the series is still in a dearth of quality writing that I feel has plagued it since Moffat's era. Only at least with Moffat, his time was very creative conceptually. Chibnall is a bit more down to earth, like Davies, but his run lacks anything really creative, or if it does have it, it's nonsense (cough*Timeless Child*cough). Take what you can get I guess.
I gave up on Who at the end of the Clara Arc(Clara was the finishing blow after the writing broke me) and every so often I wonder "Should I give the new seasons a chance?"

And then I read this and go "Okay, I'm not really missing anything". I mean, nothing I can't get from writing my own Dr. Who fanfiction when I'm bored.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Just finished Lupin on Netflix. It was dumb fun until the end. I fucking HATE how Netflix shows never actually end. Always some stupid cliffhanger. Really sucks up any energy I have to watch them all.
I'm watching it right now and I'm not really liking it. I'm 3 episodes in and honestly most of what the main character does doesn't make a whole lot of sense, or just relies on everyone else being incredibly stupid rather than him actually being clever in some way.

Like his break-in to the prison is absolute non-sense.

I can't turn my brain off quite enough to enjoy it. Not the way I can with something like Ocean's Eleven.