Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I watched the first four episodes of Snowpiercer. It's pretty good. Impressive production values with nice sets and costumes. The exterior FX shots occasionally look a bit dodgy, but they're not really that important. The series avoids the trap of overly simplistic "poor people good, rich people bad" storytelling with sympathetic characters across the social spectrum of the train. The series doesn't have the energy or pace of the movie, but it seems to be focusing more on world building at the moment.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I recommend you keep going. The series is good, it just has a little slow start. It doesn't help that it does have the tropes of the shonen genre at the time and now. Though nowhere near as worst as today. The anime is onlu 64 episodes long. It's much better than the manga, which had a crappy ending. A really crappy ending. That fans had to wait four and a half years for. Are you watching in subs, or English dub? I recommendyou just go straight to the subs version. While the dub is not exactly terrible, there are some odd casting choices. What does not help does that 4kids dubbed SK. surprisingly they kept in about almost all the violence. Even kept in the blood too.
I'm watching subs, I never bother with English dubs anymore. Unfortunately the Japanese dub is not exactly outstanding either so far. but okay, I'll keep going because you say so BrawlMan.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I finished watching Twin Peaks The Return.

I don't know how to feel about it. The whole thing felt so pointless. In the end there were no answers, most characters and side stories didn't go anywhere, there was no resolution to anything.

There were a few things that I liked about it, but it was mostly individual scenes. I can't say that I cared for the overall product. It honestly felt like David Lynch aping David Lynch. It didn't feel like a passion project that had been thought out, it felt like something that was thrown together because someone wrote a big enough check.

I don't know what I expected, or what I should have expected. This season definitely feels like the weakest part of Twin Peaks. It doesn't hit the highs of Season 1 or Season 2. Hell, it's not even as good as the worst parts of season 2.

I really wanted to like it, but thinking back on it, there was just nothing there. The whole season is so hollow. And my expectations were already tempered, I knew that the show just kind of ends randomly, and yet I still didn't expect it to all be so pointless.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Star Trek: Picard.

So my intuition was pretty on the money: the writers of this show are either fans, or aware of, Mass Effect. Because there are several plot points that are lifted more or less wholesale from it

That said I had a pretty good time through out the whole thing. Its not perfect but it stacks up pretty well against most of TNG or DS9.

The good:

Rios, Raffi and Seven being on Picard's new for lack of a better word, crew. I think there's enough dramatic energy with this four alone for the next season, which I'm informed will include Guinen.

The new visual design - for as much as it too is ripping off Mass Effect - and effects really are damn good.

The whole idea behind Hugh's XB project. That is such a damn 'Star Trek' thing to do and its overdue.

Picard and Data getting to say goodbye. The show demonstrated admirable restraint with Data, showing up in episodes 1 and 10 in suitably dramatic bookends.

Every thing to do with Riker and Troi. I feel fans like me rather enjoyed seeing them at home and the like, and personally my heart clenched a little when I heard their daughter's name was Kestra

Could go either way on:

Soji and Elnor. There is dramatic potential for both of these characters, Soji especially being a sapient synth, however it will require some smaller but meatier stuff than what they were both permitted in Season 1.

Commodore Oh. Tamlyn Tomita plays a good Romulan, and as a character for the Romulans she's a coup because holy shit she became Director of Starfleet Security. I do not envy whatever Internal Affairs team that will undoubtedly be going over everything that woman was ever even distantly involved in because its going to be thankless as fuck. I don't want to lose her, but her involvement going forward is going to either need to be disavowed by the Romulan Free States OR an example of a resurgent Empire.

Stuff I would do differently but aren't deal-breakers:

Hugh. Man was there so much that we could have had with him and Seven and that cube.

Picard's survival from the brain disease. I'd honestly have been cool with him dying at the end, so long as Riker got to stick around, but if it had been me needing to deus ex machina my way out of killing Jean-Luc Picard, my first call would have been to John DeLancie's agent

Zhaban and Laris; these two and Picard had excellent chemistry - Laris in particular is a fucking hoot - and I can think of worse people to have my back than a pair of ex-Tal Shiar operatives. With any luck season 2 will find a way to reintegrate them.

The bad:

Agnes Jurati: oh boy. This is probably the result of the character being the only non-Starfleet/Romulan warrior monk on the ship but this character is fucking insufferable and although even the most incompetent lawyer would get her murder of Bruce Maddox reduced significantly, she still needs to be deposited on the nearest Starbase for a debrief and a stint in jail. Allison Pill is a fine enough actress but they gave her nothing to really work with here. Get rid of her, and bring in Simon Tarses.

Narissa and Narek; okay we get it writers: Lena Hedley and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau were both devilishly handsome and had good chemistry as Cersei and Jamie Lannister. However neither Narissa or her brother Narek were played nearly as well or intelligently. It was creepy, added nothing to the plot and just made me roll my eyes.

The swearing; this is the pettiest thing that I, as a person who uses the word fuck like its a punctuation mark, has ever complained about but its weird hearing people say 'fuck' in Star Trek. The setting is no stranger to lesser swears like bastard or even the odd shit - most memorably from Commander Data himself as the Enterprise D's saucer section is plummeting towards Viridian III - but dropping F bombs? Just.....no. Just no. Pack that shit in quick smart.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Star Trek: Picard.

So my intuition was pretty on the money: the writers of this show are either fans, or aware of, Mass Effect. Because there are several plot points that are lifted more or less wholesale from it

That said I had a pretty good time through out the whole thing. Its not perfect but it stacks up pretty well against most of TNG or DS9.

The good:

Rios, Raffi and Seven being on Picard's new for lack of a better word, crew. I think there's enough dramatic energy with this four alone for the next season, which I'm informed will include Guinen.

The new visual design - for as much as it too is ripping off Mass Effect - and effects really are damn good.

The whole idea behind Hugh's XB project. That is such a damn 'Star Trek' thing to do and its overdue.

Picard and Data getting to say goodbye. The show demonstrated admirable restraint with Data, showing up in episodes 1 and 10 in suitably dramatic bookends.

Every thing to do with Riker and Troi. I feel fans like me rather enjoyed seeing them at home and the like, and personally my heart clenched a little when I heard their daughter's name was Kestra

Could go either way on:

Soji and Elnor. There is dramatic potential for both of these characters, Soji especially being a sapient synth, however it will require some smaller but meatier stuff than what they were both permitted in Season 1.

Commodore Oh. Tamlyn Tomita plays a good Romulan, and as a character for the Romulans she's a coup because holy shit she became Director of Starfleet Security. I do not envy whatever Internal Affairs team that will undoubtedly be going over everything that woman was ever even distantly involved in because its going to be thankless as fuck. I don't want to lose her, but her involvement going forward is going to either need to be disavowed by the Romulan Free States OR an example of a resurgent Empire.

Stuff I would do differently but aren't deal-breakers:

Hugh. Man was there so much that we could have had with him and Seven and that cube.

Picard's survival from the brain disease. I'd honestly have been cool with him dying at the end, so long as Riker got to stick around, but if it had been me needing to deus ex machina my way out of killing Jean-Luc Picard, my first call would have been to John DeLancie's agent

Zhaban and Laris; these two and Picard had excellent chemistry - Laris in particular is a fucking hoot - and I can think of worse people to have my back than a pair of ex-Tal Shiar operatives. With any luck season 2 will find a way to reintegrate them.

The bad:

Agnes Jurati: oh boy. This is probably the result of the character being the only non-Starfleet/Romulan warrior monk on the ship but this character is fucking insufferable and although even the most incompetent lawyer would get her murder of Bruce Maddox reduced significantly, she still needs to be deposited on the nearest Starbase for a debrief and a stint in jail. Allison Pill is a fine enough actress but they gave her nothing to really work with here. Get rid of her, and bring in Simon Tarses.

Narissa and Narek; okay we get it writers: Lena Hedley and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau were both devilishly handsome and had good chemistry as Cersei and Jamie Lannister. However neither Narissa or her brother Narek were played nearly as well or intelligently. It was creepy, added nothing to the plot and just made me roll my eyes.

The swearing; this is the pettiest thing that I, as a person who uses the word fuck like its a punctuation mark, has ever complained about but its weird hearing people say 'fuck' in Star Trek. The setting is no stranger to lesser swears like bastard or even the odd shit - most memorably from Commander Data himself as the Enterprise D's saucer section is plummeting towards Viridian III - but dropping F bombs? Just.....no. Just no. Pack that shit in quick smart.
I don’t think they used Raffi enough. They could have cut her and it wouldn’t have changed the story. She has potential but nothing shows Up yet

Completely agree on Agnes. The whole ending went TNG. ‘We need to reset before starting the next episode/ season.’ Picard being the other reset. It undercuts every action they took, making it seem like there are no consequences. It’s more disconcerting here, as they’ve been pretending like actions have consequences, unlike TNG which feels more like vignettes with the same characters

The swearing was only for shock value. Use it when it means something, like Data swearing when they’re about to crash. Lastly, I hate Q. I don’t want him in Trek Anymore

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don’t think they used Raffi enough. They could have cut her and it wouldn’t have changed the story. She has potential but nothing shows Up yet
Yeah but you can look at Raffi and think 'There are things to do and places to go wit this character'. Unlike Agnes who we both agree is dramatic dead weight.

The whole ending went TNG. ‘We need to reset before starting the next episode/ season.’ Picard being the other reset. It undercuts every action they took, making it seem like there are no consequences. It’s more disconcerting here, as they’ve been pretending like actions have consequences, unlike TNG which feels more like vignettes with the same characters
I can go either way, honestly. And as deus ex machina go, this is not one without precedent in Star Trek as we saw with Juliana Tainer in TNG.

Lastly, I hate Q. I don’t want him in Trek Anymore
Don't make me come over there :p

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I recommend you keep going. The series is good, it just has a little slow start. It doesn't help that it does have the tropes of the shonen genre at the time and now. Though nowhere near as worst as today. The anime is onlu 64 episodes long. It's much better than the manga, which had a crappy ending. A really crappy ending. That fans had to wait four and a half years for. Are you watching in subs, or English dub? I recommendyou just go straight to the subs version. While the dub is not exactly terrible, there are some odd casting choices. What does not help does that 4kids dubbed SK. surprisingly they kept in about almost all the violence. Even kept in the blood too.
I can't stand that girl, Anna. She's completely awful without any redeeming qualities thus far. She does nothing but yell at people to work harder. It's disgusting. Any reasonable person would have dumped her out on her ear after the first episode she appeared.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can't stand that girl, Anna. She's completely awful without any redeeming qualities thus far. She does nothing but yell at people to work harder. It's disgusting. Any reasonable person would have dumped her out on her ear after the first episode she appeared.
Yeah, Anna can be a big b(i)tch. This one of those cases of double standard abuse at it's worse and did not look good even back then. The manga delves in to her backstory a lot more and her relastionship with Yoh. But even with that in mind, this does not make her sympathetic. I still consider characters like Naru Suragawa or Asuka Langely worse, but Anna Kiyoyama is up there. Anna, along with the main villain (mianly the manga version), is known as a base breaker.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yeah, Anna can be a big b(i)tch. This one of those cases of double standard abuse at it's worse and did not look good even back then. The manga delves in to her backstory a lot more and her relastionship with Yoh. But even with that in mind, this does not make her sympathetic. I still consider characters like Naru Suragawa or Asuka Langely worse, but Anna Kiyoyama is up there. Anna, along with the main villain (mianly the manga version), is known as a base breaker.
We have a swear filter now?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Just who was Micheal Ellis? There's a Monty Python sketch where people keep mistaking someone for Micheal Ellis, and reference is also made to a Micheal Ellis in Red Dwarf.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog (2/5)

You ever start consuming a piece of media, find you dislike it, but force yourself to continue? Mystic Knights is one such thing.

The only reason I watched this was because of Movie Bob's episode on it. I'd never heard of it before, but decided to give it a shot. I mean, Irish Power Rangers? Well, that's...something, I guess. I actually makes an interesting study in a sense, in that we have Super Sentai (Japanese) being made into Power Rangers (American), being made into Mystic Knights (Irish). However, although "Irish Power Rangers" was more or less the selling point (or more specifically, Saban trying to do their own PR show in-house), the thing is, this show...it really isn't like Power Rangers. At all.

To demonstrate this, I'll ask you, what are some of the fundamentals of Power Rangers? There's exceptions to this, but I'll list some out:

1) Multi-coloured characters, with red being the de facto leader, and the one who gets the most goodies

2) Of that group, at least one new ranger will join the group down the line

3) The Rangers are pretty much the only group in the setting that can accomplish anything (like, the military can't do jack shit against monsters)

4) Each ranger has a zord, and the zords can combine to form a megazord

5) Most episodes usually have the formula of setup-grunts-monster-monster is defeated-monster grows-zord is called-monster is defeated

You can point to exceptions, and can debate about what constitutes the basics of PR, but hopefully that's a reasonable list. However, the thing is, Mystic Knights only conforms to the first two options. Because MK is in the context of a larger war, and the knights are, well, knights - special, but not so special that men-at-arms are useless. None of them have zords - there's a dragon that's used every so often, but very rarely, likely due to budget. And there's no set episode formula. Oh sure, certain plot points repeat, but the PR formula I described simply doesn't apply. And while not a tenet, MK is nowhere near as over the top as PR, and is clearly made on a lower budget. Yes, there's a tonne of extras, but the fighting is dull as dishwater. The knights will often use their weapons to shoot stuff rather than use them for anything approaching choreographed combat. PR at least made that work. So, no. Mystic Knights has far more in common with Medieval-esque fiction than sentai-esque fiction.

Why do I bring this up? Because honestly, comparing MK with PR in the context of its production gives me far more to talk about. Because MK is, as I stated, dull as dishwater. This is a children's show with children's-level writing. Characters are okay, and I can buy their dynamic, but there's barely anything to discuss. I mean, there's some interesting potential (two kingdoms warring over not!Ireland as to who controls the throne), plus marriages of allegiance, and something approaching military tactics, but there's really nothing worth discussing. PR could be fun by being batshit crazy (e.g. MMPR), or at times actually having decent character development (e.g. RPM), but...oh God, I'm still talking about Power Rangers.

Really, the greatest problem with MK is that it's dull. It ends on a "to be continued," but I don't care. Power Rangers or Medieval fiction, there's much better alternatives.

Reactions: BrawlMan

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I think a remake is supposed to come out this year or the next, so I'd just wait until then.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think a remake is supposed to come out this year or the next, so I'd just wait until then.
The remake won't really solve this issue, as this is how she is in the manga. Especially at the beginning and mid point. I find this odd, because I remember all the way back in 2014, the creator said he did not want to do a remake, and saw no point. I wonder what changed? Because I agree with him. The remake is just going to be a more accurate adaption of the manga, then count me out. Unless he changes the writing that occured after the 5 year hiatus of the original manga and the God awful ending, I see no point. In between and after the hiatus, the writing got really bad and misanthropic.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
The remake won't really solve this issue, as this is how she is in the manga. Especially at the beginning and mid point. I find this odd, because I remember all the way back in 2014, the creator said he did not want to do a remake, and saw no point. I wonder what changed? Because I agree with him. The remake is just going to be a more accurate adaption of the manga, then count me out. Unless he changes the writing that occured after the 5 year hiatus of the original manga and the God awful ending, I see no point. In between and after the hiatus, the writing got really bad and misanthropic.
I pretty much just replied to the most recent shaman king post so it wasn't meant to say that Anna could improve (because she can't, because she's a bad character).
I don't really remember the ending to the anime and only have a vague recollection of the manga ending, but I do remember finding the anime art janky, especially since there were some really cool scenes in the manga. A better art style might make the anime more watchable and make it easier do disregard bad characters or plot holes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't really remember the ending to the anime and only have a vague recollection of the manga ending, but I do remember finding the anime art janky, especially since there were some really cool scenes in the manga. A better art style might make the anime more watchable and make it easier do disregard bad characters or plot holes.
Better art style can only do so much for me. If the characters get derailed, the plots gets up its own ass and preachy (not to mention hypocritical), and a villain that fails at being sympathetic, then there is no point. I might as well look at an actually painting or light show. While the anime's art style could get janky at times, Shaman King was not the only anime to suffer from this around that same time period. It's also a case of art evolution, as if you go back to the older chapters, characters could be off model in the very beginning, Something that got fixed around the rescue Ren Tao arc. I remember both endings quite well. The anime version was satisfying enough for me, while the manga ending did nothing, but made me rage.

Last edited:

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Better art style can only do so much for me. If the characters get derailed, the plots gets up its own ass and preachy (not to mention hypocritical), and a villain that fails at being sympathetic, then there is no point. I might as well look at an actually painting or light show. While the anime's art style good get janky at times, Shaman King was not the only anime to suffer from this around that same time period. It's also a case of art evolution, as if you go back to the older chapters, characters could be off model in the very beginning, Something that got fixed around the rescue Ren Tao arc. I remember both endings quite well. The anime version was satisfying enough for me, while the manga ending did nothing, but made me rage.
Agreed 100%, I think the Shaman King story started out pretty cool with the early story(when they were just messing around in Japan(and china, I think?)), then it became way worse when they went to the tournament, because they had to up the stakes all the time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Agreed 100%, I think the Shaman King story started out pretty cool with the early story(when they were just messing around in Japan(and china, I think?)), then it became way worse when they went to the tournament, because they had to up the stakes all the time.
They were in China briefly when rescuing Ren. That is what you're thinking of. The tournament part was really bad in the manga. it didn't help that just became cheap in the manga version and like Dragon Ball Z, it became meaningless. That is why I hate the manga so much. In the anime, when a character died, they stay dead.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
They were in China briefly when rescuing Ren. That is what you're thinking of. The tournament part was really bad in the manga. it didn't help that just became cheap in the manga version and like Dragon Ball Z, it became meaningless. That is why I hate the manga so much. In the anime, when a character died, they stay dead.
It is generally a flaw of shounen, characters rarely stay dead (have to cash in on that name recognition, and a strange assumption that if the fans liked a character as a villain they will also like the character as an ally), and there will always be a tournament arc of some kind.