Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Now, whether or not that makes it Better is up to you. Most people tend to prefer one vastly more then the other. There is some evidence that both EoE and the last two episodes both happen at the same time, or more specifically.....EP25/26 happen right around the time Kom Susser Todd is playing while Third Impact is going on and EP25/26 can be interpreted as everyone going through a sort of introspective hell because all of humanity is sharing souls/consciousness because of Third Impact merging everyone into a sort of mega-being/god somehow coordinated by REI/Lilith. Are you confused yet?
Episode 25 and 26 run parallel to EoE from the start to finish. There's brief scenes in those last two episodes that show events that occur before Kom Susser Todd.

Asuka sitting in her Eva, Gendo coming to pick up Rei, and Misato and Ritsuko lying dead.

The latter is what really tore me up when watching Episode 25 and 26 for the first time; Just quickly showing me two characters lying dead and not bothering to even tell me what the fuck happened. And this was before EoE was even released on DVD. I still had to wait at least a year for that to happen.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Episode 25 and 26 run parallel to EoE from the start to finish. There's brief scenes in those last two episodes that show events that occur before Kom Susser Todd.

Asuka sitting in her Eva, Gendo coming to pick up Rei, and Misato and Ritsuko lying dead.

The latter is what really tore me up when watching Episode 25 and 26 for the first time; Just quickly showing me two characters lying dead and not bothering to even tell me what the fuck happened. And this was before EoE was even released on DVD. I still had to wait at least a year for that to happen.
I remember Misato and RItsuko lying dead. I don't remember Asuka and Gendo. Maybe I need to watch those two eps again. That's why I assumed the events happen late in EoE, because Misato and Ritsuko have already been killed by that point.

And yeah, seeing those shots were like "Wait? WTF?"

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Finished South Park seasons 1 to 10 on Blu-ray. Don't know if I'm gonna get the 11 to 15 set, as the earlier seasons were best and I remember repeatedly thinking this as the new episodes were coming out. I'm tempted. If I do get 11 to 15, it will probably be my last of the collection.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I remember Misato and RItsuko lying dead. I don't remember Asuka and Gendo. Maybe I need to watch those two eps again. That's why I assumed the events happen late in EoE, because Misato and Ritsuko have already been killed by that point.

And yeah, seeing those shots were like "Wait? WTF?"
I only noticed it after having rewatched both a couple of times. Without the context of the movie you'll just take those scenes as part of the introspective randomness and not really think twice about it.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I watched the first episode of Space Force on Netflix. It's got a reasonably good premise - a respected general is given the impossible task of setting up a new branch of the military in order to occupy space and get "boots on the moon". It looks like Netflix spent some money on this, with great sets and locations, and two big stars in Steve Carrell and John Malkovitch. But the end result feels pretty awkward. It's not really a case that the jokes fall flat, but it's more like it's difficult to tell where the jokes are supposed to be. Maybe it's supposed to be more of a comedy drama, but then it's not that dramatic either.

Could just be a bad first episode. Not sure if I'll stick with it.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
After those last 2 episodes I don't even know if I want to. It was torture getting through them. I had to check how much was left around once a minute. Is End of Evangelion better?
End of Evangelion is very much made for people who found the series finale anticlimactic. They couldn't be more different.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Space Force

Up until the last episode I was going back and forth between lukewarm and indifferent to the show, and then the finale made me feel scammed.
I think the overall weakness of the series comes from a combination of excessive subplotting and tonal dissonance. There are way too many subplots to develop and pay off, and most of them feel token and unnecessary (especially the family drama angle. The ***** daughter annoyed me so much I ended up skipping her scenes at no cost whatsoever). And the tone is all over the place: it wants to be a quirky workplace comedy, it wants to be an absurd Anchorman extravaganza, it wants to be Pixar-schmaltzy complete with soaring inspirational score, it wants to have dead-earnest tear-jerker moments redolent of Oscar clips, and it wants to be a satire of hissy fit culture without putting much of an effort, frankly. Carell and Malkovich are great but everybody else is wasted and the padding cripples the good stuff.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fair enough, I dunno, I just, always find something....off, about dubs versus the actual Japanese voices. I think it's usually in the emotional inflections, the Japanese actors just seem to have vocal inflections that better fit the scenes for me.
While there is some truth to that, there are some shows were the actors are on par or excel higher than their Japanese counterparts. Hell, the creator{s} of Cowboy Bebop (along w/ Samurai Champloo & Space Dandy), Panty & Stocking, Outlaw Star, FLCL, The Big O and certain other anime prefer the English dubs over their Japanese originals. If that tells you something, than I don't know what else. Sometimes I will listen to the Japanese version for curiosity sake, but overall, looking at subs does nothing for me at this point.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
While there is some truth to that, there are some shows were the actors are on par or excel higher than their Japanese counterparts. Hell, the creator{s} of Cowboy Bebop (along w/ Samurai Champloo & Space Dandy), Panty & Stocking, Outlaw Star, FLCL, The Big O and certain other anime prefer the English dubs over their Japanese originals. If that tells you something, than I don't know what else. Sometimes I will listen to the Japanese version for curiosity sake, but overall, looking at subs does nothing for me at this point.
*shrugs* It probably has more to do with which I hear first. LIke Cowboy Bebop was first introduced to me with dub, so that's what "normal" sounds like to me. Trigun is the same way, and Samurai Champloo. But for some, if I listen to them with the Japanese dialogue first, any time I try and listen to a dub, it's just off to me.

I do find however, that even though I am in no way a seasoned anime fan, and only really dabble in the medium, and certainly don't speak Japanese, I do prefer the subtitled version in most cases. If given the choice when first picking up a show, I'll always pick subtitled.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
You're surprised the Japanese cast would say that? I hate most of my own creations too. Some actors and directors don't even watch their own movies. I think Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star and FLCL sound better in Japanese. And it feels more right in Samurai Champloo and FLCL, being set in Japan.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You're surprised the Japanese cast would say that?
I'm not surprised; just pointing it out.

I think Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star and FLCL sound better in Japanese.
Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are debatable. More so the latter. They ain't bad, it's hard for to get used to them after hearing the English dubs for so long and being so iconic. None of the main cast are Japanese, and in CB, you see people of all walks of race and life. That is why I love Bebop's universe so much. Samurai Champloo and FLCL make more sense, because actually in Japan, but I see no point for myself looking at the sub version. All I have to say is if it's anime that does not takes in place in Japan (or its asian fantasy equivalent), it does not make sense for the entire population or set of characters to speak Japanese, other than it being broadcasted in the show's home country. See Hellsing Ultimate or Gunsmith Cats. Hellsing takes place in London and most of the characters are British, Scottish, German, or from somewhere in Europe. Gunsmith Cats takes place in mid 90s Chicago, so yeah, I don't need to all of America speak Japanese. As funny as that sounds.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are debatable. More so the latter. They ain't bad, it's hard for to get used to them after hearing the English dubs for so long and being so iconic. None of the main cast are Japanese, and in CB, you see people of all walks of race and life. That is why I love Bebop's universe so much. Samurai Champloo and FLCL make more sense, because actually in Japan, but I see no point for myself looking at the sub version. All I have to say is if it's anime that does not takes in place in Japan (or its asian fantasy equivalent), it does not make sense for the entire population or set of characters to speak Japanese, other than it being broadcasted in the show's home country. See Hellsing Ultimate or Gunsmith Cats. Hellsing takes place in London and most of the characters are British, Scottish, German, or from somewhere in Europe. Gunsmith Cats takes place in mid 90s Chicago, so yeah, I don't need to all of America speak Japanese. As funny as that sounds.
Does Schindler's List or The Hunt for Red October's cast make you not wanna watch, with the German and Russian characters speaking English? HBO's Chernobyl or Rome? Gladiator? Ben-hur? Paths of Glory? Hollywood does this a lot, so I don't see why when Japan does it, it should be enough reason to watch the English dub. Just need to remember that it's made for a Japanese audience. I got the Blu-ray version of Gunsmith Cats a couple of months ago, but haven't decided yet which language to watch it in. Haven't seen it in like ten years. I know I started it (the setting debate), but if I didn't think the Japanese dubs of Champloo and FLCL were superior, I wouldn't have even brought up that they take place in Japan.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Does Schindler's List or The Hunt for Red October's cast make you not wanna watch, with the German and Russian characters speaking English? HBO's Chernobyl or Rome? Gladiator? Ben-hur? Paths of Glory? Hollywood does this a lot, so I don't see why when Japan does it, it should be enough reason to watch the English dub.
I know the point you are trying to make, but I am not singling out Japan. That is just how I feel. I rarely have the paitence for Japanese dub, English Subs. Especially if the anime takes place in a non-Japanese setting.

Just need to remember that it's made for a Japanese audience.
I mentioned earlier. I know. Though there are exceptions. Outlaw Star success was an accident as it did not do well in its home country. Even the original creator does not remember much about his own show, and he created it. Only a few of the old otaku in Japan remember compared to those in the US or UK. Bebop had almost most nothing, but Western influcences aside from shout outs to John Woo, and would see better success in the West than its home country. After Bebops success in the States, it took the Japanese audience a second viewing to realize and appreciate an awesome show they had ignored. Panty and Stocking was always geared towards a Western audience in mind. The Big O even more so. The same studio that worked on Big O, also did animated several episodes of Batman: The Animated Series.

I reccomend you watch Gunsmith Cats in English. ADV did a good job dubbing it, and holds up surprisingly well. Where did you get a Blu Ray of Gunsmith Cats? I got my copy second hand back in 2014 for $30.00 on DVD.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
At about a single hour episode an evening, I've been watching "Fargo" with the missus. There are 3 seasons, 10 episodes a piece. It is an FX show we watch on Hulu.
It is almost impossible to get my wife to sit down and watch something unless she is really gripped. Well, she's watching this, so I think that is a pretty good review.
Each season is a bit like "American Horror Story". Some similarities but really a new story each year. Pretty crime based drama with some satire. Tonight we caught Season 3, Episode 1. The table is set for 9 more great episodes. Not sure if they've finished filming season 4 yet or not but Chris Rock will be a character in it.

faeyr

Escapist +
Apr 10, 2020
Ottawa
Country
Canada
I finally got around to the HBO Watchmen series.

This is the first show I've seen in awhile where I didn't think that there were any filler episodes in the middle. If anything, it could have used 10 episodes instead of 9 to give the story a bit more space to breath and clear up some loose ends. I won't say too much plot-wise as it's a Damon Lindelof mystery box thing, but it was an interesting attempt to capture the spirit of the book and interrogate some of its ideas and structures, while still trying to be its own beast. It's the only attempt at a Watchmen spin off so far that hasn't made my skin crawl, except in a good way. Very relevant at the moment in its discussion of race. Great perfomances. Great music choices, with a very distinctive score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Highly recommended.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are debatable.
Cowboy Bebop will always sound better in the original language. I've said it before, I'll say it again: USA's idea of "cool" couldn't be farther removed from Spike Spiegel.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cowboy Bebop will always sound better in the original language. I've said it before, I'll say it again: USA's idea of "cool" couldn't be farther removed from Spike Spiegel.
Your opinion. Ok. You've said this to me before on the old site. He's cool no matter the version, but I will never get Steve Blum out of my head.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rick and Morty S4. I decided to finish the 2nd half of this season, and it turned out better than the first half. The exact same problem with season 3. Shitty first half, better 2nd half. While I love that Rick is finally getting called out on his shit (everyone in the family gets their licks in and it is awesome!), and having it stick, I am still getting less invested in the show. I feel Season 5 should be the series finale. End it with the Evil Morty plot line. If they don't do that, I see no point in continuing and wasting time with the show. Also, I am just sick of shows about nihilistic sociopaths, animated or live actions, because they rarely change for the better, and the drama usually becomes wasted. Half the time I expected to care or sympathize with them on some level. When I lost all sympathy for Rick, since the beginning of Season 3.

With the final episode for this season, we learn that Rick is a worse father than Kratos. A worse father than Gendo Ikari (Ragyo beats him in worst parent in anime and arguably Rick too). A worse father than Sasuke Uchi---No! Fuck that emo dick bag even harder! That one I am taking back. Hell, people like Panty, Stocking, Scanty, and Kneesocks would look at Rick's actions with shock and disdain. The demon sister would react even more so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordon_4

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Just finished the third episode of Shaman King and am kind of undecided on whether to continue. It seems... not good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just finished the third episode of Shaman King and am kind of undecided on whether to continue. It seems... not good.
I recommend you keep going. The series is good, it just has a little slow start. It doesn't help that it does have the tropes of the shonen genre at the time and now. Though nowhere near as worst as today. The anime is onlu 64 episodes long. It's much better than the manga, which had a crappy ending. A really crappy ending. That fans had to wait four and a half years for. Are you watching in subs, or English dub? I recommendyou just go straight to the subs version. While the dub is not exactly terrible, there are some odd casting choices. What does not help does that 4kids dubbed SK. surprisingly they kept in about almost all the violence. Even kept in the blood too.