Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished season two of Homecoming. I found it entertaining, every episode is just long enough and always end on a suitable cliffhanger. As a thriller it's definitely a step down from season one though. Part of it is because, by the end of season one, the cat is out of the bag and every mystery has been sorted with just enough detail. Season two doesn't have much to go on. I think the trick to these kind of thrillers goes beyond simply being obfuscating and vaguely portentous: you need to plant at least one specific question you want answered. Who is the killer? What's in the box? Is this real or imaginary? Dude, where's my car? Season 2 of Homecoming has none of this. It just keeps pulling the string until the whole thing unravels and you see it lying on the ground. You were never that invested but hey, at least now you know how far it goes.

Having said that, I did get a kick out of the ending. It's silly but immensely satisfying, especially after having been saddled with such unsavory characters.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Old, black and white episode of Dragnet.

Don't think you can take the bullets out of a dead cop and say they are from a 45 automatic (could be .45LC, surely?). And, when the police go after the guy, they should be really tooled up and in numbers. But otherwise decent enough.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
In Season 1 he is quite annoying. He gets toned down a bit in later seasons, if that makes you feel better.

Even among Dwarf fans, season 1 is pretty rough. The show has a really wierd quality curve where it starts off okay, gets better, gets good, then goes into decline for a bit(season 6 and 7 they're stuck on a shuttlecraft, having lost the ship), makes a brief uptick around season 8 and the less said about the seasons after that, the better. I've seen a couple of the post 8 seasons and none of them have really impressed me.

Or maybe that's my personal assessment.
I watched it way way after it was done specifically because I wanted to see one episode I heard about where the characters have to prove their reason for existance, and I basically agree. Once Cat grew a personality, the bot came onboard, and Rimmer/Lister figured their bro love/hate situation out it got way better. I stopped watching midway through season 9 because the whole thing seemed to just become very bleh. Went from an interesting "we don't know if this is gonna make it so, fuck it, right?" kind of writing and fun to a weird kind of love letter nudge nudge wink to fans.

Just finished watching Wakfu, speaking of shows that are solid for a while and then wander off to meh town. Apparently its a fairly old French cartoon, done in a half anime half flash kind of animation style. The English voices are rough at times, but after the first couple episodes S1 moved nicely into monster of the day broken up by big bad. Monster designs were cool, motivations were interesting and evolving as understanding improved. S2 declined a bit because it lacked an antagonist who was as neat as S1s, but it had some solid character development and real growth happened rather than just status quo. S3 blew.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Season 2 of Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix.

It's a documentary series following the fortunes of the real life Sunderland FC from the north of England. Following on from Season 1 where the team were relegated from the 2nd tier of English football and bought out by new owners, Season 2 sees the new owners and manager attempt to get the club promoted back up while trying to balance the books as the club was hemorrhaging money, sign new players, try and avoid losing key players etc all while the long suffering fans look on. You really get a sense of how important sports teams can be to people especially in working class cities like Sunderland where they don't really have much else.

Pretty decent watch if you've any interest in football (of the soccer variety) and a nice change of style from the kind of thing I normally watch

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams. Still think it's merely just OK, suffers from comparison to anything inspired by PKD writings since Blade Runner. Many episodes also suffer from being too similar too each other. I realize thematic similitudes are inevitable but so many episodes are structured like each other, beat by beat, down to one of two or three kinds of endings. They're entertaining enough while they last but none too memorable.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Massively influential 90s anime series about a boy piloting large robots to fight monsters referred to as angels. Generally considered one of the great artistic accomplishments of anime and... well, sure, I guess it was pretty good. It took it a while to get there, though. Evangelion starts off fairly formulaic, there's this kid called Shinji more or less forced to pilot a mech for an organization headed by his estranged father to fight Kaiju that seem to attack in fairly regular intervals. Even early on, Evangelion deserves quite a bit of credit for its strong characterizations, Shinji especially presents a fairly believable interpretation of the "teenage hero" that's so popular in both eastern and western pop culture, but the supporting cast, except for Asuka, is very compelling too and only gets moreso the more we find out about them. But no, seriously, even once the show actually gets around to Asuka's obligatory tragic backstory, her characterization as a two dimensional abrasive ***** is just so over the top that it's hard to have sympathy with her, even then.

As I already mentioned, the series is fairly backloaded when it comes to its more artistic ambitions and... well, they mostly pay off. Mostly. While I still don't think the gratuitous references to judeo-christian mythology amount to much, the more psychological aspect of its conclusion are suprisingly well realized and, as a person suffering from very intense self loathing, did manage to hit home for me. That's really what keeps the series afloat, once the series starts to indulge more in its big, operatic, 2001: A Space Odyssey navel gazing, not gonna lie, it kinda lost me. I could follow it just fine, I could also understand just fine how it relates to the psychological themes but sometimes less is more. The series was as its best when it was focussing on its broken characters, their very nuanced relationships and personal histories, the big action setpieces, while visually impressive and often employing very unique and memorable iconography, seemed in many ways more like a framing device to provide context for these characters personal traumas. Which is while I was very happy that the final two episodes, while very abstract, showed a surprising degree of taste and restraint when it comes to providing some closure for these people. Looking at it from a more meta perspective, I understand the reason for the finale being the way is was had to do with budget constraints, but I think those worked out in its favour. Focussing on internal, rather than external struggles, which really had been at the core of the series, was a rather wise decision and winding down with Shinji resolving his personal issues after the last angel had been defeated was much more satisfying than any big, bloated action climax would have been.

So I'm very happy they left it at that and didn't try to ruin a perfectly good, if somewhat low key, ending that provided some personal resolution with 90 minutes of pointless spectacle and indulgently "artsy" visuals that add very little to the series themes aside from doubling down on all the goofy operatics and aimless "lore" that dragged down the series. Boy. That would have been a really silly thing to do.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Rick & Morty S04E10. Ye gods, Rick is a massive piece of shit. I mean, it's not much of a discussion and something anyone who paid the slightest attention knew for a lon time now, but I have no idea how anyone can still think Rick is someone to be admired after this season (unless they're a sociopath).
Recently saw the first season of Harley Quinn, and it surprised the hell out of me, not just by not being shit, but by actually being really fucking good. I was extremely hesitant initially since DC animation and the R-rating is a recipe for edgy garbage, but Harley Quinn doesn't take itself too serious so all the cusses and gore don't come across as an attempt to appear mature and serious within the superhero landscape.
Which is kind of ironic, since the way it handles its core themes (mainly abusive relationships in season 1) is actually generally way more mature and serious than those aforementioned attempts to appear mature and serious.
Bane is fucking gold.
Yes. Just yes. This version is infinitely quotable. The streets will run with razzy zazzy!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Neon Genesis Evangelion
I agree with most of your points. The show is fascinating but has a tendency to disappear a bit too far up it's own ass at times and while I'm not a religious scholar by any means, as far as I can tell, most of the religious symbolism doesn't work because it doesn't really fit the context. I believe Anno outright stated he put in the crosses and such because it was cool and exotic, which jives with SEELEs eventual descent from vaguely informative cryptic hinting to nearly incomprehensible religious rambling.

And Yeah, it's hard to find Asuka at all sympathetic. Yeah, she had a shitty backstory, but it doesn't exist her shitty behaviour towards everyone else. Bojack Horseman had a horribly abusive childhood and it doesn't excuse the fact he's a rotten person(though BoJack ironically has a number of moments I can feel sympathy for him, even if they're fleeting).

For me, aside from the character studio, and oh god, I loathe to use the term(because JJ Abrams is a bit of a hack), it makes a good "Mystery Box" show, like Twin Peaks and The Prisoner before it. What are the angels? WTF does Blood type BLUE mean? What's with SEELE and Gendos wierd little discussions? What is NERV really about? What is Adam? Why does NERV have a crucified Angel in their basement? Even having watched the show several times through(most recently with the Netflix dub), it feels like I understand a little bit more each time and while some the answers we get don't feel as satisfying as the joy of pondering the mystery itself.

I do actually like EOE despite, and to some extent, because of its bombasticy. It did bring some closure to the narrative(otherwise SEELE/Gendos scheming is just left hanging and the mentions of the Mass Produced Evas comes to nothing) and provided some amazing moments. The fact that somehow they maneuvered Shinji into triggering the apocalypse(who at this point is borderline suicidal), probably completely by accident(maybe?) ends up being strangely poetic in a way(Gendos A+ parenting really paid off, didn't it?). Could have done without the hospital room scene, which really didn't need to exist at all.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yes. Just yes. This version is infinitely quotable. The streets will run with razzy zazzy!
I would almost accuse it of being lazy, since what he says isn't really funny on its own, it's the damn voice he says it in. And initially I thought this was just going to be a cheap swing at the Tom Hardy Bane, and that it would get tiresome real quick, but it just works consistently and the show totally made this parody character its own. They've been killing off a lot of villains in season 2, but I doubt we'll see the end of Bane anytime soon; The writers must know what they have in their possession with this character.
I agree with most of your points. The show is fascinating but has a tendency to disappear a bit too far up it's own ass at times and while I'm not a religious scholar by any means, as far as I can tell, most of the religious symbolism doesn't work because it doesn't really fit the context. I believe Anno outright stated he put in the crosses and such because it was cool and exotic, which jives with SEELEs eventual descent from vaguely informative cryptic hinting to nearly incomprehensible religious rambling.
I feel the religious names fit in that the people who run SEELE and NERV have delusions of grandeur. And they're also pretty much working to shape humanity's destiny. It makes sense they would name things Eva, Adam, Lilith, and Dogma when they see themselves as harnessing the power of God.

And Yeah, it's hard to find Asuka at all sympathetic. Yeah, she had a shitty backstory, but it doesn't exist her shitty behaviour towards everyone else. Bojack Horseman had a horribly abusive childhood and it doesn't excuse the fact he's a rotten person(though BoJack ironically has a number of moments I can feel sympathy for him, even if they're fleeting).
I think the worst you can say about Asuka is that her only purpose in the story is to light a fire under Shinji's ass. And that she's smug. At the start she's definitely the typical 'ain't she charming cuz she's such a stick-in-the-mud', but as soon as she starts her decent she becomes this wonderful mess, one you hardly ever see in anime. She's also initially pegged as Shinji's main love interest, but then she gets more fucked up and hateful (especially toward Shinji) the closer we get to the end.

I do actually like EOE despite, and to some extent, because of its bombasticy. It did bring some closure to the narrative(otherwise SEELE/Gendos scheming is just left hanging and the mentions of the Mass Produced Evas comes to nothing) and provided some amazing moments. The fact that somehow they maneuvered Shinji into triggering the apocalypse(who at this point is borderline suicidal), probably completely by accident(maybe?) ends up being strangely poetic in a way(Gendos A+ parenting really paid off, didn't it?). Could have done without the hospital room scene, which really didn't need to exist at all.
I honestly fucking love that scene. It's Shinji just not giving a shit anymore, and after Kaworu's death resorting to his base instincts just to feel something good. With every character it's almost like they can feel the literal end is coming and it permeates their whole mood. And none more than Shinji.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Rick & Morty S04E10. Ye gods, Rick is a massive piece of shit. I mean, it's not much of a discussion and something anyone who paid the slightest attention knew for a lon time now, but I have no idea how anyone can still think Rick is someone to be admired after this season (unless they're a sociopath).
Sounds like you just don't have a high enough IQ to appreciate the characters, man. Did you see where he turned into a pickle? Funniest shit I ever seen.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

For me, aside from the character studio, and oh god, I loathe to use the term(because JJ Abrams is a bit of a hack), it makes a good "Mystery Box" show, like Twin Peaks and The Prisoner before it. What are the angels? WTF does Blood type BLUE mean? What's with SEELE and Gendos wierd little discussions? What is NERV really about? What is Adam? Why does NERV have a crucified Angel in their basement? Even having watched the show several times through(most recently with the Netflix dub), it feels like I understand a little bit more each time and while some the answers we get don't feel as satisfying as the joy of pondering the mystery itself.

I have a great deal of love for Evangelion, mainly because I caught it on its initial airing in Australia in....I want to say 1998......when I was 12 so naturally a lot of the imagery, themes, and action blew the back of my skull off compared to what was available at the time.

So some of that love is definitely nostalgia. But I have rewatched the series several times since then and while I still love it - faults and all - it’s not for the same reasons as when I first loved it. I mean at first I hated Rei and Asuka to differing degrees but after I grew a bit and got a better understanding of tragedy in fiction I swung around to loving them. Also I think I’m in the super small minority that never hated Shinji; truth be told I felt for the kid, then and now.

Anywho since certain restrictions were eased in Aus, my grandfather and I have resumed watching Star Trek Picard. We’re up to episode 7 now and I find myself liking a lot of the aspects of the show from a visual design standpoint and even most of the new characters are fun - hell I’d watch a show just about Picard and his two Romulan living assistants because those two are fucking hilarious - I like Rios and Raffi, who is an interesting exploration of both mental illness and drug addiction in Star Trek and even Elnor has his moments. Also Goddamn Jeri Ryan looks good as a leather clad gunslinger.

With that in mind a creeping thought has been building about the show’s plot that came to a head in the recent episode. I won’t go into too much detail but:
Lets just say I think the writers of this show have more than a passing familiarity with Mass Effect

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is why I stopped watching midway through season 4. Enough was too much. When characters from Black Lagoon look morally better by comparison, you know you have f#cked up. I still yet to buy season 3 on dvd, and the first two season just sit there. I might either toss them in the trash in disgust or give them to a neighbor. Honestly, this dynamic was done better, and more tastefully, in the Tenchi shows (specifically the Universe continuity). See the start at 10:33-11:00 for those curious.

I saw all of the Cannon Busters on Netflix yesterday. A 90s style anime throwback to shows like Trigun, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo. With influences from Gurren Lagann, Space Dandy, and almost anything from Trigger. The show is one of those settings with a weird schizo-tech, western, high-fantasy that actually works. The show is about an immortal outlaw called Philly the Kid, who encounters a robot, named Casey, and an android named Sam looking for a prince of recently loss prince after his kingdom had been destroyed. Philly reluctantly helps them out and wacky hi-jinks ensues. This show won't change your life, but goddamned did I have a good time, and can't wait for season 2. Definitely better than a majority of the homogenized anime we get today. It wears the influences on its sleeves, but does more than enough to set itself apart. I can't describe anymore without spoiling the show, so I recommend you see it for yourself. The season is only 12 episodes long, so you have time to spare if interested.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I think the worst you can say about Asuka is that her only purpose in the story is to light a fire under Shinji's ass. And that she's smug. At the start she's definitely the typical 'ain't she charming cuz she's such a stick-in-the-mud', but as soon as she starts her decent she becomes this wonderful mess, one you hardly ever see in anime. She's also initially pegged as Shinji's main love interest, but then she gets more fucked up and hateful (especially toward Shinji) the closer we get to the end.
Oh, I can say much more then that. She's flat out abusive to both Rei and Shinji, and flat out assaults but Shinji and his friends on at least one occasion(Like on the first meeting where she smacks shinji's friends because they landed in the wrong place....under her dress). Neither Shinji or Rei do anything to warrant her treatment of them, which pretty much makes her a bully and that always rubs me the wrong way.

I feel a little bad for her when she ends up collapsing into a catatonic mess by the end, but only a little.

Also I think I’m in the super small minority that never hated Shinji; truth be told I felt for the kid, then and now.
I think he annoyed me the first time I watched it but on later viewings I sympathize a lot more with him. Kid is basically a child soldier thrust into deadly situations without so much as a pysch eval or a therapist and everyone gets made at him because he doesn't do well(you know, because they'd do so well if forced into battle with lovecraftian monstrosities and told if they failed the world will end...NO PRESSURE!). Add to his total neglect and lack of any real friends or family and I can see why he's an emotional wreck by the end.

I was telling a friend whose never seen the show about his breakdown when he finds out just who the Eva-03 pilot was. He made a joking summation like this.

Gendo: "BWAHAHAHAHA, watch from the front row as your EVA kills your only friend!"
Shinji: "This is too much, I can't stand it anymore!"
Gendo: "Petulant child!"

I told him it was actually pretty spot on. His response was "I was trying to exaggerate as much as possible, but Gendos poor parenting exceeds my parody skills"

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh, I can say much more then that. She's flat out abusive to both Rei and Shinji, and flat out assaults but Shinji and his friends on at least one occasion(Like on the first meeting where she smacks shinji's friends because they landed in the wrong place....under her dress). Neither Shinji or Rei do anything to warrant her treatment of them, which pretty much makes her a bully and that always rubs me the wrong way.

I feel a little bad for her when she ends up collapsing into a catatonic mess by the end, but only a little.
Pretty much the major reason why I hate this show. Bennett the Sage had really good rants on her.

That, and Gendo; fuck him. Too bad Ragyo took the worst parent in anime award.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Tropes of the time I suppose. The abrasive girl love interest was a lot more prevalent in anime back then, and I guess me and many others took it at face value. I come across a character like that in a show now and I'll fucking hate their guts. But no, I love Asuka. She's a *****, but she takes pride in her talent, and she's the only character who doesn't walk on eggshells around Shinji, which is what he needs. She also actually extends a hand to him a couple of times just to test the waters, but then quickly realizes he's too absorbed in his own self-esteem issues.
Also I think I’m in the super small minority that never hated Shinji; truth be told I felt for the kid, then and now.
I never hated Shinji either. There's the obvious fact that his dad totally messed him up, but more than that I love the unbriddled angst-rage he can unleash. It feels representative of that little part we all have inside us that's scared and confused about the world, but are too considerate to just let out. But Shinji isn't. I guess it's also the Japanese voice acting; nobody can scream like Megumi Ogata.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011

The thing about "Mystery Box" writing is that it always hinges on the payoff. And the reason that, say, J.J. Abrams stands out as a negative example here is that he's not only not very good at payoffs, he clearly doesn't even think about them until he has to. It's a very convenient way to to keep viewers interested in serialized storytelling by raising questions and holding off the answers but a lot of the time you're just setting them up for dissapointment. I love a good conspiracy story. Give me a bunch of shady rich people sitting around a table and hatching a cryptic scheme and you got me interested. It's just , once Evangelion actually reveals what SEELE is (They're an evil cult trying to bring about the apocalypse) I was like "... okay." And apparently there's some Expanded Universe material that states that they didn't actually wanted to merge the whole mankind into primordial orange juice but only become a godlike hivemind that rules over the rest of humanity themselves but, like, that's even less interesting.

Contrary to my snarky last paragraph there I didn't really hate EoE I just felt mostly ambivalent about it. It had a few moments I liked. Shinji jacking off over comatose Asuka was actually one of them. Maybe it was a bit exploitative but the movie actually showing the sort of fucked up impulses a person who's genuinely mentally unwell might have that explicitly deserves some acknowledgement. Also the scene of Misato kissing Shinji. It was weird and awkward and it worked. It's once the Third Impact starts that I started zoning out.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I suppose. The abrasive girl love interest was a lot more prevalent in anime back then, and I guess me and many others took it at face value. I come across a character like that in a show now and I'll fucking hate their guts. But no, I love Asuka.
As much as I hate Asuka, there are "love interests" in the tsundere category that are far worse. Mainly Naru from Love Hina. Characters liked that made tsunderes tiring and annoying. We're talking a character type so bad, that even the Japanese kinda got sick of them (nowhere near as much in the West; we're just f#cking done with them), and started toning them down in anime during the later 2010s.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Tropes of the time I suppose. The abrasive girl love interest was a lot more prevalent in anime back then, and I guess me and many others took it at face value. I come across a character like that in a show now and I'll fucking hate their guts. But no, I love Asuka. She's a *****, but she takes pride in her talent, and she's the only character who doesn't walk on eggshells around Shinji, which is what he needs. She also actually extends a hand to him a couple of times just to test the waters, but then quickly realizes he's too absorbed in his own self-esteem issues.
That's where I disagree. Forcing someone like Shinji to not only work, but actually live with someone who takes out her own insecurities on him is by no means what someone in his situation needed. Her behaviour is psychologically and physically abusive. If the genders were reversed it would be even more obvious.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's where I disagree. Forcing someone like Shinji to not only work, but actually live with someone who takes out her own insecurities on him is by no means what someone in his situation needed. Her behaviour is psychologically and physically abusive. If the genders were reversed it would be even more obvious.
Eh, he kinda does. And you could make the reversed gender argument with Misato with similar increminating results. And sure, Asuka slaps him once, but so does Rei, and Misato decks Ritsuko at one point. It's an anime trope, and not really indicative of Asuka being physically abusive. It's a bad trope and certainly through todays lense you could see it as physically abusive, but that would make Asuka no more physically abusive than Rei or Misato. And when you look back that slap that Rei gives him leaves much more of an emotional impact.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I have a great deal of love for Evangelion, mainly because I caught it on its initial airing in Australia in....I want to say 1998......when I was 12 so naturally a lot of the imagery, themes, and action blew the back of my skull off compared to what was available at the time.

So some of that love is definitely nostalgia. But I have rewatched the series several times since then and while I still love it - faults and all - it’s not for the same reasons as when I first loved it. I mean at first I hated Rei and Asuka to differing degrees but after I grew a bit and got a better understanding of tragedy in fiction I swung around to loving them. Also I think I’m in the super small minority that never hated Shinji; truth be told I felt for the kid, then and now.
Eh, he kinda does. And you could make the reversed gender argument with Misato with similar increminating results. And sure, Asuka slaps him once, but so does Rei, and Misato decks Ritsuko at one point. It's an anime trope, and not really indicative of Asuka being physically abusive. It's a bad trope and certainly through todays lense you could see it as physically abusive, but that would make Asuka no more physically abusive than Rei or Misato. And when you look back that slap that Rei gives him leaves much more of an emotional impact.
Uh, she flat out kicks him in the face that one time they were crawling through the vents because he was behind her and MIGHT have been looking up her dress. But since she was the leader(because of course she had to be) and thus HAD to go first, she put shinji in a position where he was forced to be behind her and then subject to physical assualt because HOW DARE LOOK AT HER BUTT when he literally has one direction he can look in a tiny narrow vent shaft.

That's abusive.